Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:00:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227795 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  GUNS N' ROSES: 'Reckless Road' Biography To Be Turned Into Movie
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GUNS N' ROSES: 'Reckless Road' Biography To Be Turned Into Movie  (Read 75271 times)
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« on: November 15, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »

The GUNS N' ROSES biography "Reckless Road: Guns N' Roses And The Making Of Appetite For Destruction", in which author Marc Canter tells of the making of the band's multimillion-selling debut, "Appetite for Destruction", is being made into a movie. The film, which will not be a documentary, has been in works for about four months now and will feature "a few A-list people in the cast," according to Canter, who says that he is not making the movie himself but insists that the people behind it "will do it right."

Writing on the unofficial GUNS N' ROSES web site MyGNRForum.com, Canter (pictured above) says: "I do have a big say-so on the script, which is still being put together now, but so far looking cool.

"I am going to see that everyone in the cast is doing their job and doing justice to the band. Since I was there, I know what the dialog was between the band for many of the events that took place."

He continues: "When you find out who is making the movie, you will then understand that it will be very cool.

"I'm proud of all the hard work that was put into this project and it's just going to kick ass! In no way will it be a cheesy movie like 'Rock Star' [the 2001 Warner Bros. film starring Mark Wahlberg as a salesman-turned-rock star styled after Tim 'Ripper' Owens, who fronted a JUDAS PRIEST cover band before being tapped to become the new lead singer of the actual group]."

Canter, an amateur photographer and the owner and general manager of the legendary rock 'n' roll hangout Canter's Deli in Los Angeles, California, adds: "There really is such a great story here that even the outtakes will be great."

With regards to whether the current and former members of GUNS N' ROSES ? including singer Axl Rose ? are backing the project, Canter says: "Axl doesn't support anything to do with the old band except playing their songs live. However, I do think he will be happy with the fact that it will clear up some stories that have been said about him from those days that were told incompletely. So setting the record straight on some of those evens will be a good thing for him to see happen."

He adds: "Axl should know by now that I have his back and that it will be done right.

"If I'm involved in a GUNS N' ROSES project, then you know I have their backs.

"There is a great story about the birth of the band which I was very much involved in.

"This has nothing to do with where the band is today.

"The history is very important and that's why Axl was the one who was most supportive of me documenting what they were doing when they first started out."

Canter, who has been friends with Slash for over 35 years and had unlimited access to the formative years of one of the greatest rock bands of all time, also reiterated that the movie will not be a cheesy, low-budget affair and that he will go to great lengths to insure that the story of GUNS N' ROSES' early days is told accurately.

"The people I'm working with are the best ones to do this project," he says.

"There is so much detail in the way it all came together that tells the killer rock 'n' roll story of the best band around. Why hide it? I have all the resources to help make it right.

"When the script is done, the band will be able to look at it and help fix things that are off a bit. The goal is to get it right."

He continues: "No one has been cast at this point but I would expect to see a few A-list people in the cast. [We're] just working on [putting together] the perfect script. Then they will move on to the next step, and yes, it will bring in a whole new slew of fans and sell a shitload of records for the band. Also the band will do well on the music used for the movie."

Canter adds: "I did get Axl a draft copy of the book about a month before it went to print but never heard back from him. If there was something he wanted to add, it would have got added."

When teenager and amateur photographer Marc Canter set out to document his best friend Saul Hudson's rise as a rock guitarist in 1982, he never imagined he was documenting the genesis of the next great rock 'n' roll band. His friend became the legendary guitarist Slash, and Canter found himself witnessing the creation of GUNS N' ROSES front and center. The candid shots contained in "Reckless Road", taken as the band toured in 1985-1987 and made the legendary album "Appetite For Destruction", capture their raw, blood-sweat-and-tears performances as well as their intimate moments. Containing original gig memorabilia including show flyers, ticket stubs, set lists, press clippings, and handwritten lyrics as well as in-depth interviews with band members and the people closest to them, "Reckless Road" offers an explicit, first-person perspective readers won't find anywhere else.

Originally published in America in 2008, "Reckless Road" contains interviews with Slash, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler, as well as groupies, failed producers, and former managers and bandmates. Canter amassed a treasure trove of memorabilia, including:

* Lyrics to "My Michelle", written on the back of a water-stained flier
* A $37,500 advance check from Geffen that has Slash's name misspelled as "Stash"
* 1,000 never-before-seen photos

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-reckless-road-biography-to-be-turned-into-movie/

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 11:20:09 PM »

A Guns N Roses movie?  Fuckin lame.  Also, am I the only one who doesn't give a fuck about how "Appetite For Destruction" got made anymore?  It's 2014.  The story has been told ad nauseum for the past 27 years.  Who gives a shit about lyrics on  the back of a pizza box, recorded sex acts in "Rocket Queen"  or any of the other thousand stories we have heard at this point?  We got it.

Also this dude claims to have Axl's back while at the same time dropping this line which seems like a not too subtle insult.
"Axl doesn't support anything to do with the old band except playing their songs live."  Roll Eyes

rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:17:52 AM »

Something dosent seem right here.

im not that interested either to be honest.

In the other hand me being a huge Illusion geek i would love a doc-film about those times, especially with the footage they shooted during that time, none lame actor shit, the real deal with real footage, and no 2010s era commentary interviews only 90s footage.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
gnrfan1797
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 11:05:58 AM »

Did anyone else read that the reckless road book is being turned into a movie? I think it would be cool! Who could possibly play those 5 guys?
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »

I have the book and really like it. While the movie could go either way, I will at least give it a shot and check it out when it comes around. It has the potential to 1: be pretty cool, 2: improve Axl's public image, and 3: stir up some welcome interest in the band.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 02:38:28 AM »

In the other hand me being a huge Illusion geek i would love a doc-film about those times, especially with the footage they shooted during that time, none lame actor shit, the real deal with real footage, and no 2010s era commentary interviews only 90s footage.

Same here. And there should be tons of material from UYI era, especially from the tour. I think there was a project called "Perfect Crime" that was supposed to be a documentary of the UYI tour with lots of footage on stage and off stage. But I guess that got cancelled after the tour. Would be great to see some video material from the studio too, if possible.

But this acting stuff? Meh. A good documentary of the AFD era would be great, but this sounds like it's going to be a high school movie project of "my favourite band".

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 01:49:04 PM »

A Guns N Roses movie?  Fuckin lame.  Also, am I the only one who doesn't give a fuck about how "Appetite For Destruction" got made anymore?  It's 2014.  The story has been told ad nauseum for the past 27 years.  Who gives a shit about lyrics on  the back of a pizza box, recorded sex acts in "Rocket Queen"  or any of the other thousand stories we have heard at this point?  We got it.

Also this dude claims to have Axl's back while at the same time dropping this line which seems like a not too subtle insult.
"Axl doesn't support anything to do with the old band except playing their songs live."  Roll Eyes

To the first part, I agree.  Seems like pretty well worn tread on this tire.

To the second part, sort of a good point.  Does seem like a little shot.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 01:49:57 PM »

Something dosent seem right here.

im not that interested either to be honest.

Yeah, the 'Perfect Crime' project, right?

I too would be more interested in that.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »

This is a 'Dead Horse' already? The news is only 2 days old  Huh
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 01:58:18 PM »

It's about the Old Time.

GNR2014
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 02:00:18 PM »

It's about the Old Time.

Ah, I see. I thought those went here: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?board=12.0
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 02:02:02 PM »

It's about the Old Time.

Ah, I see. I thought those went here: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?board=12.0

Yeah, decent point.

I just can't recall any topic about the old era exclusively lasting in the big room.  I actually never even noticed that other section.  I thought all old shit went here.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 02:28:55 PM »

Marc is on the naughty list and he's going to forever stay there after this...

Very hard to make a movie like this just like a sports movie ...hard to make it look and feel authentic

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »

I thought the Jonny Cash movie was pretty good. Not sure how accurate it was or whatever, but I do remember hearing Jonny Cash music everywhere for a while after it came out.

GNR2014
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 05:06:47 PM »

It's about the Old Time.

The band has a 30 year history and we're only allowed to discuss one album -- Chinese Democracy?
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 05:32:16 PM »

It's not that we aren't allowed to discuss anything other than CD, its just that the movie isn't really relevant to what Guns is doing now which is what the focus of the main GNR discussion board is if I'm not mistaken.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 05:38:37 PM »

It's about the Old Time.

The band has a 30 year history and we're only allowed to discuss one album -- Chinese Democracy?

I always assumed the big room was current events only.

But not any just new band stuff.  If you started some thread about 2006, I don't think it stays there.

Princess Leia
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 03:47:08 AM »

It's not that we aren't allowed to discuss anything other than CD, its just that the movie isn't really relevant to what Guns is doing now which is what the focus of the main GNR discussion board is if I'm not mistaken.

First of all the band is doing nothing at the moment. Unless you mean the side projects. But that?s not GN?R related stuff. So I don?t see anything wrong about talking about this in the main GN?R forum. My personal opinion on the matter is the following: knowing Axl I wouldn?t be surprised if this plan to make a movie ends up in a lawsuit against Marc Canter.
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 03:53:05 AM »

I wouldn?t be surprised if this plan to make a movie ends up in a lawsuit against Marc Canter.

I hope it does.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
GNR2014
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 05:08:41 AM »

I wouldn?t be surprised if this plan to make a movie ends up in a lawsuit against Marc Canter.

I hope it does.

Why?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: