Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:52:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  What do you think of Axl's voice right now?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you think of Axl's voice right now?  (Read 19969 times)
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 02:31:49 PM »

There's a BIG diference of youtube and live. I was there the other night and is allways like that.
Youtube is not a parameter to compare.

There's NO difference.

The only difference is that you're in the middle of a screaming crowd, jumpin, drinkin, watching at the lights, at the pyros etc. You're not focused only on the voice. That's it.

Rasp is not everything, I personally love clean voice. But to Axl is everything, it's his trademark. His clean voice doesn't sound good, it's frail, weak....It sounds like he's trying to put a lot of energy in but he just can't. Hope he will get better, I want to hear him screaming like a god again  Grin

The problem is one of credibility.  

No one said shit about Youtube's supposed unreliability when he sounded great.  Along the same lines, no one has ever posted a clip of him sounding great, and then throwing in that its that pesky unreliable Youtube, so who knows if its accurate?  These things simply don't happen.  Youtube gets called into question when you have to put lipstick on a pig.

And yes, that last bit is most people's whole problem.  It does sound weak.  What we hear these days is barely Axl Rose.  And it sounds like a guy trying to do an Axl Rose performance, but can't any longer.

The reason no one complains about YouTube's unreliability when clips sound great is because YouTube isn't adding anything to make clips sound better. That's just common sense. However, mic quality on the camera used to record, plus quality loss during the conversion process (YouTube certainly isn't lossless), and crowd noise, and the fact that you're usually getting clips that are recorded by a device not best suited for live recordings, that are picking up sound from multiple amps/speakers all over the venue, well - all that WILL make things sound worse. Again, it's common sense, but I get that common sense isn't very common sometimes.

Let me put it this way, Axl's got his up and down nights, and up and down moments song to song. The best I heard him and the band was 2011 (having seen 2 shows in 02, 06, 10, one in 11, and one in 13), and the 2013 show I saw was probably in the middle of the eight gigs I've been to. And despite that there was only a song or two that I felt he was off on live (YCBM really standing out) - yet people who weren't at the show insisted I didn't know what I was talking about based on a couple semi-complete, poorly captured Youtube clips.

And in regards to the comment (not yours) that you're not focused on the voice when in the crowd because of other distractions - personally that's what I am focused on. Half the time in the crowd you have an obstructed view but your ears are always open, aside from people around you singing along - but your ears usually do a much better job than someone's phone in their pocket or whipped out in the crowd while they're bouncing up and down (also fucking up audio quality).
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2014, 02:36:48 PM »

I'll also have to disagree on your assessment of his clean voice.

Its a putting toothpaste back in the tube type of situation.

Had he come up and established his entire career singing that way, it would be more acceptable.  But its not the voice he used coming up and made him a star.  So when people are raised on that for over 20 years, and then you hear him now, there is a real feeling that something has gone terribly wrong.

Axl was not a good vocalist in the traditional sense.  But his delivery was unique and what people expect from Axl Rose.  I would put Eddie Vedder in the same category.  Hardly a classically trained vocalist, but he has a sound you know and come to like.  So if you went to a Pearl Jam concert, and he is suddenly singing in some half ass falsetto, people are going to point it out and likely going to think something is wrong.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2014, 02:37:05 PM »

the traditional how does axl sound in my opinion did not fail to surface this time either.
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=65766.msg1364848#new
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:38:46 PM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2014, 03:03:09 PM »

A few rounds with Sebastian's vocal coach might get him back on track again. Personally I don't think it sounds too bad but it's not the same voice that it was. It's got to be difficult to sing that way anyway. At least he's still out there working and paying off his Ch.Democracy bill Smiley

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »

[/

Axl was not a good vocalist in the traditional sense.  But his delivery was unique and what people expect from Axl Rose.  I would put Eddie Vedder in the same category.  Hardly a classically trained vocalist, but he has a sound you know and come to like.  So if you went to a Pearl Jam concert, and he is suddenly singing in some half ass falsetto, people are going to point it out and likely going to think something is wrong.

AXl has been noted to be one of the best if not the best of the 80's singers by his highly regarded vocal coach..
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2014, 03:17:24 PM »

AXl has been noted to be one of the best if not the best of the 80's singers by his highly regarded vocal coach..

Then let's get him on the horn and wire him a plane ticket, stat.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2014, 03:26:01 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPzsB0iLJ4M

here is the best footage of the other night so far... camera doesnt move

axl really sounds good on some of these... so I get why the defense team is out in full effect... he really killed iTs So Easy

but coming here and stating that he is better today than a few years ago... what are you trying to prove?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 03:37:17 PM »

There's a BIG diference of youtube and live. I was there the other night and is allways like that.
Youtube is not a parameter to compare.

There's NO difference.

The only difference is that you're in the middle of a screaming crowd, jumpin, drinkin, watching at the lights, at the pyros etc. You're not focused only on the voice. That's it.

Rasp is not everything, I personally love clean voice. But to Axl is everything, it's his trademark. His clean voice doesn't sound good, it's frail, weak....It sounds like he's trying to put a lot of energy in but he just can't. Hope he will get better, I want to hear him screaming like a god again  Grin

The problem is one of credibility.  

No one said shit about Youtube's supposed unreliability when he sounded great.  Along the same lines, no one has ever posted a clip of him sounding great, and then throwing in that its that pesky unreliable Youtube, so who knows if its accurate?  These things simply don't happen.  Youtube gets called into question when you have to put lipstick on a pig.

And yes, that last bit is most people's whole problem.  It does sound weak.  What we hear these days is barely Axl Rose.  And it sounds like a guy trying to do an Axl Rose performance, but can't any longer.

Generation X.............are you possesed? 

And btw,of course when he was sounding great no one said its becuase of youtube.LOL.when i saw gnr in 2010 they sounded great in the concert,i remember stand quiet in roquet queen because was the song i was most looking for,and fuck yes,there was rasp an stronge voice,and so did in youtbe.So fuck to the mistery of youtube.If he is not sounding good its here,youtube and in the whole plante
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »

ive checked videos of the show,i think Axl is improving his voice he sing civil war with rasp in some parts,but he is far from what i saw in 2010.I would love to know wtf happens with his voice,maybe he blow it he has been in the road since 2008 and his way of sing is hard for the troath,i think we all have tried to sound like axl sometimes Grin but........i dont know.

I've seen the band in 2010, 2011 and 2014, and trust me he never had a better voice than last night. Youtube is no parameter at all.

its and old discusion we are in 2014,magic its not longer real,the cameras dont steal your soul,and with youtube you can see and watch how good axl sound in 2006 and 2010 and how is sounding in 2011-2014.

Hahahaha

How some of these arguments are made with a straight face, I'll never know.

Straight face? what happens to axl voice? is the only who cant be capture on youtube? ive seen tons of bootlegs of iron maiden,metallica,acdc,black sabbath and you can see when they fuck up.But here there are some guys that belive in witchery? LOL and you tell me with a straight face,i put some irony btw.

Compare 2010 shacklers revenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQpk2_Xzb-8

with 2014 shacklers revenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujr0zAEGTwI

dont you miss something?

Quite a diff.  He still sings well on many clips from the show with Duff.  2010 was almost a fluke I guess....LOL 

I would love to hear that voice again...But I am still amazed at the show from the other night!

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2014, 04:13:11 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPzsB0iLJ4M

here is the best footage of the other night so far... camera doesnt move

axl really sounds good on some of these... so I get why the defense team is out in full effect... he really killed iTs So Easy

but coming here and stating that he is better today than a few years ago... what are you trying to prove?

"loyalty"

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2014, 04:18:03 PM »

And btw,of course when he was sounding great no one said its becuase of youtube.LOL.when i saw gnr in 2010 they sounded great in the concert,i remember stand quiet in roquet queen because was the song i was most looking for,and fuck yes,there was rasp an stronge voice,and so did in youtbe.So fuck to the mistery of youtube.If he is not sounding good its here,youtube and in the whole plante

Not possessed, but I will admit to having a hell of a time following you here.  Haha.

Sometimes it seems like you agree with me, other times it seems you are in opposition to what I'm saying.  Sometimes, within the same post.

The simplest way to put what I think is that your ears don't lie.  So when you play the clip from 2006 and it sounds good, its because it does.  When you play one from 2011 onwards and it doesn't sounds as good, its because it doesn't.  That's the bottom line.  No need to jump through all these hoops. 

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2014, 04:52:27 PM »

Its a putting toothpaste back in the tube type of situation.

Had he come up and established his entire career singing that way, it would be more acceptable.  But its not the voice he used coming up and made him a star.  So when people are raised on that for over 20 years, and then you hear him now, there is a real feeling that something has gone terribly wrong.

That wasn't the point I was making.  Not that I don't understand what you're saying.  But, I disagree with the previous assessment of his clean vocal tone.

Ali
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2014, 04:58:30 PM »

Not possessed, but I will admit to having a hell of a time following you here.  Haha.

Sometimes it seems like you agree with me, other times it seems you are in opposition to what I'm saying.  Sometimes, within the same post.

The simplest way to put what I think is that your ears don't lie.  So when you play the clip from 2006 and it sounds good, its because it does.  When you play one from 2011 onwards and it doesn't sounds as good, its because it doesn't.  That's the bottom line.  No need to jump through all these hoops. 

LOL,so now the youtube is good.Its time to go bed and take your pills.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2014, 05:00:30 PM »

You know...I held back on a smartass retort twice.  But that's over.

Learn to fucking read.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2014, 05:01:39 PM »

That wasn't the point I was making.  Not that I don't understand what you're saying.  But, I disagree with the previous assessment of his clean vocal tone.

I think any major vocal switch for any major established act is going to be an issue.

kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2014, 05:09:31 PM »

You know...I held back on a smartass retort twice.  But that's over.

Learn to fucking read.

You said that Axl was ok,then Axl made a career with the rasp,you said that the youtube its not ok,then yes. rofl

That its the problem when you try to defend something that you cant.And loyality doesnt mean not think and not say hey axl,you did not sing good today.Because maybe he needs someone to say him,you better find yourself again.

Until next time. Cry
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2014, 05:13:11 PM »

That its the problem when you try to defend something that you cant.And loyality doesnt mean not think and not say hey axl,you did not sing good today.Because maybe he needs someone to say him,you better find yourself again.

I could not agree with this more.

But really, who is that person telling him that in the current fold?  Sadly, nobody.

slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »

I've seen GNR 22 times since 06 and I can say first hand that he usually sounds much better live than on youtube videos

Even on the London 2012 pro shot he sounds worse than he did on the day

Take Tokyo 1992, the only official live recording ever released and he doesn't sound great on that either

Axl has always been a performer who's voice depends on the way it sounds when he wakes up that morning (something that definitely adds to the lates)

In fact i'll go out on a limb and say the fact that the shows are starting on time may have something to do with his voice not sounding as expected some times and he giving in and going anyways instead of indulging in whatever rituals he once went through

I'm ignoring the 2001 and 2002 era because he literally had to retrain his voice for 2006

But all in all I don't remember people going on about how good his voice was in 2010 except for the Duff show and Dublin.
Both of the above were in exceptional circumstances too and a lot of people complained that he wasn't as good as 2006 back then

Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »

Well I've heard the YouTube clips and I think they sound excellent. 
Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2014, 06:54:09 PM »

This thread has gone waaaaay off topic...Jarmo will soon lock it. Lets go back to Argentina videos plz. Ill soon post an article a brazilian singing teacher posted regarding Axls voice....its a very long and interesting article...talks about Axls surgeries, his vocal issues, his techniques...

14/apr/2010 @Apoteose Rio | 02/oct/2011 @Rock in Rio 2011 | 20/mar/2014 @HSBC Arena Rio | 12/nov/2016 @Alllianz Park S?o Paulo | 15/nov/2016 @Est?dio Engenh?o Rio | 23/sep/2017 @ Rock in Rio 2017
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: