Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:51:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227828 Posts in 43249 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)  (Read 246146 times)
mortismurphy
« Reply #780 on: October 24, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »

He blames everybody, Seymour, Slash, Duff, the Industry, all part of one great international conspiracy to destroy Axl Rose and prevent the release of CD.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #781 on: October 24, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »

I would venture to guess that there is much much more to the story than just the booklet error that caused Axl's grevience with the label and refusal to properly promote.  Didn't he comment that he expected more promotion?  So he may have felt the label should have spent a lot more than they did, and since he wasn't getting what he wanted, he wasn't going to support their limited efforts.  Axl often has no problem cutting his nose to spite his face when he feels strongly about something.  Unfortunately, despite his strong willed personality, when these things happen they have a big affect on him.  He said as much if I recall in the TMS interview.  

Don't you think there are hundreds of other bands and artists who also feel their label should have promoted their latest album more?

I sure would, yes. 

But look how many arguments around here are based on the premise that its different for this particular guy and his particular band.  He's the walking, talking, exception to the rules of the universe.

I don't think anyone has argued that there's an exception in this case.  It's just as wrong that all those hundreds of bands and artists have gotten shit promotion from their label and that's a big reason why you're seeing so many choosing to go the independent route these days.  I wish that were an option for Guns, but they're still under contract, so it's not.  

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #782 on: October 24, 2014, 04:59:26 PM »

I don't think anyone has argued that there's an exception in this case.  It's just as wrong that all those hundreds of bands and artists have gotten shit promotion from their label and that's a big reason why you're seeing so many choosing to go the independent route these days.  I wish that were an option for Guns, but they're still under contract, so it's not.  

But wouldn't the quickest way to get out from under that contract be to give them what's owed and be done with them?

If you still owe them an album, and you never do anything about meeting that, you always will owe them an album.  Nothing will ever change.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #783 on: October 24, 2014, 05:58:39 PM »

But wouldn't the quickest way to get out from under that contract be to give them what's owed and be done with them?

If you still owe them an album, and you never do anything about meeting that, you always will owe them an album.  Nothing will ever change.
I guess that depends on how much acquiescing you can tolerate doing, and what standards for a release you are willing to accept.  It may not  be just one album either.  What do you if it's three albums?  Just fire them off in rapid succession to get out from the deal?

There may not be an easy answer.  The problem is we don't know the particulars.

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #784 on: October 24, 2014, 06:21:28 PM »

We don't have an actual number of what's still owed? 

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #785 on: October 24, 2014, 06:40:48 PM »

I don't think that's been made public.  Not that I'm expecting it to be.  I'm just saying that may change how you view and approach the situation.

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #786 on: October 24, 2014, 06:43:11 PM »

I don't think that's been made public.  Not that I'm expecting it to be.  I'm just saying that may change how you view and approach the situation.

Ali

Oh, no doubt.

My argument only makes any sense if its only 1.  If it's 1, you get one it and get out form under them.

But if its like 3, yeah, you can't rush through that.  Then, I guess they're fucked.

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #787 on: October 24, 2014, 08:05:51 PM »

I read the interview. I see what he is saying that he can be himself in Six Am. He has skin in Six Am. In GNR, he doesn't have that. I do think DJ could have phrased it much better, though.

I'd agree.  Inartful phrasing.

Overanalyzing and overdramatizing semantics in members' interviews with the explicit intent of finding something that isn't there isn't a healthy habit imo. Kiss

Emily, you must admit that the phrasing is a bit odd. It's not overanalyzing or dramatizing his words. He could have left it at that, but he didn't. I think it's frustrating for DJ to be doing someone else's music and not create your own. I can totally see that. Like I previously said, in Six Am he has skin in the game. In GNR, he doesn't. This goes back to what I've been saying for a long time. When you have ownership of something, you take more pride in it and feel more satisfied.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #788 on: October 24, 2014, 08:25:59 PM »

I feel like DX you may be making the assumption that album sales mean more to Axl than living up to his own code. I think that trying to live up to what he sees to be true and not living in conflict with himself is more important to him than album sales even when you take it to extremes. Some people may see it as bullish and others may admire his integrity but I think this part of him is a big part of what makes him Axl Rose and a big part of what makes him cool.

I think of it like this. 

I made my peace with the break-up long ago.  But I never shook the feeling, one I maintain to this day, that if we actually ever head what the real crux of the discord was, there is at least a chance we'd say "That?  THAT is what all this has been about??" 

I have no doubt that Axl's reasons are valid, as he sees them.  And how receptive management affirms those reasons to him.  But if we heard them, are you 100% sure you'd agree with him?

This is not to suggest that you, I, or anyone here knows everything about the music business, we are obviously 100% right, and he should do exactly as we say.  No one had ever said that.  Those are strawman arguments put forth by people that would rather not answer these questions, even just as a goof.

But what's your gut tell you?  Are you that convinced if you could be a fly on the wall for some of this, you'd concur that the show simply cannot go on until certain things are addressed?

Or would you maybe think that, maybe, just maybe...things could be worked out if you really wanted to get something done? 

I totally agree with you. It's all about frame of reference and how you PERCEIVE things, which may NOT be reality. A good example is with me. I could be doing the most simplest task like putting money into the machine to refill my Metrocard or separating slices of pizza. Due to my disability, people will ASSUME that I need help. That's how people perceive me. The reality is that I don't. It takes me more time to stop and say no than doing an everyday task.

So the perception might be that Slash did something terrible in the mind of Axl. In reality, it may not have been as bad as it was perceived to be.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #789 on: October 24, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »

If it's 1, you get one it and get out form under them.
So you'd want GNR to release "anything" even if they (specifically Axl) doesn't feel it's 'right' or 'ready' just to get out from under a contract?? 

You're always whining about how Axl doesn't do enough to promote the band/album.  Do you think if he puts out your "out from under" album that he'd want to be out front promoting something he doesn't feel should have been released in the first place??

What if it's a sales flop?  Who's to blame?  Axl for releasing something he didn't want to release??

How does it help the GNR reputation in the public's eye to improve if they're releasing something even they don't feel is up to their vision of "the GNR standard"??

Yeah, agreed.  Which is why I asked Gypsy Soul what the payoff was for him.  What's he getting out of the pride of following a guy dug in to the point of total career paralysis?
It's been six years since CD was released.  In those six years GNR has played over 230 shows literally all over the world.  They have millions of facebook and twitter followers.  How is that "total career paralysis"??

P.S.  I didn't say anything about the CD booklet one way or the other.

P.P.S.  I'm a 'her' not a 'him'

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #790 on: October 24, 2014, 08:34:29 PM »

I read the interview. I see what he is saying that he can be himself in Six Am. He has skin in Six Am. In GNR, he doesn't have that. I do think DJ could have phrased it much better, though.

I'd agree.  Inartful phrasing.

Overanalyzing and overdramatizing semantics in members' interviews with the explicit intent of finding something that isn't there isn't a healthy habit imo. Kiss

Emily, you must admit that the phrasing is a bit odd. It's not overanalyzing or dramatizing his words. He could have left it at that, but he didn't. I think it's frustrating for DJ to be doing someone else's music and not create your own. I can totally see that. Like I previously said, in Six Am he has skin in the game. In GNR, he doesn't. This goes back to what I've been saying for a long time. When you have ownership of something, you take more pride in it and feel more satisfied.

Bit a Freudian slip by him, perhaps.

But no one is saying its an international incident.  Its just a bad turn of phrase.

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #791 on: October 24, 2014, 08:44:47 PM »

I have no doubt that Axl's reasons are valid, as he sees them.  And how receptive management affirms those reasons to him.  But if we heard them, are you 100% sure you'd agree with him? 

So the perception might be that Slash did something terrible in the mind of Axl. In reality, it may not have been as bad as it was perceived to be.

What possible difference does it make what anyone else's perception of Axl's reasons are??

How do you just dismiss his reasons and feelings as invalid or trivial just because you don't agree with them??

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #792 on: October 24, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »

So you'd want GNR to release "anything" even if they (specifically Axl) doesn't feel it's 'right' or 'ready' just to get out from under a contract?? 

You're always whining about how Axl doesn't do enough to promote the band/album.  Do you think if he puts out your "out from under" album that he'd want to be out front promoting something he doesn't feel should have been released in the first place??

What if it's a sales flop?  Who's to blame?  Axl for releasing something he didn't want to release??

How does it help the GNR reputation in the public's eye to improve if they're releasing something even they don't feel is up to their vision of "the GNR standard"??

A few things :

- Axl is unlikely to promote it anyway, even under optimal conditions.  He can always find a reason not to, and who, exactly, is going to kick him in the ass to do it?  No one.  So I'm not sure how honest that whole argument is, that he'd be out there flogging this under any scenario.

- The bigger point is moving forward, which is always my point.  A lot of you guys see all this value sitting on your ass in stalemate.  I don't.  The situation never improves.  If, saints be praised, the spirit does move him one day, he's always going to be facing that same situation.  

- If the label is this toxic, don't you want to get away?  If you (allegedly) would be doing all this great stuff if not for that awful label, of course you'd want to get away.  And if the label were only owed one more, you get it done and get away from them.  But that's out the window if you owe more than one.

- Just about every one of my posts is done under the impression Axl continues to be a viable artist for a few more years.  All my posts are done through that prism.  So to me, getting him to a point where he can do that freely is the goal, always.  And, to be honest, I would never, ever, ever put that lower on the totem pole then proving some point with his current label.  I find it preposterous to say with a straight face I'd rather he just never did anything than "give in".  Fuck that.  If you can get out of that contract that is supposedly holding you back, get out of that contract.    

It's been six years since CD was released.  In those six years GNR has played over 230 shows literally all over the world.  They have millions of facebook and twitter followers.  How is that "total career paralysis"??

Because its nothing new.  Nothing new has been done.  

Those things you mention are all just fine, but its not really what we are talking about when I say that.  The 4th version of the same tour is not exactly breaking new ground.

And for this, I apologize.  I often assume everyone is a dude.  Sexist, I realize.  Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:51:16 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #793 on: October 24, 2014, 08:50:55 PM »

What possible difference does it make what anyone else's perception of Axl's reasons are??

How do you just dismiss his reasons and feelings as invalid or trivial just because you don't agree with them??

Is that what we are saying though?

What we think of his reasons will not matter one iota to him, and everyone here knows that.  He's not going to alter his thinking over what some fan says.  It will make sense to him, and that will not change.

But...let's be honest.  Suppose you are given the full lowdown why he's so pissed, without his usual meandering and sidetracks.  If he just told you, "listen, here's why..." and just laid it out straight.

The two reactions to that are "damn, I can't blame you" or "wow...so that's it, huh?"

We are just talking about what our personal reaction would be.  But under no delusions our opinion changes his thinking in any way.

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #794 on: October 24, 2014, 08:52:49 PM »

Please don't put words into my mouth. I never said that. What I am saying is that we all perceive things differently due to our own perceptions, beliefs, and experiences. Sometimes what we see isn't always the reality of the situation.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #795 on: October 24, 2014, 08:55:08 PM »

Gypsy soul is a genius. Also, thank you Jarmo for posting the links to those interviews. So it seems the record company didn't follow through on their promises. No wonder Axl decided not to cooperate with them. I don't understand why some people here are so intent on defending the record company and sticking the blame to Axl. That's one thing I'm very surprised to see on a fan forum, fan's taking the side of the record company over one of their favorite artists. I'm not saying you aren't fans (I know you are, you're here every day) but seriously, what the fuck? I guess it creates a lot of conversation though, so I won't bitch.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #796 on: October 24, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »

Gypsy soul is a genius. Also, thank you Jarmo for posting the links to those interviews. So it seems the record company didn't follow through on their promises. No wonder Axl decided not to cooperate with them. I don't understand why some people here are so intent on defending the record company and sticking the blame to Axl. That's one thing I'm very surprised to see on a fan forum, fan's taking the side of the record company over one of their favorite artists. I'm not saying you aren't fans (I know you are, you're here every day) but seriously, what the fuck? I guess it creates a lot of conversation though, so I won't bitch.

What is often mislabeled as all this support for the label or shitting on Axl, most times, its just a simple..."wait, does that make sense to anybody?"

I know this is a "fan forum" but that doesn't mean the only response can be a nod.  Frankly, some of these things are a little out there.  Like intentional sabotage of the booklet.  Like label fucking with him, just because.  Face it, most stuff like that gets more than a few completely uncritical nods. 

But a fan, and not a "fan" in "quotes", can still ask if that makes sense, can't they?

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #797 on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:06 PM »

Ever think that just maybe you don't know the entire story? I disagree with your conclusion (s). When the label reniged on agreements that were in place but  for one reason or another not implemented, why cooperate with them?

Because you are only hurting yourself.  

This project, and the GNR brand as a whole, suffered due to this little temper tantrum.  You really think people at the label were staying up nights over Axl's refusal to do anything?  It was shoulder shrug city.   He wants to just be mad, fine, the hell with him.  Shit, that's just more money they don't have to spend.  No skin off their nose.

Just because you don't have all the details does not make it a "tin foil hat" case, nice try at a passive agressive jab though, are you not capable of posting without troll tricks or similar attempts at trying to appear clever? Honest question. Kiss

I used the term because you checked every box on the list.  Was there one you missed?

1) It was an inside job.  Hallmark of any conspiracy theory.  To explain an unfortunate event (in this case, the leaks) it can never be random chance, such as someone in the mixing process got some sticky fingers.  No, its more fantastic.  There is a mole on the inside pulling the strings and orchestrating events.

2) Selective conclusions.  The villain in your piece (in this case, Azoff) is guilty of one thing, so he is there fore guilty of everything bad that happened.  Because he pushed a for a reunion, he is also responsible for the leaks getting out.  There is no connection there, except in your head.  But its a nice story.

3) Cannot be proven or disproven.  This is the holy grail of all conspiracy theories.  Its the mission statement.  You can't prove what you say, but I can't disprove it.  Convenient.  Of course, I can't prove a negative because no one can, but no matter.  These theories hinge on the general mindset of "hey, it could have happened, you never know".

You hit the conspiracy trifecta with this little theory of yours.

Still has not answered the questions of why the monumental promotions promised amounted to a cardboard tower in Best Buy or what became of the alternate covers.

That's all out the window when Axl storms off in a huff.  Anyone suggesting they throw huge money behind something that didn't sell to begin with, oh...and you have the added bonus of the artist himself wanting nothing to do with you, that person would be fired.

Yawn- your constant attempts on a GNR forum to belittle the band are tiresome to many of us.
you honestly think the booklet was the only issue?

You can make numbered little lists until the cows come home and some here, with a similar aganda may validate you, but the truth remains the truth.

Azoff has well earned the nickname of  "The Poison dwarf" in the industry, he once left a snake in a rival's mailbox, do a little research on him.  Kiss

Your oversimplification of facts, with the explicit intent of validating your narrative is rich, and very pathetic.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #798 on: October 24, 2014, 09:20:01 PM »

- Just about every one of my posts is done under the impression Axl continues to be a viable artist for a few more years.  All my posts are done through that prism.  So to me, getting him to a point where he can do that freely is the goal, always.  And, to be honest, I would never, ever, ever put that lower on the totem pole then proving some point with his current label.  I find it preposterous to say with a straight face I'd rather he just never did anything than "give in".  Fuck that.  If you can get out of that contract that is supposedly holding you back, get out of that contract.
I didn't say he shouldn't do anything.  I said he should stand his ground.
I did say and do believe that he should NOT just "give in" to get out from under a contract because IN MY OPINION the integrity of the band in the fans' eyes, in the public's eye and even maybe in the band's eye might be diminished if we're presented with an "inferior" product ... especially after six years and given the, IMO, high standard of material set with CD. 

Because its nothing new.  Nothing new has been done.  

Those things you mention are all just fine, but its not really what we are talking about when I say that.  The 4th version of the same tour is not exactly breaking new ground.

That "4th version of the same tour" went to countries/cities where either GNR had never played before or haven't played in years.

"Nothing new" to you might have been a first time experience to thousands of fans.

And for this, I apologize.  I often assume everyone is a dude.  Sexist, I realize.  Sorry about that.
No biggie.  Smiley
I was just getting a little confused when you'd refer to 'him' when replying to others because I wasn't sure if you were referring to me or Axl.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #799 on: October 24, 2014, 09:22:24 PM »

Yawn- your constant attempts on a GNR forum to belittle the band are tiresome to many of us.
you honestly think the booklet was the only issue?

You can make numbered little lists until the cows come home and some here, with a similar aganda may validate you, but the truth remains the truth.

Azoff has well earned the nickname of  "The Poison dwarf" in the industry, he once left a snake in a rival's mailbox, do a little research on him.  Kiss

Your oversimplification of facts, with the explicit intent of validating your narrative is rich, and very pathetic.

So, I take the time to address all your points, and that gets me....this.  Whatever this is.

What a great waste of my time.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: