Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 10:33:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227992 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dizzy Reed Reveals Details Of New GNR Album (from Triple M Sydney)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dizzy Reed Reveals Details Of New GNR Album (from Triple M Sydney)  (Read 76726 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2014, 11:56:06 AM »

"I love the speech part (I don't want to lose HEART!!!) and I love the guitar solo that's played with it.  That solo gives the effect of something coming to a boil."

Woah, yeah I can totally see that.

Norway, that's a great point. I feel like songs in cd can be very cryptic and universal, very open to interpretation.

I agree with Jarmo. I couldn't relate to Mortis' feelings about songwriting. I don't know what topical songwriting actually means but I'll be sure to look it up. There are a lot of great songs written about memories. As far as the songs having to be in the vault for so long, the end result as well as the reasons are not completely known but I am very happy with what has brought into creation so far and see the long period of waiting as a good trade off for exceptional material.

Yeah... it doesn't matter to me how old the songs are... I just question the strategy behind it... I know I know... thats frowned upon

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »

"I love the speech part (I don't want to lose HEART!!!) and I love the guitar solo that's played with it.  That solo gives the effect of something coming to a boil."

Norway, that's a great point. I feel like songs in cd can be very cryptic and universal, very open to interpretation.

I agree with Jarmo. I couldn't relate to Mortis' feelings about songwriting. I don't know what topical songwriting actually means but I'll be sure to look it up. There are a lot of great songs written about memories. As far as the songs having to be in the vault for so long, the end result as well as the reasons are not completely known but I am very happy with what has brought into creation so far and see the long period of waiting as a good trade off for exceptional material.

Yeah... it doesn't matter to me how old the songs are... I just question the strategy behind it... I know I know... thats frowned upon

You clearly think you are some expert in the music business and the band should cater to your every whim.  Just where do you get off?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »

Lyrics are neat, they are like the psychological aspect of a song. It's not important that one looks too far into them, but if they do and they find something they feel is deep or original it is always a plus.

Yeah I know DX, I done fucked up! Oh wait, you were talking about Jaeball haha.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:03:22 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2014, 12:02:31 PM »

You clearly think you are some expert in the music business and the band should cater to your every whim.  Just where do you get off?

haha...yep....

I also would like to add... that I even tho yesterday i stated this is a very important time for GNR imo, and things could go one way or the other depending on what happens... I do fully expect that the album will be released in the next 24 months

Axl saying it rather than Dizzy or DJ saying it gave me good hope

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »

Presumably because they were done in the same session as the last album, which did have such songs.

So, he brings it up because of that. But why? You don't either seem to get what I'm saying, or you're refusing to.

See below:

He made a point that he prefers songs written now to offer a glimpse into the present. I made a point that great songs are timeless. And it doesn't matter when they were written/recorded.

Since you keep going on and on with me, do you disagree?

Yes and no.  

I agree that a good song is a good song regardless.  But I would also say that it can sound dated, which can be said without it being some grave insult.

We are talking about lyrics. Not production. Or?

The original poster brought up the song lyrics being about a person who had a relationship with Axl a while ago. But then when you listen to the lyrics, it might be about almost anybody. Like any great songs.

Axl could write a song about his childhood today. Would that be an issue for the original poster? Maybe, maybe not.
The bottom line is, they're all songs about life. Mostly his life.

When you read a biography on somebody, the most interesting thing isn't always the ending, or the beginning. It's the in between.

I believe I made this exact point with 'Shackler's Revenge'.  Good song, I like it, but sounds like something that might have come out 7-8 years prior.

That's your opinion. Once again, I'm talking about the subject of the song, or when it was recorded. Not the production of it.

You can record a song today and make it sound like it was done in 1972. Isn't technology amazing?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »

The original poster brought up the song lyrics being about a person who had a relationship with Axl a while ago. But then when you listen to the lyrics, it might be about almost anybody. Like any great songs.

I guess.

But in this case, we know who its about.  And they broke up 16 years prior to the song coming out. 

This is the double edged sword of waiting "until its ready".  People hear it and think, my god, is this dude still hung up on a girl from 16 years ago?  Well, no, not really.  Its just that he sat on this thing so long, by the time he got it out, it seemed like ancient history.

None of that makes is a good or bad song though.  That comes down to how the song sounds, which I think speaks to your point.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
mortismurphy
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2014, 12:26:21 PM »

There are more straw men here than a scarecrow convention here.

Firstly, I did not say that ''I preferred songs written x amount of time to the date of release''. I said, the process, by which songs are shelved for ten years before being released is a frustrating and illogical process which derails any sort of, creative rhythm. As I said, even if Axl releases everything tomorrow in a big boxset, he is going to want to tour for x amount of years so any songs written now, or next year, will not potentially be heard until 2025. And, presumably - if this album truly is CD2 - Ashba and BF can kiss goodbye to their songwriting credits.

You know, there is a logic to - write album, record album, promote and release same album, tour album, record next album, starting pattern again - the cycle Axl departs so much from. There is a reason why rock n' roll bands have followed this same pattern since the day rock n' roll was invented in the mid 1950s. It simply, makes sense. Bands when they do tour, tour off the back of a new release which reflects where they are at now. Setlists, artwork, can be coordinated around the new release. Axl has completely abandoned this cycle since he re-emerged in 1999 and as a consequence, his career is a mess. There are songs which were conceived in 1999 featuring completely different line-ups of Guns N' Roses sitting on shelves gathering dust as the compact disc market goes progressively belly-up! And nobody seems to know what is going on, not even his own band mates (just listen to Dizzy's ''people looking through the tapes'' comment). They seem as out-of-loop as we are!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:29:03 PM by mortismurphy » Logged
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2014, 12:36:07 PM »

The lyrics about relationships do strike a chord with me, he provides some neat insight into relationships, but I have never once thought "who is Axl singing this song about?" when it comes to those kinds of lyrics. It could very well be Stephanie Seymour or whoever, but it could also be some other person I've never even heard of as far as I know and basically it is just not important at all.

If people heard CD songs and thought "Oh man, Axl really misses so and so!", I think that's actually pretty damn funny.

Mortis Murphy, is Axl's career really a mess? It doesn't seem that way to me. I think if I was in his shoes and someone said my career was a mess I wouldn't know what else to do but laugh. The thing about judgment is that it implies vanity.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:39:30 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2014, 12:39:36 PM »

No. it's not a mess...just not where we all thought it would be.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »

Firstly, I did not say that ''I preferred songs written x amount of time to the date of release''. I said, the process, by which songs are shelved for ten years before being released is a frustrating and illogical process which derails any sort of, creative rhythm.

No, you said:

I happen to like the fact that albums reflect the artists as they are, now

Sounds similar.  ok

Unless you start arguing that songs recorded years ago can reflect GN'R now.... Which would be ironic.

Regarding the rest of your post and what other bands do, I'd like to get D-X to point out that no band wants to be like GN'R. So why compare GN'R to the rest....  Tongue

/jarmo

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:43:29 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »

The lyrics about relationships do strike a chord with me, he provides some neat insight into relationships, but I have never once thought "who is Axl singing this song about?" when it comes to those kinds of lyrics. It could very well be Stephanie Seymour or whoever, but it could also be some other person I've never even heard of as far as I know and basically it is just not important at all.

If people heard CD songs and thought "Oh man, Axl really misses so and so!", I think that's actually pretty damn funny.

Mortis Murphy, is Axl's career really a mess? It doesn't seem that way to me. I think if I was in his shoes and someone said my career was a mess I wouldn't know what else to do but laugh.

When Axl reemerged in 1999, if you said to him that ''he would have only one album out by 2014 and his more talented musicians would have departed'', I imagine he would have regarded it as a failure, also. Remember the 'trilogy' comment? ''18 songs and a bonus disc'' (quoting from memory)?
mortismurphy
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »

Firstly, I did not say that ''I preferred songs written x amount of time to the date of release''. I said, the process, by which songs are shelved for ten years before being released is a frustrating and illogical process which derails any sort of, creative rhythm.

No, you said:

I happen to like the fact that albums reflect the artists as they are, now

Sounds similar.  ok

Regarding the rest of your post and what other bands do, I'd like to get D-X to point out that no band wants to be like GN'R. So why compare GN'R to the rest....  Tongue

/jarmo

I like the situation of release - it does not reflect the song. Yes, I would have preferred to have walked into a store and bought CD in 2002 and not 2008, but the songs do not materially alter (although they do production wise but that is a separate argument).
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »

I like the situation of release - it does not reflect the song. Yes, I would have preferred to have walked into a store and bought CD in 2002 and not 2008, but the songs do not materially alter (although they do production wise but that is a separate argument).

Nobody's denying that most of us fans would've loved to been able to buy new GN'R albums yearly, every other year or whatever.  But it didn't happen.
Does it make the songs themselves worse? Not to me. Maybe to you it does because you want them to be... And if that's not the case, sorry. But you were the one bringing up this so called issue.

So out of the blue you bring up all these "issues" (?) you (will) have with the next GN'R album. It's kinda funny. How are we gonna believe that you can listen to those tracks with an open mind? You've already pretty much labeled it a mess and voiced your grievances on the production, lyrics and people involved.

Your review is pretty much done before we know anything about the album.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »

No. it's not a mess...just not where we all thought it would be.

Probably how I'd put it as well.  He's still out there, still making some coin.  Earning a living, doing his thing.

But if you could ask 1999 Axl if this was the plan for the next 15 years, impossible to believe this was the answer he'd give you.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2014, 12:57:45 PM »

DX has said no other band would run this business like this. 

With an inexperienced management team and a standoffish relationship with anyone and everyone, up to and including their own fans.

Countless other bands would have LOVED to have the parameters this one had circa 1999 and see what they could have done with it.

mortismurphy
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »

Nobody's denying that most of us fans would've loved to been able to buy new GN'R albums yearly, every other year or whatever.  But it didn't happen.
Does it make the songs themselves worse? Not to me. Maybe to you it does because you want them to be... And if that's not the case, sorry. But you were the one bringing up this so called issue.

So out of the blue you bring up all these "issues" (?) you (will) have with the next GN'R album. It's kinda funny. How are we gonna believe that you can listen to those tracks with an open mind? You've already pretty much labeled it a mess and voiced your grievances on the production, lyrics and people involved.

Your review is pretty much done before we know anything about the album.

/jarmo

Again, the straw man rears his head.

Really, it is hard to discuss this with you when you just paraphrase things I said, which I didn't even say!

The mess I referred to is not musically as such - as you said, I have not heard CD2. The mess is, sorting through god knows how many tracks, recorded ten years ago with completely different line-ups. The mess is, the current line-up not getting songwriting credits (I do not know that for certain but this could be the scenario if we are given cd2). You read and post these comments, Jarmo, made by Stinson, Dizzy, Fortus, Ashba. Everyone of these comments has people going through the old material and sorting the stuff to put out. These comments have been going on for about 3 years now. There is your mess.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »

Mortismuphy, you may want to brush up on your rock history some......for example this little band from England....
 Stones pulled songs from 1972 to put on an album released in 1981...the album did pretty well and no one complained then.

Tattoo You is an album primarily composed of outtakes from previous recording sessions, some dating back a decade, with new vocals and overdubs. Along with two new songs, the Rolling Stones put together this collection to have a new album to promote for their worldwide American Tour 1981/European Tour 1982 beginning that September. Guitarist Keith Richards commented in 1993:

"The thing with Tattoo You wasn't that we'd stopped writing new stuff, it was a question of time. We'd agreed we were going to go out on the road and we wanted to tour behind a record. There was no time to make a whole new album and make the start of the tour."[1]

Recording[edit]The album's associate producer, Chris Kimsey, who'd been associated with The Stones dating back to Sticky Fingers (1971) said Tattoo You "...came about because Mick [Jagger] and Keith were going through a period of not getting on. There was a need to have an album out, and I told everyone I could make an album from what I knew was still there."[1] He began sifting through the band's vaults: "I spent three months going through like the last four, five albums finding stuff that had been either forgotten about or at the time rejected. And then I presented it to the band and I said, 'Hey, look guys, you've got all this great stuff sitting in the can and it's great material, do something with it."[1]

Many of the songs consisted at this point of instrumental backing tracks for which vocals had not been recorded. Jagger said in a 1995 interview, "It wasn't all outtakes; some of it was old songs... I had to write lyrics and melodies. A lot of them didn't have anything, which is why they weren't used at the time ? because they weren't complete. They were just bits, or they were from early takes".[2] Despite the eclectic nature of the album, the Rolling Stones were able to divide Tattoo You into two distinct halves: a rock and roll side backed with one focusing on ballads.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:02:28 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2014, 01:02:59 PM »

Is the outcome really that bad? To you CD is "one album" but to me CD is "the album". It was worth the wait. Sometimes things don't turn out the way we planned them to but that doesn't necessarily mean the end results add up to a failure.

My dad is the same age as Axl. The fact that Axl is that old and still has enough ambition to undertake a project like CD (which sold four million copies), a follow up project, and countless tours is an absolute mystery to me. He's doing great.

mortismurphy
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »

I know, Neil Young has returned to old material also. The only difference being, five albums separate Tattoo You from 1972! The Stones in the interim did not just pile up all their songs on a shelf; they were releasing albums on a year-by-year basis.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »

tis true....

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: