Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:55:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227829 Posts in 43249 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)  (Read 246166 times)
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #860 on: October 28, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »

@GeorgeSteele..I meant to respond to you... do you really think anybody would hold on to a song they really are in to with no way of knowing if getting it out with GNR is ever going to happen over using it for SIXX AM ?

I would think DJ makes nice money with SIXX Am as well

Even accounting for horrible record sales these days, I think he's way better off releasing his best music through GNR instead of Sixx AM.  Also, when I say 'best', I'm ignoring the possibility that he has specific parameters for what kind of music he writes for the 2 bands, which are likely different.

Now, I see your point, assuming it's true when you say he has no idea if the music he creates for GNR will ever be released.  That could be the case, but his public comments suggest he has fair amount of confidence that his stuff will be part of future GNR releases.  
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #861 on: October 28, 2014, 03:51:09 PM »

@GeorgeSteele..I meant to respond to you... do you really think anybody would hold on to a song they really are in to with no way of knowing if getting it out with GNR is ever going to happen over using it for SIXX AM ?

I would think DJ makes nice money with SIXX Am as well

Even accounting for horrible record sales these days, I think he's way better off releasing his best music through GNR instead of Sixx AM.  Also, when I say 'best', I'm ignoring the possibility that he has specific parameters for what kind of music he writes for the 2 bands, which are likely different.

Now, I see your point, assuming it's true when you say he has no idea if the music he creates for GNR will ever be released.  That could be the case, but his public comments suggest he has fair amount of confidence that his stuff will be part of future GNR releases.  

I truly think it's just wishful thinking on his part tho...just basing that off past results.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #862 on: October 28, 2014, 04:09:05 PM »

If you are DJ (or Ron, I suppose) you are in a tough spot.

You want to light a fire under Axl's ass to get an album out, because until he clears the deck of CD-era stuff, your stuff will never get out.

But, history is littered with the bleached bones of people that tried to tell Axl what to do, so its not a real viable plan.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #863 on: October 28, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »

You want to light a fire under Axl's ass to get an album out, because until he clears the deck of CD-era stuff, your stuff will never get out.

But, history is littered with the bleached bones of people that tried to tell Axl what to do, so its not a real viable plan.

The difference is that Dj has never expressed anything other than optimism about working with Axl on future GNR albums and his (Dj's) contributions to them.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #864 on: October 28, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »

The difference is that Dj has never expressed anything other than optimism about working with Axl on future GNR albums and his (Dj's) contributions to them.

The newest recruit is always the most positive. 

They learn.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #865 on: October 28, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »

They learn.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/bios/dj.html
Member Of GN'R Since: March 2009

He's been "the most positive" for over 5 years now.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #866 on: October 28, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »

They learn.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/bios/dj.html
Member Of GN'R Since: March 2009

He's been "the most positive" for over 5 years now.

...and the newest recruit.

Ron used to say this stuff too.  After awhile, management is not even returning his messages.

Again, he'll learn.

ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #867 on: October 28, 2014, 08:43:31 PM »

So the argument seems to be that DJ may not contribute his best material to Guns because it may never actually be used? I guess I see where you're coming from as there are many things that people wrote that haven't been released yet and may never be released. I still think he will kick as much ass as he can when it comes to writing material for GNR. Unless he's thinking one thing and saying another, he seems to be very positive about his prospects with GNR. He's been around for a long time now so I don't think that's his rookie blood talking. Dizzy seems to say positive things too and he's definitely been around long enough to know what's going on. Besides, why would DJ give Ballad of Death to GNR if he felt that nothing would ever be done with it? I just heard that song for the first time and it really knocked my socks off. Is the stuff he writes for sixx am that good? If it is then I really need to check them out.

I get a kind of nostalgic feeling from a lot of the talk going on around various GNR forums about how no new albums will ever be released. Many people said before CD came out that it would never be released. When people lose patience things begin to look more hopeless than they actually are. Once CD came out I thought that it just didn't make any sense to say those kinds of things anymore. It was clear to me that GNR music was on it's way and that it was going to probably take a very long time.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:46:35 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #868 on: October 28, 2014, 09:27:48 PM »

I get a kind of nostalgic feeling from a lot of the talk going on around various GNR forums about how no new albums will ever be released. Many people said before CD came out that it would never be released. When people lose patience things begin to look more hopeless than they actually are. Once CD came out I thought that it just didn't make any sense to say those kinds of things anymore. It was clear to me that GNR music was on it's way and that it was going to probably take a very long time.

I think in the years 2003-2005, it was hard to see a happy ending.

But I think after the return in 2006, we knew it would come out eventually.  He seemed rededicated and the band was pretty tight.  He was awesome.  Call up just about any 2006 show.  He's pretty on form.  He also had even more new songs to play.

Now...its hard to see the same situation playing out.  No new songs, he doesn't seem as sharp onstage.  You could make the argument he's lost some of his fire.

But...you have to go back to that interview earlier this year.  Very, very positive to hear him talking about moving forward.  And he seems to be having more fun onstage than in years past.  That's a good thing too.

ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #869 on: October 28, 2014, 11:14:12 PM »

I agree DX, that interview was a great sign and Axl does appear to be enjoying himself on stage recently. If you think Axl's has lost some fire because of the way he is performing, I would say that what happens with his voice is not exactly going to correlate with how inspired he is about GNR. The voice is a mysterious thing and that sure would be neat if that's how it worked but I'd say there's a million other reasons his voice could sound one or another way.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #870 on: October 29, 2014, 12:26:25 AM »

I agree that the next album will contain songs from the Chinese Democracy-era.  As much as it may annoy you to hear it, the fact remains that we don't know at this point if the next album will ONLY contain songs from that era, or if it will be mixture of older and newer material.  I think there's  a chance some newer material could be on there.  But, unfortunately, we won't know until we see or are told the writing credits for the next album.  It may suck, but that's how it will probably be.

As crazy as it seems, I think we have to actually root against new DJ or Ron songs.

Look how long its taking to simply get something released that's already done, long done.  Do we really want to see them start from scratch on a handful of songs?  They haven't show any interest in doing this in 8 years.  Does it seem plausible they will do a 180 in work ethic, and get those cranked out in a few months to include on a new album next year?
I think if it's a few tracks, anything's possible.  I think it would be cool to have some tracks written by the current band on the next album, even if there is a delay in the release.

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #871 on: October 29, 2014, 09:12:58 AM »

If you think Axl's has lost some fire because of the way he is performing, I would say that what happens with his voice is not exactly going to correlate with how inspired he is about GNR.

Unlike some of the other sites, I don't subscribe to the "cash grab" theory about them touring.  They tour.  That's the job.

When you get right down to it, every tour for every band is a "cash grab", because that's how they make their living.  I don't get how that is supposedly some sort of taunt.

But what you like to see are things moving forward.  I think you saw that in some of the other tours.

2001-02 - Introduction of the new band, some new songs, and Axl showing some higher vocal range
2006-07 - Re-introduction of a slightly different line-up, even more new songs, Axl looks and sounds as good as he has since the re-launch
2009-11 - Official tour behind the new album, a slightly tweaked line-up again, most songs ever played off CD, Axl still sounding looking and sounding good.

2012-14 though, its the first time we really see nothing new.  The whole operation seems to be running in place.  No new songs, and even fewer songs off CD.  Axl not in great physical shape, and the voice that not only doesn't hold a candle to 2006, it doesn't even hold it to 2010.  What the hell happened here?  These past 2 tours seem like going through the motions to me.  Not any sort of direction forward, and not even maintaining the level of performance we had been seeing.

The voice is a mysterious thing and that sure would be neat if that's how it worked but I'd say there's a million other reasons his voice could sound one or another way.

Well, most people would tell you its preparation, which he never does. 

Thing is, he never has.  But its harder to do that the older you get.  Like that athlete that always relied on his pure talent and quickness to take care of itself on the field.  When you get older, its gets harder.  And you have to work at it a bit more.

If you play a 2012 show, like the new DVD show, and compare it to even 2009, something's up.  And don't even think about comparing it to 2006.  Regardless of whether one chooses to still believe everything is still cream cheese, it's CLEARLY different.  Anyone with functioning ears can figure that out.  And I would absolutely argue its a lesser product we are seeing out there.  I own several hundred bootlegs of this band across all line-ups and eras, yet I don't call one up on the iPod past 2010.

But, since we always look for the positive around here, while I thought he sounded wretched back in March, he had it together by the end of the residency. That version of 'Prostitute' is scary good.  So maybe he's on the way back.  At least, that's the hope.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:15:15 AM by D-GenerationX » Logged

ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #872 on: October 29, 2014, 01:20:34 PM »

"Well, most people would tell you its preparation, which he never does. 

Thing is, he never has.  But its harder to do that the older you get.  Like that athlete that always relied on his pure talent and quickness to take care of itself on the field.  When you get older, its gets harder.  And you have to work at it a bit more." D Generation X

Really, he doesn't prepare for his tours by practicing and what not? That's really hard for me to believe! My choir teacher always told me that the voice was a use it or lose it kind of thing. She said that's why MJ always talked in that super high pitched voice. You have to keep the various muscles used for singing (like the intercostals) in great shape or you will no longer be able to maintain pressure and your ability to hit and hold notes will disappear. I can't see anyone having the power to sing like Axl, even the way he sounds  now, without doing some kind of training. I can see Bob Dylan or someone like that with a regular kind of voice not needing to train. Axl though? And are you also saying he never has trained? I know he did in the illusions era, he just didn't train with the band because he liked to go all out and felt like a jack ass doing that in rehearsal.

Where did you hear that he doesn't make any efforts to prepare and instead just tries to rely on his natural talent? This seems so strange to me because Axl once said that the only natural gift he was given as a singer was that he really wanted to be a good singer, or in other words, he wasn't talented by nature but was gifted with a very strong motivation. If he isn't training and hasn't been training that is surprising and seems almost equivalent to a sort of suicide of his own singing ability, just kind of letting it die. I can't see Axl doing that!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:24:57 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #873 on: October 29, 2014, 01:31:19 PM »

At the beginning of every tour, Axl sounds like hell. 

This is because he does not practice or rehearse with the band.  Doesn't even go to sound check.  This goes back 20 plus years.  Those first few shows of the tour, that's his warm-up.  Most big time bands do actual warm-ups before a tour they don't charge paying customers to see, but not our man.  This is pretty shitty, in my opinion, but not new either.

A good rule of thumb is that when tour dates are announced, you don't want to your town to be in the first 5 stops.  Over time, he improves, but the beginning is some rough sledding.

The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #874 on: October 29, 2014, 01:53:40 PM »

This is because he does not practice or rehearse with the band.  Doesn't even go to sound check.  This goes back 20 plus years.  Those first few shows of the tour, that's his warm-up.  Most big time bands do actual warm-ups before a tour they don't charge paying customers to see, but not our man.  This is pretty shitty, in my opinion, but not new either.

A good rule of thumb is that when tour dates are announced, you don't want to your town to be in the first 5 stops.  Over time, he improves, but the beginning is some rough sledding.

None of that is proof that he doesn't practise. Some big bands do special guest spots for free, woopy dooo... And if GnR did one in your home, you'd bitch that he hasn't done five other homes first.  rofl
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #875 on: October 29, 2014, 02:03:42 PM »

None of that is proof that he doesn't practise. Some big bands do special guest spots for free, woopy dooo... And if GnR did one in your home, you'd bitch that he hasn't done five other homes first.  rofl

Sounds about right. 

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #876 on: October 29, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »

This is because he does not practice or rehearse with the band.  Doesn't even go to sound check. 

Funny you say that because I remember he Tweeted about it in Taipei... https://twitter.com/axlrose/status/6560316548

The longest show ever played by the band was show #4 on the tour. Using your logic, you would've missed it. And (possibly) the second longest one in Osaka as well (show #3)....

Your assumption is not based on facts or knowledge.  Smiley

/jarmo

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:33:21 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #877 on: October 29, 2014, 02:44:26 PM »

Funny you say that because I remember he Tweeted about it in Taipei... https://twitter.com/axlrose/status/6560316548

The longest show ever played by the band was show #4 on the tour. Using your logic, you would've missed it. And (possibly) the second longest one in Osaka as well (show #3)....

Great show.  Best new band show, I think.

As for the first 5 shows thing, its obviously figurative and not literal.  If your town gets 1 of those first 5, you go because that's where you live.  Not much you can do about it.  All the more so if they are only doing 2 shows in your entire county, and only make it back there every few years.

But, you are better served not having the first few gigs of any leg.  20 plus years of touring backs that up.

Your assumption is not based on facts or knowledge.  Smiley

Its based on 20 plus years of track record in the form of bootlegs, comments from his own band, and the man himself.  (like the very tweet you reference, where he is making light of his lack of attendance...duh)

But, these are inconvenient truths, so I realize that some would rather just stick their fingers in their ears and scream "la-la-la". 

It that's how you cope, I'm not here to shit on your process. 

Everything is awesome!  Buy seats for opening night!  You will NOT be disappointed!

(something like that?)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:49:07 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #878 on: October 29, 2014, 02:52:12 PM »

Its based on 20 plus years of track record in the form of bootlegs, comments from his own band, and the man himself.

The only inconvenient truth is that you don't know as much as you think.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #879 on: October 29, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »

Its based on 20 plus years of track record in the form of bootlegs, comments from his own band, and the man himself.

The only inconvenient truth is that you don't know as much as you think.

If that makes you feel better, so be it.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: