Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 04:27:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Stay of Execution?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stay of Execution?  (Read 27626 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2015, 08:49:49 PM »

Holy shit, I can't believe the people on here who haven't heard the phrase "stay of execution" before. Don't any of you read books, newspapers (yeah, I know- What's a newspaper?), go to the movies. Folks, this is not an original phrase. In fact it's cliche as hell. I'm not trying to be a dick, but damn . . . .

Many people here aren't native English speakers.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2015, 08:43:06 AM »

As 'cliche' as it sounds, it obviously holds some significance for the artist. I am still of the opinion, based on afd and uyi, that there may be a piece of artwork (painting?) that Axl intends to use which was titled "stay of execution". With his activity centering around LA and NYC, someone must be able to find one (if you are intent on ruining a possible surprise). The use of that term could also indicate that whatever it is attached to was scheduled for 'death'...or the cutting room floor as they say in Hollywood. All just my uneducated presumptive opinion.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2015, 09:20:58 AM »

Clich?? I don't think so.

Look at any previous GN'R related titles. It doesn't seem similar to any of them.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »

Does anyone know if the categories of use can change and be more specified when the Statement of Use document has been filed by Axl?

Sweetness is a virtue
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »

Love the title personally, and I hope it is the title of the next album.

Now we just need a cover and a track listing  Grin

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2015, 01:44:55 PM »

Oh, its absolutely a clever name.  Playing on the rather colorful history of this band.

I thought '2000 Intentions' would have also been very clever that way.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2015, 02:17:22 PM »

I thought '2000 Intentions' would have also been very clever that way.

Except it kinda dates it. Just like all those Y2K references.  hihi

Chinese Democracy is more timeless in that sense.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2015, 02:54:07 PM »

Holy shit, I can't believe the people on here who haven't heard the phrase "stay of execution" before. Don't any of you read books, newspapers (yeah, I know- What's a newspaper?), go to the movies. Folks, this is not an original phrase. In fact it's cliche as hell. I'm not trying to be a dick, but damn . . . .

Many people here aren't native English speakers.

Point taken.
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »

Clich?? I don't think so.

Look at any previous GN'R related titles. It doesn't seem similar to any of them.

/jarmo

I assumed cliche was used because the execution/punishment thing is so closely associated with heavy metal bands...it was a VERY common theme here in the US late 80's to 90's...that is the only reason I was willing to concede it could be seen as 'cliche' (In response to a previous post). That said, GnR is not heavy metal, and I am sure there is a much bigger reason for the name than "it sounds cool". Gnr could release an album titled "Axl's favorite show tunes" and I would still buy it.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2015, 10:25:33 AM »

Random thought / perhaps this title has a connection to the killing of animals that Axl tweeted about last year?

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »

If it is a project other than Guns, that could be a breath of fresh air.
Inspiration to add to GN?R?s catalogue appears to have run dry, or at best the ability to follow through on it has.
A new project could be just what the doctor ordered.
A vehicle to release new music without the unattainable expectations of living up to the GN?R legacy.

I?d like to hear Axl?s Euphoria Mourning.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2015, 12:16:01 PM »

Inspiration to add to GN?R?s catalogue appears to have run dry, or at best the ability to follow through on it has.
A vehicle to release new music without the unattainable expectations of living up to the GN?R legacy.

But does that seem realistic to you?

He's got songs he's been sitting on for a decade, finished songs, that he can't get out there.

Do you really think that's all down to the pressure of the name?  And, removed from the equation, a notorious foot dragger gets moving?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »

He's got songs he's been sitting on for a decade, finished songs, that he can't get out there.

Do you really think that's all down to the pressure of the name?  And, removed from the equation, a notorious foot dragger gets moving?

The name is probably contractually obliged to release those songs on the Universal Music label. Meaning, it's likely that Universal has a say on how/when those Guns N' Roses songs get released.

I don't know if you could take all that material, put it out under a different name and not have to answer to Universal.
Even guest appearances on other peoples' albums are usually listed as "appears courtesy of _______ Records".

So, could Axl take all those songs, put them out under a new band name without the involvement of Universal? I have no idea.
Could he put them out incognito without the involvement of Universal? No clue.

But I suspect they would have a say in it.

/jarmo

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »

Well I?m not holding my breath.
I just believe he bit off more than he could chew, and maybe stepping out from underneath the enormous weight of the name, could be invigorating.
I?m not expecting it, but I?d be very interested if it came to pass.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2015, 06:29:50 PM »

https://twitter.com/StayOfExecution

I assume this one's probably registered by fan..

Axl would probably not have somebody write "In the mind of a genius"  hihi

Sweetness is a virtue
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2015, 08:25:51 PM »

Well I?m not holding my breath.
I just believe he bit off more than he could chew, and maybe stepping out from underneath the enormous weight of the name, could be invigorating.
I?m not expecting it, but I?d be very interested if it came to pass.

I agree!
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2015, 08:31:30 AM »

The name is probably contractually obliged to release those songs on the Universal Music label. Meaning, it's likely that Universal has a say on how/when those Guns N' Roses songs get released.

I don't know if you could take all that material, put it out under a different name and not have to answer to Universal.
Even guest appearances on other peoples' albums are usually listed as "appears courtesy of _______ Records".

So, could Axl take all those songs, put them out under a new band name without the involvement of Universal? I have no idea.
Could he put them out incognito without the involvement of Universal? No clue.

But I suspect they would have a say in it.

/jarmo

Yeah I would think since they foot the bill for all those years... songs from that time period would have to be under their umbrella..

Maybe newer songs with Ashba if they exist would be able to slide over ?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »

Does the label get copies of all recordings done up until now?  If they don't, how would they know if something is an old recording? 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2015, 09:37:48 AM »

I don't know if they own the songs, I think they might have the right to release album(s).

So I'm assuming as long as they get the amount of minutes to fill an album, that's what they are entitled to. Doesn't matter when the songs were recorded?

Unless there's some kind of "we paid for these recordings" situation...

/jarmo

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2015, 09:39:03 AM »

Does the label get copies of all recordings done up until now?  If they don't, how would they know if something is an old recording? 

Good question... I would imagine that they have a good idea of what Axl spent their money on... but I guess you could be right.
If a song comes out with writing credits to Buckehead... I think that would be a give away  Wink

Again... a new project/new name as a vehicle to release songs would be so amazing.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: