Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:39:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Stipulations IF a Reunion were to happen?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stipulations IF a Reunion were to happen?  (Read 15929 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 10:25:03 AM »

I like the comment Noel Gallagher gives about a Oasis reunion.

When asked about Oasis fans that have never been given a chance to see the original line up.

Who cares...  The Beetles where his favorite band and he never got a chance to see them...
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 10:38:28 AM »

When asked about Oasis fans that have never been given a chance to see the original line up.

Who cares...  The Beetles where his favorite band and he never got a chance to see them...

Yea, but Noel didn?t dissolve Oasis then name his new project Oasis, though.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 11:04:41 AM »

The flip side of the coin would say that other band members abandoned Axl and he soldiered on to carry on with what he created. It's a matter of perception. Just saying.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »

The flip side of the coin would say that other band members abandoned Axl and he soldiered on to carry on with what he created. It's a matter of perception. Just saying.

I think its more of a one sided coin

Wasn't it Axl who dissolved the Guns partnership, taking the name, then trying to have Slash and Duff as contracted employess?
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »

You?d have to edit that to say ?soldiered on to carry on with what THEY created?, but even then, I?m not buying it.

How many people have to leave before people say, hmmm maybe it wasn't all Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Matt, Robin, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Tobias, Freese, Niven, Youth, Moby, Clink, Baker, Beavan, Cadieux, Mercuriadis, Azoff and whomever else?s fault that Axl can?t seem to get out of his own way.

Abandoned seems a touch dramatic. I think it was more a case of people seeing the writing on the wall. Nothing was getting done, and not many musicians are going to be satisfied to tour their sole album of 2 decades.

But even if you wanted to look past the mountain of people that have left, and think it was their fault things weren?t working(and I?m not saying they didn?t have blood on their hands), it wouldn?t change the fact that he legally dissolved Guns, and created a new project with the same name. New band, in just about every sense of the word, same name. New players, same problems. Hard to miss the pattern.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 11:47:30 AM »

Wasn't it Axl who dissolved the Guns partnership, taking the name, then trying to have Slash and Duff as contracted employess?

Yep.

But the spin that Axl, (and by proxy, some of his more ardent supporters) is that he was only trying to protect himself.

Because they tried to fire him before, that time...in 1987.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 11:48:31 AM »

THAT'S CORRECT.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »

How many people have to leave before people say, hmmm maybe it wasn't all Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Matt, Robin, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Tobias, Freese, Niven, Youth, Moby, Clink, Baker, Beavan, Cadieux, Mercuriadis, Azoff and whomever else?s fault that Axl can?t seem to get out of his own way.

One would think, yes.

Abandoned seems a touch dramatic. I think it was more a case of people seeing the writing on the wall. Nothing was getting done, and not many musicians are going to be satisfied to tour their sole album of 2 decades.

But even if you wanted to look past the mountain of people that have left, and think it was their fault things weren?t working(and I?m not saying they didn?t have blood on their hands), it wouldn?t change the fact that he legally dissolved Guns, and created a new project with the same name. New band, in just about every sense of the word, same name. New players, same problems. Hard to miss the pattern.

Yep.  Seems rather academic, no?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 04:49:42 PM »

Axl didn't force them out though. They left on their own accord. They had their reasons obviously, but once they left Axl tried to carry on as best he could. The original statement made it sound like Axl fired everyone and decided to carry on with replacements. I don't think he really wanted them to leave. Obviously he wanted things on his terms. Some people could look at that as shady, others could say it's good business.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2015, 05:06:28 PM »

I don't think he really wanted them to leave. Obviously he wanted things on his terms. Some people could look at that as shady, others could say it's good business.

Yeah, but its a tough sell to guys who have been your equal partners since day one.

Would you roll with that, in their spot?

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 10:54:03 PM »

I don't think he really wanted them to leave. Obviously he wanted things on his terms. Some people could look at that as shady, others could say it's good business.

Yeah, but its a tough sell to guys who have been your equal partners since day one.

Regardless, it's the choice they made. Maybe they thought Axl would back down and plead them to come back as equal partners. Seems to me that Axl isn't one you'd want to challenge, or one who admits fault easily.

Money, fame, and success change things. Some bands are able to find their way through and stick together. Many don't. Let's not forget the state that Duff and Slash were in back then either. The way they were going, they weren't long for surviving within the band as it was. They made magic together. There's no denying that. Right place, right time. But it just wasn't meant to last. It's unfortunate things got so ugly and the lack of progress that's been made under the GNR banner since. But that's just the way it is. Thankfully, they are all healthy and still "active" in varying degrees obviously.  ok
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:56:02 PM by faldor » Logged

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 12:00:52 PM »

Regardless, it's the choice they made. Maybe they thought Axl would back down and plead them to come back as equal partners. Seems to me that Axl isn't one you'd want to challenge, or one who admits fault easily.

Money, fame, and success change things. Some bands are able to find their way through and stick together. Many don't. Let's not forget the state that Duff and Slash were in back then either. The way they were going, they weren't long for surviving within the band as it was. They made magic together. There's no denying that. Right place, right time. But it just wasn't meant to last. It's unfortunate things got so ugly and the lack of progress that's been made under the GNR banner since. But that's just the way it is. Thankfully, they are all healthy and still "active" in varying degrees obviously.  ok

I agree overall with the exception of Slash and Duff thinking Axl would eventually back down.
I get the impression that they knew that wasn?t going to happen. They had hoped for a compromise for some time, but by the time they left, they were beaten up, over it, and not looking back.
They didn?t see Axl coming around, and were proven to be more right than I?d bet even they anticipated.
It?s a pattern that has repeated itself many times. Members leave, and become productive again, while Axl sits idle.

Even from a strictly business stand point, I?m not sure Axl made the right call.
Sure, he has the control he wanted, but with it he?s transformed the biggest band on the planet into an afterthought.
Opportunities are still and will always be there, but his actions and more so inactions over the years have taken a toll on the brand.
Which is all GN?R is at this point. It ceased being a creative entity some time ago, and the brand becomes less potent with each passing day on inactivity.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »

Even from a strictly business stand point, I?m not sure Axl made the right call.
Sure, he has the control he wanted, but with it he?s transformed the biggest band on the planet into an afterthought.
Opportunities are still and will always be there, but his actions and more so inactions over the years have taken a toll on the brand.
Which is all GN?R is at this point. It ceased being a creative entity some time ago, and the brand becomes less potent with each passing day on inactivity.

What was Sorum's quote?  He could take the ball and run with or, or he could drop the ball...and he dropped the ball.

That's how I see it.  He wrested away all control over everything.  At the time, we all thought it was to do something radically different and his own way.  Even if that crashed and burned, you could say he tried.

He never really tried.  He went though all of this to get control and then sat on his hands.  That's the killer in all of this.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2015, 04:13:46 PM »

What was Sorum's quote?  He could take the ball and run with or, or he could drop the ball...and he dropped the ball.

That's how I see it.  He wrested away all control over everything.  At the time, we all thought it was to do something radically different and his own way.  Even if that crashed and burned, you could say he tried.

He never really tried.  He went though all of this to get control and then sat on his hands.  That's the killer in all of this.
I think he did try pretty hard initially, once he got the wheels in motion at the turn of the century. Maybe he found out just how hard it was going to be and it zapped the energy and motivation out of him. Maybe he felt like he was fighting an uphill battle, and since then he's showed sporadic spurts of forward progress. He really did take on a lot with retaining the name. Public perception was against him for breaking up an all time great band in their prime. People don't get over that very easily. It's easy to say, "why doesn't he just release music?" Or "he's wasting years of his life being inactive". While that may be true, we don't know what he's gone through behind the scenes. I can't imagine it's been easy. Could another man have handled it differently? Better? Or was this destined to unfold in the manner that it has?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »

I think he did try pretty hard initially, once he got the wheels in motion at the turn of the century. Maybe he found out just how hard it was going to be and it zapped the energy and motivation out of him.

I agree.

I think the disastrous MTV VMAs and the problem plagued U.S. tour really took a toll.  Shock to the system.

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »

I think the disastrous MTV VMAs and the problem plagued U.S. tour really took a toll.  Shock to the system.

Yep, watching Axl blow up badly on MTV, run around out of breath, and barely able to sing during the 2002 VMAs made me wish I hadn't bought a ticket for the late 2002 tour, but then the show I would've attended got canceled anyway.  So it worked out for me.... just not so much for Axl.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2015, 08:01:55 PM »

Yep, watching Axl blow up badly on MTV, run around out of breath, and barely able to sing during the 2002 VMAs made me wish I hadn't bought a ticket for the late 2002 tour, but then the show I would've attended got canceled anyway.  So it worked out for me.... just not so much for Axl.

Hindsight is always 20/20, obviously.

But, in retrospect, the booking on the U.S. tour that year was probably a little ambitious.  They had a ton of unsold seats all over.  That had to be deflating.

20,000 seat arenas Axl played in his prime as the biggest rock band in the world at the time, but 10 years later with a totally new band, no new material...that's a tough ask.

Bums me out because I think that 2006 tour is awesome.  I wish like hell that was his first impression back in front of folks.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2015, 08:08:38 PM »

But, in retrospect, the booking on the U.S. tour that year was probably a little ambitious.  They had a ton of unsold seats all over.  That had to be deflating.

20,000 seat arenas Axl played in his prime as the biggest rock band in the world at the time, but 10 years later with a totally new band, no new material...that's a tough ask.

Bums me out because I think that 2006 tour is awesome.  I wish like hell that was his first impression back in front of folks.

I agree. If 2006 was the first the world saw of the new band then the response would have been a lot better, Axl was ridiculous on that tour... So good. If they had released the record during that tour , it could have been real big ..

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2015, 01:59:33 AM »

I agree. If 2006 was the first the world saw of the new band then the response would have been a lot better, Axl was ridiculous on that tour... So good. If they had released the record during that tour , it could have been real big ..

Only thing ridiculous are little fanboys calling Axl ridiculous.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2015, 03:50:32 AM »

Only thing ridiculous are little fanboys calling Axl ridiculous.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm saying how great the performances were during that run...

Why do you insist on ruining every single discussion here? We should all learn to use the report button on you. You take issue with everything and try to insult everybody after every post that isn't to ur liking. If you are going to be obnoxious you should at least try to be amusing about it , but you aren't.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: