Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:48:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227826 Posts in 43249 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR albums and Warrant
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR albums and Warrant  (Read 51107 times)
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« on: August 13, 2014, 01:46:29 PM »

First, I kinda see Chinese Democracy as a bookend of GNR albums.
That's not to say if they put out something, I wouldn't push an old lady down to be the first in line to buy it, but I just don't know that it's realistic to expect a new album. There's all kinds of rumors about not getting together to write it, people leaving the band, other people saying the new album is almost done.
Maybe a new album just isn't in the cards?
They tour and put on great shows every couple of years. Maybe that's all they want, maybe it's just a part time deal for them.

A few months ago I interviewed a member of Warrant. It was very enlightening. He was like, "yeah, we were big rock stars back then." But now he makes wine as his day job. On the weekends, he tours under the Warrant banner, more as a hobby that he can make a few extra bucks at than as a "I'm a famous musician!" type of thing. But Warrant isn't who he is day to day. And they put on a great little show.

Maybe that's what it is for GNR. They all have their other projects and bands and things they do, and then every couple of years they do a little touring and maybe a residency under the GNR banner.

I don't know what Axl thinks, but maybe he just wants to live a quiet life and play with his band once in a while? Maybe this obsessive need we as fans have for new material is misplaced. Maybe there isn't any, and isn't going to be any. Maybe giving some fantastic concerts every couple years is all Axl wants out of it?

What do you guys think?

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »

That's not to say if they put out something, I wouldn't push an old lady down to be the first in line to buy it, but I just don't know that it's realistic to expect a new album. There's all kinds of rumors about not getting together to write it, people leaving the band, other people saying the new album is almost done.
They tour and put on great shows every couple of years. Maybe that's all they want, maybe it's just a part time deal for them.

A few months ago I interviewed a member of Warrant. It was very enlightening. He was like, "yeah, we were big rock stars back then." But now he makes wine as his day job. On the weekends, he tours under the Warrant banner, more as a hobby that he can make a few extra bucks at than as a "I'm a famous musician!" type of thing. But Warrant isn't who he is day to day. And they put on a great little show.

Maybe that's what it is for GNR. They all have their other projects and bands and things they do, and then every couple of years they do a little touring and maybe a residency under the GNR banner.

I don't know what Axl thinks, but maybe he just wants to live a quiet life and play with his band once in a while? Maybe this obsessive need we as fans have for new material is misplaced. Maybe there isn't any, and isn't going to be any. Maybe giving some fantastic concerts every couple years is all Axl wants out of it?

What do you guys think?

Impossible to say, but I do suspect that making and releasing Chinese Democracy was such an uphill battle that he's not really chomping at the bit to do it again.

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »

What do you guys think?

Impossible to say, but I do suspect that making and releasing Chinese Democracy was such an uphill battle that he's not really chomping at the bit to do it again.

But he just gave an interview where he talked about the follow up to CD?both remixes of CD songs and CDII songs.  He talked about songs already being done.

If they are just a touring act, then stop holding out the carrot of new songs.  Just admit that?s what you are.  Instead, we read interview after interview from DJ, Dizzy, Richard?all talking about how the next album?s almost done, can?t wait to get back in the studio, etc.  I never put much stock into these interviews, because they?ve been saying this for years.

But when Axl chimed in?to me that?s a game changer.  IMO, that added credibility that there is going to be another album.  However, their actions (same tour, no new songs) speak louder than their words. 
They straddle this line of touring act/band, and then people get mad when they get called out for being a touring act.  Bands write music (we know the current lineup hasn?t written one song) and release albums.  Touring acts don?t.  Pick one.  Instead, they act like one and say they?re the other.  That leads to a lot of confusion and misdirection?and lord knows we got enough of that already.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 03:59:05 PM »

But he just gave an interview where he talked about the follow up to CD?both remixes of CD songs and CDII songs.  He talked about songs already being done.

If they are just a touring act, then stop holding out the carrot of new songs.  Just admit that?s what you are.  Instead, we read interview after interview from DJ, Dizzy, Richard?all talking about how the next album?s almost done, can?t wait to get back in the studio, etc.  I never put much stock into these interviews, because they?ve been saying this for years.

But when Axl chimed in?to me that?s a game changer.  IMO, that added credibility that there is going to be another album.  However, their actions (same tour, no new songs) speak louder than their words. 
They straddle this line of touring act/band, and then people get mad when they get called out for being a touring act.  Bands write music (we know the current lineup hasn?t written one song) and release albums.  Touring acts don?t.  Pick one.  Instead, they act like one and say they?re the other.  That leads to a lot of confusion and misdirection?and lord knows we got enough of that already.

Tremendous.

When I read your stuff, its like reading my own thoughts without the inborn smartassery.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 08:46:31 PM »

Tremendous.

When I read your stuff, its like reading my own thoughts without the inborn smartassery.

Ha.  I often find myself saying the same thing when I read your stuff...although I gather from your posts you're from Philly so while we're both on the same page with GnR, I think our sports allegiances vary greatly (I'm from NY).  If a Philly guy and New York guy can get along, why can't GnR...

Anyway, keep up the good work. 
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »

Hey guys, this simply:

CD IS DEAD IN THE INDUSTRY, NEW FORMAT ALIVE IS DIGITAL

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »

Hey guys, this simply:

smoking

Ok then...why haven't they digitally recorded or released one song?  I don't think the format is the issue...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »

Yeah, what stops them releasing one song on iTunes?

The real reason, I'm asking.  Not the laundry list of preposterous excuses we are usually fed to make all this inactivity seem not only normal, but noble.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 05:47:33 PM »

What do you guys think?

That is a good point. When the man himself says "hey, we're almost done with some new stuff!" you kinda start anticipating new stuff.
Maybe he was misquoted?

Nah, the media has never done anything like that with this band ...  Wink

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 05:49:40 PM »

The real reason, I'm asking.  Not the laundry list of preposterous excuses we are usually fed to make all this inactivity seem not only normal, but noble.

Also a good point. Maybe the have to fulfill a contract still?

Another question is why are no new songs performed during their concerts if there is new material in the can?

Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »

Also a good point. Maybe the have to fulfill a contract still?

Another question is why are no new songs performed during their concerts if there is new material in the can?

Yes, another great question.  There are plenty of opportunities to advance the ball and play new songs...instead they dust off another UYI song and a new DJ solo.  I know I'm complaining about shows I didn't go to...but I feel like I was there, since I saw them in 2010, 2012, and 2013 in what was essentially the same concert each time.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 10:38:44 AM »

It makes zero sense.

If they played even one new song, it would be the overwhelming topic of discussion on every board.  It would get people excited again.

Look at the reaction they got for simply moving YCBM to the opener for one show.  Or dusting off 'Yesterdays' for the first time in 21 years.  People were way into it.

So why not play us a new song?  The 3 new songs they played at RIR III were just about all I listened to for like, a year.

LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 07:18:44 PM »

Hard comparison...Sounds like Warrant, and I wonder how many other bands, are doing shows for Shits N' Giggles..As for GNR they are doing lengthy high end tours...
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 09:07:51 PM »

I don't know if the guy from Warrant should be making it sound like he's moonlighting as a musician. The gigs on the weekend probably go into the winery.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »

Hey guys, this simply:

smoking

Ok then...why haven't they digitally recorded or released one song?  I don't think the format is the issue...

Las Vegas 2012 Is Digitally

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 09:32:39 AM »

Hey guys, this simply:

smoking

ok

Indeed it is! And,just because no new music has been released as soon as some people deem necessary doesn't mean none is coming.

All signs point to another release in due time Smiley

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 09:45:22 PM »

Hey guys, this simply:

smoking

ok

Indeed it is! And,just because no new music has been released as soon as some people deem necessary doesn't mean none is coming.

Oh yeah, right...and what song did the current lineup record and create in that 2012 digital release???

Sorry for thinking that a band (to be a band) needs to release new music.  It's not really that crazy of a concept.  The only place in the entire world where this notion is dismissed is here.

Also, I'm not sure that "all signs point to another release"...although I do appreciate the glass half full thinking.  Bumble's recent comments certainly cast some doubt as to how much progress has been made on the next album.  That no new songs were played on the most recent tour also indicate nothing has changed.  But Axl's Revolver interview is promising. 
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 07:19:21 AM »

Hey guys, this simply:

smoking

ok

Oh yeah, right...and what song did the current lineup record and create in that 2012 digital release???

Sorry for thinking that a band (to be a band) needs to release new music.  It's not really that crazy of a concept.  The only place in the entire world where this notion is dismissed is here.

Also, I'm not sure that "all signs point to another release"...although I do appreciate the glass half full thinking.  Bumble's recent comments certainly cast some doubt as to how much progress has been made on the next album.  That no new songs were played on the most recent tour also indicate nothing has changed.  But Axl's Revolver interview is promising. 
So why are you on a GNR fan forum?

I don't think Ron's highly publicized passive aggressive whinings in the press are truly reflective of GNR's current status on the new album.
Why is it so important that the current lineup be on a release?

2014 has been a very good year for GNR for the real fans and supporters! Looking forward to next step.

"Shut the fuck up."
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 08:48:09 AM »

Hey guys, this simply:

smoking

ok

I don't think Ron's highly publicized passive aggressive whinings in the press are truly reflective of GNR's current status on the new album.

2014 has been a very good year for GNR for the real fans and supporters! Looking forward to next step.

Ok so that?s an interesting response.  Why am I on the forum?  I guess you?re asking that because I?m not 100% on board, 100% of the time, with every decision or non-decision made by the band/Axl.  In short, to be on a fan forum you need to have blind faith and never step out of line.

By that logic, why are you on the fan forum?  You?re complaining about Ron and his passive aggressive whining.  Is it ok to criticize some band members but not others?  Or are you assuming Ron's out of the band so it's fair game to pounce on him?  I?m a little confused there.

I?m guessing we?re both on here because GnR is our favorite band.  I do think there are some encouraging signs for new music soon (the biggest sign being Axl?s interview which I have said numerous time on here is a game changer).  But that doesn?t mean I can?t independently think on my own and reach my own conclusions based on what I see.  Sorry, but I?m not going to buy that everything?s on the up and up, going according to plan, and there are no problems.  That?s just not reality?and commenting on how I may think there may be problems (what?s up with Ron, have they recorded one song in 8 years, etc.) doesn?t automatically make me not a fan.

It?s similar to a sports team.  I?m a huge NY Giants fan.  Like GnR, they?ve been my favorite team my entire life.  But?I?m not too happy with the new Offensive Coordinator they brought in, and what the hell are they going to do about the Tight End?  However, come Week 1, I?m still going to be rocking my Bavaro jersey and cheer them on.  Get it?

If you?re looking for blind faith, join a mega-church. I?m here to discuss the band and have real conversations about the current state of affairs (good and bad)?and yes, I do want them to release new music.  Sorry if that doesn?t make me a fan.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 07:53:27 PM »

Hey guys, this simply:

smoking

ok

Ok so that?s an interesting response.  Why am I on the forum?  I guess you?re asking that because I?m not 100% on board, 100% of the time, with every decision or non-decision made by the band/Axl.  In short, to be on a fan forum you need to have blind faith and never step out of line.

By that logic, why are you on the fan forum?  You?re complaining about Ron and his passive aggressive whining.  Is it ok to criticize some band members but not others?  Or are you assuming Ron's out of the band so it's fair game to pounce on him?  I?m a little confused there.

I?m guessing we?re both on here because GnR is our favorite band.  I do think there are some encouraging signs for new music soon (the biggest sign being Axl?s interview which I have said numerous time on here is a game changer).  But that doesn?t mean I can?t independently think on my own and reach my own conclusions based on what I see.  Sorry, but I?m not going to buy that everything?s on the up and up, going according to plan, and there are no problems.  That?s just not reality?and commenting on how I may think there may be problems (what?s up with Ron, have they recorded one song in 8 years, etc.) doesn?t automatically make me not a fan.

It?s similar to a sports team.  I?m a huge NY Giants fan.  Like GnR, they?ve been my favorite team my entire life.  But?I?m not too happy with the new Offensive Coordinator they brought in, and what the hell are they going to do about the Tight End?  However, come Week 1, I?m still going to be rocking my Bavaro jersey and cheer them on.  Get it?

If you?re looking for blind faith, join a mega-church. I?m here to discuss the band and have real conversations about the current state of affairs (good and bad)?and yes, I do want them to release new music.  Sorry if that doesn?t make me a fan.

Tl;dr

I expected a long winded post attempting to somehow justify and validate whining about the band not operating to suit your every whim. Cheesy

You didn't disappoint! Wink

There's every reason to be positive and looking forward to what comes next with GNR!

"Shut the fuck up."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: