Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:25:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227771 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Donald Trump & 2016 Election
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 194 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Donald Trump & 2016 Election  (Read 484695 times)
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1720 on: May 01, 2018, 03:33:46 PM »

And unrelated,  Michelle Wolf's routine ruined the White House Correspondents dinner. What she said about Sarah Huckabee Sanders and to a lesser extent Kellyanne Conway was uncalled for. 

Seriously? Aren't you and Sandman always calling people "snowflakes" and here you are with your nose in a twist over non-offensive, non-racist, non-sexist jokes? Roll Eyes

Take a moment to think about how many despicable things your hero Trump has said about immigrants, women, disabled people, etc. before you come on here and make yourself look like a damn fool by uttering such laughably hypocritical nonsense Kiss

Even the head of the event is not happy with it Michelle Wolfs performance and you're starting to see backlash, for example The Hill has now pulled out of future correspondents dinners and they are hardly a conservative leaning publication.

Her material fell flat & the personal attacks were not necessary.  And she wasn't funny or even clever.  Sanders was sitting right there and she sat through it visibly uncomfortable. No one really found that funny.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1721 on: May 01, 2018, 05:04:19 PM »

And unrelated,  Michelle Wolf's routine ruined the White House Correspondents dinner. What she said about Sarah Huckabee Sanders and to a lesser extent Kellyanne Conway was uncalled for. 

Seriously? Aren't you and Sandman always calling people "snowflakes" and here you are with your nose in a twist over non-offensive, non-racist, non-sexist jokes? Roll Eyes

Take a moment to think about how many despicable things your hero Trump has said about immigrants, women, disabled people, etc. before you come on here and make yourself look like a damn fool by uttering such laughably hypocritical nonsense Kiss

Even the head of the event is not happy with it Michelle Wolfs performance and you're starting to see backlash, for example The Hill has now pulled out of future correspondents dinners and they are hardly a conservative leaning publication.

Her material fell flat & the personal attacks were not necessary.  And she wasn't funny or even clever.  Sanders was sitting right there and she sat through it visibly uncomfortable. No one really found that funny.

And yet, as I implied, you?re quieter than a church mouse with respect to the usually daily - and sometimes hourly - offensive comments from Trump, but when someone says anything remotely critical of your hero, you charge in here crying foul.

Do you fail to see the double standard? It?s quite similar to Gypsy essentially saying she couldn?t care less what Trump does or says as long as he sleeps with a bible under his pillow and claims to be pro-life.

Do people seriously care about the WHCD, though? The comedy is pretty much always awful no matter who is doing it with both the event and the audience being a giant bore whether it?s a Democrat or Republican in the White House.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:06:01 PM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1722 on: May 01, 2018, 06:34:17 PM »

And yet, as I implied, you?re quieter than a church mouse with respect to the usually daily - and sometimes hourly - offensive comments from Trump, but when someone says anything remotely critical of your hero, you charge in here crying foul.

Do you fail to see the double standard? It?s quite similar to Gypsy essentially saying she couldn?t care less what Trump does or says as long as he sleeps with a bible under his pillow and claims to be pro-life.

Do people seriously care about the WHCD, though? The comedy is pretty much always awful no matter who is doing it with both the event and the audience being a giant bore whether it?s a Democrat or Republican in the White House.

I'm not about to defend all of Trump's tweets and comments. He isn't my hero but I like what he's trying to accomplish.

You have to admit he has gotten some good results regarding the economy and North Korea.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:12:11 PM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1723 on: May 02, 2018, 03:20:11 AM »

Maybe Sarah Huckabee Sanders should you know stop lying if she doesn't want to be called out for it during a roast.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1724 on: May 02, 2018, 07:56:02 AM »

Maybe Sarah Huckabee Sanders should you know stop lying if she doesn't want to be called out for it during a roast.

Would have been fair game if the subject of the " jokes" was her job performance. But she was made fun of for her appearance, not cool.

How would you feel if someone made fun of your appearance in front of you in a crowded room with cameras rolling? I know I'd feel very uncomfortable if I was in her position and I don't recall it being this vicious in years past.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:12:35 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1725 on: May 02, 2018, 07:38:35 PM »

Apparently Mueller's questions to Trump leaked to the media.  My question is who is doing the leaking, is it someone on Mueller's team or is it coming from someone in the White House? Either way, this shouldn't be happening.

Answer#3:Trumps legal team.

Apparently, Mueller's team never wrote the questions down. These topics were relayed to the Trump Legal team who took notes.  Apparently someone leaked those notes...and the only people who would have access to them would be his legal team (or Trump, himself...and anyone he might have shared them with).

Did you actually listen to the comments on Sanders?

"She burns facts and turns them into a perfect smokey eye".

Rough? Sure.

Beyond the pale, given what Trump says about people (and women especially)? Hardly.

If you can take "Grab them by the pussy" and accept it as locker room talk, there was nothing in that routine that you should find offensive.

And, to be clear, Trump campaigned on burying "political correctness" and I heard LOTS of his supporters (including in this thread) echo that sentiment.  Did you really mean "I  should be able to be politically incorrect but NOBODY else should"?  Because clearly that's what most of the Republican/conservative party meant.

Now, I agree the WHCD is no place for comedians.  They're not journalists.  I've felt that way for years. But to get all worked up over THAT routine is allowing hypocrisy of the highest order coming from Repubs/conservatives. AND, I might add, exactly the type of "snowflakery" the conservatives purport to hate so much.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1726 on: May 02, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »

The committee chair who commented, FYI, is not the committee chair next year.  So she's not "the head of the event" going forward.

She also isn't unhappy about the comments, she's unhappy about the negative PR they're bringing to the event (which is an important distinction).

She agrees with me that, maybe, going forward, it's not the correct forum for those comments.

Not that they are offensive.  Not that they are these horrific, terrible, awful comments (they weren't....again, Trump has said far worse).  That they aren't appropriate for THAT setting.

Not surprising in a room full of mostly Republicans and a relatively dour press.  The event, in general, was pretty somber this year which is understandable given the way the press is being made out to be an enemy of the state.

I agree it wasn't terribly funny.  But that's a far cry from saying it was offensive.

I could care less if Sanders was uncomfortable and, quite frankly, neither should you.  That should not be the litmus test for free speech or whether it is GLOBALLY offensive. The point of the joke was to point out her uncomfortable relationship with the truth....and to compliment her make up (which, honestly, is almost always on point).  There's LOTS of things that make Sarah obviously uncomfortable at the podium (like facts and data) every day.  I know how Trump feels about that, it just still surprises me that most Repubs/conservatives toe that line.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 07:59:02 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1727 on: May 02, 2018, 07:58:40 PM »

I'm not about to defend all of Trump's tweets and comments. He isn't my hero but I like what he's trying to accomplish.

You have to admit he has gotten some good results regarding the economy and North Korea.

He's done pretty much zippo with the economy. Growth has slowed, the market is an unstable mess (his biggest claim to fame til it dropped) and unemployment is only marginally down, and shrinking at a slower rate than it did under Obama. Wages are still generally stagnant vs inflation.  Tax cuts haven't had nearly the effect they hoped (with most of the corporate proceeds, as I predicted, going into warchests and being used as stock buy backs). Oh, and he's on the verge of a trade war with China (and potentially other countries with the tariffs he's proposed but not yet implemented).  What great economic achievements are you seeing that we were not seeing under Obama?

On North Korea...he hasn't done shit.  He's being used to add legitimacy to a process that is being spearheaded by SOUTH KOREA because they were so afraid that Trumps antics would get them blown up, they felt they had no choice but to act. They used the Olympics (and Kim's sister's interest in them) as a jumping off point...and it's one the US (and Pence) OBJECTED TO!  I mean, I guess in the respect that he was SO TERRIBLE at handling things that people were scared they wouldn't wake up in the morning....he's accomplished something.  South Korea's president is smart.  He knows the US HAS to be part of the process, and he's leading Trump down the primrose path with flattery and praise so he'll sign on the the deal NK/SK have already basically negotiated.  And he'll let Trump have all the credit because, like most president's should, he just cares about the people in his country. 

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1728 on: May 02, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »

Would have been fair game if the subject of the " jokes" was her job performance. But she was made fun of for her appearance, not cool.

It was.

Read the actual joke.

How the hell can you take "perfect smokey eye" (which is a make up effect coveted by millions of women) as "making fun of her appearance"?

How would you feel if someone made fun of your appearance in front of you in a crowded room with cameras rolling? I know I'd feel very uncomfortable if I was in her position and I don't recall it being this vicious in years past.

You mean like Trump has done, over and over, throughout his entire life (From TV interviews, to Stern interviews, to the campaign trail)?

I'd say if you're at the WHCD, given it's history, you should make sure you have a thick skin.  Because you're likely to get roasted.  And if someone says you have "perfect smokey eye" and you get offended, you might want to reassess working for a man who talks about killing PC, commenting on women's appearances CONSTANTLY (were you so offended when it was Trump going after Rosie O'Donnel?) and grabbing women by the pussy.  Because, you know, as with all things Trump, you will likely end up in his line of fire.

Together again,
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1729 on: May 02, 2018, 08:51:01 PM »

It was.

Read the actual joke.

How the hell can you take "perfect smokey eye" (which is a make up effect coveted by millions of women) as "making fun of her appearance"?

You mean like Trump has done, over and over, throughout his entire life (From TV interviews, to Stern interviews, to the campaign trail)?

I'd say if you're at the WHCD, given it's history, you should make sure you have a thick skin.  Because you're likely to get roasted.  And if someone says you have "perfect smokey eye" and you get offended, you might want to reassess working for a man who talks about killing PC, commenting on women's appearances CONSTANTLY (were you so offended when it was Trump going after Rosie O'Donnel?) and grabbing women by the pussy.  Because, you know, as with all things Trump, you will likely end up in his line of fire.

I believe she was also compared to the Aunt Lydia character of a movie which the reference was to her appearance.   My point is it wasn't cool or funny and was mean spirited. 

Ill say it again, I am not going to defend all of Trump's comments and he says stupid shit from time to time.   

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1730 on: May 02, 2018, 08:54:15 PM »

He's done pretty much zippo with the economy. Growth has slowed, the market is an unstable mess (his biggest claim to fame til it dropped) and unemployment is only marginally down, and shrinking at a slower rate than it did under Obama. Wages are still generally stagnant vs inflation.  Tax cuts haven't had nearly the effect they hoped (with most of the corporate proceeds, as I predicted, going into warchests and being used as stock buy backs). Oh, and he's on the verge of a trade war with China (and potentially other countries with the tariffs he's proposed but not yet implemented).  What great economic achievements are you seeing that we were not seeing under Obama?

On North Korea...he hasn't done shit.  He's being used to add legitimacy to a process that is being spearheaded by SOUTH KOREA because they were so afraid that Trumps antics would get them blown up, they felt they had no choice but to act. They used the Olympics (and Kim's sister's interest in them) as a jumping off point...and it's one the US (and Pence) OBJECTED TO!  I mean, I guess in the respect that he was SO TERRIBLE at handling things that people were scared they wouldn't wake up in the morning....he's accomplished something.  South Korea's president is smart.  He knows the US HAS to be part of the process, and he's leading Trump down the primrose path with flattery and praise so he'll sign on the the deal NK/SK have already basically negotiated.  And he'll let Trump have all the credit because, like most president's should, he just cares about the people in his country. 

I run a small business and i have never been busier, also Ive never seen this much new construction in the area where I live before and Ive lived in central FL for over 20 years now. We have some very low unemployment numbers and job creation numbers have been really good lately.

Also, has anyone ever gotten N Korea to the bargaining table like this? We will see what happens, maybe nothing. But this is a good step and pretty historic.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1731 on: May 02, 2018, 09:04:04 PM »

I believe she was also compared to the Aunt Lydia character of a movie which the reference was to her appearance.   My point is it wasn't cool or funny and was mean spirited. 

Ill say it again, I am not going to defend all of Trump's comments and he says stupid shit from time to time.   

I'm not asking you to defend him.

I'm saying where is the outrage when he does it?

You came here to point out what, in comparison, is a relatively minor whack. 

That, my friend, is hypocrisy.

And it pretty much means your "offended" stance is based on politics, not principal.  Because if it were principal, it would be equally applied.  It means its tough to take those criticisms very seriously.

I also don't take the Aunt Lydia comment to be a knock on her looks, either. I've watched handmaiden's tale...which is a series on Hulu, not a movie, which you'd know if you'd SEEN it!...she bears a resemblance, sort of, which is not a good or bad thing...unless you don't like Aunt Lydia. I think it was more about the resemblance in FUNCTION they both share: that is fronting for a corrupt individual/organization. 

"I loved you as Aunt Lydia in the HandMaid's tale" isn't a direct comparison to her looks, necessarily.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:31:37 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1732 on: May 02, 2018, 09:16:00 PM »

I run a small business and i have never been busier, also Ive never seen this much new construction in the area where I live before and Ive lived in central FL for over 20 years now. We have some very low unemployment numbers and job creation numbers have been really good lately.

1) So, you anecdotally think it's better, but have no data?  I'd offer up that's your politics influencing your world view, likely.  Though congrats on your business doing well....but I don't think that's Trumps doing. Housing starts are down, actually, and construction expenditures, nation wide, for businesses are static. That's what the data says.

By the by: Central Florida might be seeing a boom (depending on where you are) because Disney and Uni are in a flat out attraction war for the tourist dollar...which is great for the tourists, and the surrounding economies.  Those plans were well underway LONG before Trump took office.

2) Job creation numbers are pretty much static.  They're the same as they have been for years, and actually ticked down up and down over the past few months.  2017 was the worst year for job creation since 2011. They averaged 171k jobs created per month.  In 2010, that number was 77k...every year since then, the average number has been higher than 2017 was.

3) Unemployment has dropped .06% from 4.17% to 4.11%.  In terms of percentage decrease, that's about a 1.5% of the total.  That's a slower trend than we've seen at any point in the past 9 years (since Obama took over with a high of 10+%, and in 8 years it dropped it to 4.17%).

So, again...what have you seen that shows considerable economic growth?

Also, has anyone ever gotten N Korea to the bargaining table like this? We will see what happens, maybe nothing. But this is a good step and pretty historic.

Yes, actually.  3 other times.  Three other times NK has promised denuclearization, signed an agreement, and broken it.

Now, the President didn't DIRECTLY sit at the table.  That's the difference.  What that means, considering WHY he's sitting at the table, we don't know.

But to give HIM credit for it is simply not relevant.  SK did all the heavy lifting.  They're just using him for his gravitas, and, I'd offer, he's too much of a narcisist to realize it or care.  So long as he gets the credit if something goes right.

That's Trump, in a nutshell.  In business and in life.  His only real business success has been in convincing people his name had value, and was an indicator of quality, and branding stuff.  Everything he's made/produced/developed has pretty much been an abject failure and led to bankruptcy.  This is more of the same: Slap the US Presidential seal of approval on it, take credit for it being "great" (even though he didn't build it, develop it, or do anything to really make it happen) and move on to the next branding opportunity.

That is who this guy is.  It's who he's been since the late 80's.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:19:21 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1733 on: May 02, 2018, 09:27:54 PM »

Here's an EXCELLENT explanation of the "Aunt Lydia" joke:

https://www.refinery29.com/2018/04/197716/michelle-wolf-aunt-lydia-joke-explained

Having seen the series, this is pretty much the way I took it...as a commentary on the function of her job.

Granted, basing it on an esoteric Hulu series that many in that room have probably not seen wasn't the best of ideas. But then we're going back to "not funny" not "offensive".

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1734 on: May 02, 2018, 09:32:39 PM »

FYI: I've done some wordsmithing and editing to clarify some stuff in the last couple posts.  Not trying to be intellectually dishonest with the edits, just trying to be clear in what I meant.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1735 on: May 02, 2018, 11:26:03 PM »

Just saw a report that Rudy Guilliani says Trump paid Cohen back for the 130k. So we have more contradictions.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1736 on: May 03, 2018, 04:44:55 AM »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43970908
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1737 on: May 03, 2018, 07:32:10 AM »

Just saw a report that Rudy Guilliani says Trump paid Cohen back for the 130k. So we have more contradictions.

This situation is getting a bit Clinton-esque.

No way around it, it is an embarrassment for Trump. The question is was it his own money or campaign money? The answer to that is a big deal, if it was campaign money it ties it into the election and has legal ramifications.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1738 on: May 03, 2018, 07:53:44 AM »

1) So, you anecdotally think it's better, but have no data?  I'd offer up that's your politics influencing your world view, likely.  Though congrats on your business doing well....but I don't think that's Trumps doing. Housing starts are down, actually, and construction expenditures, nation wide, for businesses are static. That's what the data says.

By the by: Central Florida might be seeing a boom (depending on where you are) because Disney and Uni are in a flat out attraction war for the tourist dollar...which is great for the tourists, and the surrounding economies.  Those plans were well underway LONG before Trump took office.

2) Job creation numbers are pretty much static.  They're the same as they have been for years, and actually ticked down up and down over the past few months.  2017 was the worst year for job creation since 2011. They averaged 171k jobs created per month.  In 2010, that number was 77k...every year since then, the average number has been higher than 2017 was.

3) Unemployment has dropped .06% from 4.17% to 4.11%.  In terms of percentage decrease, that's about a 1.5% of the total.  That's a slower trend than we've seen at any point in the past 9 years (since Obama took over with a high of 10+%, and in 8 years it dropped it to 4.17%).

So, again...what have you seen that shows considerable economic growth?

Yes, actually.  3 other times.  Three other times NK has promised denuclearization, signed an agreement, and broken it.

Now, the President didn't DIRECTLY sit at the table.  That's the difference.  What that means, considering WHY he's sitting at the table, we don't know.

But to give HIM credit for it is simply not relevant.  SK did all the heavy lifting.  They're just using him for his gravitas, and, I'd offer, he's too much of a narcisist to realize it or care.  So long as he gets the credit if something goes right.

That's Trump, in a nutshell.  In business and in life.  His only real business success has been in convincing people his name had value, and was an indicator of quality, and branding stuff.  Everything he's made/produced/developed has pretty much been an abject failure and led to bankruptcy.  This is more of the same: Slap the US Presidential seal of approval on it, take credit for it being "great" (even though he didn't build it, develop it, or do anything to really make it happen) and move on to the next branding opportunity.

That is who this guy is.  It's who he's been since the late 80's.

I'm an hour away from Disney so it isn't really so much tourist related to the rat.  Seems to  be across the board, residential development and large commercial buildings. Unemployment is at just over 4% which is an 18 year low. Generally people arent scared to spend money right now as people are more or less optimistic where we are headed economically vs the mindset people had when Obama was in.

Yes, the deal Bill Clinton struck with NK was a failure. Lets see where this goes, but a face to face between the US President and the leader of NK has never happened before and Kim has already made some concessions. Between China being convinced to take a harsher stance toward NK and Trump's sometimes over the top responses to NK's threats we have gotten to this point. ( Probrably China's actions more than anything has gotten us to this point as well as Kim thinking Trump just may be crazy enough to invade NK) Of course I'm skeptical but its a good sign we may be able to get something done here. 

If everything Trump has gotten involved in was an abject failure, how do you explain his net worth? Yes, he has had some failures, not all ventures are going to work as planned.  But he had to have done something right in business to have the wealth that he has.  C'mon man, I know you don't like the guy but that's a bit much.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:59:44 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1739 on: May 03, 2018, 08:27:31 AM »

This situation is getting a bit Clinton-esque.

No way around it, it is an embarrassment for Trump. The question is was it his own money or campaign money? The answer to that is a big deal, if it was campaign money it ties it into the election and has legal ramifications.

It's muddied even further.

The dates of the payout is LITERALLY a few days before the election.

Even if he says "it's my own money", if the payout was done to preserve his political standing....it's a campaign contribution. Period. Full stop.

And though a candidate can contribute as much of his own money to his campaign as he wants...he has to declare it to the FEC.  I don't get the sense that he did that, but we'll have to see.

The thing is, even if it's an election law violation...the worst that's going to happen is a fine, and a restriction on his campaigns ability to accept certain amounts of soft money.

CIVILLY, it hurts his standing in the Daniels lawsuit.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 194 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: