Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:13:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Donald Trump & 2016 Election
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 194 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Donald Trump & 2016 Election  (Read 490626 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #240 on: July 21, 2016, 06:32:53 AM »

Having said that, other than the Trump KIDS, the entire convention has been something of a shit show.  The power issues from last night are obviously not 100% in their control, but the Cruz speech? Allowing the plagiarism story to eat up ANOTHER cycle by releasing the mea culpa yesterday afternoon? The attempted coup on day 1? The roll call "revolt" (minor as it was) on day 2? Just so many bad optics.  Way more than I remember for any other RNC, ever.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #241 on: July 21, 2016, 06:20:10 PM »

JR sounds better than Sr.  Cheesy

Donald did not raise troubled privileged kids with issues like so many public figures with money.

I mean..to be fair...I'm not sure how much of the "raising" he did. I've always been of the impression (way before he made this run) that he was an absentee dad until the kids were old enough to get involved in his businesses, because that's where he spent the majority of his time.  But THEY (Ivana and Trump) definitely have some well adjusted, well spoken, and politically savy kids.  Very Kennedy-like (without the scandals).
If anyone thinks Donald was a major role in raising those kids and not a nanny they're fooling themselves. Most the time they were at a prep school in PA.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2016, 06:21:15 PM »

Having said that, other than the Trump KIDS, the entire convention has been something of a shit show.  The power issues from last night are obviously not 100% in their control, but the Cruz speech? Allowing the plagiarism story to eat up ANOTHER cycle by releasing the mea culpa yesterday afternoon? The attempted coup on day 1? The roll call "revolt" (minor as it was) on day 2? Just so many bad optics.  Way more than I remember for any other RNC, ever.
Shit storm pretty much sums it up.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2016, 07:19:23 AM »

Trump kids were 4-4. 4 Knock it out of the park speeches at the RNC.

BUT, having said that...they were also the only ones that really hit.  The other speeches just..ugh...all the way through. Bad optics, disjointed messages, plagarism, just a mess.  Even Newt's speech, after the first 30 seconds, was terrible. Just awful stuff.

Trump...yelled a lot, painted a dystopian picture of America, and basically said I can fix everything, quickly, trust me.  He basically did the "chicken in every pot" speech, but promised to fix everything that everybody, everywhere thinks is a problem...believe him. It was fine, for what it was, and pretty much what was expected. Long on high level promises, short on actual details.

I thought the delivery was meh. Someone obviously told him that he slouches too much, because he kept (and you could SEE it going through his brain) straightening up. He's a much better speaker without the tele-prompter, IMHO.  He looked most comfortable last night when he dropped the prompter to riff a little bit. The "switches" were a little jarring from prompter to riff, but..hey...it worked.

It was a very populist message (other than the PC part at the beginning), in some respects, which is a pretty drastic pivot from the red meat of his campaign so far (though there was plenty of that, too).  Some of the stuff...it may have played well to that room....but it's NOT going to play well with the conservative base that he's been sort of courting during the primaries.  It will probably play well to the indies, though, and that's really what Trump would need to actually make a run.

And people have been predicting he would make this pivot, post RNC, for awhile.  We'll see if it works.

It was a good speech.  It wasn't a complete and total screw up. It wasn't a home run.  In contrast to the rest of the convention, though (other than the kids speeches) it was definitely a high light.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #244 on: July 22, 2016, 11:43:14 AM »

And then....all the populist goodness and positivity of his speech last night is pretty much undone with his "pre-campaign trail" speech this morning.

Seriously, it's like the campaign has multiple personality disorder.  They are completely unable to stick to a unified, consistent message.

And he's STILL obsessed with Cruz. Like, Donald..you won. You got the nom. It's over. Mo Vaughn.  Reliving it doesn't mitigate the damage Cruz did at the convention. And it doesn't help you win the November election. It's pointless hot air, and the only folks that it's going to satisfy are the ones who are already voting for you.  And it turns EVERYONE else off. Listen to Elsa, Donald: Let. It. Go.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:45:52 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2016, 05:54:10 PM »

And then....all the populist goodness and positivity of his speech last night is pretty much undone with his "pre-campaign trail" speech this morning.

Seriously, it's like the campaign has multiple personality disorder.  They are completely unable to stick to a unified, consistent message.

And he's STILL obsessed with Cruz. Like, Donald..you won. You got the nom. It's over. Mo Vaughn.  Reliving it doesn't mitigate the damage Cruz did at the convention. And it doesn't help you win the November election. It's pointless hot air, and the only folks that it's going to satisfy are the ones who are already voting for you.  And it turns EVERYONE else off. Listen to Elsa, Donald: Let. It. Go.
The man's a sociopath you can't be surprised by this.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #246 on: July 22, 2016, 07:39:45 PM »

Totally agree....2 steps forward, one step back. Why dont we play Super Bowl 50 again while we are at it. There no benefit for re-fighting the primary battle with Ted Cruz, who may have ended his political career anyway with that speech.

I'm no way no how gonna vote for Hillary. But shit like this frustrates me . I could vote for Trump but stuff like this makes me not want to.

He had a good moment last night, then he proceeds to shoot himself in the foot.  Huh
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 07:46:08 PM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #247 on: July 22, 2016, 07:47:26 PM »

As if we needed any more evidence Bernie was screwed over......

'Does he believe in a God?' Wikileaks releases more hacked emails on eve of Hillary's convention ? and one reveals a plan to put out story that 'Bernie never ever had his act together' and another may raise questions about his faith

Wikileaks released 19,252 emails from the Democratic National Committee on the eve of the party convention

One email floats idea of floating a 'Bernie narrative' that Sanders was disorganized

Another may have stoked questions of whether he is an atheist

Sanders charged throughout the campaign that the party tilted toward Hillary Clinton
  The leaks come as Clinton is settling on a vice president and after the Justice Department declined to charge her in her own email scandal

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3703873/Does-believe-God-Wikileaks-releases-hacked-emails-eve-Hillary-s-convention-one-reveals-plan-story-Bernie-never-act-raise-questions-faith.html#ixzz4FBU4PHjW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #248 on: July 22, 2016, 09:55:56 PM »

Totally agree....2 steps forward, one step back. Why dont we play Super Bowl 50 again while we are at it. There no benefit for re-fighting the primary battle with Ted Cruz, who may have ended his political career anyway with that speech.

I'm no way no how gonna vote for Hillary. But shit like this frustrates me . I could vote for Trump but stuff like this makes me not want to.

He had a good moment last night, then he proceeds to shoot himself in the foot.  Huh
The shocking thing about that is he keeps doing it and there's no consequences! He gets away with everything. Every time you think ok this blunder will end him it doesn't. If it were any other candidate saying these outrageous things he is their political career would be instantly over.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #249 on: July 22, 2016, 09:58:24 PM »

'Does he believe in a God?' Wikileaks releases more hacked emails on eve of Hillary's convention ? and one reveals a plan to put out story that 'Bernie never ever had his act together' and another may raise questions about his faith

Wikileaks released 19,252 emails from the Democratic National Committee on the eve of the party convention

One email floats idea of floating a 'Bernie narrative' that Sanders was disorganized

Sanders charged throughout the campaign that the party tilted toward Hillary Clinton
  The leaks come as Clinton is settling on a vice president and after the Justice Department declined to charge her in her own email scandal

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3703873/Does-believe-God-Wikileaks-releases-hacked-emails-eve-Hillary-s-convention-one-reveals-plan-story-Bernie-never-act-raise-questions-faith.html#ixzz4FBU4PHjW

Who really gives a rats ass if he's religious, atheist, agnostic or whatever. I don't care.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #250 on: July 23, 2016, 12:46:36 AM »

Who really gives a rats ass if he's religious, atheist, agnostic or whatever. I don't care.

My point is that the DNC put their thumb on the scale to favor Hillary.

Even though I did not agree with his big government solutions, Bernie is a stand up guy who got screwed by a rigged system set up by the DNC &  Debbie Wasserman Shultz.

Convention should be interesting next week.....

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:56:54 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #251 on: July 23, 2016, 02:06:03 AM »

Even though I did not agree with his big government solutions, Bernie is a stand up guy who got screwed by a rigged system set up by the DNC &  Debbie Wasserman Shultz.

I agree with you there. The super delegates were with her before there was even another candidate in the race.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2016, 03:13:45 PM »

Given where I live, and the fact Hillary will carry our state by 5 to 10 pts, almost assuredly, anyway....I' m leaning more and more toward Gary Johnson or Jill Stein.  Both seem like better options, even if they have exactly zero chance to win my state (or any state).

I will NOT vote for Trump.

I would vote for Hillary ONLY if it looks like Trump has a shot at winning our state (and that's the longest of the long shots).

I wish the Repubs had managed to find someone, ANYONE, for their ticket that wasn't, IMHO, a maniacally egomaniac who's more interested in WINNING the presidency to stroke their own ego and FINALLY, maybe, gain some credibility amongst the old money that spurn him vs actually being president.

It's just.....what an awful fucking election cycle.

With the Bernie stuff just coming out, I now wonder if the DNC will be as much of a circus....or if they'll somehow find a way to throw water on the fire (like just flat out firing the staffers involved and the DNC implmenting plausible deniability). 

They say "may you live in interesting times". Fuck interesting.  I want nice, boring, times with honest, actual choices and not "choose the best of the truly fucking terrible".

This is what "politics as rah rah sports" fucking gets us. Ugh...

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2016, 03:18:31 PM »

Yeah, but I don't think that's any more news than the fact that the RNC tried to (unsuccessfully) tank Trump.  The National Committees always have their favorite candidate, and always work a little harder for them.  I think the publication and "use" of the information is as much a political tactic to try to derail the Dems conference as it is anything substantive, especially in light that it was done JUST before the Conference, and after what you have to say was a pretty disastrous (or at the very least UNEVEN) Repub conference.

Some of the more slimy tactics being considered are distasteful...but, I guess we can take solace in the fact they were never actually used.  SOMEONE, somewhere, kaboshed them as going too far.  So they might have put their thumb on Hillary's side of the scale, but they didn't press down as hard as they could have.

Again, I'm of the mind that the RNC and DNC are pretty much slugs of the same genus, different species.  I think the only reason Wikileaks hasn't released similar stuff on the RNC/Trump is because, well, the RNC was pretty much overt in their hatred for much of the primary cycle, and it wouldn't be much in the way of news to get the info out there.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:20:28 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2016, 05:57:43 PM »

Given where I live, and the fact Hillary will carry our state by 5 to 10 pts, almost assuredly, anyway....I' m leaning more and more toward Gary Johnson or Jill Stein.  Both seem like better options, even if they have exactly zero chance to win my state (or any state).

I will NOT vote for Trump.

I would vote for Hillary ONLY if it looks like Trump has a shot at winning our state (and that's the longest of the long shots).

I wish the Repubs had managed to find someone, ANYONE, for their ticket that wasn't, IMHO, a maniacally egomaniac who's more interested in WINNING the presidency to stroke their own ego and FINALLY, maybe, gain some credibility amongst the old money that spurn him vs actually being president.

It's just.....what an awful fucking election cycle.

With the Bernie stuff just coming out, I now wonder if the DNC will be as much of a circus....or if they'll somehow find a way to throw water on the fire (like just flat out firing the staffers involved and the DNC implmenting plausible deniability). 

They say "may you live in interesting times". Fuck interesting.  I want nice, boring, times with honest, actual choices and not "choose the best of the truly fucking terrible".

This is what "politics as rah rah sports" fucking gets us. Ugh...
Even with Trump being from New York i will be in complete shock if he comes within even a few points of beating Hillary there. It's just not gonna happen. New York is too blue.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #255 on: July 24, 2016, 06:09:40 PM »

Well..water thrown. With Wasserman resignng, and falling n her sword, they just squashed the convention effect.

Also coming out hat the real source of the leaks is Russian leaks of the emails. Interesting when Trump and Putin are so friendly. I don't think theres a case to be made, but the dems are going to imply it as much as they can.

The dems may actually manage to flip the script and make lemobade out of the lemons.....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:55:26 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #256 on: July 25, 2016, 06:54:43 PM »

And the dnc is starting up right where the rnc circus left off..l

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #257 on: July 26, 2016, 06:32:25 AM »

The first half of the day was definitely a shit show....largely a depiction of the anger and frustration of Bernie supporters after the news of the weekend.

But the last three speakers...Obama, Warren, and Sanders...seemed to get everyone on the same page.  Post Bernie there was the (to me) expected chorus of boos...but they felt a lot less powerful than they had earlier in the day.  But the speeches themselves were excellent.  I'd say Michelle Obama's was the best of the 3, though I'm sure Bernie's supporters would disagree.  Still, their prime time Night one was, I think, much more successful than the RNC's. About the biggest noteable to come out of it was probably the boos post Bernie, and Michelle wearing a blue dress to endorse a Clinton. Wink

Watching Bernie and his campaign staff try to, through out the day, to run damage control for HRC was both surreal and amusing, at the same time.  And you gotta wonder if HRC would have done something similar if the roles were reversed.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 06:51:53 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2016, 09:06:32 AM »

Day one looked like it was all about trying to achieve party unity and going after Trump. And promising a flat screen TV for everyone and a chicken in every pot. 

Im not sure we will see much of Bernie anymore, he pretty much ended his revolution with that speech I think.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #259 on: July 26, 2016, 09:41:12 AM »

Day one looked like it was all about trying to achieve party unity and going after Trump.

Yes, with mixed results on both targets, but improved as the night went on.

And promising a flat screen TV for everyone and a chicken in every pot. 

How so?

Im not sure we will see much of Bernie anymore, he pretty much ended his revolution with that speech I think.

We'll see, but that's a good possibility.  The grass roots of his movement were Occupy Wall Street people, a group that he had been very critical of in the years leading up to the campaign season.  So if that contingent takes hold of the movement, then I agree, we won't hear much of Bernie anymore.  If, however, the movement is controlled by those who are better situated in the sanity scale, then I think he'll continue to play a role.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 194 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: