Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:38:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  When is the next GNR window ?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When is the next GNR window ?  (Read 42737 times)
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2014, 11:23:28 AM »

Why do Dj and Dizzy tell us the album is coming out 'soon' every freaking year since 2011?
Year after year?

Explain that please.

Explain it.  rant
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2014, 11:23:51 AM »

When somebody tries to offer some kind of possible explanations based on the release of the last album, it's ignored. It's met with "no, no. Everybody else manages to release albums". Yet, you're the first one to point out how different GN'R is.

Explain that lack of logic.

If you know no band is like GN'R, why do you keep comparing them to every other band? Please. Explain it.

I think the difference of opinion comes down to how you interpret "there is no band like GNR".

In the one camp, people see that as this huge positive.  They are so unique and just unpigeonholeable, that should be celebrated.

To the other camp, no other band is like GNR because the way they run their operation is completely fucked up.  There is a reason no other band operates like this, because it doesn't really work.

I find that to be the disconnect, anyway.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2014, 11:28:41 AM »

I think the difference of opinion comes down to how you interpret "there is no band like GNR".

In the one camp, people see that as this huge positive.  They are so unique and just unpigeonholeable, that should be celebrated.

To the other camp, no other band is like GNR because the way they run their operation is completely fucked up.  There is a reason no other band operates like this, because it doesn't really work.

I find that to be the disconnect, anyway.

How about the third camp who realizes that every situation, every band, is unique? Who know that no band makes music like GN'R, who knows that Chinese Democracy wasn't the easiest experience for the band, who knows GN'R has always been this way and won't get frustrated about it because it's not in their hands to fix anyway.

Regarding "doesn't work". You love it when I point this out to you, but this isn't something that just happened now, or in the last ten years or whatever.  Remember the band that started a massive headlining tour months before their proper second album was out? That's wrong isn't it? That's not how you do it. No single was out, no video. But they went on tour playing songs nobody knew.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:31:36 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »

How about the third camp who realizes that every situation, every band, is unique? Who know that no band makes music like GN'R, who knows that Chinese Democracy wasn't the easiest experience for the band, who knows GN'R has always been this way and won't get frustrated about it because it's not in their hands to fix anyway.

I would probably put these people in that first camp.  This is really just a different way of saying how unique and special they are, no?

Although there may be several variations of the themes, at their base I see one camp who just accepts everything they are told with a nod and the other who will occasionally say "wait, does that make sense to anyone else?"

And the disconnect between the two is that the former finds even asking such questions inappropriate, and the latter finds NOT asking such questions to be derelict.

Regarding "doesn't work". You love it when I point this out to you, but this isn't something that just happened now, or in the last ten years or whatever.  Remember the band that started a massive headlining tour months before their proper second album was out? That's wrong isn't it? That's not how you do it. No single was out, no video. But they went on tour playing songs nobody knew.

And I wish like hell they got back to that, believe me.

Every previous leg of this neverending CD tour had new stuff.  2001-02 had new unheard songs.  2006-07 had new unheard songs.  2009-10 had new songs that had never been played live.

2011-14 has...nothing.  Well, nothing along those lines.  Its running in place.  Even one new unheard song would have been a continuation of progress.  And would have been the overwhelming topic of discussion.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2014, 11:51:43 AM »

I would probably put these people in that first camp.  This is really just a different way of saying how unique and special they are, no?

Not necessarily. Because in order to be unique, you know it can be good and bad.
But that's ok. The good outweighs the so called bad that certain fans can't accept.

Although there may be several variations of the themes, at their base I see one camp who just accepts everything they are told with a nod and the other who will occasionally say "wait, does that make sense to anyone else?"

And the disconnect between the two is that the former finds even asking such questions inappropriate, and the latter finds NOT asking such questions to be derelict.

Let me ask you this. So let's say Axl gives a reason why Chinese wasn't out sooner. Why isn't this good enough for you? What kind of understanding of the process do you have that makes you think he's either lying or the answer doesn't make sense to you? Is it because of all those other bands who aren't GN'R and how they manage?

And if that's the case, you must be aware that artists don't always agree with their record companies....

2011-4 has...nothing.  Well, nothing along those lines.  Its running in place.  Even one new unheard song would have been a continuation of progress.  And would have been the overwhelming topic of discussion.

No new songs, but songs that had either never been performed by the band or not been played live in a while. Oh and Duff who came back to play some shows... Remember him?

Yes yes, you'd have something new to discuss. Great.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2014, 12:11:14 PM »

Let me ask you this. So let's say Axl gives a reason why Chinese wasn't out sooner. Why isn't this good enough for you? What kind of understanding of the process do you have that makes you think he's either lying or the answer doesn't make sense to you? Is it because of all those other bands who aren't GN'R and how they manage?

And if that's the case, you must be aware that artists don't always agree with their record companies....

I've heard it and I understand it.  I just roll my eyes at some of it, that's all.

2011-4 has...nothing.  Well, nothing along those lines.  Its running in place.  Even one new unheard song would have been a continuation of progress.  And would have been the overwhelming topic of discussion.

No new songs, but songs that had either never been performed by the band or not been played live in a while. Oh and Duff who came back to play some shows... Remember him?

Yeah, blonde guy, right?

Would you put that on par with the others though?  The examples I gave showed progress and moving forward.  Having Duff back for some shows, and dusting off a few UYI tracks, while good, aren't a strong argument for progress.  In fact, if its supports anything, its nostalgia.

Yes yes, you'd have something new to discuss. Great.

And wouldn't that just be awful?  The alternative would be what we went through this year was MUCH better, I thought.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »

I've heard it and I understand it.  I just roll my eyes at some of it, that's all.

Because?

Would you put that on par with the others though?  The examples I gave showed progress and moving forward.  Having Duff back for some shows, and dusting off a few UYI tracks, while good, aren't a strong argument for progress.  In fact, if its supports anything, its nostalgia.

Well it might not be proof of the new album being done. Or maybe it is! Duff can play shows with GN'R because Tommy's parts are done??? Wink

But it showed that Axl and Duff have no issues. Some would say that's a good thing, others might not.

And wouldn't that just be awful?  The alternative would be what we went through this year was MUCH better, I thought.

We already did the whole "Now we got live versions to dissect" routine. 2001, 2002, 2006....

So this is something new and exciting isn't it? Cheesy  hihi

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2014, 12:42:27 PM »

Because?

Because spin is spin.

I've heard Axl's account.  I've heard several other accounts from people that worked on the album.  Either musicians or people at the board.  And they paint a rather consistent picture of incredible wastes of time, absurd lengths of downtime, all sorts of wasted money, and a pretty disjointed process.

So while I might be able to accept on some level that the process wasn't a fun one for Axl personally, I can't just pretend I didn't read that other stuff just because it makes him look bad.  That's never been my deal, nor ever will be.

But it showed that Axl and Duff have no issues. Some would say that's a good thing, others might not.

In a vacuum, it surely is.  In terms of whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, its clearly a good thing.

But its not the answer to what being done that is new or moving the whole thing forward.

We already did the whole "Now we got live versions to dissect" routine. 2001, 2002, 2006....

So this is something new and exciting isn't it? Cheesy  hihi

Well, it when that alternative is that the biggest news from a entire touring leg is playing YCBM as the opener that one time, yeah, give me the new song discussion.

But its interesting you bring that up, because I've wondered how you handle that around here.  I wasn't here when those things happened in the past, but its cool to know you don't stifle such conversation.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2014, 12:58:22 PM »

on the setlist issue...from Rolling Stone today...... Grin

AC/DC were ostensibly on the road in support of their new album Black Ice, but most shows featured just four tracks from the disc. The rest of the set was devoted to classics like "Back in Black," "Thunderstruck," "T.N.T." and "The Jack." The setlist varied very little throughout the two-year run, making it easier to trigger cannons, an inflatable "Rosie" and other bells and whistles throughout the night.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/live-reviews/flashback-ac-dcs-last-show-with-malcolm-young-20141118#ixzz3JRaUQn81
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2014, 12:59:38 PM »

LOL...you sound Canadian....apologizing for nothing eh.

Just to be clear....when I say "window" I wasn't talking about a new album or recording new material....I am just looking at possible options for tour dates. 

Sorry, my mistake.

/jarmo

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2014, 01:03:27 PM »

on the setlist issue...from Rolling Stone today...... Grin

AC/DC were ostensibly on the road in support of their new album Black Ice, but most shows featured just four tracks from the disc. The rest of the set was devoted to classics like "Back in Black," "Thunderstruck," "T.N.T." and "The Jack." The setlist varied very little throughout the two-year run, making it easier to trigger cannons, an inflatable "Rosie" and other bells and whistles throughout the night.

Not uncommon.  If you have a complex stage show, you can't vary it all that much.

When people talk about the setlist with GNR though, I don't think its so much the night to night stuff as it is tour to tour.

WTTJ-ISE-MRB have been played in succession at every show for 13 years.  The middle of the show is SCOM-YCBM-NR, in that order.  'Nightrain' is the show closer before the encore.

I highly doubt anyone wants any of those songs dropped.  But they could be mixed up a bit.  It gives the impression this is just one long 13 year old tour.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »

Because spin is spin.

I've heard Axl's account.  I've heard several other accounts from people that worked on the album.  Either musicians or people at the board.  And they paint a rather consistent picture of incredible wastes of time, absurd lengths of downtime, all sorts of wasted money, and a pretty disjointed process.

Are you talking about the anonymous sources?
I'm curious what makes them so credible that you automatically choose to put so much weight in what they say?

So while I might be able to accept on some level that the process wasn't a fun one for Axl personally, I can't just pretend I didn't read that other stuff just because it makes him look bad.  That's never been my deal, nor ever will be.

You can't "un-read" what you read. But the question is, why do you put so much weight on it?

This seems to be the case with many GN'R fans. That's my point. The whole "Oh, I wanna hear Axl's side", "I wish Axl explained this".... Then it's like "Oh, I heard his side but I believe the other people"....

But its not the answer to what being done that is new or moving the whole thing forward.

Depends how you see it.
If for that to happen, a person has to be optimistic, having a good time, then that might mean things have moved forward or are more likely to move forward.... I see it all being connected to each other rather than insulated little events.

But its interesting you bring that up, because I've wondered how you handle that around here.  I wasn't here when those things happened in the past, but its cool to know you don't stifle such conversation.

A live performance in a public space is different than an illegal leak.

/jarmo

Ja5oN
Rocker

« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »

Circles....never ending Circles.

I see the following being discussed all at once:
- when is the next opportunity to see GNR
- can the current lineup be considered GNR
- when can they finish the next album
- should they tour without releasing a new album (they could tour and play a couple new songs without releasing an album - my two cents)
- what should the setlist be
- what is considered a tour
- is GNR a band
- etc.
- etc.

Bottom line .... if you could ask me what I want to do tonight .... my answer would be "go see GNR play".

Who's up there playing is another side/related discussion, but man I would LOVE to go back to Vegas 2014.

So I hope we get some news about shows in the "near" future.....

Toronto 10/29&30/17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2014, 01:22:03 PM »

Because spin is spin.

Are you talking about the anonymous sources?
I'm curious what makes them so credible that you automatically choose to put so much weight in what they say?

No.  People who were quoted directly.

I can accept when Axl says some of dealing with the label sucks.  I'm sure it did.  I can also accept when others say they sat around for days at time, racking up charges and wasting their own time in the hopes he might grace the studio with his presence.  Both of those things can lead to an overall slowdown, but Axl is only going to talk about one of them.  

That's what I mean by spin.

You can't "un-read" what you read. But the question is, why do you put so much weight on it?

This seems to be the case with many GN'R fans. That's my point. The whole "Oh, I wanna hear Axl's side", "I wish Axl explained this".... Then it's like "Oh, I heard his side but I believe the other people"....

I don't see me putting any addition weight in what they say versus what Axl does.  I'm just not going to throw out any other perspective that is inconvenient to the band message.  

Axl is my favorite singer, yet he is not infallible.  He is also not Santa Claus.  He doesn't see me when I'm sleeping and know when I'm awake.  I can speak freely.  It seems that not everyone here can.  Some for plainly obvious reasons, others, for reasons not as clear to me.

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2014, 01:27:18 PM »

It would be nice to know if they were doing Vegas in June or in November.

MSG was unavailable because it was under renovation the last time GNR played here so I'm really hoping that my show is the first one we hear announced.  *fingerscrossed*

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »

MSG for a residency ? they could sell one show.... not any more than that...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »

I can accept when Axl says some of dealing with the label sucks.  I'm sure it did.  I can also accept when others say they sat around for days at time, racking up charges and wasting their own time in the hopes he might grace the studio with his presence.  Both of those things can lead to an overall slowdown, but Axl is only going to talk about one of them.  

You think it's frustrating for some, but it must've been the most frustrating for him....

I can speak freely.  It seems that not everyone here can.  Some for plainly obvious reasons, others, for reasons not as clear to me.

Most people can speak freely. Don't you worry.
Some of us don't hide behind anonymous usernames. We stand behind our words.

The beauty of the Internet. Anybody can have a voice and make their opinion heard. Even if you wouldn't listen to them in real life.

/jarmo

Ja5oN
Rocker

« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2014, 01:34:11 PM »

MSG New Year's Eve Gig would have been EPIC!
 beer

Toronto 10/29&30/17
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »

I wasn't talking residency but IMO they could easily do it.
GNR always sells out their MSG shows within the first 10 minutes after tickets go on sale!!!  headbanger

Note:  I think 80% sales is when they call it as a "sold out" show.  There are usually tickets still available to get after the first 10 minutes.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2014, 01:58:55 PM »

Yeah, it would have to be a smaller spot.  They aren't Billy Joel.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: