Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:46:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227811 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Goodbye Ron (???)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 125 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodbye Ron (???)  (Read 395082 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »

My opinion:

Ron ended his contract with GNR but will do all his duties till the end of the year, and GNR already started the search for a new guy.

There is nothing to support the notion that they are on the look out for a new guitar player. 

I find that highly unlikely given that Richard and Dizzy are on tour, as well as DJ's activities with Sixx:AM and Tommy being busy with the Replacements.

Ali
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2014, 06:03:01 PM »

News is GNR in 3D Cinemas, point

ok
I have never stopped loving you HBK.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »

There is nothing to support the notion that they are on the look out for a new guitar player. 

I find that highly unlikely given that Richard and Dizzy are on tour, as well as DJ's activities with Sixx:AM and Tommy being busy with the Replacements.

Gut reaction : Is Ron on the stage the next time they tour?

I know its a guess.  What's the guess?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »

This topic has kind of died down in my opinion. I don't think Ron is going somewhere, but if he moves on, we might get an announcement about how GNR has a new player rather than focusing how Ron left, kind of like the announcement we got about DJ

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2014, 07:29:25 AM »

For people who believe Axl reviews every tweet posted on the band's official Twitter, it's probably hard to believe what Axl says. Or even believes that all my posts are approved by somebody before I post...

For the rest of us, that's not necessarily the case.

I thought the comment about Doug Goldstien setting up that Euro 2001 tour on his own was something out of the chats.  Or some other time Axl said it directly.

As for you, even the most jaded among us don't think all your posts are moderated and approved.  Of course, we also know they wouldn't have to be because you pretty much handle that yourself.  Chances of you wandering off the reservation are zero.

Loyalty is an admirable quality, what's your point?

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Ali
Legend

« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »

My feeling is that given Ron's desire to prioritize his solo record, if GN'R is inactive until early to middle next year, it shouldn't be an issue.  But, if GN'R wants to play some shows this year, there will be a big issue.

Ali
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2014, 02:33:39 PM »

My feeling is that given Ron's desire to prioritize his solo record, if GN'R is inactive until early to middle next year, it shouldn't be an issue.  But, if GN'R wants to play some shows this year, there will be a big issue.

Ali

I agree.  It seems like a showdown may be looming if the November GnR shows are officially confirmed.  But we're probably a month or so away from getting any official word, so until then we're left to speculate.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2014, 04:03:13 PM »

If Duff can fill in for Tommy, can't someone just fill in for Ron?

I realize he plays a lot of important parts of big time songs.  But despite the mountain of bullshit they feed us about how the show is "unpredictable!" and "always changing!" we know damn well that is not the case.  Its not like any fill-in would need to learn the entire catalog.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2014, 04:40:39 PM »

I realize he plays a lot of important parts of big time songs.  But despite the mountain of bullshit they feed us about how the show is "unpredictable!" and "always changing!" we know damn well that is not the case.  Its not like any fill-in would need to learn the entire catalog.

Good point.  I've always found the comments (I think mainly by DJ) that there's no set setlist and they play things on the fly to be quite laughable. 
Ali
Legend

« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2014, 04:57:05 PM »

I went to the last three shows of the residency this year, and I heard "Yesterdays", which has not been played live in more than 20 years.  I heard "Marseilles", which I believe hasn't been played since 1988.  I also heard "Prostitute" which hadn't been played since 2009, and "There Was A Time", which hasn't been played since 2012.

So, are the setlists widely varying from night to night?

No.

Is there some variation?

Based on my experience, yes.

So, I think the reality is a sizable number of songs would have to be learned, even if they aren't all played over the span of a week or month or even an entire tour leg.

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #190 on: August 20, 2014, 08:10:36 PM »

The setlist changes night to night are the very definition of minimal.  That, in itself, is no big deal.  Most big time bands operate that way.

But the larger point is DJ still trotting that line out about all this supposed variety and unpredictability all the time...as if setlist.fm is not a thing.  And he can't be disproven in about 4 seconds.  Why does he continue to say this?  It just looks foolish.

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #191 on: August 20, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »

So, I think the reality is a sizable number of songs would have to be learned, even if they aren't all played over the span of a week or month or even an entire tour leg.

IF Bumblefoot quit or is on a break or whatever, the obvious person who could fill in is Robin.  He is already familiar with ALL the material (even though I HATE the way he left, I have no problem if he were to come back or fill in).

But even if Robin isn't an option for whatever reason, whoever the replacement is really just needs to be a capable guitarist because of the "three guitarists" scenario.

If memory serves me correctly, Ron plays some parts that Richard used to play so for Richard to do them again is no biggie.  And some parts that Ron used to play, Dj is now playing.   Plus I don't think it took that long for either Ron or Dj to get up to speed enough to be 'capable' when they joined.

Down the road they can tweak who's playing what part with the new guy.

And if that new guy just happens to wind up being Derek Trucks, I'd be ecstatic!!!  Grin

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:44:20 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #192 on: August 20, 2014, 10:32:24 PM »

IF Bumblefoot quit or is on a break or whatever, the obvious person who could fill in is Robin.  He is already familiar with ALL the material (even though I HATE the way he left, I have no problem if he were to come back or fill in).

But even if Robin isn't an option for whatever reason, whoever the replacement is really just needs to be a capable guitarist because of the "three guitarists" scenario.

If memory serves me correctly, Ron plays some parts that Richard used to play so for Richard to do them again is no biggie.  And some parts that Ron used to play, Dj is now playing.   Plus I don't think it took that long for either Ron or Dj to get up to speed enough to be 'capable' when they joined.

Down the road they can tweak who's playing what part with the new guy.

And if that new guy just happens to wind up being Derek Trucks, I'd be ecstatic!!!  Grin

Derek Trucks is awesome ♥

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
overmatik
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2014, 06:34:49 AM »

Well, there's a guy who already knows most of these songs, and he learned all of them in a short notice too. And Axl is pretty much OK with him, right? Me dreaming...  Roll Eyes
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »

Ron's exit, and the disagreements leading up to it, reminds me more and more of Slash's exit from the band.
It seems like 20 years later, the same issues are still present -- delays, uncertainty, lawsuits, idleness, lack of communication, motivation, etc.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2014, 12:12:19 PM »

Ron's exit, and the disagreements leading up to it, reminds me more and more of Slash's exit from the band.
It seems like 20 years later, the same issues are still present -- delays, uncertainty, lawsuits, idleness, lack of communication, motivation, etc.

Yet no changes are ever made to how things operate.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2014, 07:16:24 PM »

Your comment is premature at best.  Let's see what happens the next time GN'R actually plays a show.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2014, 07:18:47 PM »

Ron is uniquely skilled, IMO.  So, replacing a bassist, which is not a lead instrument, vs. a lead guitarist of his skill level are two different stories, IMO.

Ali
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2014, 10:37:13 PM »

Wife Of Ron Is MrsBumblefoot, Not GNR

Cool

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2014, 12:38:27 PM »

Wife Of Ron Is MrsBumblefoot, Not GNR

Cool
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 125 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: