Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:30:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 137779 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #360 on: October 26, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »

Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras has died along with his girlfriend in car crash late this afternoon.

He was only 22, she was only 18.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:16:47 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #361 on: October 26, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »

Just heard the news. I was about to post about it. Very sad news Sad
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #362 on: October 26, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »

Just heard the news. I was about to post about it. Very sad news Sad

I'm in disbelief.

I saw him play in AA here in Tulsa for Springfield as 19 year old phenom.

He was going to be the Cards RF for years to come, such a bright future.

I'll never forget his first day in the big leagues this year, homered in his 2nd AB...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghcyeYLDJbM

2 kids, sad indeed.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #363 on: October 27, 2014, 06:36:27 PM »

Fox's Ken Rosenthal explains how they found out about Oscar's death and how he tried to convey it to the audience during last nights Game 5 in SF.

It's an incredible read, give it a look.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/bumgarner-makes-history-amid-taveras-death-in-game-5-world-series-giants-royals-102614

I will never forget when, where and how I heard the news.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #364 on: October 27, 2014, 07:45:39 PM »

Same here. I actually knew before they mentioned it on the broadcast. My MLB At Bat app on my phone sent me the notification moments before they mentioned it during the game.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #365 on: October 27, 2014, 11:10:18 PM »

Same here. I actually knew before they mentioned it on the broadcast. My MLB At Bat app on my phone sent me the notification moments before they mentioned it during the game.

I saw the rumors and subsequent confirmation on twitter, then Rosenthal's announcement made it all too real.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #366 on: October 28, 2014, 04:31:10 PM »

Just watched a Dominican news report from Oscar's funeral today, I couldn't understand a word that was being said but the emotion conveyed by his dad and teammate/best friend Carlos Martinez said it all.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

MLB has announced they will take a moment of silence before Game 6 tonight in KC and a number of players from both teams will be paying tribute to Oscar with "18" on their caps/gloves/spikes.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:35:21 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #367 on: October 28, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »

Finally they're doing something right. They've screwed up too many times this year with situations like this. First failing to mention Tony Gwynn at the all star game. Then they didn't mention the tragedies in Ottawa and the school shooting.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #368 on: October 29, 2014, 02:49:20 PM »

Finally they're doing something right.

No doubt.

Nice to see them actually broadcast it, pay respect to the young lady and kudos to the KC fans for pin drop silence.

Cards fanbase (me included) is still reeling, the organization lighting up RF in an empty Busch Stadium last night was a helluva nice tribute on the day of Oscar's funeral as well.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

cineater
Legend

« Reply #369 on: October 29, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »

I thought that was pretty cool too.

Damn, I can't believe I missed the Grateful Dead guys singing the national anthem in game 3 of the Cards and Giants.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #370 on: November 12, 2014, 08:35:28 PM »

Had heard rumblings in the STL media alcohol was probably a factor in the Taveras crash and subsequent death of he and his 18 year old companion, the rumors were indeed true.

.287 blood alcohol content - hammered.

http://deadspin.com/report-oscar-taveras-was-extremely-drunk-at-time-of-fa-1658138854?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #371 on: November 17, 2014, 08:04:09 PM »

Cards get Jason Heyward and Jordan Walden for Shelby Miller and Tyrell Jenkins.

I like the deal (for now) for the Cards, filling RF was a must with the passing of Oscar Taveras and Miller was expendable based on the depth of the Cards pitching both at the major and minor league levels.

J-Hey's a free agent at years end so time will tell if it's a match moving beyond but I like it for 2015 for sure.

Russell Martin gets 82 over 5 from the Blue Jays.

No that's not a typo.

Russell Martin just got 82 over 5.

Russell Martin.

rofl
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:45:44 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #372 on: November 18, 2014, 11:53:36 AM »

I like the deal (for now) for the Cards, filling RF was a must with the passing of Oscar Taveras and Miller was expendable based on the depth of the Cards pitching both at the major and minor league levels.

J-Hey's a free agent at years end so time will tell if it's a match moving beyond but I like it for 2015 for sure.

No that's not a typo.

Russell Martin.

rofl

If you think that's nuts, what are your thoughts on the Giancolo Stanton deal?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #373 on: November 18, 2014, 01:20:12 PM »

No that's not a typo.

Russell Martin.

rofl

Insanity.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #374 on: November 18, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »

No that's not a typo.

Russell Martin.

rofl

Insanity.
Totally agree. That deal is gonna hurt them when they need to resign some of their young talent.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #375 on: November 18, 2014, 01:54:53 PM »

No that's not a typo.

Russell Martin.

rofl

I really liked having Russell Martin on the NYY.  If memory serves me correctly, after a few injuries he didn't bounce back well at all.  But IMO during his overall time here he was above solid both catching & hitting.  Good instincts.  Handles pitching staff well.

82 over 5 does seem a bit much but I'm wondering since he's Toronto born if they're hoping for a big time marketing upswing if he has an exceptional year(s)?  He's certainly capable of exceptional.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:51:05 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #376 on: November 24, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »

Looks like the Red Sox are going to sign BOTH Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez to HUGE 5 year deals.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #377 on: November 24, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »

I never, ever, ever wanna hear another bitch, from a Red Sox fan, about the  Yanks spending habits. And to be clear...I think this is a good move by the sox front office. Instantly makes them one othe best, if not the best, in the Al east.

But after all the years of listening to sox fans talk about yanks buying rings.....this is sort of the ult irony. Wink

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #378 on: November 27, 2014, 01:11:11 AM »

I never, ever, ever wanna hear another bitch, from a Red Sox fan, about the  Yanks spending habits. And to be clear...I think this is a good move by the sox front office. Instantly makes them one othe best, if not the best, in the Al east.

But after all the years of listening to sox fans talk about yanks buying rings.....this is sort of the ult irony. Wink
Sox fans are one thing. The owners are even worse, mainly Lucchino, complaining about the Yanks spending habits and how they can't compete. Truth is, they tried the cheap route last year and they were miserable. The "prospects" weren't ready for prime time, and I'm not sure some of them ever will be. So they needed to do something different. Their lineup has become predominantly right handed, so Sandoval helps balance things a bit and fill the giant void at 3B. They overpaid for both guys, which you tend to do in free agency. But at least it's not long term. They're not close to done either. They need to trade a few guys from their current roster. Sounds like Cespedes is the most likely to go. Possibly for a Latos, Iwakuma, etc. Bundle some prospects to make a run at Hamels? Sign Lester? I've never believed he'd actually come back though, so I'll believe it when I see it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #379 on: December 04, 2014, 06:53:35 AM »

Sox fans are one thing. The owners are even worse, mainly Lucchino, complaining about the Yanks spending habits and how they can't compete. Truth is, they tried the cheap route last year and they were miserable. The "prospects" weren't ready for prime time, and I'm not sure some of them ever will be. So they needed to do something different. Their lineup has become predominantly right handed, so Sandoval helps balance things a bit and fill the giant void at 3B. They overpaid for both guys, which you tend to do in free agency. But at least it's not long term. They're not close to done either. They need to trade a few guys from their current roster. Sounds like Cespedes is the most likely to go. Possibly for a Latos, Iwakuma, etc. Bundle some prospects to make a run at Hamels? Sign Lester? I've never believed he'd actually come back though, so I'll believe it when I see it.

I expect the lying, double speak, and blatant posturing from ownership.  It's what they all do best (especially the big market teams).  And I'm lucky in that I don't interact with them on an almost daily basis. Wink

Yanks have been almost completely silent this off season...which is stupdendously stupifying.  Given their holes, and the state of their minor league systems...they have holes that they need to address, not least of which is someone (besides Ryan) to play SS every day.  And, you know...some folks who can actually HIT the ball might be nice.  The bullpen...ummm...they might actually need one (I don't think Betances can pitch 3 innings at a clip, every day).

Their rotation is generally OK, I think.

To be THIS silent, give what they need......it's just perplexing.  Unless they are completely writing off 2015 as a rebuilding year.

The Sox and Jays both look legit...and I think Baltimore will be good again this year, too.  AL East is just about back to "AL BEAST" status..just with some shuffling of who the beasts are.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: