Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:12:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227826 Posts in 43249 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)  (Read 246105 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #840 on: October 28, 2014, 02:26:24 PM »

I agree that the next album will contain songs from the Chinese Democracy-era.  As much as it may annoy you to hear it, the fact remains that we don't know at this point if the next album will ONLY contain songs from that era, or if it will be mixture of older and newer material.  I think there's  a chance some newer material could be on there.  But, unfortunately, we won't know until we see or are told the writing credits for the next album.  It may suck, but that's how it will probably be.

As crazy as it seems, I think we have to actually root against new DJ or Ron songs.

Look how long its taking to simply get something released that's already done, long done.  Do we really want to see them start from scratch on a handful of songs?  They haven't show any interest in doing this in 8 years.  Does it seem plausible they will do a 180 in work ethic, and get those cranked out in a few months to include on a new album next year?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #841 on: October 28, 2014, 02:29:55 PM »

So let's make you DJ.  You come up with a song idea you'd like to actually record someday and get out there.  What's your better avenue?

Even if Axl follows through on his word and "looks into" the next release, its looking at stuff written and recorded over 10 years ago before DJ was even there.  He's not telling DJ to bring him song ideas and they will rush it onto any alleged album that might come out.  If that's how things worked, would Ron be teasing leaving the band every 2 or so years?

A studio 'Ballad Of Death'.....

Didn't you sort of ask and answer your own question here?

I've tried to bring up this point numerous times here.  Dj came up with a song (BOD) and gets it out there to GNR/Axl/fans by playing it as his solo during GNR shows.  If you check out the early versions compared to the more recent ones, you can see how the song has evolved with the other band members (except Axl & maybe Chris) now having added their own parts to "Dj's solo" making it IMO a major GNR collaboration.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #842 on: October 28, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »

So let's make you DJ.  You come up with a song idea you'd like to actually record someday and get out there.  What's your better avenue?

Even if Axl follows through on his word and "looks into" the next release, its looking at stuff written and recorded over 10 years ago before DJ was even there.  He's not telling DJ to bring him song ideas and they will rush it onto any alleged album that might come out.  If that's how things worked, would Ron be teasing leaving the band every 2 or so years?

A studio 'Ballad Of Death'.....

Didn't you sort of ask and answer your own question here?

Not really.  Unless you think a DJ instrumental guitar track will be on the next album, which I do not.

I've tried to bring up this point numerous times here.  Dj came up with a song (BOD) and gets it out there to GNR/Axl/fans by playing it as his solo during GNR shows.  If you check out the early versions compared to the more recent ones, you can see how the song has evolved with the other band members (except Axl & maybe Chris) now having added their own parts to "Dj's solo" making it IMO a major GNR collaboration.

But again, do you see it on the album?  I'd consider it a longshot. 

Just because they tweaked it a bit as it was played at concert after concert, I'm not sure that's exactly a huge collaborative effort.

That long band solo segment during the UYI tour evolved too.  But its not like that was a serious composition.  Just a live jam.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #843 on: October 28, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »

A performance of a guitar solo with no lyrics from Axl Rose is a major contribution to the band?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #844 on: October 28, 2014, 02:46:31 PM »

A performance of a guitar solo with no lyrics from Axl Rose is a major contribution to the band?
Yes.  The word 'band' alone signifies that it consists of more than one person.

And as I pointed out, check out what the other band members have already added to the song.

Just because we haven't yet heard Axl sing the lyrics to Ballad of Death doesn't mean they don't exist.

Take like when Bumblefoot first started playing Don't Cry as his solo.  It was "only" a performance of a guitar solo even though we all know there are lyrics.  Now we not only have Axl singing the lyrics but we also have the entire band adding in their parts.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #845 on: October 28, 2014, 02:51:51 PM »

And as I pointed out, check out what the other band members have already added to the song.

Just because we haven't yet heard Axl sing the lyrics to Ballad of Death doesn't mean they don't exist.

Take like when Bumblefoot first started playing Don't Cry as his solo.  It was "only" a performance of a guitar solo even though we all know there are lyrics.  Now we not only have Axl singing the lyrics but we also have the entire band adding in their parts.

While true on paper, doesn't it sort of depress you at least a little bit that we have to go these absurd lengths to find instances of our favorite band acting like a band?

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #846 on: October 28, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »

Not only can I listen to Dont Cry as a full song with lyrics whenever I want ..... there's even a recording with alternate lyrics  Smiley

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #847 on: October 28, 2014, 02:58:19 PM »

While true on paper, doesn't it sort of depress you at least a little bit that we have to go these absurd lengths to find instances of our favorite band acting like a band?
Depress me??  Absolutely not.
I have always felt that GNR in every era/incarnation acted not only like a band but acted like GNR.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #848 on: October 28, 2014, 03:03:13 PM »

I have always felt that GNR in every era/incarnation acted not only like a band but acted like GNR.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............ why go there... then somebody is going to say how can you compare eras...and then you and others are going to get mad...

you are better off keeping it to the discussion of DJ and what he can contribute or will contribute to the next record or live shows

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #849 on: October 28, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »

Not only can I listen to Dont Cry as a full song with lyrics whenever I want ..... there's even a recording with alternate lyrics  Smiley
MAYBE when CD II is released you'll be able to listen to Ballad of Death as a full song with lyrics by Axl ....PLUS there will be a bonus track with alternate lyrics by Izzy!!!  Grin

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............ why go there...

I went there only because DgenX has expressed his opinion on numerous occasions that he does NOT consider GNR in it's current incarnation to be a "band"

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #850 on: October 28, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »

Wow, do you grade on a curve.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #851 on: October 28, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »

They are a band... but really not in a traditional sense if you are going to be fair...

I know you don't like DX's take...and the fact that he expresses that opinion fairly regularly, but until they make music together... he has a point.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #852 on: October 28, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »

MAYBE when CD II is released you'll be able to listen to Ballad of Death as a full song with lyrics by Axl ....PLUS there will be a bonus track with alternate lyrics by Izzy!!!  Grin

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............ why go there...

I went there only because DgenX has expressed his opinion on numerous occasions that he does NOT consider GNR in it's current incarnation to be a "band"

This is a serious question... has there ever been a hint or clue that there are lyrics to BOD or a plan for there to be ?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:15:26 PM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #853 on: October 28, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »

I think the most current incarnation (2009 onwards) is not much of a band in the legit sense by any objective standard.

And the only people I see so passionately arguing that it is have a very, very vested interest in not giving any ground to the idea things are not hunky dory.

This all changes if an actual album comes out.  Until then, its a touring band that doesn't write, record, release, or even hang out except onstage.  It's not a band, its a job.

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #854 on: October 28, 2014, 03:22:20 PM »

This is a serious question... has there ever been and hint or clue that there are lyrics to BOD or a plan for there to be ?
No.  Not that I'm aware of.

This conversation started when DgenX asked how a band member would go about introducing new material into the band and included Ballad of Death in his follow-up post about what would be included in a studio session.

A studio 'Ballad Of Death', a studio 'Silkworms', a 'This I Love' with a different vocal track, the umpteenth remix of 'Better'.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #855 on: October 28, 2014, 03:24:46 PM »

This is a serious question... has there ever been and hint or clue that there are lyrics to BOD or a plan for there to be ?
No.  Not that I'm aware of.

This conversation started when DgenX asked how a band member would go about introducing new material into the band and included Ballad of Death in his follow-up post about what would be included in a studio session.

A studio 'Ballad Of Death', a studio 'Silkworms', a 'This I Love' with a different vocal track, the umpteenth remix of 'Better'.

We only heard about 20-25 seconds of it, to be fair.  I have no idea if its anyone other than him, really.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #856 on: October 28, 2014, 03:26:58 PM »

OK

I know I am going to regret this... but an instrumental piece... with nothing to do with anybody from the original band including Axl... that to me has nothing to do with Guns n Roses other than by association

@GeorgeSteele..I meant to respond to you... do you really think anybody would hold on to a song they really are in to with no way of knowing if getting it out with GNR is ever going to happen over using it for SIXX AM ?

I would think DJ makes nice money with SIXX Am as well

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #857 on: October 28, 2014, 03:28:15 PM »

I know I am going to regret this... but an instrumental piece... with nothing to do with anybody from the original band including Axl... that to me has nothing to do with Guns n Roses other than by association

I'd agree in principle, but would be willing to see it differently if it winds up on an album and goes out under their banner.

As just a live jam at a concert?  No.

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #858 on: October 28, 2014, 03:35:17 PM »

I'd agree in principle, but would be willing to see it differently if it winds up on an album and goes out under their banner.
I'm getting confused now but I think I agree with DgenX here.

As far as I know, Dj ONLY performs Ballad of Death with GNR (as opposed to performing it when playing with SIXX:Am or any other band) so IMO the potential for it to evolve into a song on CD II is there.

That's what we're saying, right??  confused

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:41:23 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #859 on: October 28, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »

I rather like BOD, I must say.  Always have.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: