Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:49:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Matt Sorum Says Launch Of Velvet Revolver Was 'Biggest' Moment Of His Career
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matt Sorum Says Launch Of Velvet Revolver Was 'Biggest' Moment Of His Career  (Read 6074 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: May 06, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »

MATT SORUM Says Launch Of VELVET REVOLVER Was 'Biggest' Moment Of His Career

In a brand new interview with Rock Revolt Magazine, former GUNS N' ROSES and VELVET REVOLVER drummer Matt Sorum was asked what he considers to be the biggest moment or high point in his career, and also the low point. "My personal biggest moment was VELVET REVOLVER," he replied. "Because at a certain point during the formation, I was like, 'Can we really do this? Can we really pull this off again?' And we all did. We got together and had a very successful band after GUNS N' ROSES. That was really icing on the cake, especially for Slash, Duff [McKagan] and myself. To be able to come out of a band that big, and basically have Hollywood turn their back on us, was initially very difficult ? and the answer to the low point. To go back and reinvent ourselves wasn't easy. When we managed to do just that, we were very, very ecstatic.

"Duff and I came out of a subway one day in New York City and some kid yelled at us, 'Hey! You're Duff and Matt from VELVET REVOLVER!' That was the first time we ever heard that after years of, 'Hey it's Duff and Matt from GUNS N' ROSES!' And we knew right then that everything was going to be alright. We were able to move on; we were able to move forward."

VELVET REVOLVER released two full-length albums through RCA/Sony BMG ? 2004's "Contraband" and 2007's "Libertad" ? before dismissing singer Scott Weiland back in April 2008.

VELVET REVOLVER reunited with Weiland for a four-song set in January 2012 at a Los Angeles tribute concert for late songwriter John O'Brien, but the band has otherwise remained inactive.

At one point it was reported that VELVET REVOLVER was going to team with STONE SOUR and SLIPKNOT vocalist Corey Taylor, but the idea was ultimately vetoed by Slash. The group and Taylor recorded demos of 10 songs together.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/matt-sorum-says-launch-of-velvet-revolver-was-biggest-moment-of-his-career/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 11:25:22 PM »

I really do miss VR.  I have said many times before that I actually really liked Libertad.  I know I am one of the few.  I wish the band would get back together full time, but I don't think it will ever happen. 
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »

I really do miss VR.  I have said many times before that I actually really liked Libertad.  I know I am one of the few.  I wish the band would get back together full time, but I don't think it will ever happen. 

Yeah I can dig Libertad as well. Solid album. Never understood the hate for it.
I guess it probably has to do with some people viewing VR as Slash?s band, and he sort of took a backseat to Scott.
Libertad sounds more Weiland influenced.
I would have preferred the next record go in a heavier direction, but still spin Libertad occasionally and it holds up well.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »

Yeah I can dig Libertad as well. Solid album. Never understood the hate for it.
I guess it probably has to do with some people viewing VR as Slash?s band, and he sort of took a backseat to Scott.
Libertad sounds more Weiland influenced.
I would have preferred the next record go in a heavier direction, but still spin Libertad occasionally and it holds up well.

Agree, tho i prefer Contraband but Libertad is really great.
I have always thought that it contains some of best rhythm guitar work in rock n roll by dave kushner!

Great band, and im positive that scott is unreplacable in there, hes one of my favorite front men all time.

Good times back then  smoking (contraband is 10 years old. nostalgia...) yeah...

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 03:27:56 PM »

That's scary to think VR started 10 years ago...... shit time flies

I've said this before, it's a shame this band didn't do more, Contraband is one of my favorite records.... by any band

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Rickles
Opening Act

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 08:44:18 AM »

I agree. A great band with great potential for a long and illustrious career, had it not been for Scott Weiland's unfortunate disease. And I too remember thinking how amazing it was they had managed to pull of another #1 band, not just Slash, Duff and Matt, but also Scott. Especially considering the climate of rock music at the time. VR was quite unique. They are missed.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 12:59:08 PM »

That's scary to think VR started 10 years ago...... shit time flies

I've said this before, it's a shame this band didn't do more, Contraband is one of my favorite records.... by any band

Totally a shame they didn't do more.  I don't think we'll see Slash and Duff return to a 'big band' for the remainder of their careers.  Slash looks like he is having a great time with Myles Kennedy and Duff has Loaded and Walking Papers. 

I appreciate Matt making the comment that this was the biggest moment of his career.  GNR was something that he was fortunate enough to be a part of.  He was active in launching VR and making it a success. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: