Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 07:44:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228026 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Fortus Interview: "I?m hoping to finish up the next Guns n Roses album soon"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Fortus Interview: "I?m hoping to finish up the next Guns n Roses album soon"  (Read 19122 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2014, 09:18:45 AM »

Why do you insist on twisting Axl's words around?

To offer him cover.  The same reason a lot of people do it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2014, 10:35:49 AM »

Yes.  Done means done.  That seems pretty clear.  Interpreting done as there?s still work to do doesn't make sense.  Axl (not Dizzy or DJ, but Axl himself, the only authoritative voice) has confirmed that the next album is done.  Stop trying to give him an out.

You could always fall back on the label holding things up, which may or may not be true.  Who knows?  Given the success of the AFD release (yes, I bought a copy) you?d think that the label understands there?s still a market for GnR music.  That sounds reasonable...or the industry could still be out ta get him.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2014, 10:49:54 AM »

If Axl says tracks are done, then it's great.

You could always fall back on the label holding things up, which may or may not be true.  Who knows?  Given the success of the AFD release (yes, I bought a copy) you?d think that the label understands there?s still a market for GnR music.  That sounds reasonable...or the industry could still be out ta get him.

As I stated earlier. We don't know. But we can assume Axl doesn't want to have a similar experience that he had with Chinese again.
There might be some arm wrestling going on before you get to an agreement. We don't know.

Yes, there is a market for new GN'R music. Of course. We all know that. But this is where the mighty dollar comes into the picture. If a fan doesn't buy what's being released, (s)he's not helping. A lot of fans didn't buy the DVD/Blu-ray. Why is that? Because they can see it anyway?

Years ago you had to get the VHS if you wanted to watch a concert film. Now with the Internet, you can always say "I saw most of it for free and decided not to buy it since I'm not gonna watch it often anyway".
Same with records.

Sometimes it's a bit weird to relate. I can understand not having money and so on. Some of us were around when kids used to tape other kids' records so they could get a copy. It's somewhat ironic to read comments saying people wish GN'R would put out something, and then some of those same people still don't seem too keen to spend the money on it when they do....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »

Sometimes it's a bit weird to relate. I can understand not having money and so on. Some of us were around when kids used to tape other kids' records so they could get a copy. It's somewhat ironic to read comments saying people wish GN'R would put out something, and then some of those same people still don't seem too keen to spend the money on it when they do....

False equivalence.

People want a new album.  That's not to say some don't also want a concert from 2 years ago, but they are not the same thing.

Similar to when people say they want a new album and you try to equate that to random touring dates on the far side of the world.  Not the same thing.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2014, 11:15:52 AM »

Yes.  Done means done.  That seems pretty clear.  Interpreting done as there?s still work to do doesn't make sense.  Axl (not Dizzy or DJ, but Axl himself, the only authoritative voice) has confirmed that the next album is done.  Stop trying to give him an out.

Which is how it looks.  Some feel the need to ride in on the white horse and act like they are Axl's guardian. 

I've long said its almost like there are people that think Axl monitors these boards and makes naughty and nice lists.  Or that there is some reward waiting for those that always back him regardless and make a laundry lists of excuses for him about everything.

Its odd to me.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »

False equivalence.

People want a new album.  That's not to say some don't also want a concert from 2 years ago, but they are not the same thing.

Similar to when people say they want a new album and you try to equate that to random touring dates on the far side of the world.  Not the same thing.

There's nothing false about it.

Did you buy the Tokyo concert tapes? Did you buy this release?

I wasn't exactly talking about you, but it seems like you feel targeted. Whatever.
But you being here denying the fact that people have been asking for something new is kinda amusing. Wish there was this, wish there was that and so on.

Are you denying the fact that albums don't sell as much as they used to because some of the people who "need" new music aren't exactly keen on spending money on it?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:41:14 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2014, 11:45:12 AM »

I did.  Hardly ever watched them.

Do listen to my audio bootleg of that show fairly often though, even these days.  I think that's a real solid show.

I wasn't exactly talking about you, but it seems like you feel targeted. Whatever.
But you being here denying the fact that people have been asking for something new is kinda amusing. Wish there was this, wish there was that and so on.

Are you denying the fact that albums don't sell as much as they used to because some of the people who "need" new music aren't exactly keen on spending money on it?

I'm saying that's more misdirection from you that doesn't have anything to do with what is being discussed.

Its just another conversational re-direct to avoid having to talk about how ridiculous it is this band can't seem to get their shit together.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2014, 01:10:55 PM »

So it was fine to buy the Tokyo tapes even though you hardly ever watch them but not the latest release by the same band because you'd hardly ever watch it. Ok.... Smiley

We are discussing the market for GN'R releases. You are obviously not. You are having your own discussion about an album.
The poster I responded to brought up the sales of the Appetite For Democracy release as evidence of there being a market. Not me.

In other words, the recent Blu-ray/DVD does prove that there is a market, which we all know already, but it's obviously not an exact measurement of how big the market it.... As I pointed out, a bunch of fans chose not to buy certain releases from their favorite band. Even if they bought past concert video releases... You're one of those fans. No shame in that.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »

I'd have bought it if there was an audio version.  I just don't know when I'd sit and watch a concert video.  Its not like watching movie.

I still imagine I will get it for Christmas. 

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »

He never specifically mentioned working on song selection.  So, you're putting words in his mouth.

No, what I'm doing is taking his own words that the songs are already recorded and have been.

If they weren't, I could see how this might still take some time.  But if the work is already done, we are talking picking which bunch, no? 
I agree that seems like one of the next logical steps.  But, there could be other issues that are more pressing, like communications with the label, that could take precedence over song selection.  And what does "already recorded" mean?  Basic tracks?  Have all lead instrumentation tracks been recorded?  All lead and backing vocals?

So, given that he didn't specifically say that, I'm leery of putting words in his mouth.

Ali
Ahem...

"That's been done for a while, too."

-Axl Rose, Revolver interview, May 2014

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  He never mentioned anything about song selection.  Recording being complete could mean basic tracks, it could mean all recording is done.  It certainly has nothing to do with song selection.  That's a separate process.

Ali

Done means done.
Why would it mean anything else Ali?
Why are you suggesting that done means not done?
He said recorded. Dizzy also said, "I think a lot of it is either finished or close to being finished." So, I think it's fair to say there is some difference in perspective on the matter.

Ali

He said "done" -- it's right up there in bold text.  Roll Eyes

There are 2 albums done -- the second half of Chinese and the remix album.

With all due respect, I think you're the one twisting his words around.  When I asked, "Who confirmed song selection will take place this year?", you said Axl did.  He did no such thing. 

I don't take for granted that there is a possibility he may change his mind and want to do additional recording, be it lead vocals or instrumentation or something else.  I asked BBF eight years ago if he was going to be on Chinese Democracy and he said no because it was already recorded.  Clearly that didn't end up being the case.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2014, 01:23:58 PM »

To offer him cover.  The same reason a lot of people do it.
Wrong again.

I'll copy and paste what I just posted as it is applicable here.

I don't take for granted that there is a possibility he may change his mind and want to do additional recording, be it lead vocals or instrumentation or something else.  I asked BBF eight years ago if he was going to be on Chinese Democracy and he said no because it was already recorded.  Clearly that didn't end up being the case.

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »

Ali, none of that explains why you feel the need to put out a pump the breaks vibe over Axl's interview.

With so many people in the operation talking positively, including the big chief himself, it just seems an odd time to rain on the parade.

And let's face it, I ain't exactly Johnny Optimism as a rule.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2014, 01:39:32 PM »

Ali, none of that explains why you feel the need to put out a pump the breaks vibe over Axl's interview.

With so many people in the operation talking positively, including the big chief himself, it just seems an odd time to rain on the parade.

And let's face it, I ain't exactly Johnny Optimism as a rule.
It's not pumping the breaks on a positive vibe.  It's being more cautiously optimistic.  Plans can change, as evidenced by my BBF story.  That's why that story is relevant.  I was one told one thing face-to-face, with no hesitation, by a band member.  That later changed.  So, I think cautious optimism is the best approach.

Regardless, this all started because someone said Axl mentioned something about song selection taking place this year when he never actually mentioned that.  Even though I agree, that is one of the logical steps to take in getting an album out.

Ali
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »

Actually Ali -- you were the one who brought up "song selection" here: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=65939.msg1369487#msg1369487
It's a bizarre straw man -- even for you.
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2014, 02:55:36 PM »

False equivalence.

/jarmo

I agree that albums don't sell as well as they used to...but that condition affects the entire industry, not just Guns n Roses.  The fact that albums don't sell as well as they used to doesn't preclude other bands from releasing albums.  But yet it's used by some here as a reason why GnR isn't releasing an album.

Times change...remember when music videos were a big deal?  (yes, I am showing my age).  Back in the day, the only way you heard songs were over the radio, MTV, or you bought the CD.  Now, there are many, many ways to listen to entire albums for a fraction of the cost, or sometimes for free.

That's just the way it is now, and I'm not aware of any other bands blaming the current state of affairs as the reason why they are not releasing new material.  The only place I see that being used as an excuse is here.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2014, 03:05:12 PM »

Who's saying GN'R doesn't release albums because album sales in general are down?

Huh

/jarmo

Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2014, 04:07:44 PM »

Who's saying GN'R doesn't release albums because album sales in general are down?

Huh

/jarmo

Then why bring up the notion of declining record sales at all?  I know it?s been bantered about here in the past as a reason why releasing a new album is not important?that it?s not a big deal if they don?t release an album because no one buys albums anymore.  It?s a convenient excuse as to why this current lineup, despite being the most stable lineup in the band?s history, has yet to release one song.

This gets back to the whole "are they a real band or a touring band" discussion, which has been beaten to death.  IMO, bands release music, and until this band does, they are always going to be viewed (by many) as just living off of the past.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »

You brought up the market for a GN'R release. Isn't the definition of that thing fans who buy releases from GN'R? So if I pointed out that the sales have gone down, it's stating a fact.

Nowhere did I claim this is a reason for not releasing anything. That's just silly.

How do you know if there's a market for something? By asking people?

As you pointed out, in the past you could measure a band's popularity by checking how many requests their video got on MTV or a single on radio. You could also see how many copies they sold in specific markets. Nowadays that's not necessarily the case anymore.

One way people can show everybody involved that there is indeed a market for a band they like, is by buying their music instead of listening for free....  ok

/jarmo

Ali
Legend

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2014, 06:32:55 PM »

Actually Ali -- you were the one who brought up "song selection" here: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=65939.msg1369487#msg1369487
It's a bizarre straw man -- even for you.
You're incorrect as well.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=65939.msg1369477#msg1369477

"Taken at their word, they are going to start looking at picking songs this year".

I then you asked, "Who confirmed song selection  will take place this year?"

You then replied "Axl Rose, Dizzy Reed, Tommy Stinson and Richard Fortus."

By the way, song selection is another way of saying "picking songs".

Ali
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2014, 07:17:31 PM »

You brought up the market for a GN'R release. Isn't the definition of that thing fans who buy releases from GN'R? So if I pointed out that the sales have gone down, it's stating a fact.

Nowhere did I claim this is a reason for not releasing anything. That's just silly.

How do you know if there's a market for something? By asking people?

As you pointed out, in the past you could measure a band's popularity by checking how many requests their video got on MTV or a single on radio. You could also see how many copies they sold in specific markets. Nowadays that's not necessarily the case anymore.

One way people can show everybody involved that there is indeed a market for a band they like, is by buying their music instead of listening for free....  ok

/jarmo

I know you didn't say it...but it has been said here before that it's not a big deal that this lineup hasn't released anything because no one buys albums anymore.  I don't subscribe to that theory.

Regardless, Fortus talking about a new album is one thing...Axl speaking on the subject brings the matter to a whole other level.  When will it come out?  Who knows, but I do think, IMO, that it has shifted from if to when.  I'm not putting a deadline on them.  We know it exists, and one day hopefully we'll have a new album. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: