Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:28:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227798 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  GUNS N' ROSES: 'Reckless Road' Biography To Be Turned Into Movie
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GUNS N' ROSES: 'Reckless Road' Biography To Be Turned Into Movie  (Read 75287 times)
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #220 on: January 26, 2015, 05:27:29 PM »

Thanks for proving my point about the idiotic and illogical nature of the induction process in much more detail than I originally offered ok

Thanks for completely ignoring my point that the particulars of the induction process doesn't change the fact that the current GNR lineup hasn't furthered the GNR legacy one iota.   ok

Why wouldn't they? They helped create a Guns N' Roses album, played countless shows with the band, and have been with the band almost as long, or in some cases longer, than the original members. What more do they need to do to be deserving of induction in your eyes? Find a cure for cancer? Bring about world peace?

See above.  Bottom line: and this has already been addressed -- if GNR had never existed in any form beyond 1993, they'd still be remembered as much, as still be a worthy inclusion in the Hall of Fame.  Anything that happened after that has been "extra" at best, regardless of long-serving members and how many shows they've done.  Lots of bands can claim long-serving members and tours, that alone doesn't make them worthy of induction.

Explains the droves of people who wore KFC buckets to the shows

I always thought that was better left unexplained.   hihi   I used to say that if you'd worn a KFC bucket on your head to a GNR show in 1988, Axl himself would've mocked you from the stage, if the fans hadn't kicked your ass first.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:46:07 PM by Bridge » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2015, 05:29:23 PM »

Thanks for completely ignoring my point that the particulars of the induction process doesn't change the fact that the current GNR lineup hasn't furthered the GNR legacy one iota.   ok

Yeah, why just gloss right over that?  Because its inconvenient?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2015, 07:15:41 PM »

Right. People are going to (and enjoying the shows) and singing along to the new songs because the GNR legacy has been at a standstill since 1993 Roll Eyes

Anything that happened after that has been "extra" at best, regardless of long-serving members and how many shows they've done.  Lots of bands can claim long-serving members and tours, that alone doesn't make them worthy of induction.

An "extra" to you perhaps. Lots of other fans have enjoyed most or all of the post-UYI lineups, enjoyed the new album and the shows the band put on. Just because you choose to sit at home with your panties in a knot because Slash left nearly 2 decades ago while watching the Ritz DVD on a loop doesn't mean everybody else operates like you.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2015, 07:20:35 PM »

An "extra" to you perhaps. Lots of other fans have enjoyed most or all of the post-UYI lineups, enjoyed the new album and the shows the band put on. Just because you choose to sit at home with your panties in a knot because Slash left nearly 2 decades ago while watching the Ritz DVD on a loop doesn't mean everybody else operates like you.

No one is saying any of that though.

We're saying the post UYI line-ups don't affect how the band legacy is viewed, or into their induction.

No one is saying the new band is bad.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #224 on: January 26, 2015, 07:26:32 PM »

Right. People are going to (and enjoying the shows) and singing along to the new songs because the GNR legacy has been at a standstill since 1993 Roll Eyes

Yet another point that I've already made that you completely ignored.  There are tons of bands that still tour long after their heyday has expired.  Fans still come to see them, sometimes in considerable numbers.  But what you're obviously not understanding is that there is a difference between "concert attendance" and a band's legacy.  By your logic, Great White and Poison are still every bit as relevant as they were in 1987 simply because they are still touring and releasing albums.

(And if you start arguing "well, Great White and Poison aren't as great as GNR", or "are you saying Great White belongs in the Hall of Fame?", then you will again have missed my point.)

sit at home with your panties in a knot because Slash left nearly 2 decades ago while watching the Ritz DVD on a loop doesn't mean everybody else operates like you.

Ah yes.  Those who prove their argument is meritless by resorting to silly personal comments.  Nicely done!   ok
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:29:12 PM by Bridge » Logged
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #225 on: January 26, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »

By your logic, Great White and Poison are still every bit as relevant as they were in 1987 simply because they are still touring and releasing albums.

I was unaware Great White and Poison headline major music festivals like Rock in Rio, Download, or get invited by Neil Young to perform at his charity concert. Thanks for enlightening me. We clearly must be stuck in 1993 for any of these things to be transpiring.

Ah yes.  Those who prove their argument is meritless by resorting to silly personal comments.  Nicely done!   ok

"Truth is the truth hurts, won't you agree?" Kiss
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:33:22 PM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2015, 07:34:48 PM »

I was unaware Great White and Poison headline major music festivals like Rock in Rio, Download, or get invited by Neil Young to perform at his charity concert. Thanks for enlightening me.

You missed my edit, so here it is again...

(And if you start arguing "well, Great White and Poison aren't as great as GNR", or "are you saying Great White belongs in the Hall of Fame?", then you will again have missed my point.)

Or in this case, arguing what festivals they've played.

It really is astonishing that you've managed to miss every single point that's ever made here.  But go ahead, keep misunderstanding the meaning of the word "legacy", and keep thinking that mere concert attendance constitutes legacy.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #227 on: January 26, 2015, 07:56:16 PM »

Can you explain once and for all how that guitar player in RHCP contributed to their legacy since he got inducted?

Apparently neither did the Gilby line up (1991-1993). And they were among the biggest bands in the world at that point. Ironic.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #228 on: January 26, 2015, 08:20:15 PM »

Gilby was sort of an iffy addition.  I'd agree there.

But he was at least in the band people remember.  That's why he got in.

Yet if you wanted to say, on merit, he didn't belong, I'd agree.

Wouldn't agree his time in the band didn't further their legacy.  That's a pretty shaky argument.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2015, 08:25:58 PM »

Wouldn't agree his time in the band didn't further their legacy.  That's a pretty shaky argument.

But he didn't get in!

He was in the band at the height of the UYI popularity and tour. Didn't get inducted. So in other words whoever says only people who furthered GN'R's legacy got in, are saying the GN'R legacy ended in 1991.

That's not my opinion at all.
When Nirvana was inducted, only the three guys on Nevermind and In Utero were inducted. I guess Bleach didn't matter. But the guy who joined RHCP matters? Makes no sense.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:29:35 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2015, 08:29:20 PM »

But he didn't get in!

Huh.  I thought he did.

Well, like I said, he would have been iffy.  He didn't really create anything with them.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2015, 08:31:07 PM »

It really is astonishing that you've managed to miss every single point that's ever made here.  But go ahead, keep misunderstanding the meaning of the word "legacy", and keep thinking that mere concert attendance constitutes legacy.

No, what's astonishing (aside from you spending your time on a board for a band you don't even like) is your inability to provide a rational explanation for why organizers behind major festivals like Rio or Download would have any interest in booking a band to headline whose entire legacy supposedly rests on everything pre-1993. You'd think they would have called up Great White or Poison if relevance in the 21st century meant so little to them.

My local radio station did a Guns N' Roses weekend this summer in celebration of Appetite's birthday and played songs from Chinese Democracy. Why in the world would they do that if their legacy solely rests on everything pre-1993? They should only have played the old songs crying

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2015, 08:31:25 PM »

He didn't create anything, but somebody like Tommy Stinson sure created something with GN'R.

Should he have been inducted? I have no idea.
I think he contributed to the band's legacy. More than Gilby.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2015, 08:33:16 PM »

He didn't create anything, but somebody like Tommy Stinson sure created something with GN'R.

Should he have been inducted? I have no idea.
I think he contributed to the band's legacy. More than Gilby.

I would agree with that.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #234 on: January 26, 2015, 08:37:28 PM »

But he didn't get in!

Huh.  I thought he did.

Well, like I said, he would have been iffy.  He didn't really create anything with them.

And Matt Sorum did? Weren't pretty much all of the UYI drum parts written before he joined? Unless you're going to say him covering other people's drum parts on TSI? was some stunning contribution to GN'R's legacy.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #235 on: January 26, 2015, 08:41:14 PM »

But he didn't get in!

Huh.  I thought he did.

And Matt Sorum did? Weren't pretty much all of the UYI drum parts written before he joined? Unless you're going to say him covering other people's drum parts on TSI? was some stunning contribution to GN'R's legacy.

I'm saying he played on 2 albums that comprise the bulk of the original material that people know and are familiar with.

I'm doubting Dizzy was Johnny Songwriter on those suckers either, but he's on them.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2015, 12:02:18 AM »

But he didn't get in!

Huh.  I thought he did.

I'm saying he played on 2 albums that comprise the bulk of the original material that people know and are familiar with.

I'm doubting Dizzy was Johnny Songwriter on those suckers either, but he's on them.

It is a little confusing as to who the hall of fame picks from the band to go in

Shit, how long has tommy been in the band?

Where Matt and dizzy actually band members, with writes to make band decisions?  I don't think so. They were more like paid band members. Sort of like the guy who played the harmonica on the uyi albums.  Why isn't he in?  Teddy zig zag!

I do agree with Axl in a way that the process is just weird.  Especially with a band with a rotating roster of players

So when nine inch nails gets put in, who will be inducted?  Really it's just all Trent resnor...   Some great players played on the records but they weren't true band memes in the sense of controlling the band, hired players.  And there is nothing wrong with that
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2015, 12:43:15 AM »

Shit, how long has tommy been in the band?

17 years, I think.

But what stamp would you say he put on the GNR legacy?  What is his biggest contribution, for instance?

Princess Leia
« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2015, 10:18:04 AM »

All this time I thought Gilby and Matt were there just not to leave Slash, Duff and Steven all alone. I think Duff at the time wrote in his social media or column something like Thanks Gilby for once again saving our asses.

I think if Axl and Izzy would?ve shown up we would?ve never seen Matt and Gilby. Look at the Live Era booklet. They were just additional musicians.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #239 on: January 27, 2015, 10:29:49 AM »

Matt was listed on the Wikipedia page last night when I had to double check Gilby.

Like I said last night, Dizzy and Matt weren't really song writers, but did play on the material.

Its not like its the song writing hall of fame.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: