Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:54:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup  (Read 115914 times)
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2015, 08:25:18 PM »

Well I'll said it before and I'll say it again. I would love to see the classic lineup reunite!!! Nothing will ever beat the originals. I'm neutral in this whole debate about Axl v Slash. Both were and still are my childhood idols.

For anyone going to the show tonight please report back. I came close to buying a ticket. Unfortunately Terminal 5 is in the middle of no where and I would be concerned about getting back to NJ. Closest subway is too far to walk and it would be a nightmare trying to hail a cab. Also, I didn't want to be in pain with my feet. 
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2015, 11:07:52 PM »

Two reasons I'm not pulling for a Reunion:
1-I like the current GNR..
2-the Bandwagon Effect....
  -I remember how difficult it was when KISS Reunited in the 1990's.....
I don't often feel entitled, but when I support a band, as I have with GNR, through thick N' thin I should get preferential treatment over a fly bye nighter...
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2015, 03:44:44 AM »

I feel as though there has been a reconciliation of some kind. Perhaps brought on by Duffs return last year. Normally there is no smoke without fire. There were reports that Axl talked about a reunion at the Vegas residency last year (this came from AEG chief exec I believe) that coupled with Slash's new positive stance.

Also I was so surprised to see that online betting game being advertised using the old bands image (Slash very much included). This has got to be evidence that the situation is changeling at least from a business sense.

Now it could be Axl is coming to a compromise with the label ie you rub my back and release my album properly I'll allow you to cash in on the old image. Everyone is a winner with this. If Slash is making more money that is probably a good reason to start playing "nice".

This is all speculation on my part & for the record I'd rather have a new album than a reunion.
I am one of those lucky fans who really enjoys supporting all the classic line up in their respective projects.
At the moment we've got GN'R, Slash & Myles, loaded, Adler, Walking Papers & only this week an EP with Izzy & Duff. It's actually a pretty good way to see things.
Gibbo27
Opening Act

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2015, 06:14:24 AM »

I want that to happen so I can see tools like jarmo eat cake. Like he used to love VR - then when things got like they are he said that he was young and understands slash sucks now. Can't wait to read his posts about slash once Axl loves him again. be interesting  Grin
suicide
VIP

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2015, 06:41:38 AM »

I say they do it and I'll be there  ok

We'll all be there Oldfan. And to all those opposed... hmm... well ...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2015, 07:16:05 AM »

I want that to happen so I can see tools like jarmo eat cake. Like he used to love VR - then when things got like they are he said that he was young and understands slash sucks now. Can't wait to read his posts about slash once Axl loves him again. be interesting  Grin

Awww.

Yeah, VR was exciting at first. It wore off quite fast. Couldn't stand the singer. Never been a fan. Also not a fan of alternative history telling.

Unlike people like you, I stand for what I say. I don't have any problems with it. Slash's solo albums do nothing for me. I remember how excited I was when he released his first Snakepit album. I listened to it quite a lot. Then once I stopped and went back to it, I was like "Huh?". Same with VR.

I've been accused of all kinds of shit by morons who like to think they know. I never disrespected the old band or their music. That's just fucking stupid to assume that I'd suddenly stop liking the music that made me a fan. But some people do that. They think they know. "Oooh, you don't like his book or his solo albums so it must mean you hate AFD!". Right. Logic For Dummies.

Haha.

If it ever happens all the turncoats will be back claiming they always supported Axl. But most of us know the truth.

Do you know the difference between you and a Leatherman? A Leatherman is a useful tool. Cheesy

/jarmo
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:23:33 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2015, 07:42:59 AM »

If Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy (or Fortus if Izzy wants to wander the earth like Kane from Kung Fu) reunite (with Frank or Matt or whomever on drums)... I'd be happy (I don't think Steven could do it)

If Axl releases a CD follow up album and takes a few years off... I'd be happy

If Axl back fills Ron, tours for another year or two... then addresses a follow up... I'd be happy

At the end of the day I am a fan of the original members of the band. I have gotten enjoyment out of most of their side/solo projects and certainly have enjoyed the post 2000 lineups. However outside of a few staples I haven't really attached myself to any of the post 2000 'employees' because Axl has proven over the last 15 or so years that he can replace Bucket, Tobias, Fink, Brain, and even in small stints Tommy without really skipping a beat. I feel (IMO) that my ability to ride the waves of departures and additions to the newer lineups show me that I am an Axl fan... So if he continues down a hired guns path, so be it... If they reunite for a show, a tour, or an album... great.

I'm not going to really spend a lot of energy hoping it goes one way or the other.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2015, 07:55:55 AM »

This makes me wonder. All the ones "needing" a reunion.

We're talking hypothetical scenarios here now.

So imagine it happened. A show, or a tour. And then that was it.
What would these people "need" next? Does anybody think they'd just be happy and feel their lives were complete?

If they had played together at the RNRHOF. Would it have stopped there?

I think, as usual, that it's not gonna be enough..... One "demand" is always followed by another.
Like when there's a campaign to get GN'R to play somewhere, and then a show or shows are announced, so the next camping starts for them to play certain material or to have a certain opening act.... Funny how that works.  Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2015, 08:06:17 AM »

In his defense, the show he was on was Live television, so he may have made the request beforehand and then blindsided with the question.

But the fact that different media outlets are running with it tells you the relevance of the old band.

I'm aware that it was on a big network and that might explain the less controlled situation from his part. But, nobody can be surprised at how it turned out.

Also, where did I say what you claimed I said? I'm still waiting for your answer to that.
I have a bit of a problem with people who tell me I said something that I didn't. I stand for what I say, I won't stand for what you think I said, or accuse me of saying.

Relevance? Hard to tell if it's relevance or just wanting something you don't have. The music itself is timeless. So that's not exactly the issue. It's always been relevant.
It's not about the music, it's about the reunion talk. Chances are, nothing will change regarding the way you look at (or hear) the music.

/jarmo

What did I claim you said? I dont think i claimed you said anything? The was it Slash's fault question was me playing devils advicate, not me claiming you were implying that.

The music is why that particular lineup will always be relevant and why people will always want what they cannot have (reunion).
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2015, 08:10:29 AM »

If Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy (or Fortus if Izzy wants to wander the earth like Kane from Kung Fu) reunite (with Frank or Matt or whomever on drums)... I'd be happy (I don't think Steven could do it)

If Axl releases a CD follow up album and takes a few years off... I'd be happy

If Axl back fills Ron, tours for another year or two... then addresses a follow up... I'd be happy

At the end of the day I am a fan of the original members of the band. I have gotten enjoyment out of most of their side/solo projects and certainly have enjoyed the post 2000 lineups. However outside of a few staples I haven't really attached myself to any of the post 2000 'employees' because Axl has proven over the last 15 or so years that he can replace Bucket, Tobias, Fink, Brain, and even in small stints Tommy without really skipping a beat. I feel (IMO) that my ability to ride the waves of departures and additions to the newer lineups show me that I am an Axl fan... So if he continues down a hired guns path, so be it... If they reunite for a show, a tour, or an album... great.

I'm not going to really spend a lot of energy hoping it goes one way or the other.

Ditto.

And I think that list you provide is in inverse order of probability...with the last being the most likely, and the first being least likely.

Honestly, this will probably be my only comment on this thread..because, quite frankly, it's not an interesting conversation.  Not to me. It's the same conversation, the same debate points, the same WORDS that have been said for about 20 years, now.

The only difference...and IMHO it's a very minor one...is that Slash has said "never say never".  Nothing else in any of what he's said, to me, paints a different picture than the one that had been painted yesterday.  He's said similar things about being "over" his animosity toward Axl.  He's made some pretty widely reported attempts (some he denies, some he doesn't) to reconnect with Axl.  NOTHING CHANGED except that one line.

Which, honestly, I think  you could have surmised was his position by some of the other things he's said and done over the past few years.

So...I'll leave this one to the rest of you, and exit, stage left.  Enjoy!

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2015, 08:12:13 AM »

This makes me wonder. All the ones "needing" a reunion.

We're talking hypothetical scenarios here now.

So imagine it happened. A show, or a tour. And then that was it.
What would these people "need" next? Does anybody think they'd just be happy and feel their lives were complete?

If they had played together at the RNRHOF. Would it have stopped there?

I think, as usual, that it's not gonna be enough..... One "demand" is always followed by another.
Like when there's a campaign to get GN'R to play somewhere, and then a show or shows are announced, so the next camping starts for them to play certain material or to have a certain opening act.... Funny how that works.  Smiley

/jarmo

Let me tackle this one...As someone in a band..I want the people who follow us to want more. I dont want them to be content. They allow us to do something we love for a living. So I dont view it as them demanding things from us. I view it as them being interested. Once they lose interest its over.

The fact that GNR has been able to have and enjoy this level of support and demand for as long as they have is a testament to the body of work that they produced.
nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2015, 08:25:50 AM »

I'll have to admit that all this talk is the bug or the cancer if you may of this fucking band.
All of us grew up with the original but what would really a reunion do ? One show ? one tour ? then what ?
I'd be more excited if Axl releases the follow-up to Chinese Democracy than anything.Since the chance to perform at the hall of fame went by,and that would serve as the tombstone to all of this,no-one wants to see a reunion.Even those who say they do,re-think it.

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2015, 08:45:54 AM »

Ditto.

And I think that list you provide is in inverse order of probability...with the last being the most likely, and the first being least likely.

The only reason I posted it in the order I did is due to the topic. I would agree (even with the time heals all wounds sentiment) that a full scale reunion is very unlikely. My preference would be to work on replacing Ron (if that is required) then touring and/or getting the follow up to CD in everyone's hands.

IF (and that is a big if) the past animosity between Axl and Slash gets swept under the rug, then maybe some day we will see Slash walk out on stage and do a few songs like Izzy or Duff (before he started with full show fill ins), I don't really think it would ever be more than that.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2015, 09:00:07 AM »

Only certain fans would make a statement such as "reunion is the only way to be relevant".

Honest?  Observant?  Conscious?

Like I said, if Axl hadn't kept going, there's be way less GN'R press over the years. Whether or not you think that's relevant is irrelevant. That kept GN'R in the spotlight more than a dormant band would have done.

I think this point would absolutely be relevant.  If it were at all accurate, which its not.

Where has all this press been?  "In the spotlight"?  Where are you living?  No one talks about the current band but we diehards. 

The biggest bit of press they have gotten in this time period was the Hall Of Fame.  Which was going to happen even if Axl moved to the South Pole 20 years ago.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2015, 09:02:37 AM »

There have been little hints and things that have made people believe there has been a cooling of the hatred.

Combined with GNR's current status kinda up in the air and Duff's emergence in the GNR sphere... it just makes for good water cooler talk.

I'd have to see it to believe it. Even if Axl woke up and realized oh man ... I actually love Slash... I don't think he would push his material or people to the side.

As for last night's show... Slash was great... was about 10 feet from him the whole show. Myles, IMO actually does an amazing job covering Double Talkin Jive and You Could Be Mine considering that Axl is such a special voice.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2015, 09:04:18 AM »

I'll have to admit that all this talk is the bug or the cancer if you may of this fucking band.
All of us grew up with the original but what would really a reunion do ? One show ? one tour ? then what ?
I'd be more excited if Axl releases the follow-up to Chinese Democracy than anything.Since the chance to perform at the hall of fame went by,and that would serve as the tombstone to all of this,no-one wants to see a reunion.Even those who say they do,re-think it.

What a reunion would do would be to kill any incarnation of the band that is not the one everyone knows.

Why do you think Axl didn't go to the HOF?  Because the second he steps back on stage with the classic band, you can't go back.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2015, 09:05:48 AM »

What a reunion would do would be to kill any incarnation of the band that is not the one everyone knows.

Why do you think Axl didn't go to the HOF?  Because the second he steps back on stage with the classic band, you can't go back.

Which unfortunately... is an indictment of the current band 's "relevance".

This bands history is just so dramatic isn't it?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2015, 09:07:21 AM »

There have been little hints and things that have made people believe there has been a cooling of the hatred.

Combined with GNR's current status kinda up in the air and Duff's emergence in the GNR sphere... it just makes for good water cooler talk.

Which is all this is.  

I don't get why people get so offended and fired up about it.  Is there some other new, exciting thing with the current line-up we are neglecting by shooting the shit in this one thread?

Its not like the current band has a new album out or is even on tour.  We don't even know who is in the current band, for god's sake.  Nothing is being shoved to the back burner by us taking an afternoon or two to kick this around.

The best way to stop rehashing is to give people something new to talk about.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2015, 09:07:56 AM »

I think this point would absolutely be relevant.  If it were at all accurate, which its not.

Where has all this press been?  "In the spotlight"?  Where are you living?  No one talks about the current band but we diehards. 

The biggest bit of press they have gotten in this time period was the Hall Of Fame.  Which was going to happen even if Axl moved to the South Pole 20 years ago.

I'm gonna reneg a bit on the "no more comments" thing to weigh in on this one thing, because it seemingly gets mentioned, a lot.

That's just not true.

I see an article almost ever other week about GnR.  That new unauthorized release. Axl's take on the May-Pac fight. The "new classic album" article that's out. An old friend can make a reunion. This is why Slash left GnR and I CAN get a reunion.

There is a constant flow of articles going on, covering both past and present. Old and new.  And when one outlet publishes something, others seem to repeat/spread it.  It's not just one voice in the lonely darkness.

"Spotlight" might be strong, maybe.

But so is the assertion that "only the die hards" are talking about GnR.  Because, if that were true, those articles would dry up....because media sites aren't going to continue to publish material that don't get web hits and drive traffic.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2015, 09:10:39 AM »

Which unfortunately... is an indictment of the current band 's "relevance".

Exactly right.

I'm right with the people that say this is a pipe dream anyway.  100% agreed.  But I'm not with people that can't be honest about what it would mean if it did somehow happen.

The other 2 guys in KISS at the time of that MTV Unplugged said that the second those original guys came out on stage, they knew they were done.  This is the same thing.  You can't possibly give people Slash and Duff and then say...hey that was fun, but now we are going to back to a bunch of guys most of you still can't pick out of a line-up.

Doesn't work.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: