Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash new album "world on fire"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash new album "world on fire"  (Read 40358 times)
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2014, 07:29:50 PM »

I like the three songs so far. I can't wait for the album! Why can't Axl find that same drive to create new music?Huh
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2014, 10:28:34 PM »

^Really like that song!
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »

'The Dissident', 'Iris Of The Storm', 'Withered Delilah' and 'Safari Inn' are my favorites so far on first listen Cool

So far it's much better then I expected Cheesy
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2014, 12:58:31 AM »

The Dissident is my favorite

Production wise this is hands down the best sounding record Slash has ever done!
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2014, 04:59:50 AM »

The album sounds pretty cool.. got some great songs, catchy. lots of nice guitar work Cool
I like it better then 'Apocalyptic Love', but not better then 'Slash' which I still think is the best post-GN'R album he's released.

There's only one factor missing, which is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u68_20R3K9s

Tongue
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2014, 10:15:27 AM »

I agree!
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2014, 11:24:40 AM »

Definitely better than AL. More diverse not as bland with straight forward watered down punk/rock. I love Punk but its gotta be loud, fast and sloppy like the Misfits. Not Punk/Rock Hybrid
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2014, 04:15:23 AM »

Slash 'a solo on Dissident is special Up there with his alltime best

Goosebumps
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2014, 02:01:14 AM »

The album sounds pretty cool.. got some great songs, catchy. lots of nice guitar work Cool
I like it better then 'Apocalyptic Love', but not better then 'Slash' which I still think is the best post-GN'R album he's released.

Tongue

Who is playing lead on that song... Nice solos!!

Sounds like some call and response with izzy and someone else.
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2014, 01:10:07 PM »

Tongue

Who is playing lead on that song... Nice solos!!

Sounds like some call and response with izzy and someone else.

The same guitarist that has been with Izzy since the Ju Ju Hounds, Rick Richards! Former Georgia Satellites..

He's in the vain of Slash yet more classic rock / country sounding. Very diverse guitarist who in my opinion is capable of playing very melodic leads without a note too much - like Slash.
The 2012 Izzy singles (appearantly part of un unreleased album) seem a peak in Izzy's songwriting/lyrics again aswell as Rick's playing.

Here's the other 2012 single, also with Rick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty5WP355YjA&list=UUYk21qxgtM5b0vb_PDB2qSQ

I don't know how familiar you are with Izzy's work, but here are just a few songs (there are many more) which showscases Rick's solos..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKrj13nvjyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qln3gAqVSQk

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:13:13 PM by IzzyDutch » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2014, 08:02:36 PM »

http://www.siriusxm.com/octane

Slash Week

Starts Monday 9/15 at 2 pm ET

Hard rock legend and iconic guitarist Slash has a new album out on 9/16, and he?s coming to Octane to celebrate! Call in to a LIVE radio show featuring Slash and Myles Kennedy to ask them questions as they take your calls and debut songs from the new album, World On Fire, on Monday at 2 pm ET/11 am PT.

Then, later that evening at 8 pm ET/ 5 pm PT, hear an intimate and private concert from Slash featuring Myles Kennedy & the Conspirators LIVE from Santos Party House in NYC for Sirius XM subscribers only!

You can hear replays of both shows and song intros every hour all week as Octane presents SLASH WEEK!

Radio show airtimes:*
1.    Monday 9/15 at 2pm (Live)
2.    Tuesday 9/16 at 6pm
3.    Wednesday 9/17 at 8am
4.    Thursday 9/18 at 9pm
5.    Friday 9/19 at 12pm

Concert Airtimes:*
1.    Monday 9/15 at 8pm (Live)
2.    Tuesday 9/16 at 12am (West Coast Replay)
3.    Wednesday 9/17 at 9am
4.    Thursday 9/18 at 3pm
5.    Friday 9/19 at 9pm
6.    Saturday 9/20 at 6pm

*All times are ET

Slash will also be on Stern tomorrow and they tweeted a pic of his gear today so it looks like he'll be performing in the studio along with the interview.  Looks like I'll be going into work a little late tomorrow.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »

Was kind of over the Myles and Co experiment after Apocalyptic Love. Wasn?t expecting much from WOF, but Slash fucking rips on it.
Band sounds great. Myles lyrics still aren?t setting the world on fire(see what I did there?), but don?t bother me as much. I think I may even enjoy some of his melodies, input whereas before I was just happy if he managed to stay out of the way.
Definitely seems to be an improvement upon AL, instead of a rehash. A bit heavier, meaner.

Stand outs so far for me would be Wicked Stone, Too Far Gone, Beneath the Savage Sun, Withered Delilah & Unholy. I can dig most of it, though.
Find myself skipping Dirty Girl. Think it?s Myles cheese lyrics, music?s cool enough.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2014, 08:06:09 PM »

Everybody who knows me knows that I am massive Slash fan, but unfortunately, World on Fire didn't do it for me.

I found the album distressingly generic.  It seems rushed, and Slash obviously didn't push himself to what he's capable of this time around.  Myles is particularly monotonous here vocally.

The only songs I like are the last three on the album: "The Dissident", "Safari Inn", and "The Unholy."  "Safari Inn" is a great instrumental that really shows Slash off as he could be if he pushed himself, but the rest of the album just doesn't have that.

Still love to see him live though.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »

some cringe worthy moments with Myles voice & lyrics I don't get it. He is amazing in Alter Bridge. Nothing cheesy about them but with Slash he feels the need to come accross as a dirty rocker/screamer. It is not who he is. He is pretty smart and sophisticated, taught guitar etc. I don't get it

I'm enjoying the new music but I think it's time Slash gets back with VR camp and seriously start searching for a singer or get Weiland back. He's up for it. Or make another record with great guest vocalists again I don't think the Conspirators have a bit song in them outside of Anastasia. I know VR has it in them

Favorite songs are:
Too far gone
The dissident
Wicked stone
Battleground
30yrs to life
Beneath the savage sun-possibly

The other 11 songs are pretty forgettable
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:29:50 PM by Top-Hatted One » Logged
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2014, 08:59:33 PM »

Everybody who knows me knows that I am massive Slash fan, but unfortunately, World on Fire didn't do it for me.

I found the album distressingly generic.  It seems rushed, and Slash obviously didn't push himself to what he's capable of this time around.  Myles is particularly monotonous here vocally.

The only songs I like are the last three on the album: "The Dissident", "Safari Inn", and "The Unholy."  "Safari Inn" is a great instrumental that really shows Slash off as he could be if he pushed himself, but the rest of the album just doesn't have that.

Still love to see him live though.
I've read the word "generic" quite a bit in regards to this album.  It's not stylistically distinct to me.  At least, not apart from Slash's previous work.

Overall, it's a good album that is pretty even throughout its length given that it is 17 songs long.  However it could've benefited from being condensed a bit more.  I still prefer Apocalyptic Love to this album, although I would say that the former had higher high points, while the latter may be a bit more even.

Ali
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »

I think the generic tag will be there as long as Myles is fronting them. I?m really not sure it applies, because I can?t name another band out there that sounds like SM&C, but I find myself using the term as well at times.
I can?t put my finger on exactly what it is. There?s no denying Myles can sing, but I?m not a big fan of his voice. I find his vocals to be more interesting on WOF compared to AL, but lyrically it?s still boring. To say his voice sounds generic wouldn?t be fair because I think he?s an above average singer/talent so I?m pinning it on his bland lyrics. For example I feel like I?ve heard everything he had to say after one spin, whereas it took me years to digest everything Axl was saying on the old records. He?s not a great story teller, so for me, the albums don?t have a long shelf life. The albums certainly leave a lot to be desired, but it?s still amazing to hear some of the riffs/solos Slash can still turn out at this stage of his career.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2014, 08:10:31 PM »

I think the generic tag will be there as long as Myles is fronting them. I?m really not sure it applies, because I can?t name another band out there that sounds like SM&C, but I find myself using the term as well at times.
I can?t put my finger on exactly what it is. There?s no denying Myles can sing, but I?m not a big fan of his voice. I find his vocals to be more interesting on WOF compared to AL, but lyrically it?s still boring. To say his voice sounds generic wouldn?t be fair because I think he?s an above average singer/talent so I?m pinning it on his bland lyrics. For example I feel like I?ve heard everything he had to say after one spin, whereas it took me years to digest everything Axl was saying on the old records. He?s not a great story teller, so for me, the albums don?t have a long shelf life. The albums certainly leave a lot to be desired, but it?s still amazing to hear some of the riffs/solos Slash can still turn out at this stage of his career.
I agree that Myles singing talent cannot be denied.  His technical capabilities, as far as range especially, is not something I'd ever dispute.  I just find his vocal tone in his upper register to be very unappealing to my ears.  Lyrically, I would agree that he's not the most interesting writer I've encountered.

Ali
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2014, 10:29:35 PM »

I miss Rod Jackson. Brotha had soul. Lyrics were as good if not better than Myles
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2014, 10:51:12 PM »

I can only give a partial response because I did not make it through the whole album. To be honest I only have time to listen to and from work, so I can listen to maybe 5 songs each way. So I only got half way through and got bored or was just not in the mood. I will return to it later and try to finish it. 

It is rare for me to like an album the first time through so this "review" may not be completely fair. The new Tom Petty album for instance I did not like at all the first listen but each time after that I liked it more and more and now I think it is a great album, one of his best and certainly the best in a very long time.

That said, I did not think much of this new Slash album at all, and I am a huge fan of Slash and have seen him with VR or alone 6 times. The WOF songs lacked catchy riffs and killer melodies. They weren't bad, but none stood out and nothing was really memorable. On AL there were about 5-6 songs I loved and could not wait to hear in concert. I can't say the same for WOF. Slash's playing is great and Myles' voice does not bother me that much, but the songs just are not very interesting, lyrically or even musically.

IMHFO it is time for Slash to get serious about VR again, rejoin and start putting out killer tunes with his homies again.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »

It is a better record than AL, but nowhere near as creative as the first solo album.  There are a few good songs in there, but it is still a very boring record.  17 songs?  I would rather him take the top 10 or 12 songs at most and spend more time on those and throw some changes in them.  Instead in  the time he could have been doing that they were churning out 5 more generic rock n roll tracks.  I like some of the guitar playing, but it is a very boring record.  The true test for me is the fact that I have not listened to it in over a week.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: