Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:20:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  New 2 hr interview with Doug Goldstein - by Mitch Lafon
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: New 2 hr interview with Doug Goldstein - by Mitch Lafon  (Read 10213 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: March 31, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »

Listen here:

http://bravewords.com/news/former-guns-n-roses-manager-doug-goldstein-clearly-there-were-difficulties-between-the-manager-and-axl-rose-they-were-having-problems-with-slash-one-on-one-with-mitch-lafon-interview-streaming

Topics like:

- Axl
- Lawsuits
- Montreal incident
- Look At Your Game Girl
- Early 2000s
- Alan Niven
- The ownership of the band name
- Reunion

Listening now, some points:

Doug joins Guns as a Tour manager in 1987. He loved the music when he first heard it.

There were difficulties between Niven and Axl. Doug was brought in to bridge the gap between them. Also, he was needed to handle Slash trashing hotel rooms.

Niven quits after Axl no-shows at a concert. Doug is then promoted to band manager.

Alan Niven hated Axl. Doug calls Alan "the tyrant" and Axl "the genius manic depressive".

Doug could relate to Axl because he had similar people to Axl in his own family.

He had conversations with Slash about not wanting to play for very big audiences. Doug was willing to do whatever the band wanted, even scale back to club gigs, but made the point of the money being made and Slash would agree to continue.

Izzy was close with Alan. They both loved Jimmy Page. Doug thinks Alan has changed since the GNR days, he likes who he is today, but not back then.

Doug's main mission was to keep the band together. He admits to being an enabler, but felt he did the right thing in order to keep them together. Alan was the opposite, he would've had no problem throwing people out of the band. Doug felt that it wasn't his band, so it wouldn't be for him to do.

They talk about Yoda (Sharon Maynard) for a bit. She was brought in by Axl's therapist. She was involved in Axl's life right up until her death to his knowledge.

Merck came to Doug about taking in Big FD with Sanctuary. Merck wanted Doug's relationship with Axl. Doug felt that Merck sort of played him by making him look bad to Axl. While touring in Europe in 2002, Axl came to Doug to ask if he was excited about the VMAs in New York. Doug had no idea what he was talking about. Axl then said that Merck had been telling them that for 2 months. Doug contacted MTV, and found out GNR was not on the bill. He had to beg them to fit them in there, last minute. That was the last thing he did for GNR. Merck fired him.

Doug talks about the current state of Guns. Mitch asks if Axl have fired all of the members after the last tour ended. Doug says he's heard rumors like that, but nothing substantial (note: the feeling I got when he says this, is that he doesn't know anything more about this than we do on the boards). He had heard that Fernando had given the go ahead for the Appetite For Democracy DVD without telling Axl, and then Axl let everybody go. He do know that Dj remains positive in regards to GNR. Mitch brings up that a lot of side-projects popped up since last year, Doug mentions the recent Frank/Chris collaboration. They don't discuss this any more than that.

Niven had said that Adler wasted about 1 million dollars in studio time, and they needed to let him go. Doug says the final call to do this was made by the whole band. Axl was the last to sign off on it, trying until the very end to come up with another solution. Doug defends Slash, Duff and Mike Clink for setting things in motion because they were the ones spending the most time in the studio with Steven, and they couldn't work like that anymore.

He talks about the lawsuit between Adler and the band. Basically Doug and the band wasn't experts on law, so Steven rightfully won 2 million dollars in court because he was a part of the GNR "brand" and after a evaluation on his impact on it, they calculated what he was worth to that. He then talks a bit more about the proceedings themselves.

When Niven was terminated in 1991, he hadn't spoken to Axl in 9 months. Alan was busy with Great White, and Doug handled GNR while Alan cashed in on it. Doug talks about a particular harsh phone conversation between Niven and Axl. Basically Axl called Doug to tell him that his annulment with Erin came through, and he was happy. Doug saw this as an opportunity for Alan to talk to Axl and keep the relationship between them going. Niven got on the phone with Axl, and basically told him what a failure he was. Doug was really upset about that. Later Alan would go on a tirade about what a loser, cunt etc. Axl was and that's when Doug decided to continue on with Axl instead of continue his partnership with Alan. He said that he had never heard Axl talk about any of the other guys in that manner.

Doug and Alan had a different approach to managing bands. Alan wanted to be "one of the guys", while Doug needed to keep the distance.

Use Your Illusions was done the way it was because Axl wanted to make history. Having the #1 and #2 spot on Billboard at the same time had never been done before.

The Spaghetti Incident's intent was to put out something to show what the band's roots were. This to avoid always getting questions about that.

Doug had nothing to do with the creative process of Guns. When asked about Get In The Ring, he said he had no conversations with the band about that. Tom Zutat was more in that position. Doug was never really close with Tom.

He said he never wanted there to be fractions within the band. He felt his job was to be the peace keeper.

Doug says Slash and Duff's recollection of the signing over of the band name is not correct. Doug was not on tour with them at the time they proclaim this had happened. He says that if it had occurred the way they said (Axl held an audience hostage), it would have been under duress (like Axl himself has said). They talk about it might have been John Freese handling that signing.

He says that Slash and himself pretty ran all the band's business (interview appointments and such).

The documentary from the UYI tour exists, at least all the footage. The band owns the footage and it's in the vault. They filmed for 2 1/2 years both off stage and on stage.

They talk about the UYI tour. Doug thinks they changed up the stage show (with more people on stage) because of Axl's fear of not pulling it off live. When they did the Skin N' Bones tour, that was the most successful tour run financially. Doug doesn't want to say the stage show with extra people was a mistake, it was something Axl needed.

The Tokyo concert videos pulled in about 40 million dollars. That enabled them to finance their expensive music videos. The band owns the rights to 85% of each video since they financed it themselves. The remaining 15% are there as a distribution fee. He has spoken with the creative people at MTV and they said that GNR got their Video award just because of the "over-the-top" videos. He then goes on to speak about music videos today, and he's not happy that the era of the music videos are over, just because he likes them.

They talk about the Montreal riot show. Doug talks about the stage setup and how Lars wanted to change it up because the first 50 rows in the audience couldn't see the drummer. When they did change it, some pyrotechnical points had to be moved. Doug doesn't know if they forgot to tell James about it or if they did tell him and he forgot. Either way, that's why he eventually stood at the wrong place at the wrong time and went up in flames when the pyro went off. Montreal was the first show after the change in pyro points.

Axl was seeing Dr. Hans von Leden at the time because of his voice at the time. This because this doctor was known to find solutions that didn't involve surgery.

Axl was very sick at the time of the Montreal show. He was constantly having issues with his throat because he pushed his voice so much. That combined with his fear of failing live led to the band being so late at the shows. Doug wants to make a distinction between fear of failing and stage fright, he doesn't think Axl has stage fright. Mitch applauds Guns for not half-assing their shows despite of them being late and Doug agrees.

On the night of the Montreal show Mitch remembers it being 4 hours waiting before Guns appeared. Doug says 2-2 1/2. Doug says Axl had vocal warmups that normally took 1 hour plus other warm up stuff because of weak ankles and such. On the night of the Montreal show Axl shortened his preparation in order to go on as soon as he felt he could. After 6-7 songs Axl said that the promoter would refund everyones tickets and ended the show. That caused problems for the promoter as they denied the audience a refund afterwards. Doug says that after a couple of songs Axl came up to him and said (Doug imitating a very hoarse Axl) "That's it, I'm fucked, I can't sing". They attempted a couple more songs, but couldn't continue. Axl couldn't even talk. Doug dismisses Metallica's account of what happened.

The band always wanted to go back to do a make up show, but when they made a inquiry about it the promoters would simply go "no thanks".

Axl loves Slash, Duff and Izzy, he just doesn't know how to communicate it. When shit went down, it was frustrating for Doug that Axl never would defend himself.

One In A Million was Axl poking fun at the mentality he had when he first arrived in LA. Axl was never interested in defending himself publicly, again frustrating Doug. From Axl's point of view it was simple: "if they really think that's who I am, then fuck 'em".

Look At Your Game, Girl was the same deal. Axl wouldn't explain himself. Doug says Axl thought people's perception of him was "everybody thinks I'm crazy like this guy is crazy".

LAST PART FURTHER DOWN IN THIS THREAD
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:40:20 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:32:36 AM »

Listen here:

http://bravewords.com/news/former-guns-n-roses-manager-doug-goldstein-clearly-there-were-difficulties-between-the-manager-and-axl-rose-they-were-having-problems-with-slash-one-on-one-with-mitch-lafon-interview-streaming

Haven't heard it yet, but should include topics like:

- Axl
- Lawsuits
- Montreal incident
- Look At Your Game Girl
- Early 2000s
- Alan Niven
- Reunion

I'm sure this will create some lovely discussions. Did the interview take place already or no?

EDIT : Oh I think it did... will have to give it a listen tonight when I get home.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:50 AM »

Listen here:

Haven't heard it yet, but should include topics like:

- Axl
- Lawsuits
- Montreal incident
- Look At Your Game Girl
- Early 2000s
- Alan Niven
- Reunion

I'm sure this will create some lovely discussions. Did the interview take place already or no?

EDIT : Oh I think it did... will have to give it a listen tonight when I get home.

Yes, I'm listening right now. Gonna make a little summary.

Sweetness is a virtue
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »

Doug seems a bit, exited...

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:31:05 AM »

ok this has taken a weird turn...

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »

Merck came to Doug about taking in Big FD with Sanctuary. Merck wanted Doug's relationship with Axl. Doug felt that Merck sort of played him by making him look bad to Axl. While touring in Europe in 2002, Axl came to Doug to ask if he was excited about the VMAs in New York. Doug had no idea what he was talking about. Axl then said that Merck had been telling them that for 2 months. Doug contacted MTV, and found out GNR was not on the bill. He had to beg them to fit them in there, last minute. That was the last thing he did for GNR. Merck fired him.

Good lord.  If this is true, that's insane.

What the hell was Merck's plan here?  What if Doug was not able to get that worked out?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:47:14 PM »

I've listened through, and it's a long interview..

I hope to get around to transcribe the rest, but I really recommend to listen to it.

He backs up a lot of Axl's side of things. Like the Montreal riots, he said Axl WAS really sick, he could barely talk.

Good lord.  If this is true, that's insane.

What the hell was Merck's plan here?  What if Doug was not able to get that worked out?

Not sure really. Doug was probably in charge of booking shows, so if the VMAs hadn't happened while Axl was being informed that it would, it would ultimately fall on Doug even if Doug had denied it afterwards. Could have been Merck's plan.

Merck sort of playing Axl and Doug against each other.

Sweetness is a virtue
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 03:05:47 PM »

awesome interview, a lot of things clearer

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 05:26:54 PM »

Updating the transcript in stages here..

Please let me know if I misquote or have misunderstood something. If I got something wrong.

EDIT: Heres's the last part:

About Paul Tobias: From the day Axl brought him in he said "he's only here until you find somebody to replace him". Slash and Duff would just complain about it, but they didn't go find anybody else. He doesn't remember the circumstances around Sympathy For The Devil.

They talk about his quote from RS Brazil, the MJ story. Doug emphasizes that this was purely Axl's side of things. Axl was in tears when Slash went to play with Michael. It all stems from Axl's own childhood memories. Doug didn't say that was why Slash and Duff left GNR.

The letter Doug wrote to Axl in 2009, he confirms that he wrote that letter. He gave it to Beta, and then it was on the internet later, he didn't intend for it to be. He says that he has an understanding of who Axl is because Doug's brother is basically the same type of person.

Mitch brings up the "Rose Festival" idea of Doug's. He still thinks it's a great idea.

He brings up Nirvana and how Axl brought that music into the band. He was really into them. About the thing at the VMAs: It was all Courtney angering Axl by shouting "Asshole Rose" after him. Axl was hurt after that incident because he loved Kurt's music.

He says about the old band: Axl loved them way more than they knew. People could argue with that saying "actions speaks louder than words", like Slash would come to him and say "he's acting like an irrational fucking asshole". Doug knowing people like Axl from his own family knew he couldn't explain/defend it to Slash.

They talk a little more about the Rose Festival idea. How it would be great to have Van Halen and Metallica there.

He then talks a bit about his family and what he's doing work wise now.

Doug thinks Slash left because of the three-guitars idea.

Doug doesn't recall Big FD having sued Slash and Duff in 1999.

Then a bit about wanting to make amends with Axl, Slash, Duff and Alan. With Alan, Doug fought to keep him as the manager (not at the end) together with Slash. The main fight was between Axl and Alan, and Axl wanting to fire him.

Mitch proposes a reunion in 2016 and the value of it. Doug says it'll be big for the fans, but the business people would probably be a bit skeptical.

Doug recollects an idea Axl had in Tel Aviv back in 1992. He wanted to do a show with GNR opening, Pearl Jam second then U2 closing. He called Paul with U2 with the idea and they said "we're fuckin' in". He then called Kelly Curtis with Pearl Jam and he basically said they weren't interested. Doug then asked him if he, as a manager, had an obligation to run it by the band first. He then said "don't tell me what my obligations are" and then hung up. Therefore it didn't happen.

Mitch brings back the Rose Festival and Doug explains a bit what the idea was. He envisioned it like the Ozzfest, where Axl wouldn't have to play every year.

Doug doesn't know if there's a vault with like 100 songs ready to go.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:36:07 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 10:06:54 PM »

A bunch of stuff he says lines up with what we have heard in the past ... guy seems off to me tho.

I really would love to know if its true that Axl didn't know about the DVD release.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 10:10:40 PM »

I really would love to know if its true that Axl didn't know about the DVD release.

That part... in the interview he mentions it as a rumor he heard. When it comes to present day Guns he doesn't come off as knowing any more than we do really.

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 10:16:39 PM »

... guy seems off to me tho.

I had to go back to read the letter from 2009 as I didn't remember any details. Even though I understand that this was meant as a private letter to Axl, and he would probably have worded it very differently if it was a public one. I get the sense of desperation when reading that.

I don't know much about his story or anything he's done for the last 10-15 years, so for me it's hard to say where he's coming from.

He did sound quite confident and stayed pretty consistent throughout this interview. If anything, it was interesting listening to.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 01:01:31 AM »

Thanks for posting all this.  When I get time I will listen to it myself, but this made for a good read.

Was very interesting to know that guns owns 85 percent of there videos...  So I guess for fans that would love to see a remastered blueray edition, we are pretty much just waiting on guns themselfs for that....

Also 40 million is very good, just off of two Japan videos...   Very very good.  Makes your think, how much money was left on the table back in the day by this band,

But what was up with Guns going to open for pearl jam and U2....   In 1992 Guns was a much bigger world wide/american draw than those two bands combined...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 08:41:58 AM »

... guy seems off to me tho.

I had to go back to read the letter from 2009 as I didn't remember any details. Even though I understand that this was meant as a private letter to Axl, and he would probably have worded it very differently if it was a public one. I get the sense of desperation when reading that.

I don't know much about his story or anything he's done for the last 10-15 years, so for me it's hard to say where he's coming from.

He did sound quite confident and stayed pretty consistent throughout this interview. If anything, it was interesting listening to.

I agree.. the letter reeks of desperation... very unfortunate that somebody made it public tho... That's kinda fucked up. Granted... this guy may be a total asshole and deserved it... but something private is private.

It was worth the time to listen to ... for any GNR fan.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »

He certainly knew the thing was shot.  He's not blind and could see the cameras that night.  So he knew this was at least something they were thinking of doing.

But I could maybe see that he didn't know it was ever going to come out.  And I could see he assumed it got scrapped for whatever reason.

And let's face it, its not exactly a strong vocal performance from him that evening.    When I heard it, I could not believe he would be onboard releasing something where he sounded like that.

Maybe he really didn't know.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 10:00:49 AM »

He certainly knew the thing was shot.  He's not blind and could see the cameras that night.  So he knew this was at least something they were thinking of doing.

But I could maybe see that he didn't know it was ever going to come out.  And I could see he assumed it got scrapped for whatever reason.

And let's face it, its not exactly a strong vocal performance from him that evening.    When I heard it, I could not believe he would be onboard releasing something where he sounded like that.

This was filmed in 3d!

It's not not the normal concert with a couple of jib cameras

It must of cost a few bux to film, so I would hope he would of had to of signed off on it

Also with any commercial release any rights owner of material would have to sign off/give permission for that material to be released commercially

If for whatever reason Axl agreed to this blueray 3d concert signed something.  Then thought it would never get released, but it did...  That's different.   But the guy totally had to be in the loop with it all
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 10:04:59 AM »

This was filmed in 3d!

It's not not the normal concert with a couple of jib cameras

It must of cost a few bux to film, so I would hope he would of had to of signed off on it

Also with any commercial release any rights owner of material would have to sign off/give permission for that material to be released commercially

If for whatever reason Axl agreed to this blueray 3d concert signed something.  Then thought it would never get released, but it did...  That's different.   But the guy totally had to be in the loop with it all

Obviously he knew they were filming it with the intent of releasing it... but at the time he maybe didn't want to.. and it was done without him knowing at that time.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 10:07:24 AM »

Obviously he knew they were filming it with the intent of releasing it... but at the time he maybe didn't want to.. and it was done without him knowing at that time.

That is sort of what I think too.

I just find it impossible to believe he could hear that recording and decide that's something that needs be put out ASAP.

And, although we are getting way down the rabbit hole here, maybe you had to keep him in the dark because they knew he'd never sign off on going through with this.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 10:10:40 AM »

I just find it impossible to believe he could hear that recording and decide that's something that needs be put out ASAP.

And, although we are getting way down the rabbit hole here, maybe you had to keep him in the dark because they knew he'd never sign off on going through with this.

I don't care to debate whether or not he sounded his best that night...

More interested in whether or not TB would really push it thru without his complete approval at that time. People on other forums really believe that, and that they were briefly fired for doing it... obviously that is pure rumor, with no way to back up... but hearing another party mention it...just makes me curios.

But often when there is smoke there is fire.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 10:13:09 AM »

Just like duff and slash.  Axl would have to sign off on it.  

It's not like Axl is the president of some huge cOn my way! any with thousands of employes with hundreds of daily activities that need his consent

The rapid fire guy can't get that music out because it's not in guns best interest.  Duff and slash had legal issues with Axl in the past, with Axl preventing guns music on soundtracks (Blackhawk down).   So as history has proven, if Axl doesn't want something out.   It's not coming out
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: