Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:31:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227812 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  2 Types Of People : Those That Listened To Leaks...and Liars
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 Types Of People : Those That Listened To Leaks...and Liars  (Read 11021 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« on: February 26, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »

This is a topic that I have been kicking around for a bit. 

Before we get started, I want to go on record.

I personally feel that someone like me downloading and listening to leak does not do one iota of disservice to the band.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm such a megafan of these guys, I'm willing to scour the internet for anything I can get my hands on to tide me over.  That's a good thing, not a bad thing.  And never is there even one scintilla of doubt that I will buy the album the day it comes out.  I have not taken one penny out of the band's pocket.

So, having established that, here's another thing I believe.  I do not believe one person who tells me they never listened to a leak. 

Oh, I can see why they would *say* they never did.  If they are invested in painting anyone that ever downloaded a leak as some monster, logically, they have to claim that they don't engage in the practice.  But I don't believe them for a second.  You did not hang for all that time and hear those 14 songs for the first time on 11/23/08.

Where do you guys stand on this one?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 04:00:23 PM »

Honestly, I can see both sides of the coin.

On one hand, if something is not finished, as an artist I can see how it would bum me out if somehow something I was working on got out and was openly both admired and scrutinized. 

On the other hand, GNR is not your typical band.  It took over 10 years for GNR to finish and release Chinese Democracy.  We are now going on 6 years of waiting for the followup album.  To say GNR fans are "starved" for new material would be a gross understatement.  Curiosity can only be tapered for so long.

For example, if, say, The General leaked tonight...Yes, you bet your ass I would download it and listen to it about 500 times in a row.  Would I also buy the album it ends up on?  Again, you bet your ass.

So, it depends.  GNR fans are going to buy the album no matter what.  Passive rock fans on the other hand, not so much.  I think both make a decent percentage of who buys Guns N' Roses albums, so I can definitely see the harm in leaks ending up on their itunes.

Tough question, really. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:15:24 PM »

Oh, I absolutely see artist's problems with leaks, and you do a good job laying it out.  All valid.

But the fellow fans giving each other shit is odd to me.  Like you, if a leak comes out tonight, I'm all over it.  Shit, I listened to that 30 second snippet of 'I.R.S.' in horrendous quality probably 500 times.

But when a fellow fan started to lecture me, I'd look at him a bit askew, to put it mildly.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:21:59 PM »

Oh, I absolutely see artist's problems with leaks, and you do a good job laying it out.  All valid.

But the fellow fans giving each other shit is odd to me.  Like you, if a leak comes out tonight, I'm all over it.  Shit, I listened to that 30 second snippet of 'I.R.S.' in horrendous quality probably 500 times.

But when a fellow fan started to lecture me, I'd look at him a bit askew, to put it mildly.

I'm convinced those kinds of fans just like the sound of their own voice when they chide other fans.  They're non-factors, really. 

In my opinion, anyone on a GNR forum in 2014 who would take the time to download a GNR song that they know does not feature Slash, is 99% sure to buy the album when/if it drops.  It's pretty much a given.

Did it matter for Chinese Democracy?  It's certainly debatable, especially when you consider all the hype surrounding that album.  But now?  No, no leak could hurt this band.  If the song is good, quite the opposite, actually.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:33:15 PM by sofine11 » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 05:29:48 PM »

I have difficultly squaring their unhappiness over the leaks with them turning around and streaming the whole album online days before release.

I did not hear people say that an internet leak in 2006 stopped them from buying the album.  But I did hear people to say they listened to the stream and took a pass.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:32:29 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:09:01 PM »

I listen to leaks when I am aware of them, but I always support the artists and buy songs/albums legally if I like them.  To me, leaks can be like radio play as long as you don't abuse them illegally.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 09:28:56 AM »

I listen to leaks when I am aware of them, but I always support the artists and buy songs/albums legally if I like them.  To me, leaks can be like radio play as long as you don't abuse them illegally.

Agreed.

I see them as no different than concert bootlegs.  Look, if a band does like Pearl Jam and puts a bunch of shows out there to buy, I'd buy them.  I have bought them.

But if you don't, fine.  But I am going to seek out a concert bootleg.  I am not robbing you, because you aren't giving me the chance to buy it from you.

Furthermore, its not serving as a replacement for anything.  I'm not going to not buy a studio album if I got a concert from the tour.  The two are not the same thing.

Finally, if I am willing to both seek out and then listen to one of your concerts, perhaps not even in great quality, you should be damn thankful you have fans like me.  I am looking to further supplement my collection of your work.  That is a good thing for you, not a bad thing.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »

I truly have never downloaded a leak of any kind...

At the time of the CD leaks I wasn't very computer savvy, and I was always scared downloading music would fuck up my computer...lol

I recently heard Going Down after a friend of mine had it... thats the only GNR leak ive ever heard

but I agree with everything you said, anybody here who takes the time to download it and look for it is ALWAYS going to buy the hard copy when it becomes available

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »

There's different kinds of leaks.
You have the leaks of unfinished tracks, and then you have leaks of finished tracks/albums.

It's possible when you ask somebody if they listen to leaks they'll say "no" because they associate the term with one of those kinds of leaks.

Not all fans are computer savvy enough to find out how to get the leaked albums the second they leak. They just wait until it's on iTunes, Amazon or their local store.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »

There's different kinds of leaks.
You have the leaks of unfinished tracks, and then you have leaks of finished tracks/albums.

True.

And I think when a finished album is leaked a week before its set to drop, that is people looking to avoid paying for it.  I agree that is not good.

But the 3 leaks we all got in 2006, I considered placeholders.  Like seeing a trailer for a movie.  It got me excited this album might actually come out, which was an absolute fair question at that time.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 11:38:20 AM »

It's not like seeing a trailer. A trailer is usually approved by the people responsible for the movie. Not somebody deciding there needs to be a trailer out when the movie has no premiere date set.

If you wanna use the trailer analogy, Shackler's Revenge in Rock Band 2 was the "trailer". Or the band performing new and then unreleased songs live.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 11:46:28 AM »

It's not like seeing a trailer. A trailer is usually approved by the people responsible for the movie. Not somebody deciding there needs to be a trailer out when the movie has no premiere date set.

If you wanna use the trailer analogy, Shackler's Revenge in Rock Band 2 was the "trailer". Or the band performing new and then unreleased songs live.

After the total radio silence that was 2003-2005, there wasn't a whole lot to keep the belief going that this might even still happen.

The leaks in 2006 were an oasis in the desert to most of us.  As in, holy shit, he really does have more than the same 3 songs he's played us so far.  Hearing those leaks got a lot of us back onboard.

As for how they got out there, I don't know I subscribe to the theory the band was behind them.  Yes, they came out right before the first tour in 4 years.  And yes, what do you know, all the leaked songs happened to be in the setlists.  But that is largely circumstantial type evidence.

But let's also not dismiss that for all the supposed terribleness of the leaks, they got played on the radio and some even charted.  Wasn't like people shit on them.  That might have been a sign that was the time, and not a sign to wait 2 and a half more years to put in extremely minor changes.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »

Yes, you can say that the good thing that came out of those leaks was the increased excitement among fans.

My point was, it's not like a movie trailer which usually is sanctioned by the people who create the movie/tv series.

Yes the theories on how it happened are amusing. Just like you can find "evidence" for your theory, other evidence or past history suggests otherwise.
The band managed to play new songs live in 2001 and 2002 without leaking anything first. So why would they need to do it in 2006? Maybe they played those songs live because of the events.

The leaks charting just shows how hypocritical some of the media is. Once the album was out, suddenly they weren't so positive. The forbidden is cool and "edgy". Playing the song you're not supposed to play creates interest. Playing the new single when it's out is less "interesting".

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »

The leaks charting just shows how hypocritical some of the media is. Once the album was out, suddenly they weren't so positive. The forbidden is cool and "edgy". Playing the song you're not supposed to play creates interest. Playing the new single when it's out is less "interesting".

Most of the reviews in the press were positive.

Sure there were a few jokes about nothing should ever take this long, but that's just too damn bad.  If an otherwise positive interview is downgraded to negative in your eyes because of a little joke about what can only be honestly described as a ridiculous situation, that's pretty unfair, in my opinion.

Most negative reviews I saw were from fans, and fans that had long been on record they weren't going to accept the new line-up anyway.  You could have written those reviews before they even heard it.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »

I meant a magazine like Classic Rock who named the album album of the year before it was out!

Just like some fans, their review was done way before the album was out. But is suspect it's "cool" to hype the album that wasn't supposed to ever come out...

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 03:28:22 PM »

I meant a magazine like Classic Rock who named the album album of the year before it was out!

Just like some fans, their review was done way before the album was out. But is suspect it's "cool" to hype the album that wasn't supposed to ever come out...

And you saw that as a diss?  Interesting.

I know one publication (maybe it was them) said that Axl should release it because "its already better than Velvet Revolver".  Was that a diss?  Yeah, of VR, maybe.

Look, the album took a flat out ridiculous amount of time to come out.  I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect people not to have some fun with that.  But its just that...fun.  You have to be able to laugh at yourself, no?

Even as far back as the Vegas gig in 2001, doesn't Axl make a similar joke about the album that "god willing, we will finish someday"? 

Not every little bit of ball breaking is a declaration of war or some sign of disrespect out of a mafia movie.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »

No, I just saw it as an example of somebody using something "forbidden" to sell more magazines and then when they had the chance to actually support the artist, they chose not to.
Sensationalism sells.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 04:29:25 PM »

No, I just saw it as an example of somebody using something "forbidden" to sell more magazines and then when they had the chance to actually support the artist, they chose not to.

Perhaps the artist might have talked to them.

I have to be honest, I just don't see this near constant level of persecution you seem to see.  Axl took forever to get this thing out there, did not lift a finger to give these outlets anything to work with in terms of cooperation, and still got pretty good reviews.  That's pretty amazing.

Choosing to focus on the few that weren't blown away by the album seems like small potatoes.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 05:53:41 PM »

I'm not talking about reviews or anything, just observations of what happened before and after the release.

Like you said, radio stations were quick to play leaks until they were told to stop. Magazines speculated and wrote sensationalistic articles about the album because it wasn't supposed to come out.
Then it came out and then it was "just another record" among the others that came out at the time...

If you have ten songs coming out this week, and one of them isn't actually out. You're not supposed to play it. Suddenly it's more interesting. But if it was an actual single, it's just one of ten tracks that came out this week... That's the point I'm making.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 06:11:39 PM »

I see what you mean.

But "just another album"?  I expected it to be savaged.  All the build-up, the delay, Axl's general poor reputation with the media...I kind of expected a bloodbath.

The fact most were pretty positive I thought was proof the album was pretty decent.  It had next to nothing going for it momentum wise.

I think the momentum was there in 2006.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: