Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:50:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Brain Interview (hasn't been posted before)from 2006 "Bucket called me " for gnr
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain Interview (hasn't been posted before)from 2006 "Bucket called me " for gnr  (Read 3021 times)
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« on: March 02, 2014, 02:22:16 AM »

Bryan "BRAIN" Mantia interview
Budapest, 2006th May 30

TRANSLATED FROM SPANISH using Google Translate:

LINK HERE: http://endhits.hu/bryan-brain-mantia-interju-budapest-2006-majus-30/
Again, I am repaying an old debt. This interview appeared in the same back then printed in two places, but at the request of the editors as appropriate and properly cropped ?tszabva. The full original version is still lying in my account at the urging of many, and now you finally took the plunge to k?zkincs? me .

Bryan Mantia with the 2006th May managed to meet in Budapest. Brain of Primus from may be familiar to many, because in addition to the early period of the band was a dominant figure, he played drums under Les Claypool hands between 1996 and 2001, the Brown Album at the Rhinoplasty EP n and Antipop-on. This, coupled with key figures in the Praxis has played a Godflesh-out and appeared many times Bill Laswell, Buckethead, Tom Waits and next, but he's found himself a thoroughly mainstream productions. Serj Tankian's first solo acoustic album and Guns'n'Roses Chinese Democracy-Jan.

Today, Axl Rose and a selection of auxiliary musicians are left behind, but in the spring of 2006 Guns'n'Roses touring drummer has arrived to Budapest. I never listened to her music and G'n'R Axl Rose has always kept a hideous jaw and was very happy when my buddy Victor surprised two pieces of VIP tickets. I wanted to hear Brain Mantia is live. Then I almost missed this, since the show slipped a bit due to the unpredictability of Axl Rose, the first time it looked that it will remain so. Most of the audience hőb?rg?tt, demanded the return of the price of the ticket and sped home. What a good laugh at the way we are and we drank an iced tea in the cafeteria. Then I just became a concert is any sort.

But much more important is that when you received the ticket, I decided that I did not quite hear him play, I'm going to meet with Brain Mantia. The office manager with the finger and sent to my mother, I started searching the net for a few days before the concert and I found Brain minimum specific website. There was a kontaktc?m quickly and I also wrote him an e-mail. "Hi, I'm a Hungarian guy from a fanzine, would you like to bump up an interview?" And the next day came the reply: "Of course! A little before arriving in Budapest and I was free the night before the concert. Be the hotel at 10 pm. "

So, this was a slap in the face simple. Pouring rain, formatted the shit we've fallen into a chic downtown hotel, camera, tripod, diktofonnal late at night. In the first round, when v?gigsassz?ztunk muddy feet on the red carpet, we almost kicked you out of the clerk, and then when I announced to him that the guests came into the Guns'n'Roses drummer laughed loudly and began to call security on us. Then I just got him to just tell your phone already has a Brain, and when it fell to him that he was not joking, very surprised. Then came a bellboy took me one and a half minutes after us and we were Brain Mantia's suite, who had greeted us at the door like old buddies.

endhits.hu: Let's start with a trivial issue! Have you been to Hungary?

Brain: Not yet, this is the first time. I really like Budapest, and I am glad to separate tourists by that time has come as well. Yesterday, when I arrived, I took a walk around the hotel, the area, but I looked at the river, the bridges, and talking to locals in the city's history, I have seen old buildings and statues that still megl?tszanak in the bombing. In the evening, several members of the crew, consisting of a cozy ship spent.

endhits.hu: Europe is not unknown to you, touring with her around a few times ...

Brain: In fact, we went for it twice during the run-Primus, Praxis, then, together with the UN and the Disk, DJ, DJ Q-Bert, Mix Master Mike and Shortkut was also Invisbl featuring Skratch Piklz- Zel, and even last year I attended Tom Waits Real Gone c. ROM related tour is ... true, we did not come to Budapest, but they played in Germany, England and the Netherlands .

endhits.hu: Quite late, started playing drums at the age of 16. What was the reason?

Brain: Oh, the only skateboarding! Now you can just skate shoes viewer on the web, working in DC for good friends, I want to buy something from them.

endhits.hu: Deszk?zol yet?

Brain: Not really, snowboard OZEK more ...

endhits.hu: How did you get the drums?

Brain: a child fascinated by jazz drummers. Several times I went with my dad Miles Davis concert and was impressed by drummer Tony Williams play. One time while my mom took me to a large shopping center, a Buddy Rich action, I looked behind him and was totally amazed. All other instrument enables more energetic I found the drum was tough and vibrant as the snowboarding ... I do not know why, but my parents always took with them and they wanted to see these drummers, and these early experiences he had in effect ... When in high school suggested that this could be the school band drummer, immediately said yes, and before that I did not play at all.

endhits.hu: What rock bands clip?

Brain: It's been my favorite classics like Led Zeppelin, The Who and Jimi Hendrix, others did not really know, I was not even included in the music business and had no idea what was going on in the underground ... Later, when I started playing the drums , I got into a very powerful, mainstream California. It was the afro-beat, where they were pronounced by the music of the various tribal dances. This confirmed to me that I do not want anything else, just play, go to the clubs, and therefore turned more and more time to practice.

endhits.hu: Have you been to music school as well?

Brain: I studied in college for a while, then the n-PIT (Percussion Institute of Technology) ended up in Los Angeles, where I took a lot of hours and a half years and I learned a wide variety of styles and playing.

endhits.hu: The "Legends" According to learned very quickly!

Brain: For years I practiced eight hours a day, I was totally mad, I wanted to know everything.

endhits.hu: What musical currents, and which bands and drummers have affected your play? How were your own style?

Brain: When I began to inquire more seriously towards the drums, the radio was the first true master. I listened for hours, I got up and slept with him, I rushed home from school to keep up something that even I had to with headphones carrying around with me. As rock and metal stations were still not constantly funk and R & B was listening to and I found myself constantly playing these themes. So these songs were very serious impact on me, and later, when I touched the rock, the groove was looking at important things. Large metal'm a fan, and the feeling of the pulse, which is the Slayer out, and Dave Lombardo from dry, completely captivated, but the same was true hip-hop at all, the early Public Enemy funds were quite violent, but they were also the crazy funky. So the first effect, the catchy funk and hard rock was to be nominated, but it was totally instinctive. When I began to study, and then began to deliberate practice. My teacher showed me a jazz technique, and I wanted to know how to play, and I wanted to sing through perfectly. There was no alternative, so at home I sat down to watch a two and a half hour football or basketball game, or a Bruce Lee movie while pressed without stopping the sving was ...

endhits.hu: Every day you practice?

Brain: When I'm on tour and keep playing, you can not. Before I move a little concert, soundcheck and the perfect time to warm up. In my spare time I edit music on your computer and dobprogramokat and it is enough.

endhits.hu: Recently a new surprise, drumming with double issues stood for. Since using duplicates?

Brain: I started quite late to deal with it, and in the Guns'n'Roses not use it now, maybe if you can build in a drum solo show. Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains disk already played doubling topics, but there are also being promoted at concerts. Two years ago, when we saw him Buckethead del-create the album The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell, he is asked to continually squeeze, so the footage was preceded by a tough, six-month exercise. Many drummers think that the double down no more, just enough to move the data to another hi-hat foot pedal controls. Much more than that, and for me it was my goal to get more doubling technique to master, and not only fast, but you can easily use it without cramping. As an example, two large doubling favorite metal drummer stood in front of me, the above mentioned Dave Lombardo and Vinnie Paul.

endhits.hu: I know you are big fan of Frank Zappa ...

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
gunns1
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:22:45 AM »

Brain: Yeah, and I'm especially big fan of Terry Bozzio, he is my idol, we met a few times too! It's amazing to play ...

endhits.hu: What was the first real band?

Brain: The Limbomaniacs. It was cool to have a group of friends and together we can drive Stinky Grooves address. Then I got into the Godflesh, in a way that my niece was at that time the manager of Mr. Bungle, Mike Patton's and the Godflesh was my favorite band, and he said that they just need a drummer. Then it all went on from there: two drums for Godflesh album, more on Praxis, Primus disc three, but played with Tom Waits, Buckethead and Bootsie Collins materials. Most recently, Les Nations, Bernie Worrell and Buckethead-del-lel, we have just talked about Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains as we played together.

endhits.hu: If you already mention it was Les, let's talk a bit about the Primus! By 1989, the band played for a short time, and then suddenly I got out of it. What happened?

Brain: a party preoccupied with the San Francisco Keystone Club, which was a very real opportunity for us. However, I was then still actively skateboarding and broke my leg. The band, however, was in urgent need of a drummer Tim Alexander and found him away. Once taken off the plaster, on the other, the aforementioned bands continued.

endhits.hu: Tim are friends for?

Brain: Yeah, in '96 he asked me to switch to Primus in, and so I got back on the team again. Then came a lot of drummers from all over the world to play the same way and just as good as Tim, but if you have it turned Les wanted to try something new, and chose me. We're totally different drummers, Tim more rhythm, the rhythm and the sound formulas are interested in me and the groove, the vibe.

endhits.hu: Did you see Tim separate DVDs?

Brain: You have very good! After I came out of the DVD-m, the Brain's Lessons, Tim earned, and I like to see him, and asked me to help put together his.

endhits.hu: Why did you decide that you issue your own DVD?

Brain: I was watching videos of drummers for years, but most of them bored. They were very brittle tutorials, but I wanted to do something fun. As a skater, I love to skate videos, especially the loose, humorous scenes and hangv?tel?k for: ?k?rk?dve teach those guys! That's what I was trying to achieve, Warner Brothers and released the biting! Now, I work for a brand new DVD, together with the company DW, Buckethead in it too, but not until 2007 will be released, or perhaps, if all goes well, have come out this year for Christmas. This new publication will be a much more serious proposals, but will be able to order directly from my website as well.

endhits.hu Les has a private voice studio in Rancho RELAX. What do you know about it and when did you start working there?

Brain: built in the mid-'90s, and the South Park theme song was the first thing we recorded there, and then there was the inclusion of a full high lemeznyi material, it was made ​​by Primus Brown Album. The Rancho RELAX Les plot can be found right beside the house and it has a small farm and a small lake, so you can be there to fish, sit ... The key is to not ticking clock, so it worked when it felt like it added, please feel free jammelhett?nk , it was time to develop the ideas. There were two days I went snowboarding, and by the time I came back, Les planted the drums to play a fund because it has a great theme ... Rancho Relax-in no-limit, there is no set work schedule, always take it easy, an excellent place to relax , hence its name. Les is still there all prepared plate.

endhits.hu: The Brown Album of the last decades of the most brutal megsz?lal?s? rock album. What did you use for the drum recordings?

Brain: In contrast to previous Primus plates, and Tim is less rapid decay drums, harsh sound we wanted to achieve. Therefore, I purchased a used primarily blues band?kn?l, 26 "bass drum, and more, 14", containing a concert drum kit, 16 "and 18" toms. These brutal dobtestek bottom were open and as a result of this serious, violent, echoing sound. The Brown Album otherwise very divided audiences, some people went crazy for it, others loathed it.

endhits.hu: How did you meet Buckethead-del?

Brain: An old guitar player friend introduced me to him, about 15 years ago. I thought we could work together just fine, and I did, we are very good friends ever since.

endhits.hu: What was the first joint labors?

Brain: The Giant Robot Project. Otherwise, I'm working on this material, it will appear again, with some remix. Sketches, I make demos, and stores them on my laptop, and then, and then when I get back to the tour, we continue to work together. In fact we are planning a duet boards, crazy, free, improvised pieces. In addition to the three other Giant Robot Buckethead disc, the game, Colma, Monsters & Robots and albums, The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell.

endhits.hu: How to work with Buckethead-del? He composed and controlled, or operated completely real band?

Brain: We always work together, everyone brings their own ideas and shaping them together. We're trying, we studio and concerts. It's not just Buckethead-del is so, but Les Nations, Bootsie, with even the new Guns'n'Roses-run as well. All true collaboration work!

endhits.hu: Do you know who to cover the mask?

Brain: Yes.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
gunns1
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 02:23:05 AM »

endhits.hu When Buckethead leaves the stage, takes off his mask?

Brain: Uh ... no. If you were here in this interview, you can not take it off, as long as you're here. But the truth is that the mask does not make him one, who is hiding behind the mask of the personality itself Buckethead. Everything you see is actually him. Just because the bear mask as embarrassed, embarrassed in public.

endhits.hu: What his everyday life?

Brain: He is also a Buckethead. I do not drive a car in just two years, have your credit card, you do not actually do anything, as we, the "normal" average people. So, his character is not a scam, everything you see and hear it, it is quite true. If you can not wear the mask, so even leading the life and play music like this.

endhits.hu: Buckethead's Secret Recipe DVD on a scene where you and another guy expect me Buck at the airport. Appears only once among the passengers, with the box on his head, his face a mask. Really travel that way? You can catch a plane so?

Brain: Yeah, that's a real scene in the early '90s, I met him for the first time. 2,001th so could travel before September 11, but since then no longer carry the plane.

endhits.hu: They often come out with another cult figure, in addition to Tom Waits. How did you do to him?

Brain: Les knew Tom, who was looking for a recording session drummer. Les has recommended to me as who is just fine with a wide variety of styles as well, so Tom invited. I hear the Bone Machine, Mule Variations and Real Gone was the last albums, but I'm not just a studio musician, often playing it live.

endhits.hu: What kind of drums Tom Waits recording session? Can we explain this serious, bounced off sound?

Brain: Tom does not like the commercial, business of any available instruments, the crazy things he drums and the odd lover. Military bands march dobjait old snare and 30 "nagydobjait used cars and cint?ny?rk?nt karbur?torait, rail cars or street tires stretched manholes ... So, anything that is not normal! As Tom gets older, more serious, and that this is great!

endhits.hu: When and how did you get into the Guns'n'Roses?

Brain: I joined in mid-2000 after its predecessor, Josh Freeze left the band, and I point I was free, because immediately after the New Year I played my last concert Primus run. Buckethead was already a member of Guns'n'Roses's, and he called me to try out. But now he is not in the band, in 2004, got out, he wanted to focus on the works, but this does not affect things in us, constantly keep in touch, and as I mentioned, we are developing a new joint album.

endhits.hu: The Guns'n'Roses career legpopul?risabb band, in contrast to all previous, experimental, funny, avant-garde project. Why did you accept the invitation? What motivated the career opportunity of a good company or a financial ass?

Brain: The experience and new experiences are driven, when I accepted the invitation. Guns'n'Roses had not really listened to the music, even though they were songs that I admired, Axl is kept in a "crazy" freak. Fully else offered me this band as the previous ones, though perhaps this is for me the least popular productions, because people are not particularly interested to see who is sitting behind the drums, it's more of Axl party. The fans, the states do not go to concerts Guns'n'Roses me, but they know that I'm playing a much more serious things, know that I worked / work with Tom Waits, Praxis Nations, del, Buckethead, Primus-run and you say, do not appear on a Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains concert, everyone freak out, because I'm an equal, a pillar of the team. But here the situation is quite different, I do not care about the fans Guns'n'Roses. They somehow k?peződik it off, "Oh, it was in Axl, what beautiful songs sung, what a success ... ah, yes, the drummer had no bad ... but who was he??" Curiosity brought the guns into, I've never played such a large, successful band, just wanted to try myself in such a situation. My career or money is much less of a factor in the decision, as a Primus or a Tom Waits tour, I gained a lot more because I was a member of the band. I prefer the productions of this part, anonymously, in the background, behind Axl and guitarists.

endhits.hu: How to work with Axl?

Brain: If you want to work, it is very easy. Rather, the problem is that it is difficult to get him to come to cool off, it is difficult to follow him, much has happened to him, the people and the press are all kinds of wear it ... so much pressure on him. The new album, however, that already I play very well done and very well about.

endhits.hu: What types of drums and Cinekid currently using?

Brain: dobtesteket and DW hardware Remo skins, Zildjian cymbals and Vicfirth verőket. The DW and Zildjian has long been a help, the best teams I've ever worked with, and the Remo Vicfirth relatively new, but seem to be very good. The DW is because I dig very much because they support for the game and the person that they do not care what kind of band that I play when I get out of this successful team behind me would be the same. As I said, my DVD will help you prepare well.

endhits.hu: The current tour utaztatj?tok all the drum kit or use a local set?

Brain: The same play every spot, a red DW dobcuccon what we have over here from America to Europe.

endhits.hu: Do you know the Cinekid Istanbul?

Brain: Yeah, I got a set Timtől, Danny Carey offered her to make her a try.

endhits.hu: The Istanbul more often compared because of the quality and sound of Zildjian to. Do you agree?

Brain: Yes, definitely. Otherwise, I like Paiste, too, but for me the best Zildjian prepares Cinekid, say, there is also experience, as they are one of the oldest companies in the market. Istanbul plates are thinner, smooth, warm voice is, I used them too, but I hate to see more dirtier, noisier Cinekid unanimous.

endhits.hu: You have your own drumstick named model?

Brain: Not yet, but hopefully will be soon, namely the Vicfirth at. One of the conditions of doing that for a long time to spend with them, but our cooperation is still only a few months ago, but the issue already raised.

endhits.hu: Do you collect unique, old drums?

Brain: Yes, pergőket, from the 30-ies up in the '60s, '70s. These old snare drums are made ​​of aluminum, copper, steel, various metals, and we use these very large Tom Waits when shooting. That's why I love the DW is because of his dobjaiknak wood and metal in different configurations and different voice is like in those old drums. Very tricky thing to go on tour with drums old, 30-40 years old stands have been very easy to break and struggled with the technicians hurt. DW guarantees the old, massive sound, new hardware is fine, however, endure greater stress.

endhits.hu: What shoes drumming?

Brain: I usually wear skate shoes, nowadays mainly DC models.

endhits.hu: Finally a day to take the tour?

Brain: Wow, I'm really enjoying the present term has advance! Usually I am and I'm going for my laptop awake until dawn 4. Buckethead send me the guitar tracks, I edit my foundations under them when I finished number one, come to the other! So we work together, so put into practice the cooperation you have mentioned. I'm concerned with what I like. In the meantime, I look for a city, but the continuous work on the most important, the others do not really care about ...

endhits.hu: someone will accompany them on tour? Girlfriend, wife, family, friends?

Brain: No, no one can come to me. Otherwise, I'm married, but my wife is at home in San Francisco, since 8 months pregnant! By the time I get home, the child is born, so I'm very excited!

And thus ended the official part of the conversation, but we are still around. We stayed there for half an hour in the room. Dedik?ltattam a dozen CD covers, fanzine-Hungarian and Hungarian underground bands plates containing a compilation CD I gave Brain's, then posed for the camera and shoot a good 10 minutes about us patiently. Then asked for our advice, which we think of shoes with us, and then we can listen to fabricate new Buckethead and Brain duet plate, which later at Kevin's Noodle House appeared. Then he said good-bye, in the main hall beintett?nk the doorman, then pushed a lousy t-gyros around the J?szai.

Photos by Victor G?NCZ.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:24:46 AM by gunns1 » Logged

gunns1
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 02:24:03 AM »

Sorry about the 3 posts, but there was a 10,000 character limit, I had to split it up in 3 posts , translation was from google so obviously it's not 100% legible

banachkevin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 01:39:43 PM »

this is why i like frank a 100x better than brain at least he cares about guns n roses fans!

Vancouver2002,Edmonton2006,Saskatoon2010,Las Vegas2012,Las Vegas 2014,Toronto 2016
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 02:38:24 PM »

Always like Brain, he seems like an honest fellow. I do however think that some things may have got lost in translation in this interview. I think it's great that he agreed to do this interview with the fan in the first place, really cool thing to do.  Smiley

Shame it wasn't posted sooner though...
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 03:16:39 PM »

Always like Brain, he seems like an honest fellow. I do however think that some things may have got lost in translation in this interview. I think it's great that he agreed to do this interview with the fan in the first place, really cool thing to do.  Smiley

Shame it wasn't posted sooner though...

The translation is bad, and quite misleading in some places  hihi
gunns1
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 11:56:27 PM »

any Hungarian translators here?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: