Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:27:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  November Rain on Top 10 list of "Singles longer than six minutes"
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: November Rain on Top 10 list of "Singles longer than six minutes"  (Read 7504 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: February 07, 2015, 09:55:06 PM »

Here's the list:

1. 'Like a Rolling Stone' by Bob Dylan (6min 13sec, 1965). Nominated by Calum Galleitch.

2. 'MacArthur Park' by Richard Harris (7min 21sec, 1968) and Donna Summer (6min 28sec, 1978). Thanks to Tim Mickleburgh.

3. 'Hey Jude' by The Beatles (7min 11sec, 1968). Suggested by Mitchell Stirling.

4. 'Sympathy for the Devil' by the Rolling Stones, album track 1968 but released as a single in continental Europe (6min 18sec, 1973). Nominated by Ian Moss.

5. 'O Superman' by Laurie Anderson (8min 21sec, 1981). From Chris Gibbon.

6. 'Mama' by Genesis (6min 7sec, 1983).

7. 'I'm Not in Love' by 10CC (6min 10sec, 1975).

8. 'November Rain' by Guns N'Roses (8min 53sec, 1992). From Richard Tolbart and Luke Mussa.

9. 'Hallelujah' Leonard Cohen's 1984 version is 4min 36sec, but Jeff Buckley's (2007) is 6min 53sec. From Moyeen Islam.

10. 'Belfast Child' by Simple Minds (6min 39sec, 1989). Another from Tim Mickleburgh. Nominated by Jon Sopel

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/the-top-ten-singles-longer-than-six-minutes-10026632.html

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:56:44 PM »

So what do you guys think? Is it possible for a single this long to be placing on the charts nowadays?

Sweetness is a virtue
mortismurphy
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:12:38 PM »

I instantly thought reading that list, ''where is Bohemian Rhapsody?' only to discover it is 5 seconds short!
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:19:23 PM »

So what do you guys think? Is it possible for a single this long to be placing on the charts nowadays?

Oh Ya.    If it's a good song it's a good song.   Radio play would be tough to get for a song that long though.  So guns would have to have a shorter lengthed song to lead with, that is a hit.   That builds to fans discovering a longer one

This list however is weird.   Some classics but some weird ones.   
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 10:34:31 PM »

Nov Rain definitely worthy...but
No Stairway?
No Freebird?
Tuesday's Gone?
Fade to Black?
Estranged...it's gotta be tough to narrow it down to just 10 songs.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 10:39:21 PM »

No Stairway?
No Freebird?
Tuesday's Gone?
Fade to Black?

Stairway, Tuesday's Gone and Fade To Black were never released as singles.

But I agree, I would have swapped some songs on that list.

Sweetness is a virtue
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 10:50:21 PM »

No Stairway?
No Freebird?
Tuesday's Gone?
Fade to Black?

Stairway, Tuesday's Gone and Fade To Black were never released as singles.

But I agree, I would have swapped some songs on that list.

Cool, I definitely learned something new.  Didn't know that!

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »

Oh Ya.    If it's a good song it's a good song.   Radio play would be tough to get for a song that long though.  So guns would have to have a shorter lengthed song to lead with, that is a hit.   That builds to fans discovering a longer one

I was just asking that question with the current state of popular music in mind. It seems like the attention span of the general public is getting shorter and shorter. Long singles have never been a usual thing I guess, GN'R got away with it being the biggest band in the world at the time. Does anyone know of a recent long single being successful? Or any long singles being released without performing on the charts?

Artist may be discouraged to release longer songs because of the one thing you mentioned - radio play. It won't get any (or get very little).

Talking about Guns, I guess there's nothing wrong with them releasing a long single as number 2 or 3 from the album, but in today's environment I think it will probably weaken its chances to place on any chart regardless of the quality of the song. For us, the hardcore fans, it doesn't matter either way, we'll listen.

Sweetness is a virtue
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 12:00:38 AM »

I haven't heard it for a few years, but have you guys ever heard the chopped version of this some FM stations play?

It's horrid.  Barely the same song, and the greatest offense of all...it cuts out the ending.  Only the best part of the song, and the best part of most any GNR song.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »

I haven't heard it for a few years, but have you guys ever heard the chopped version of this some FM stations play?

It's horrid.  Barely the same song, and the greatest offense of all...it cuts out the ending.  Only the best part of the song, and the best part of most any GNR song.

Will always love the video...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 09:52:29 AM »

Yes I've heard it.

Make time for the full version, or don't play it at all is my stance on that.

Sweetness is a virtue
hRob
Rocker

The Defender of the Opera

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 02:19:47 PM »

Queen's Innuendo would definitely make it in my top 10 list.

13/6/2006 Prague, 27/9/2010 Prague, 13/7/2012 Pie?ťany, 4/7/2017 Prague
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 02:31:37 PM »

I think if November Rain was released today, the radio would fade it out at some point in the middle of the song.
Gotta have time for advertising.

And it seems like people's attention spans aren't what they used to be.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 02:34:18 PM »

I always just thought the radio djs just stoped the song short.   Then I finally caught on haha   Stupid radio.   The other great offence on the radios is when the djs either talk over the first few seconds of a song of the last few seconds.   Like anyone actually cares what they have to say or didn't know what song they where playing that has been out for 20years!!!
The Hinge
Headliner

Here Today...and every bloody day

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 03:05:02 PM »

I have heard the cut version - it should be a crime to play it like that ! Also stations that chop the end of Patience shit me off too !

'Most organized religions make a mockery of humanity'
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 08:36:49 PM »

Nov Rain is the longest one on the list

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 08:39:47 PM »

Yep. Don't know what the longest single ever released is (we know Estranged is longer), but November Rain is to this day the longest song to place in the Top 10 on Billboard Hot 100.

Sweetness is a virtue
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »

Yep. Don't know what the longest single ever released is (we know Estranged is longer), but November Rain is to this day the longest song to place in the Top 10 on Billboard Hot 100.

I imagine that record won't be broken.  Although curious, how does it treat longer songs that get radio edits below 6 minutes? 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 08:46:36 PM »

I imagine that record won't be broken.  Although curious, how does it treat longer songs that get radio edits below 6 minutes? 

Not sure about that actually.

I guess if the single is released as a radio edit, the edited version would count. November Rain had no radio edit version on the release, it was the LP version only.

Sweetness is a virtue
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 11:13:03 PM »

I think if November Rain was released today, the radio would fade it out at some point in the middle of the song.
Gotta have time for advertising.

And it seems like people's attention spans aren't what they used to be.

/jarmo

Good point, the "immediacy factor" figures into this as well, people seem to want instant music, instant food and waiting on something is somehow perceived as a negative thing.

I'm one of those old school audiophiles that still listens to complete albums, it surprised me how most don't these days.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: