Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:57:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228058 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 89 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 257700 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1100 on: August 25, 2015, 07:14:47 PM »

Flat footed tie in the AL East...with 38 to play.

And both the Jays and Yanks are 6 games up in the WC race.

People where joking at the begging of the year at how week the Al east was.  And how no team would get the wild card.  And how you would have to win the division to make the playoffs

Just shows you that in baseball.  Nobody really knows

Well except me.  Hahah. I think I scouted the Jays very well this season

Let's go Jays!

Yankees stink!!!!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1101 on: August 25, 2015, 07:18:02 PM »

Yep worst of his career to date, but the offense picked him up big time and Wright comes back in hits a monster shot in his first at bat. This could be a very scary team to face in the Division series.

What a night that was.  8 homers total (and tied NL record of combined 11 homers for the game).  But nothing beat what happened with David Wright.  First game back returning from a career-threatening injury and he crushes an upper-decker on the 1st pitch.  Unbelievable. 

And how about the Wilmer Flores?  Next time they consider trading him, I'll cry. 

But deGrom's performance, while not that concerning, is very irritating to me.  You don't have it some nights, that's fine, but you can't be that fucking bad. 

I wouldn't be too worried about DeGrom. It was the worst of his career but he's young and is gonna go through growing pains and have bad nights. I'd expect him to bounce back next start.

He had food poisoning type symptoms last night.....

That could certainly explain his performance.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1102 on: August 25, 2015, 07:33:08 PM »

People where joking at the begging of the year at how week the Al east was.  And how no team would get the wild card.  And how you would have to win the division to make the playoffs

Let's go Jays!

Yankees stink!!!!
To be fair, the AL East was a horrible division early on in the season. But the Yankees have been much better and more consistent than I think most expected. And the Blue Jays made some major moves to improve the team. No one could've foreseen that back in the spring. I had hoped that the Red Sox would be somewhat mediocre and make some major improvements like the Jays did. But they couldn't achieve mediocrity. Toronto did, and since the AL East was pretty weak at the time, they decided to load up. Not sure they would've made those moves if they were in the NL Central for example. Might as well go for it whenevery team in the division is flawed in some way.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1103 on: August 25, 2015, 07:38:38 PM »

Let's go Jays!

Yankees stink!!!!
To be fair, the AL East was a horrible division early on in the season. But the Yankees have been much better and more consistent than I think most expected. And the Blue Jays made some major moves to improve the team. No one could've foreseen that back in the spring. I had hoped that the Red Sox would be somewhat mediocre and make some major improvements like the Jays did. But they couldn't achieve mediocrity. Toronto did, and since the AL East was pretty weak at the time, they decided to load up. Not sure they would've made those moves if they were in the NL Central for example. Might as well go for it whenevery team in the division is flawed in some way.

Jays may go down at the end of the season as the best team in the American League.   Hell the my kicked kcs but there last series
And I know of one guy who called all this except the evil Yankees being good some how.    I still think Baltimore has a solid run in them to finish the season
Sepember is a very interesting time
And if I hear right and Stoman is close to retiring as a starter for the jays.   You are looking are one of the strongest lineups in ball.  To go with the best hitting line up and fielding line up.   

The best baby!!!

The best!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1104 on: August 25, 2015, 07:52:25 PM »

Baltimore was my pick to win the division, so I'm glad they've stayed in the race to this point. Can't discount them. Should be an exciting race down the stretch. And hey, Hanley Ramirez thinks the Red Sox still have a shot.  hihi It infuriates me he plays nearly every night instead of either Castillo or JBJ. Rusney had 5 RBI last night, sitting tonight. And of Bradley's last 11 hits, 10 have gone for extra bases. But let's play each of them 3-4 games a week instead of 6-7. Makes a lot of sense.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1105 on: August 25, 2015, 09:31:10 PM »

Yanks are getting SLAUGHTERED.

Texas up right now on the Jays, but it's early.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1106 on: August 25, 2015, 09:44:19 PM »

Brendan fucking Ryan is currently pitching in the Yanks game....

FML

Edit: And he pitches a scoreless inning..the most effective/efficient pitcher for the Yanks tonight.

And another scoreless inning.  WTF!!  That kinda night. Only in baseball!  He actually out Swishered Swisher.

Brendan Ryan for the rotation!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:03:56 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1107 on: August 25, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »

Brendan fucking Ryan is currently pitching in the Yanks game....

FML

Edit: And he pitches a scoreless inning..the most effective/efficient pitcher for the Yanks tonight.

And another scoreless inning.  WTF!!  That kinda night. Only in baseball!  He actually out Swishered Swisher.

Brendan Ryan for the rotation!!
Just one of those games where everything that shouldn't go wrong does and everything that shouldn't go right does. Hope for a better game tomorrow night.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1108 on: August 25, 2015, 10:58:56 PM »

Top of the ninth.   Mine and my two kids rally caps are on!!

Let's go Jays!
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1109 on: August 25, 2015, 11:12:54 PM »

Damn these must be magic caps!

Go Jays!!!

First place!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1110 on: August 26, 2015, 06:32:24 AM »

I'm telling you Bacon...I've said it pretty much since the deadline...I think the Jays win the division.

And I become more and more convinced that Cashman needs to go, and that Girardi is the one making Cash look even presentable as GM..and has been for about 4 years.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1111 on: August 26, 2015, 10:36:46 AM »

I'm telling you Bacon...I've said it pretty much since the deadline...I think the Jays win the division.

And I become more and more convinced that Cashman needs to go, and that Girardi is the one making Cash look even presentable as GM..and has been for about 4 years.

I don't see what he could do to get fired at this point... he has had the job forever... spent billions of dollars on bad deals.. he doesn't get along with jeter and even had a VERY PUBLIC affair behind his wife's back with a lunatic from the other side of the pond!

I think his job is safe !

With all that said.. I don't think he is a bad general manger... certainly not one of the better ones tho. He isn't really even a general manager.. he is in charge of dispersing the payroll, is how I would put it.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1112 on: August 26, 2015, 10:56:34 AM »

The Red Sox have had a horrible season. Their 3rd in the last 4 years. Major changes are needed and are undergoing. Coincidentally ratings are down on NESN for broadcasts. So what do they decide to do? Fire the beloved play by play guy, Don Orsillo, who's been there for 15 years and 3 World Series wins. He's worked the last few seasons with upwards of 40 different guys in the booth due to Jerry Remy's various health and personal issues. For those who don't know, he's battled cancer AND his son murdered his girlfriend and is now in jail. So Don had to deal with a different partner every week basically, and did so with complete professionalism.

I honestly hope this move wasn't made because of low ratings, because that makes absolutely zero sense. Try putting a competitive baseball team on the field. People will watch. Rumor also has it that Remy's workload will be scaled back to just 40 home games next season. No one is safe in Red Sox Nation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/46455/in-a-season-of-losses-don-orsillos-firing-the-worst-of-all
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:58:15 AM by faldor » Logged

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1113 on: August 26, 2015, 10:58:54 AM »

The Red Sox have had a horrible season. Their 3rd in the last 4 years. Major changes are needed and are undergoing. Coincidentally ratings are down on NESN for broadcasts. So what do they decide to do? Fire the beloved play by play guy, Don Orsillo, who's been there for 15 years and 3 World Series wins. He's worked the last few seasons with upwards of 40 different guys in the booth due to Jerry Remy's various health and personal issues. For those who don't know, he's battled cancer AND his son murdered his girlfriend and is now in jail. So Don had to deal with a different partner every week basically, and did so with complete professionalism.

I honestly hope this move wasn't made because of low ratings, because that makes absolutely zero sense. Try putting a competitive baseball team on the field. People will watch. Rumor also has it that Remy's workload will be scaled back to just 40 home games next season. No one is safe in Red Sox Nation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/46455/in-a-season-of-losses-don-orsillos-firing-the-worst-of-all

That seems ridiculous from the outside looking in...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1114 on: August 26, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »

That seems ridiculous from the outside looking in...
It is. And they've handled it poorly, to say the least. The story broke on WEEI yesterday morning and callers, media members, anyone with a brain couldn't understand it and were totally against it. NESN had no comment until minutes before the game when they issued a press release announcing they were going with radio play by play guy Dave O'Brien next season, and they thanked Don for his time. Basically leaving him twisting in the wind to do games for the rest of the year. TBS has employed him for post season games the last few years, so he'll have no problem getting another gig. But he's a local guy and this was his dream job. Don and Jerry were one of the few reasons to still watch the sorry product on the field for the dwindling viewers. They made the telecasts as enjoyable as they come could. I understand people lose their jobs, nothing is guaranteed. And O'Brien will do a fine job I'm sure. Maybe someone at NESN who had the power has an axe to grind with Orsillo. Who knows, but the whole situation makes very little sense.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1115 on: August 26, 2015, 01:26:15 PM »

Nope, it's because their terrible record is all Don's fault.  He jinxes them every broadcast.

OK, not really.  I don't understand it either....

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1116 on: August 26, 2015, 01:32:38 PM »

I don't see what he could do to get fired at this point... he has had the job forever... spent billions of dollars on bad deals.. he doesn't get along with jeter and even had a VERY PUBLIC affair behind his wife's back with a lunatic from the other side of the pond!

I think his job is safe !

With all that said.. I don't think he is a bad general manger... certainly not one of the better ones tho. He isn't really even a general manager.. he is in charge of dispersing the payroll, is how I would put it.

I think, if they don't make the playoffs (and that's looking unlikely, even with their woes of late)...it's possible.

The metrics, every year (even those they haven't made the playoffs) show the team is outperforming the metrics in wins.  That means they have fundamentally BAD teams, that Girardi is managing to improve.

He's less of a payroll dispenser, now, than he was when George was around.  Hal steps in occasionally...but most of these moves are all Cashman.  Not making moves at the deadline was all Cash.  Deciding not to improve their offense in the offseason was all Cash.

And he's made to look better because Tex and Arod (until the last month) were putting up numbers NOBODY thought possible. That's not Cash being brilliant..that's pure, unadulterated, luck.

I woudn't say he's the worst GM in the league.....but I'd say he's in the bottom 3rd.  He's lived off 2009, and much of that roster was NOT his doing.  Even the tex, aj, and sabathia deals were not really advocated by him.

He might stick around......but he shouldn't.  And the grumblings are starting to get louder...and not just from the fans.

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1117 on: August 26, 2015, 06:52:43 PM »

How the Yankees never made any trade deadline moves blows my mind

I keep reading how they didn't expect to be in first place. So anything is just a bonus.   Well when they finish just out of the playoffs.  With a crap draft position.  What exactly was the point?  They should of been all in with some of these older players that just have a little time left.   

Finishing just out of the playoffs with a old roster equals no future
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1118 on: August 26, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »

Sure is fun watching these Jays games. 

Grand slam EE!!!!!   

10-2 in the 6th
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1119 on: August 27, 2015, 01:11:24 AM »

Another huge win for the jays

Bums that said the jays couldn't keep up with the league?   Stick it!

I am very interested in the Baltimore series coming right up.   Jays should sweep Detroit.   I am a weird feeling about Baltimore
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 89 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: