Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 11:33:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228063 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can we put the name issue to bed...the man's words
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can we put the name issue to bed...the man's words  (Read 33307 times)
mortismurphy
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2015, 12:33:22 AM »

VR wasn't close to an arena band. When I saw them in the ATL, maybe 4000 people were there and Alice in Chains opened.

Arena band in my neck of the woods,

SECC Glasgow
Manchester Evening News Arena
Newcastle Metro Arena
Birmingham National Indoor Arena

Slash is no longer playing this sized venue in the UK.
mortismurphy
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2015, 12:40:01 AM »

Most people who are in the music business need to think about finances as well. It's part of that whole thing.

But then, when you sacrifice your art (which ever field it is in, music, film, etc etc.) for money, you might get called out on it.

For some, Slash has done this more than once, and they comment on it. That's something you have to accept if you choose to admit wanting to save money and then pointing out the guitars don't sound as good as you had hoped, or if you choose to perform with the Black Eyed Peas... Wink

Slash walked away from the cash cow, but he?d return because he?s a money grubbing whore.

Wasn't he upset about the spending in GN'R?

/jarmo

He was upset about cash basically being pissed away on the after show parties. About some of those collaborations also, just as many of them could not have any financial incentive. Slash surely could not have expected a financial windfall from playing Spinal Tap, Mike Monroe or Doro?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2015, 05:38:59 AM »

Financial? You think he did it for free?  Tongue

Also, it's about building the brand.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2015, 08:48:41 AM »

I still fail to see how this differs from any other entertainer.
Most people, regardless of profession, are getting something in return for any type of service rendered.

Do you think Axl is out there playing all these concerts (when he?s on record as saying he doesn?t enjoy performing) out of the goodness of his heart?
No. We see Axl when Axl is being paid to be seen. Might even play your wedding if you've got a few million burning a hole in your pocket.
It?s the way of the world.

There are very few, if any exceptions. Maybe Cat Stevens..
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2015, 10:00:49 AM »

Point taken... Tongue

but, Cat Stevens? nice.  hihi

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »

Most people who are in the music business need to think about finances as well. It's part of that whole thing.

But then, when you sacrifice your art (which ever field it is in, music, film, etc etc.) for money, you might get called out on it.

For some, Slash has done this more than once, and they comment on it. That's something you have to accept if you choose to admit wanting to save money and then pointing out the guitars don't sound as good as you had hoped, or if you choose to perform with the Black Eyed Peas... Wink

Slash walked away from the cash cow, but he?d return because he?s a money grubbing whore.

/jarmo

Didn't you just say earlier that Slash admitted the guitars on the albums suffered due to the studio he recorded in that was his original idea?  He admitted he made a mistake and I am sure he learned from it. 

I have said for years now that I don't understand this whole 'sell-out' idea.  If Slash wants to play another Super Bowl with Fergie then more power to him.  If Axl wants to do another Budweiser commercial for the next World Cup, great, go for it buddy.  In the end its their lives and they can do what they want.  In my personal life, I try to be as productive as possible every waking moment.  I don't really have 'down time' where I don't have something planned.  I might spend my time doing some stupid shit (and I certainly have done that), but at least I can learn from it and grow as a person.  Axl, Slash, Duff, whoever are going to continue doing their thing.  If we are lucky as fans that means more music/touring/books or whatever keeps them in the public view.  That doesn't mean it's always going to be perfect and shielded from criticism, but can't we just be happy in general that the artists who we all admired at least at some point are continuing to share their talents with us? 
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2015, 11:57:25 AM »

Am I missing something here??

I thought the point of the original post was a one off type thing.

Seriously the name issue???   People actually want to get there thoughts out over this issue???  Over 20 years later..................

Stick it!!!!!!!!

Can whoever is forcing Baconman to respond to these topics he clearly does not care for, kindly please knock it off?

Its really not fair.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2015, 11:58:55 AM »

He was upset about cash basically being pissed away on the after show parties. About some of those collaborations also, just as many of them could not have any financial incentive. Slash surely could not have expected a financial windfall from playing Spinal Tap, Mike Monroe or Doro?

Late fees for missed curfews, paying the crew overtime, etc.  All that shit does add up.

This isn't to say that the band was clipping coupons in the their prime, but you really can't justify these expenses.  Really just throwing money away.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2015, 12:05:56 PM »

/jarmo

Didn't you just say earlier that Slash admitted the guitars on the albums suffered due to the studio he recorded in that was his original idea?  He admitted he made a mistake and I am sure he learned from it. 

I have said for years now that I don't understand this whole 'sell-out' idea.  If Slash wants to play another Super Bowl with Fergie then more power to him.  If Axl wants to do another Budweiser commercial for the next World Cup, great, go for it buddy.  In the end its their lives and they can do what they want.  In my personal life, I try to be as productive as possible every waking moment.  I don't really have 'down time' where I don't have something planned.  I might spend my time doing some stupid shit (and I certainly have done that), but at least I can learn from it and grow as a person.  Axl, Slash, Duff, whoever are going to continue doing their thing.  If we are lucky as fans that means more music/touring/books or whatever keeps them in the public view.  That doesn't mean it's always going to be perfect and shielded from criticism, but can't we just be happy in general that the artists who we all admired at least at some point are continuing to share their talents with us? 

You just have to accept the condemn one/condone the other philosophy that many people share here.  This is a pro-Axl site?so his actions are looked upon in the truest of light and Slash?s actions not so much.  If Slash played a wedding could you imagine the shit he?d get here?  It doesn?t have to be mutually exclusive.  You can be a fan of Axl while at the same time appreciate Slash and his post-Guns career.  That doesn?t mean you have to like GnR songs sung by Myles (only Axl?s voice can do those songs justice, IMO) but Christ people, we?re almost 20 years from when Slash left?do we still need the Axl rules/Slash drools posts?  Talk about a dead horse?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2015, 12:37:29 PM »

Yes I did say it. And I also said people will notice and comment on it.

I also should've said that I'm expecting the Slash Defense Force to be out in full effect claiming it's not a big deal. Nobody said it was a big deal, nobody claimed he's not allowed to "whore himself out". It's his choice.

But when your image is so much about being cool, you have to be careful. Saving money and making money can be very cool. But at some point if you step over that fine line, you'll be labeled a sell out.

I still fail to see how this differs from any other entertainer.
Most people, regardless of profession, are getting something in return for any type of service rendered.

Not everybody built their image around being the "cool guy in a top hat".

If you market something one way and act in another way, some will notice. Slash went from playing with Iggy Pop, Lenny Kravitz, Michael Jackson to playing with The Black Eyed Peas and being on various TV shows that weren't necessarily his "target" audience.

Some GN'R fans don't agree with all the decisions he's made, just like many don't agree with Axl's decisions. But they still choose to come to a GN'R site to point it out...

/jarmo

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:39:08 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »

You just have to accept the condemn one/condone the other philosophy that many people share here.  This is a pro-Axl site?so his actions are looked upon in the truest of light and Slash?s actions not so much.  If Slash played a wedding could you imagine the shit he?d get here?  It doesn?t have to be mutually exclusive.  You can be a fan of Axl while at the same time appreciate Slash and his post-Guns career.  That doesn?t mean you have to like GnR songs sung by Myles (only Axl?s voice can do those songs justice, IMO) but Christ people, we?re almost 20 years from when Slash left?do we still need the Axl rules/Slash drools posts?  Talk about a dead horse?

Yeah, I think its crazy.  I never understood it.  Even when the split was fresh.

This is our favorite band of all time.  These were two major figures in the success of the band's prime.

How can you suddenly discard one like he was never anything, just because the other one got mad at him?  Their issues are their own.  The fans don't need to take sides.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2015, 01:46:19 PM »

Sure, everyone has the right to judge another person's choice in hats, or bicycle shorts.
Luckily we can listen to their music from afar, and don?t have to be seen in public with them.

Playing with a range of musicians from the Godfather of punk to the King of Pop shows maybe he?s not concerned about the sellout police.
Not unlike Axl, or any other artist, he probably doesn?t want to be pigeonholed, or told who is socially acceptable to associate himself with.
Maybe he doesn?t have a specific target audience.

I remember he took a lot of heat for playing with MJ when it happened.
I?m sure he doesn?t regret it even though it meant losing a few cool kid?s endorsements.
Especially whereas he wouldn?t have that option today.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2015, 03:21:21 PM »

I guess we live in a world where being out there doing things is uncool, but holing up in your mansion for the better part of a decade is the height of nobility?

They are both living their lives.  How cool or uncool one finds each path is the very definition of subjective.

slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2015, 04:27:33 PM »

I never really got the issue about the name thing.

Stephen was fired, okay.

Izzy quit. He comes back occasionally to play shows, so he must be okay with the current situation.

Slash quit.

Duff quit, read his book, he said he quit. He comes back every once in a while to play shows, so apparently he's on good terms with it.

So, yeah of course we, as fans, would all love to hear a new GNR album every year, but that?s not what?s going to happen. We may never get another album, and we?ll have to be okay with that.

Certainly, if Slash had retained the name, we?d get the two Snakepit albums branded as GNR. While they had their charms, they weren?t all that great. If the name had remained "only these guys together can use it," we wouldn't have even got CD.

Personally, I'd love to hear more stuff from the current lineup, Bumblefumble or not.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2015, 04:30:03 PM »

Sure, everyone has the right to judge another person's choice in hats, or bicycle shorts.

As soon as someone mentions him doing something bad, it's met with "but Axl...".
Kinda weak "defense".  hihi

The point I was trying to illustrate earlier was that he went from playing with people who were considered either icons, legends or newcomers (Lenny Kravitz for example) to playing with anybody. I hope you enjoyed that Insane Clown Posse track or the Black Eyed Peas collaborations.  ok

Personally, I'd love to hear more stuff from the current lineup, Bumblefumble or not.

Good pints, and I agree with this.  ok

/jarmo

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2015, 04:44:27 PM »

As soon as someone mentions him doing something bad, it's met with "but Axl...".
Kinda weak "defense".  hihi

The point I was trying to illustrate earlier was that he went from playing with people who were considered either icons, legends or newcomers (Lenny Kravitz for example) to playing with anybody. I hope you enjoyed that Insane Clown Posse track or the Black Eyed Peas collaborations.  ok

Good pints, and I agree with this.  ok

/jarmo

It was actually a lighthearted stab at both Axl, and Slash?s attire.

Slash still plays with icons, and some not so iconic figures. Hasn?t really changed.
I can dig me some Lenny Kravitz, but he never threatened to be anything special.

ICP were absolute nobodies when he played with them.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2015, 05:24:29 PM »

just to change directions, for the record, I am an old school gunner....would take Slash or Izzy back in a second (no disrespect to Richard because, to me, he is a hell of a player). I am on the fence with Duff only because I am a big Tommy fan as well....they are both great imo. Personally, I wish we could have them all. Bucket, Robin, Richard, Brain, Matt, etc and do a Gnr Rock and Roll Circus. Ax needs to think outside the box...a Gnr festival of all current and former members playing solo spots, Gnr spots...mixing matching...just jamming all kinds of shit....wrong thread!  rofl

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2015, 05:51:58 PM »

Certainly, if Slash had retained the name, we?d get the two Snakepit albums branded as GNR. While they had their charms, they weren?t all that great. If the name had remained "only these guys together can use it," we wouldn't have even got CD.

Not a doubt in my mind that "Velvet Revolver" would have been called "Guns N' Roses" if he legally could.  Why the hell not?  It made great business sense.  Its the Van Halen model.  Toss out the problem lead singer, and rock on with a new one.  Van Halen made a shit ton of money for 10-15 years doing things that way.

I have never subscribed to the theory "oh, Slash would never have done that, out of respect".  Yeah?  Bullshit.  That's easy to say when he literally couldn't do it if he wanted to because of the dumbass deal he signed.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »

just to change directions, for the record, I am an old school gunner....would take Slash or Izzy back in a second (no disrespect to Richard because, to me, he is a hell of a player). I am on the fence with Duff only because I am a big Tommy fan as well....they are both great imo. Personally, I wish we could have them all. Bucket, Robin, Richard, Brain, Matt, etc and do a Gnr Rock and Roll Circus. Ax needs to think outside the box...a Gnr festival of all current and former members playing solo spots, Gnr spots...mixing matching...just jamming all kinds of shit....wrong thread!  rofl

I have never been a reunion guy because its a pipe dream.

But that was also rooted in the (now seen to be foolish, in my opinion) belief Axl was real interested in doing new stuff with his new band. 

Yet as I'm watching residencies built around 25 year old albums, and setlists with more and more older songs in there...at that point, shit, why not get the real band?

I still hold out the slimmest of vain hopes Axl has one more run in him with the new band.  I still take Axl at his word in that interview last year, until he proves otherwise.

Fingers crossed.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »

It was actually a lighthearted stab at both Axl, and Slash?s attire.

Wasn't necessarily aimed at you.

ICP were absolute nobodies when he played with them.

And after they were international superstars? Wink

/jarmo

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: