Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:11:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup  (Read 115775 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #540 on: May 28, 2015, 01:51:45 PM »

I very seriously doubt Slash or Duff would consider any CD tunes true GNR songs.

I agree. Duff was brought in as a (temporary) replacement in Newgnr. A full blown reunion would entail the dismantling of newgnr. Also there would be an expectation to hear the great songs that a reunited line-up created. Can you imagine the reaction? ''From Hollywood California, Guns N' Roses'', cue Slash playing the Chinese Democracy riff?

Those songs are still a part of GN'R and Axl's legacy. In theory, it's not much different than the current band playing the classic stuff. There are quite a few fans of the band that likes the Chinese material.

To extend the thought a bit, would it be much different for Slash to play a Rolling Stone or AC/DC cover than some songs from Chinese? Because I could see him playing cover songs anyways.

I just cannot see Slash agreeing to it. If he did, it would certainly be a colossal climb down to an Axl demand. The guy must really be desperate for a reunion under those circumstances. The only thing I can envision is, a song as part of a 'solo' spot.

If it were ever to happen, I also hope Axl could sing on some of the best Slash, Izzy and Duff tunes as well. Come to think of it, it would have been pretty awesome to hear.

How many songs do we have to work with here? I would agree if it exceeds 30, but I do not believe anyone would want to see Better, Believe In Me or Shuffle it All (and I am a fan of Izzy's material by the way) push out setlist shoe-ins like Civil War, Think About You, Estranged or Out Ta Get Me!

99% of people at a reunion show want the mega songs from Appetite and Illusion. It is that simple. Seeing Slash play This I Love is going to confuse, bore or irritate the crowd. Conversely, the same applies to an Axl singing Beggars and Hangers On.

If we ever see a reunion show, of course 90% (at least) of the setlist would be classic stuff, no doubt.

The rest of the material I mentioned is, after all, their artistic output for the last 20 years. Instead of playing 5 cover songs, I could see them using their own material sprinkled into the setlist. I don't see how Slash would object to playing a Chinese song instead of some cover. If they reunited, I would think they would've put their differences to rest already. Slash did say he liked the album, didn't he?

Of course, there are songs on Chinese that just don't fit Slash's guitar playing. I could see him playing a song like SOD or IRS.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #541 on: May 28, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »

99% of people at a reunion show want the mega songs from Appetite and Illusion. It is that simple. Seeing Slash play This I Love is going to confuse, bore or irritate the crowd.

I concur.  I don't see a reunion crowd going for it.  I see them sitting on their hands or heading to the johns during Chinese Democracy songs if that were to happen.

I agree.

I think its like suggesting that a reunited band would have Slash solo songs in the setlist.  Never going to happen.

Yeah.  When Black Sabbath reunited, they didn't play anything live that wasn't recorded by all four original members, despite the fact that there were a ton of albums recorded with various Black Sabbath configurations over the years.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:03:00 PM by Bridge » Logged
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #542 on: May 28, 2015, 02:56:59 PM »

It's a total bummer this is has been the biggest GNR "news" event of 2015.  Some offhanded comments from people out of the band for 20 years.

Slash said pretty much the same thing to Larry King in 2013:

Slash on Potential Guns N' Roses Reunion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s7mWhpAZAA

Jarmo - You seem to be lightening up on Slash a bit these days. Know something you cannot share here?     Grin

What do you base that on?

Because he was tricked into answering a questions and certain fans love to talk about it?

/jarmo

Slash was tricked into answering?  That in itself raises eyebrows. Cheesy

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #543 on: May 28, 2015, 03:49:05 PM »

It's a total bummer this is has been the biggest GNR "news" event of 2015.  Some offhanded comments from people out of the band for 20 years.

Slash said pretty much the same thing to Larry King in 2013:

Slash on Potential Guns N' Roses Reunion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s7mWhpAZAA

Jarmo - You seem to be lightening up on Slash a bit these days. Know something you cannot share here?     Grin

What do you base that on?

Because he was tricked into answering a questions and certain fans love to talk about it?

/jarmo

Slash was tricked into answering?  That in itself raises eyebrows. Cheesy

The fact that this hasnt been moved to dead horse is a clear indication.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #544 on: May 28, 2015, 03:50:50 PM »

Well I was being nice not to upset any of you.

In other words you could say he could've prevented it by making sure there were no reunion related questions asked.
But maybe if you want to be on a major TV network you have to pay by their rules....

Nobody seems to remember why he was on that show, only what he answered to that question....

A question he's been answering for almost twenty years.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #545 on: May 28, 2015, 03:53:34 PM »

There. I hope this helps with the confusion some of you have been dealing with for days now.

Now you've got one less thing to read into and no need to ask for me to move it. ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #546 on: May 28, 2015, 04:03:52 PM »

There. I hope this helps with the confusion some of you have been dealing with for days now.

Now you've got one less thing to read into and no need to ask for me to move it. ok

/jarmo

Jarmo, You do have to admit though that a thread about Slash being asked about a hypothetical reunion would've been moved alot earlier to dead horse if the band was active.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #547 on: May 28, 2015, 04:26:13 PM »

That was kinda what was explained earlier but still there's plenty of people thinking there's some kind of hidden meaning so there you go.
Moved to avoid confusion.

/jarmo

Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #548 on: May 28, 2015, 04:32:16 PM »

That was kinda what was explained earlier but still there's plenty of people thinking there's some kind of hidden meaning so there you go.
Moved to avoid confusion.

/jarmo

Gotcha!! beer
mortismurphy
« Reply #549 on: May 28, 2015, 04:58:48 PM »

I very seriously doubt Slash or Duff would consider any CD tunes true GNR songs.

I agree. Duff was brought in as a (temporary) replacement in Newgnr. A full blown reunion would entail the dismantling of newgnr. Also there would be an expectation to hear the great songs that a reunited line-up created. Can you imagine the reaction? ''From Hollywood California, Guns N' Roses'', cue Slash playing the Chinese Democracy riff?

Those songs are still a part of GN'R and Axl's legacy. In theory, it's not much different than the current band playing the classic stuff. There are quite a few fans of the band that likes the Chinese material.

To extend the thought a bit, would it be much different for Slash to play a Rolling Stone or AC/DC cover than some songs from Chinese? Because I could see him playing cover songs anyways.

I just cannot see Slash agreeing to it. If he did, it would certainly be a colossal climb down to an Axl demand. The guy must really be desperate for a reunion under those circumstances. The only thing I can envision is, a song as part of a 'solo' spot.

If it were ever to happen, I also hope Axl could sing on some of the best Slash, Izzy and Duff tunes as well. Come to think of it, it would have been pretty awesome to hear.

How many songs do we have to work with here? I would agree if it exceeds 30, but I do not believe anyone would want to see Better, Believe In Me or Shuffle it All (and I am a fan of Izzy's material by the way) push out setlist shoe-ins like Civil War, Think About You, Estranged or Out Ta Get Me!

99% of people at a reunion show want the mega songs from Appetite and Illusion. It is that simple. Seeing Slash play This I Love is going to confuse, bore or irritate the crowd. Conversely, the same applies to an Axl singing Beggars and Hangers On.

If we ever see a reunion show, of course 90% (at least) of the setlist would be classic stuff, no doubt.

The rest of the material I mentioned is, after all, their artistic output for the last 20 years. Instead of playing 5 cover songs, I could see them using their own material sprinkled into the setlist. I don't see how Slash would object to playing a Chinese song instead of some cover. If they reunited, I would think they would've put their differences to rest already. Slash did say he liked the album, didn't he?

Of course, there are songs on Chinese that just don't fit Slash's guitar playing. I could see him playing a song like SOD or IRS.

Of the cover songs, the only two which I could envision going down well with a reunion crowd are KOHD and LALD. The DC covers are rather superfluous for those who follow the new band (''more covers!'') so I could not imagine them going down well with a gigantic reunion crowd. Reunion tours tend to entail nostalgia and re-creating a certain time. And nothing these guys have ever done since 1993 has ever attracted remotely the same acclaim or sales numbers, comparative to events up to 1993; even Libertad and Chinese Democracy pale in comparison. There is nothing much there that screams, ''include me'' (perhaps the closest is, Slither?). People would just see a Democracy or solo song as something annoyingly filling the space where a 1987-91 song could potentially belong. In fairness, if a reunited band recorded an album first before touring, the same logic would apply to 'new material'.

But I might be wrong. There is certainly a partial precedent in Kiss's Psycho Circus tour, during which Ace and Peter played two-three 1980s Kiss tunes (but that was not a reunion tour!). I suppose the most I could see is Slash incorporating an instrumental version of Anastasia into his solo spot, while Axl does a solo rendition of This I Love before November Rain. I could envision something limited, of that nature.
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #550 on: May 28, 2015, 07:36:29 PM »

When Yes got back together with the classic lineup, they still opened with "Rhythm of Love."
Just sayin'
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #551 on: May 28, 2015, 10:55:55 PM »

Jarmo, You do have to admit though that a thread about Slash being asked about a hypothetical reunion would've been moved alot earlier to dead horse if the band was active.

I don't even think its a question.

But, he gave us 28 pages.  Including the last several, which were all reunion, all the time.

Its hard to really say people weren't given a say on the matter.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #552 on: May 29, 2015, 08:44:51 AM »

Axl singing on Anastasia would be sick...

A GNR reunion of any kind is not going to produce this magical reincarnation of Appetite 2

It would just be cool see them play

Unleash the vault of amazing shit that is sitting there.. and then maybe after that, come full circle. No GNR fan of any kind could be upset about that.

That's the end of it for me. Hope to hear some rumblings about something involving Axl soon.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
italian queen
« Reply #553 on: May 29, 2015, 11:27:49 AM »

I dont' think axl would sing Slash's songs and Slash wouldn't play C.D.'s tracks Smiley

maybe just a reunion to play the old songs and to write new material Smiley
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #554 on: May 29, 2015, 03:48:22 PM »

In the totally hypothetical scenario that they AFD5 played together, since some of you think it's out of the question for them to play CD material (not sure if someone like Steven could play on it either), do you feel the same way about UYI material?

Hypothetically speculating without any hidden motives.

/jarmo

Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #555 on: May 29, 2015, 04:04:22 PM »

In the totally hypothetical scenario that they AFD5 played together, since some of you think it's out of the question for them to play CD material (not sure if someone like Steven could play on it either), do you feel the same way about UYI material?

Hypothetically speculating without any hidden motives.

/jarmo

I give Steven Adler more credit than most. I think he could handle the Illusions stuff. Listen to his drumming on Civil War from Farm Aid. Thats one of the more complex songs to play as a drummer because the timing and tempo is a bit all over the place. I dont know if the stuff on CD is necesarily his style.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #556 on: May 29, 2015, 04:23:32 PM »

I know it's not his style. But it seems some use the "it's not recorded by that line up" excuse to dismiss certain material being performed in a specific hypothetical scenario.

If that's the case, shouldn't the same apply to all material?

/jarmo

Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #557 on: May 29, 2015, 04:35:51 PM »

I know it's not his style. But it seems some use the "it's not recorded by that line up" excuse to dismiss certain material being performed in a specific hypothetical scenario.

If that's the case, shouldn't the same apply to all material?

/jarmo

I think there's a difference in terms of scenarios. The newer line-ups came into an existing band with library of classic material. So they were kind of expected to play the hits. The GNR brand had a huge following worldwide and it's due in part to what the originals created.
Now, would it be nice if they played some of the stuff on CD? Yes. Do they have to? No.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #558 on: May 29, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »

I'm not sure you understood. Do you hear November Rain with Steven on drums in your dreams when you dream of that hypothetical show? Smiley

I'm not saying you personally have to answer, it's a general discussion.

/jarmo

Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #559 on: May 29, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »

I'm not sure you understood. Do you hear November Rain with Steven on drums in your dreams when you dream of that hypothetical show? Smiley

I'm not saying you personally have to answer, it's a general discussion.

/jarmo

No...totally Matt Sorum's song.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: