Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:51:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup  (Read 115885 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2015, 04:06:57 PM »

Could they though?

Hasn't he taken to saying the past few years that he was done with all that and had moved on?

This would represent a softening of that stance. And the reunion zealots don't need much to go on.

"Never say never" is basically their credo and mission statement.  "Never say never" was why the HOF was going to happen, in their eyes.

What else can you say when you're sure the other person isn't doing it? After those comments Axl made, you think Slash would say "I'm ready to do it!"? No way.
Does it mean he wouldn't have been into it if Axl had changed his mind the next day? It's all about looking cool.

Steven Adler also said he was done with Axl! Does anybody here believe he wouldn't do it in a heartbeat if he was asked? Wink

In terms of relevance, the reason GNR is still relevant to this day is because of the work of the core four members of GNR.

They'd be less relevant if Axl didn't keep going.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2015, 04:07:48 PM »

Yeah and this is what's going to get certain people all hot n bothered...

"Going to get"?  Three pages and counting on this thread, amigo!  I'd say we're already there!

That's funny, this thread about a partial interview with Slash is the most relevant thing in the GNR section right now.  Go figure.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:11:02 PM by Bridge » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »

In terms of relevance, the reason GNR is still relevant to this day is because of the work of the core four members of GNR.

I don't see how.  Its not like anything Axl has done in the past 20 years has added to it in any real way.

'Welcome To The Jungle' and 'Sweet Child O' Mine' would still be radio staples if Axl never sang another note post 'TSI?'

Hell, if the pack of them were abducted by aliens in 1995, opinion on GNR would be the same as they are today because their prime is all anyone (but us) ever talks about.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2015, 04:12:53 PM »

/jarmo

[/quote]

I don't agree with you on that. I think even if Axl wouldve put on a disapearing act from 96 till today they'd still be relevant.

Let's even take Axl out of the equation. The reason that Slash get's to go on morning show's to promote "charities" is because of his work in GNR.

Let's not stop there, The reason Duff get's publishing deals is because of his work in GNR.

The core guys will always be relevant.

Cant say that about any of the current members ( and I'm a fan of the current line up).
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2015, 04:20:39 PM »

I don't agree with you on that. I think even if Axl wouldve put on a disapearing act from 96 till today they'd still be relevant.

Let's even take Axl out of the equation. The reason that Slash get's to go on morning show's to promote "charities" is because of his work in GNR.

Let's not stop there, The reason Duff get's publishing deals is because of his work in GNR.

The core guys will always be relevant.

Cant say that about any of the current members ( and I'm a fan of the current line up).

Agreed all around.

There are no Slash and Duff interviews that don't eventually get around to GNR.  This will never change.  Its the most relevant thing they have ever or will ever do, those prime years when they were the biggest rock band in the world.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2015, 04:21:04 PM »

In regards to the GNR reunion part of the interview, I think its important for people to watch the actual video.  The questions came out of right field.  I was thrown off by the (awful) transition of the interview and then they rapid fired GNR questions at him.  I know that Slash is accustomed to answering GNR questions, but this was on national TV and the questions seemed to catch him off guard.  
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 04:22:14 PM »

In regards to the GNR reunion part of the interview, I think its important for people to watch the actual video.  The questions came out of right field.  I was thrown off by the (awful) transition of the interview and then they rapid fired GNR questions at him.  I know that Slash is accustomed to answering GNR questions, but this was on national TV and the questions seemed to catch him off guard.  

You do wonder if even right after he turned to whoever and said something along the lines of "man, that's going to bite me right in the ass."

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »

No shit.  It went from a charity he was passionate about, directly to GNR reunion bullshit.  It was obvious that the interviewers had that intention all along, they were just letting Slash talk a bit about the elephants before going WHAM!  Now let's talk reunion!  Really, it was pretty disgusting to think about jumping from the charity subject to the GNR reunion.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2015, 04:35:57 PM »

I don't see how.  Its not like anything Axl has done in the past 20 years has added to it in any real way.

'Welcome To The Jungle' and 'Sweet Child O' Mine' would still be radio staples if Axl never sang another note post 'TSI?'

Hell, if the pack of them were abducted by aliens in 1995, opinion on GNR would be the same as they are today because their prime is all anyone (but us) ever talks about.

If the band had ended in the 1990s, you'd have these topics to discuss: Live Era, Greatest Hits, RNRHOF and whether or not the band will reform one day.

No shit.  It went from a charity he was passionate about, directly to GNR reunion bullshit.  It was obvious that the interviewers had that intention all along, they were just letting Slash talk a bit about the elephants before going WHAM!  Now let's talk reunion!  Really, it was pretty disgusting to think about jumping from the charity subject to the GNR reunion.

And none of the headlines reflect the charity. No surprise.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:03:08 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2015, 04:38:02 PM »

If the band had ended in the 1990s, you'd have these topics to discuss: Live Era, Greatest Hits and whether or not the band will reform one day.

And none of the headlines reflect the charity. No surprise.

/jarmo

Is that Slash's fault though?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2015, 04:41:38 PM »

Yeah, but how do you fight that?

They pretty much do that with his solo stuff too, right?  They are getting that GNR/Axl question out there, eventually.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »

Plenty of fans are indifferent to Slash?s solo output, the change in Axl?s voice, sound/direction of Chinese Democracy and so on.
If they had disbanded and disappeared from the spotlight back in ?93, people would remember them going out at the top of their game, and that could make the the demand for a reunion even greater.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2015, 04:47:56 PM »

Plenty of fans are indifferent to Slash?s solo output, the change in Axl?s voice, sound/direction of Chinese Democracy and so on.
If they had disbanded and disappeared from the spotlight back in ?93, people would remember them going out at the top of their game, and that could make the the demand for a reunion even greater.

Not a bad point.

Look at Nirvana.  By him blowing his brains out whole they were still pretty much at the height of their fame, you have no real bad memories.  No so-so albums, or petering along until it just all petered out.

That's what I say when people ask me about GNR breaking up.  I say that I have no real bad memories of the band, because that 7 year stretch was pretty much all awesome.

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »

How's a reunion the only hope for relevance? It's basically the wet dream for those who like to look back.....

/jarmo

And exactly how is the current lineup forward thinking?  Every song the current lineup plays is based off the back catalog (even the CD ones ? think Fink, Bucket and Brain).  Appetite for Democracy = "a wet dream for those who like to look back."  I mean, if shows are largely going to be based on songs from 20+ years ago, it?s natural to want to have the people that actually created them to be on stage. [insert ?another setlist complaint? response here]
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »

You do wonder if even right after he turned to whoever and said something along the lines of "man, that's going to bite me right in the ass."

Haha I agree.  What's incredible though is that after I watched the video I thought for sure no headlines would come of it.  It seemed like he was being badgered with annoying questions on live national TV and he answered them as best and positively as he could.  And now there are ridiculous headlines about it!

In other news not to brag, but I met Slash today right after this interview haha.  He came by my workplace to do some press and I got a picture with him and he signed my AFD record.  Looking forward to the show tonight!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2015, 04:58:44 PM »

And where did I say it was?

In the past, he's told journalists "no GN'R questions". I guess this was one of those interviews where it was fine to ask about GN'R... And look what happened.
Nobody is surprised.

And exactly how is the current lineup forward thinking?  Every song the current lineup plays is based off the back catalog (even the CD ones – think Fink, Bucket and Brain).  Appetite for Democracy = "a wet dream for those who like to look back."  I mean, if shows are largely going to be based on songs from 20+ years ago, it’s natural to want to have the people that actually created them to be on stage. [insert “another setlist complaint” response here]

You answer my question with a question? A question I never said anything about. Funny.
Only certain fans would make a statement such as "reunion is the only way to be relevant".

Appetite For Democracy featured more songs not on any of the old albums than what a band like AC/DC plays on their tours supporting their latest albums. Go figure.

By the way, there'd be no setlists for you to whine about if Axl didn't keep GN'R going. So the fact that you bring up their first Vegas residency, means it must be relevant!  Cheesy

Like I said, if Axl hadn't kept going, there's be way less GN'R press over the years. Whether or not you think that's relevant is irrelevant. That kept GN'R in the spotlight more than a dormant band would have done.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:05:44 PM by jarmo » Logged

Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2015, 05:04:53 PM »

And where did I say it was?

In the past, he's told journalists "no GN'R questions". I guess this was one of those interviews where it was fine to ask about GN'R... And look what happened.
Nobody is surprised.

/jarmo

In his defense, the show he was on was Live television, so he may have made the request beforehand and then blindsided with the question.

But the fact that different media outlets are running with it tells you the relevance of the old band.
mortismurphy
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »

I have never been much into the idea of a reunion but I am under no illusions that 99.9% of the people who would ever potentially be interested in GN'R could do so, only on the understanding that it is '' Axl & Slash''. The new band is either routinely mocked or has failed to register.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2015, 05:55:43 PM »

In his defense, the show he was on was Live television, so he may have made the request beforehand and then blindsided with the question.

But the fact that different media outlets are running with it tells you the relevance of the old band.

I'm aware that it was on a big network and that might explain the less controlled situation from his part. But, nobody can be surprised at how it turned out.

Also, where did I say what you claimed I said? I'm still waiting for your answer to that.
I have a bit of a problem with people who tell me I said something that I didn't. I stand for what I say, I won't stand for what you think I said, or accuse me of saying.

Relevance? Hard to tell if it's relevance or just wanting something you don't have. The music itself is timeless. So that's not exactly the issue. It's always been relevant.
It's not about the music, it's about the reunion talk. Chances are, nothing will change regarding the way you look at (or hear) the music.

/jarmo

oldfan
Rocker

aka.... hrmmmmm

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2015, 06:25:11 PM »

I say they do it and I'll be there  ok

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: