Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:40:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227770 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Dj interview at LegendaryRockInterviews.com (Sep 2014)  (Read 245419 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #820 on: October 24, 2014, 10:46:16 PM »

I wasn't all that interested in the remixes.

But that one 3 minute leak that was a medley of sorts had the 'This I Love' but in his 'Madagascar' type voice.  It sounded badass.  I'd love to get that whole song.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #821 on: October 25, 2014, 12:20:33 AM »

Regardless, my point was there is zero indication that any material DJ has written or will write for GN'R and Sixx: AM is divided up or allocated as I just described.

I'd agree, in principle.

But, then you have to consider he writes something he feels strong about.  With two avenues to get it out there, which way is he going to go?
It could depend on what band it fits stylistically. I have all the Sixx:AM records, and none of them sound like any GN'R record.

Ali
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #822 on: October 25, 2014, 12:45:23 AM »

DX, that sounds badass! If those kinds of surprises are in store with the remix, I am super stoked about it and can't wait till it comes out. Sucks for the band that it leaked though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:09:18 AM by redneckrudy » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #823 on: October 25, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »

The record company seemed to not want to do any of the promotion they promised. I don't know what they promised. At least they could have printed the alternate covers. I'm sure there's lots of things they could have done to promote the album without Axl. I don't blame him for being pissed off. He appears to have taken some time off after CD was released, and that's completely understandable considering what an arduous process it was. That must have felt like taking the biggest shit ever. What a relief it must have been. No wonder he didn't want to deal with any BS afterwards.

So you?re saying the record label may have breached its obligations under the contract by not promoting the album as promised?  If so, doesn?t that give rise to a breach of contract claim, which could give you the right to terminate the contract.

People act like this contract is a blood oath that is inflexible and one-sided in its application.  That Axl and Co. live under the oppressive shadow of ?the contract?.  A contract is nothing more than an agreement regarding the parties rights and obligations regarding whatever the object of the contract is.  There are ways out, especially if one party is not living up to the terms of the agreement. 

Obviously, I have not seen their record contract, but I find it hard to believe it says the record company can do whatever it wants, without fault, and that GnR must cater to their every whim or else.
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #824 on: October 25, 2014, 09:11:32 AM »

Regardless, my point was there is zero indication that any material DJ has written or will write for GN'R and Sixx: AM is divided up or allocated as I just described.

I'd agree, in principle.

But, then you have to consider he writes something he feels strong about.  With two avenues to get it out there, which way is he going to go?
It could depend on what band it fits stylistically. I have all the Sixx:AM records, and none of them sound like any GN'R record.

Ali
I take it to mean that in Sixx AM, Dj is being himself, and in GNR he is playing a part.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #825 on: October 25, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »

I'd agree, in principle.

Ali
I take it to mean that in Sixx AM, Dj is being himself, and in GNR he is playing a part.

Exactly! 
Ali
Legend

« Reply #826 on: October 25, 2014, 01:57:52 PM »

I'd agree, in principle.

Ali

Yes, he has to play guitar parts other people wrote in GN'R.  That's not exactly earth shattering news.  I still don't see why that translates to him binning his song ideas as Sixx: AM=A list and GN'R=B list.  There's no indication of that from the interview you linked to.  He doesn't say anything of the sort.

Ali
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #827 on: October 25, 2014, 08:18:57 PM »

I'm not sure if it was written out in a contract or not G.K. From what I can remember the complaint was in reference to things that were "agreed upon". I don't know what happened. Whatever it was, it was a big enough deal to Axl that he took the course of action he did. I think it's cool that some small town guy like Axl came to the point that he can hold his own against an entire record company. I hope he gets them to do things his way because his way is a better outcome for me. The record company is more interested in the material in terms of what kind of money it can produce, not what kind of value it has as a piece of art. I therefore profit from Axl's interests more than I do the interests of the record company.

DX, how can you not think that DJ will go all out when it comes to writing his material for GNR? He was given a huge opportunity to show the world what he is made of. What does he have to gain by not making the most of it? I would imagine that developing GNR songs is probably a whole different kind of process than writing songs for Sixx AM. Does DJ do each part of every Six AM song a hundred different ways and pick the best way? Probably not. Does he do that with GNR songs? If the past is anything to go off of then it could very well be the case.

I also wanted to add that last night I met a Dutchmen who didn't know about GNR until CD came out. He says it got a lot of hype wherever he was at the time (not sure if it was France or the Netherlands). He was stoked on CD and then continued to explore the GNR catalog from there. It was really interesting to talk with him about it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 08:23:40 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #828 on: October 25, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »

The record company seemed to not want to do any of the promotion they promised. I don't know what they promised. At least they could have printed the alternate covers. I'm sure there's lots of things they could have done to promote the album without Axl. I don't blame him for being pissed off. He appears to have taken some time off after CD was released, and that's completely understandable considering what an arduous process it was. That must have felt like taking the biggest shit ever. What a relief it must have been. No wonder he didn't want to deal with any BS afterwards.

So you?re saying the record label may have breached its obligations under the contract by not promoting the album as promised?  If so, doesn?t that give rise to a breach of contract claim, which could give you the right to terminate the contract.

People act like this contract is a blood oath that is inflexible and one-sided in its application.  That Axl and Co. live under the oppressive shadow of ?the contract?.  A contract is nothing more than an agreement regarding the parties rights and obligations regarding whatever the object of the contract is.  There are ways out, especially if one party is not living up to the terms of the agreement. 

Obviously, I have not seen their record contract, but I find it hard to believe it says the record company can do whatever it wants, without fault, and that GnR must cater to their every whim or else.

Some here are well aware of what a contract is and what it entails, without knowing specifics it is foolish to speculate imo.

I don't see anyone here saying that "the record company can do whatever it wants etc."

It was simply said that the botched booklet wasn't the only reason for the reaction.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:29:42 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #829 on: October 25, 2014, 10:32:17 PM »

DX, that sounds badass! If those kinds of surprises are in store with the remix, I am super stoked about it and can't wait till it comes out. Sucks for the band that it leaked though.

You just heard it?

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Ali
Legend

« Reply #830 on: October 26, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »

That does seem to be what he is saying in the interview.

You have a point there, it makes sense, for now anyway.

Yes, assuming that he doesn't write specifically for certain projects or doesn't allocate material he didn't write specifically for a certain project at the outset based on stylistic fit.

Ali
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #831 on: October 26, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »

You just heard it?

Actually I'm not internet savvy enough to find something like that if I wanted to but it sounds cool according to how DX described it. Besides, I don't want to spoil everything for myself again like I did before CD came out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:40:17 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #832 on: October 28, 2014, 09:15:58 AM »

DX, how can you not think that DJ will go all out when it comes to writing his material for GNR? He was given a huge opportunity to show the world what he is made of. What does he have to gain by not making the most of it? I would imagine that developing GNR songs is probably a whole different kind of process than writing songs for Sixx AM. Does DJ do each part of every Six AM song a hundred different ways and pick the best way? Probably not. Does he do that with GNR songs? If the past is anything to go off of then it could very well be the case.

Well, how we would know that?

Ron has told us that the band has yet to get together in 8 years time now to write a note together.  And even if you wanted to try and make the argument the others are working on stuff individually, its never been worked on.  I have no evidence that Ron, DJ, or anyone has come up with something for GNR on their own.  But we know from their own words that they've never been in the studio..

So let's make you DJ.  You come up with a song idea you'd like to actually record someday and get out there.  What's your better avenue?

Even if Axl follows through on his word and "looks into" the next release, its looking at stuff written and recorded over 10 years ago before DJ was even there.  He's not telling DJ to bring him song ideas and they will rush it onto any alleged album that might come out.  If that's how things worked, would Ron be teasing leaving the band every 2 or so years?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #833 on: October 28, 2014, 09:20:49 AM »

You just heard it?

Actually I'm not internet savvy enough to find something like that if I wanted to but it sounds cool according to how DX described it. Besides, I don't want to spoil everything for myself again like I did before CD came out.

Its a 3 minute medley of sorts of some other stuff supposedly done already.

A studio 'Ballad Of Death', a studio 'Silkworms', a 'This I Love' with a different vocal track, the umpteenth remix of 'Better'.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #834 on: October 28, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »

Ron has told us that the band has yet to get together in 8 years time now to write a note together.  And even if you wanted to try and make the argument the others are working on stuff individually, its never been worked on.  I have no evidence that Ron, DJ, or anyone has come up with something for GNR on their own.  But we know from their own words that they've never been in the studio..

So let's make you DJ.  You come up with a song idea you'd like to actually record someday and get out there.  What's your better avenue?

Even if Axl follows through on his word and "looks into" the next release, its looking at stuff written and recorded over 10 years ago before DJ was even there.  He's not telling DJ to bring him song ideas and they will rush it onto any alleged album that might come out.  If that's how things worked, would Ron be teasing leaving the band every 2 or so years?

There really is no way to know....but lets say DJ comes up with a riff that he absolutely adores... hard to imagine that hes going to hold on to it for god knows how long on the off chance Axl ever decides to try it out.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #835 on: October 28, 2014, 01:57:18 PM »

There really is no way to know....but lets say DJ comes up with a riff that he absolutely adores... hard to imagine that hes going to hold on to it for god knows how long on the off chance Axl ever decides to try it out.

I'm not so sure about that.  For example, both in terms of exposure and royalties, don't you think Robin was better off bringing his Better riff to Guns rather than some solo album where in all likelihood hardly anyone would ever know about it (that's assuming he could have done much with it without Axl)?  While I understand that the wait and uncertainty may cause a band member to do otherwise, in the long run, it seems it would be much wiser for them to use their best stuff for Guns. 
Ali
Legend

« Reply #836 on: October 28, 2014, 02:01:31 PM »

Ron said in his Reddit AMA that they've worked on each other's song ideas.  As far as whether or not DJ has come up with material for GN'R, he has said that he has.

We also have no idea whether or not the next album will solely contain songs from past sessions.  There may be newer material included.  We really don't know.

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #837 on: October 28, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »

I'm not so sure about that.  For example, both in terms of exposure and royalties, don't you think Robin was better off bringing his Better riff to Guns rather than some solo album where in all likelihood hardly anyone would ever know about it (that's assuming he could have done much with it without Axl)?  While I understand that the wait and uncertainty may cause a band member to do otherwise, in the long run, it seems it would be much wiser for them to use their best stuff for Guns. 

True, but they were at least acting like a legit band back then.

The people that worked on 'Chinese' during that time likely thought they were part of a viable operation.  Robin had to assume that it was going to go out under the GNR banner.

DJ has no such assurances.  To call this current band dysfunctional would actually be a compliment.  But even overlooking the fact they do nothing that a band does, which some are perfectly content to do, you have to also take stock of what you do have going on.

It looks like its going to take a downright Act Of Congress to get another album out.  But even if that happens, its only to release long recorded songs by long gone people.  At absolute best, anything DJ is writing is 2 albums away.

Do you really see 2 more albums out of Axl?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #838 on: October 28, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »

Ron said in his Reddit AMA that they've worked on each other's song ideas.  As far as whether or not DJ has come up with material for GN'R, he has said that he has.

We also have no idea whether or not the next album will solely contain songs from past sessions.  There may be newer material included.  We really don't know.

With all due respect, I've grown rather tired of that game.  The "we don't really know" game.  Because it seems that that game requires you always picture the best case scenario.  Can't recall too many people going down the "we don't really know" road that leans towards anything but a rosy outlook.

(this is not directed at you, specifically, Ali...but everyone that seems to travel down this path)

I'm an educated guess guy.  And that educated guess is that if another album even comes out, its more of the same.  Its songs written and recorded by guys LONG gone that want nothing to do with Axl or GNR.  But with a few riffs and drum fills from the current band cut and pasted and shoehorned over top of the work to give the illusion of collaboration.

Basically, 'I.R.S.'.  'I.R.S.' is one of my favorite new GNR songs.  But that song was written recorded and done YEARS ago.  I happen to like the few riffs from Ron that they awkwardly stuck on there, but that's not going to lead to me saying Ron was really involved in the creative process.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #839 on: October 28, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »

With all due respect, I've grown rather tired of that game.  The "we don't really know" game.  Because it seems that that game requires you always picture the best case scenario.  Can't recall too many people going down the "we don't really know" road that leans towards anything but a rosy outlook.

(this is not directed at you, specifically, Ali...but everyone that seems to travel down this path)

I'm an educated guess guy.  And that educated guess is that if another album even comes out, its more of the same.  Its songs written and recorded by guys LONG gone that want nothing to do with Axl or GNR.  But with a few riffs and drum fills cut and pasted and shoehorned over top of their work to give the illusion of collaboration.

Basically, 'I.R.S.'.  'I.R.S.' is one of my favorite new GNR songs.  But that song was written recorded and done YEARS ago.  I happen to like the few riffs from Ron that they awkwardly stuck on there, but that's not going to lead to me saying Ron was really involved in the creative process.
I agree that the next album will contain songs from the Chinese Democracy-era.  As much as it may annoy you to hear it, the fact remains that we don't know at this point if the next album will ONLY contain songs from that era, or if it will be mixture of older and newer material.  I think there's  a chance some newer material could be on there.  But, unfortunately, we won't know until we see or are told the writing credits for the next album.  It may suck, but that's how it will probably be.

Ali
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: