Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Donald Trump & 2016 Election
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 194 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Donald Trump & 2016 Election  (Read 482470 times)
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2660 on: April 24, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »

And where is the “chosen by God” thing coming from?

One example: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47066659

The Republican being all "upset" that Democrats are going after the president. Something ironic about that considering how much time Fox News and so on spent on going after Obama, and the current president even took part in this conspiracy theory about a birth certificate. Not to mention how eager they were to impeach Bill Clinton....

/jarmo

Jarmo....while you and Democrats can point to ONE network as an example of this, the majority of us can point to literally dozens of other networks, and hundreds of other entities that do it to conservatives.  The fact that around 90% of media is liberal, we get one sided stories the majority of time trying to push a certain agenda, with Conservatives getting their stuff twisted more often than not.  Yes, you can point out how Fox can do the same, and I can feel you.  You’ve obviously noticed how Fox is, right?  Now think about this.  What if Fox was basically every channel you turned to, or every article you read?  It would probably be frustrating wouldn’t it?  The comparison really isn’t even close.  Democrats or whoever trying to preach about Fox is like the White Man telling us how hard he’s had it...lol.  I mean hey, if the Media was 90% conservative, I believe they would do the same thing.  But it’s not that way.  Until we get a media, who just reports the facts and doesn’t give us their bullshit, it’s always going to be the same.  However, you can’t sit here and try to argue this.  The way that it is, is obvious.

Oh....and with Bill Clinton, there is just one little thing....Bill was actually found guilty of lying under oath about getting his dick sucked and cheating on his wife (while being a sitting President).  Now, no need to get into “this and that” on this topic....I’m just pointing out how there IS a bit of difference.  Democrats would have a much better case and all the constant talk of impeachment might be validated if indeed or when Trump is actually found to be in the wrong. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:22:52 AM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2661 on: April 24, 2019, 10:22:05 AM »

One fanatical network is more than enough!  hihi

What's the problem with being liberal? Liberal tends to mean being in the middle instead of far left or right....

I'm sure there are plenty of news sources that are labeled liberal but in reality are pretty fair... Just because some don't agree with them, they're labeled the enemy of the people.

W Bush sure wasn't popular with the left, but I don't remember him going to war against the media.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #2662 on: April 24, 2019, 12:29:00 PM »

What's the problem with being liberal? Liberal tends to mean being in the middle instead of far left or right....

I'm sure there are plenty of news sources that are labeled liberal but in reality are pretty fair... Just because some don't agree with them, they're labeled the enemy of the people.

W Bush sure wasn't popular with the left, but I don't remember him going to war against the media.

/jarmo

When the truth is the truth, but radically contradicts your world view, it appears to be biased.

Just sayin'.

Wink

I mean, I'll be the first to say that MSNBC is the less liar-y version of Fox (That's why I don't watch MSNBC, though (or much of any cable news)), but most of the rest of the media plays it pretty straight. I'm certainly no fan of the 24 hour news cycle, and their need to have "breaking news" every 10 minutes, but.....that's not an indication of bias.  It's an indication of the need to bolster ratings when your average viewer has the attention span of...about 7 minutes. 

And now we'll get the obligatory conservative talking point about how 80% of the news reported about Trump is negative and so on and so forth.

When you're blaming the media because they report about all the shitty stuff the guy you support is doing (that's truly shitty), maybe it's time to reexamine the guy you support, and not the news reporting all the shitty stuff he does.

The guy is a dumpster fire, and his own worst enemy.  If you want the media to "give him a break", get the guy to shut up, drop twitter, and stop doing and saying stupid shit.  He's covered the way he is because that's how he (and most of his administration) comports himself.

"C'mon...give the guy a break....stop telling us about all his lies and fact checking him! Jeesh!"

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:34:05 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2663 on: April 24, 2019, 12:37:09 PM »

On top of that, you got people who seem to be convinced that Democrats want to turn the USA into Venezuela sharing fake news stories made in Russia.... Ironic.

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2664 on: April 24, 2019, 01:36:24 PM »

/jarmo

When the truth is the truth, but radically contradicts your world view, it appears to be biased.

Just sayin'.

Wink

I mean, I'll be the first to say that MSNBC is the less liar-y version of Fox (That's why I don't watch MSNBC, though (or much of any cable news)), but most of the rest of the media plays it pretty straight. I'm certainly no fan of the 24 hour news cycle, and their need to have "breaking news" every 10 minutes, but.....that's not an indication of bias.  It's an indication of the need to bolster ratings when your average viewer has the attention span of...about 7 minutes. 

And now we'll get the obligatory conservative talking point about how 80% of the news reported about Trump is negative and so on and so forth.

When you're blaming the media because they report about all the shitty stuff the guy you support is doing (that's truly shitty), maybe it's time to reexamine the guy you support, and not the news reporting all the shitty stuff he does.

The guy is a dumpster fire, and his own worst enemy.  If you want the media to "give him a break", get the guy to shut up, drop twitter, and stop doing and saying stupid shit.  He's covered the way he is because that's how he (and most of his administration) comports himself.

"C'mon...give the guy a break....stop telling us about all his lies and fact checking him! Jeesh!"

Roll Eyes

No Pilferk.  People bitch about the media twisting stuff and being biased.  You can't just say that the media ONLY reports on the shitty things Trump does, and that's the reason why people blame the media...lol  What a poor example.  The media blows EVERY little thing he does up....and then people think it's a huge deal and Trump is awful.  When in reality, most things aren't a huge deal, and they were twisted by the media.  A sane, educated person might read something and say "Ummm wait a second, Trump didn't say that."  Or, "who care's".  But the media cares, and makes it a huge story.   Then a percentage of people start to clump that in with everything they have against the man.  It's not hard really to understand and see.  If you can't see beyond the fact that the media reports on a hell of a lot more than the "shitty" things he does, then it's pointless to argue with someone like you.  Nice try though

And how about this....get over your "feelings" about what he "says' and look at what he has DONE.  You won't admit any good....but there is a lot there
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:04:14 PM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2665 on: April 24, 2019, 01:49:44 PM »

/jarmo

You're trying to justify and make excuses.  Nothing is wrong with liberalism for the most part....other than too much of it, is bad.  Too much of anything is pretty much bad.  We definitely have too much of it in our media.   

You are right.  Bush didn't go to war with the media.  Different person and different personalities.  The Jon Bon Jovi compared to the Axl Rose...huh?  So because Bush never went to war with the media, means Trump shouldn't?  C'mon    Yeah, Axl should act like other rock stars as well, right?  I've seen you defend that time and time again.  And I don't need to hear the whole "this is different" talk.  It's really not....people have the right to be themselves, and that includes the President.  Whether you guys believe it or not....for as many flaws Trump has in his personality, millions of people admire him for actually speaking his mind and calling out the media for who they truly are.  How many other Presidents would do the politically correct thing and let it go? ALL?   I personally, love that he calls out the media.  Nothing better in my mind than one of the most powerful people in the country calling them out and holding them accountable.  It's brought attention to a serious problem in our country and whether you like him or not...more and more people are finding out just how exactly disgraceful they are.

And now you or someone else will come back with "but Trump..."  It doesn't matter.  Yes, Trump has faults.  But this is about the media.  Even if you believe Trump to be the worst person ever....he has still brought light to the fact that the media is a problem.     

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2666 on: April 24, 2019, 01:52:11 PM »

No Pilferk.  You bitch about the media twisting stuff and being biased.  You can't just take the shitty things Trump has done, and say those are the reasons why we bitch.  If you can't see beyond that.,..it's pointless to argue with someone like you.  Nice try though

Except it is.  You bitch about the media because you don't like what its saying about your candidate. Because it makes you feel bad about voting for the guy. Whether whats being said is true or not. And that's the facts, jack.

"I don't like what the news is saying, so they must be biased".  That's literally your argument.  "It is that way because I say it is and if you don't see things MY way, then you're not worth discussing this with". That's your response.

"Someone like you". (AKA an indie voter with no party affiliation who has voted for Repubs (and Dems) all his life who just happens to think Trump is a terrible president).

Maybe it's time to reevaluate your perspective when THATS your best response.  Because all it does is make the point.

And how about this....get over your "feelings" about what he "says' and look at what he has DONE.  You won't admit any good....but there is a lot there

I have given him credit for the...three?....things he's done well. And kudos for a couple more (like the reversal on the Special Olympics funding).  All right here in this very thread!

There's NOT a lot of good.  Which is entirely the point.

You can't just "make up" good stuff when the facts show a different story.  Well, you can...but that's Fox News.

And now we'll have the same economic debate we've been having, here, for 2 years over how much of an effect he's had so far, and how 18 months in (when his actions ACTUALLY have an effect and he's not riding coat tails) we're seeing signs of a slowing economy.

It ain't all feelings, though I know it's easier for you to dismiss the detractors by saying/thinking it is.  But then...you've just 100% made my point about media bias vs not liking the news. You'll dismiss ANYTHING that doesn't conform to your world view.

As for "getting over our feelings"....I might suggest you take your own advice on that front.  For a party that calls libs "snowflakes", it seems the conservatives are the ones running to find a safe space.  For a party who seems to want "political incorrectness", they sure seem to only want that when it's saying things THEY agree with.

It's all one big ball of hypocrisy. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:59:28 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2667 on: April 24, 2019, 02:10:03 PM »

No Pilferk.  You bitch about the media twisting stuff and being biased.  You can't just take the shitty things Trump has done, and say those are the reasons why we bitch.  If you can't see beyond that.,..it's pointless to argue with someone like you.  Nice try though

Except it is.  You bitch about the media because you don't like what its saying about your candidate. Because it makes you feel bad about voting for the guy. Whether whats being said is true or not. And that's the facts, jack.

"I don't like what the news is saying, so they must be biased".  That's literally your argument.  "It is that way because I say it is and if you don't see things MY way, then you're not worth discussing this with". That's your response.

"Someone like you". (AKA an indie voter with no party affiliation who has voted for Repubs (and Dems) all his life who just happens to think Trump is a terrible president).

Maybe it's time to reevaluate your perspective when THATS your best response.  Because all it does is make the point.

I have given him credit for the...three?....things he's done well. And kudos for a couple more (like the reversal on the Special Olympics funding).  All right here in this very thread!

There's NOT a lot of good.  Which is entirely the point.

You can't just "make up" good stuff when the facts show a different story.  Well, you can...but that's Fox News.

And now we'll have the same economic debate we've been having, here, for 2 years over how much of an effect he's had so far, and how 18 months in (when his actions ACTUALLY have an effect and he's not riding coat tails) we're seeing signs of a slowing economy.

It ain't all feelings, though I know it's easier for you to dismiss the detractors by saying/thinking it is.  But then...you've just 100% made my point about media bias vs not liking the news. You'll dismiss ANYTHING that doesn't conform to your world view.

As for "getting over our feelings"....I might suggest you take your own advice on that front.  For a party that calls libs "snowflakes", it seems the conservatives are the ones running to find a safe space.  For a party who seems to want "political incorrectness", they sure seem to only want that when it's saying things THEY agree with.

It's all one big ball of hypocrisy. 

You think I bitch about the Media simply because I don't like what they say about Trump?   Makes me feel "bad" about voting for him?  And those are "facts"      Roll Eyes    Bro, I've bitched about the media years before Trump got into office.  The fact that you can't see the bias in the media is alarming really. 

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2668 on: April 24, 2019, 02:14:54 PM »

You're trying to justify and make excuses.  Nothing is wrong with liberalism for the most part....other than too much of it, is bad.

No, just stating that I believe most of the media is pretty much center. And those on the extreme edges think the middle is "bad" and biased..... Just my opinion.

Too much of anything is pretty much bad.  

Too much defending Trump is bad as well?  hihi

So because Bush never went to war with the media, means Trump shouldn't?  C'mon   

Exactly.

You're the president. Show some class. Be the bigger man. Once.  hihi

/jarmo

damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2669 on: April 24, 2019, 02:17:25 PM »

It's people like you Pilferk that make me actually LOVE Trump being President.  He's so far in your head.  Your life must be miserable.  

Also, you don't know nearly as much as you think you do.  From reading your posts over the last year or so....you've been proven wrong so many times....only to come back with some silly, lame post trying to make sense of it all, and back track.  Get out and try something else...you may find yourself healthier.

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2670 on: April 24, 2019, 02:33:13 PM »

Could you list some things you don't agree with that Trump has done while president?

So you don't need to mention talking about grabbing women because that was before....  ok

/jarmo

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2671 on: April 24, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »

You think I bitch about the Media simply because I don't like what they say about Trump?   Makes me feel "bad" about voting for him?  And those are "facts"      Roll Eyes    Bro, I've bitched about the media years before Trump got into office.  The fact that you can't see the bias in the media is alarming really. 

I think you are bitching about the media, in this conversation, because you don't like the way Trump is being treated.  Poor wittle twumpy wumpy.  Wanna know why I think that?

Honestly Jarmo, if you don’t believe the media treats Trump differently than Democratic presidents before him, or even most Republican ones...I’m in shock.

The truth is....Trump is treated a lot like Nixon was.  I wonder why that is?  Maybe because he's a dumpster fire who can't stop saying and doing stupid shit?  Or...are you suggesting they NOT cover it when this president shits all over himself (and the constitution)?

What you see as "media bias", I see as a need to fill 24 hours of cable news. Newstainment sucks, and waters down the overall content.  But that's not bias. It means they say the same thing, different ways, a LOT.

When it comes to ACTUAL bias, you have Fox (who doesn't even really purport to be a news network, no matter what their name leads you to believe) and MSNBC, both biased in different directions. Fox lies a LOT more.

Then you have the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX), CNN, BBC, AP, and most of the legacy "print" media.  They all play their news coverage pretty straight. You have the tabloid outliers, like the Post, who are over the top biased (usually to the conservative side), but most of the reputable papers (like the Times and the Post...both of which are favorite conservative targets) are straight shooters in their reporting.  But, you know, its way easier for conservatives to scream bias when you don't like the news than it is to question your world view. So I get it....in a "chuckle, chuckle look at the hypocrits as they watch Fox News" kinda way.

Their op ed departments, and their "opinion-y" shows, certainly may have a slant, but that's why they are op eds. CBS leans conservative, NBC leans liberal, Fox (the networks, not the news network) are mostly local so it varies wildly (though they get pushed to lean conservative), ABC shoots dead straight.  BBC probably has the best "newsy" op ed coverage going, though it certainly has a more international point of view.

In short: What's alarming is that Trump (and many conservatives) think the answer to their butt hurt is to undermine the freedom of the press outlined in the constitution.  They call it "accountability" but what they really mean is "quelling the noise I don't like and silencing the opinions I don't agree with".

Which is all well and good when YOU say it (I don't have to agree with you).  That's another constitutional right!  But when Trump says it? Nope.....his OATH is to uphold the constitution.  Not just the parts he likes.  All of it.  

By the by: You keep saying things like "the majority of us" as if you think conservatives are the large majority of the country.  I got some nonbiased, not spun, definitely true news for you: They ain't.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:55:06 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2672 on: April 24, 2019, 02:42:08 PM »

It's people like you Pilferk that make me actually LOVE Trump being President.  He's so far in your head.  Your life must be miserable.  

NOT even a TINY bit.  In my head OR miserable.  I have a GREAT life, love every second of it, and posting here is actually fun for me.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be here.

But the fact you would take pleasure in your fellow citizens being miserable speaks VOLUMES about you.  But, I have to say, it doesn't surprise me.

That's the bent of the die hard Trump supporters: They just wanna see someone "own" the libs. They somehow need to inflict (or see inflicted) misery on anyone who disagrees with them as "righteous punishment" for daring to see things in a different way!

Petty, childish, and pathetic...but true.

Trump is a giant zit on the planet: Painful while he's here, hopefully gone sooner rather than later, but eventually he WILL be gone, and the worst he's going to manage is to leave a little scar that we'll all forget about until it itches one day.

Til then, those of us that don't LIKE zits will continue to work toward lessening the pain he causes, and trying to get him to disappear a little quicker (Clearasil!).

Sorta like back in November when the Dems cleaned Repubs clock in the house AND (really) in the Senate (24-8 just wasn't as good as the 26-6 drubbing 6 years prior).

Also, you don't know nearly as much as you think you do.  From reading your posts over the last year or so....you've been proven wrong so many times....only to come back with some silly, lame post trying to make sense of it all, and back track.  Get out and try something else...you may find yourself healthier.

Yeah, talk about confirmation bias (with a large dash of revisionist history)! No WONDER you think the press is biased! Thanks for so thoroughly and completely making my point for me! Couldn't have done it any better! Honestly, this is even better than your rewrite, above, (after i had responded) which contradicts itself at least twice! Nice job! You've proven my point, unintentionalky, not once but twice!

I think I do pretty well.  I'll take your suggestions under "advisement". Thanks,though!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:48:34 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #2673 on: April 24, 2019, 05:15:30 PM »

You're trying to justify and make excuses.  Nothing is wrong with liberalism for the most part....other than too much of it, is bad.

No, just stating that I believe most of the media is pretty much center. And those on the extreme edges think the middle is "bad" and biased..... Just my opinion.

Too much of anything is pretty much bad.  

Too much defending Trump is bad as well?  hihi

So because Bush never went to war with the media, means Trump shouldn't?  C'mon   

Exactly.

You're the president. Show some class. Be the bigger man. Once.  hihi

/jarmo

you think being "liberal" means "being in the middle". it does not. But it makes sense that you think the media is "center" since you equate that with liberal.

Obama routinely criticized Fox News. do you think he was presidential?  he couldn't handle one network being tough on him.  all of the others kissed his ass, but he struggled with one. (see below for the White House's war on Fox News under Obama)

check out this website: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/left/
click on "Left Bias" and you will see CNN, MSNBC, and other mainstream media.
Click on "Left-Center" and you will see ABC, CBS, NBC, New York Times, NPR, and most major newspapers.
"Right-Center" you'll see WSJ. 
"Right Bias" is Fox News.

the country is Center-Right. Has been for years. yet every major network is left of center, except Fox News.

Trump is receiving around 90-95% negative coverage from the media. easy to say he deserves it - i'm not going to change any minds. I just wish the media would be as tough on Dems as they are on Trump. it would be nice if ABC, NBC, CBS were in the "least bias" category. Obama put immigrants in cages, and very few people talked about it. the media is a big influence on that. 

As for Bush, how quickly you forget....https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/general/news/2008/11/20/5248/think-again-the-bush-legacy-war-on-the-press/
It's interesting, on this board, Bush was routinely called a Nazi. the media was very unfair to him and promoted the dumb and evil persona that many on the left wanted to believe were true. now, he's a darling of the left and the media. I guess he did get them all the war they so desperately wanted. apparently, if you go against trump, you can do anything and the liberals will love you. in their minds, trump is worse than the individual responsible for years of an unnecessary war and getting thousands of Americans killed in combat. unbelievable.   

White House Labels Fox News Illegitimate

Anita Dunn, who was then the White House director of communications, told the New York Times in an interview on Oct. 11, 2009, that Fox News was not a legitimate news organization.

“We’re going to treat them the way we would treat an opponent,” Dunn told the Times. “As they are undertaking a war against Barack Obama and the White House, we don’t need to pretend that this is the way that legitimate news organizations behave.”

She also said, when asked about snubbing “Fox News Sunday” with Chris Wallace, “we’re not going to legitimize them as a news organization.”

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #2674 on: April 25, 2019, 01:00:29 AM »

Finally, the truth comes out. Like most Trump supporters, the main reason you support him is because you hate liberals so much and you think he is "triggering" or "owning" them. Talk about a miserable life, why do liberals live in your head rent free?

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2675 on: April 25, 2019, 05:06:11 AM »

you think being "liberal" means "being in the middle". it does not. But it makes sense that you think the media is "center" since you equate that with liberal.

Yes I think so.

Maybe because I'm from one of those scary socialist countries that scare the shit out of many over there.

check out this website: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/left/
click on "Left Bias" and you will see CNN, MSNBC, and other mainstream media.
Click on "Left-Center" and you will see ABC, CBS, NBC, New York Times, NPR, and most major newspapers.
"Right-Center" you'll see WSJ. 

"Right Bias" is Fox News.

Most of your examples are in the center right there.

As for Bush, how quickly you forget....https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/general/news/2008/11/20/5248/think-again-the-bush-legacy-war-on-the-press/
It's interesting, on this board, Bush was routinely called a Nazi. the media was very unfair to him and promoted the dumb and evil persona that many on the left wanted to believe were true. now, he's a darling of the left and the media. I guess he did get them all the war they so desperately wanted. apparently, if you go against trump, you can do anything and the liberals will love you. in their minds, trump is worse than the individual responsible for years of an unnecessary war and getting thousands of Americans killed in combat. unbelievable.

Bush was a pretty bad president. Went to war without any proper evidence.

But still, no matter how much bad he did that the media didn't like, he had more class than the current one.

/jarmo

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2676 on: April 25, 2019, 06:52:51 AM »

Yes I think so.

Maybe because I'm from one of those scary socialist countries that scare the shit out of many over there.

We are (if you assess us globally) definitely center right in the US.  But if you assess us internally, looking at historic US politics over the past 50 years....everything shows the country is now center left.  Surveys done in 2017 showed 24% Repubs, 32% Dems, and the rest identifying as indies.  In the past 2 national elections, there have been a larger number of votes cast for Dem candidates than for Republican candidates.  The political needle has been slowly shifting left for 50 years....and, other than the Trump blip (which was the conservative temper tantrum over the needle shift..and a need to "Pwn the libs")...we continue to see a social shift left.  There's no denying it.  You've seen movement toward LGBTQ rights, marijuana legalization, and a whole host of other social issues.  The big divide really seems to be over "people of color" and immigration (because there seems to be a large stripe of xenophobes and white nationalists that have a loud voice in a shrinking party).   What the conservatives don't want to acknowledge is that the "evil coastal elites" that they see as boogymen outnumber them by about 2 to 1.  The country LOOKS center right, in government, because there is a large swath of states, in the middle, with low population counts, that vote Republican. The population centers in the US? Pretty much all of them vote Dem.  If we had a TRUE representative government (and not gerrymandered districts and low population states given an over representation vs their population numbers), the government would be pretty heavily skewed Dem.  But that's not the way the system is set up to work, so....

And both parties (unfortunately) spend like drunken sailors...so there's really no such thing as fiscal conservatism in national government anymore.  There's just varying degrees of corporate toadyism....with the Dems being LESS beholden to the corporate proletariat and their greed.

The argument, on the fiscal side, is simply over how to spend the war chest (or, really, run up the credit card bills). 

Yeah, and I wouldn't put a WHOLE lot of stock in that site, anyway.  Run by a shadowy figure (who probably isn't who he purports to be), who is a self described "armchair researcher".  And, if you read the methodology (which has never been scientifically validated) it uses is a largely subjective (if consistent) tool...and there are like 5 people who take care of the rating.  It's literally rife with opportunity for confirmation bias. 

Bush was a pretty bad president. Went to war without any proper evidence.

But still, no matter how much bad he did that the media didn't like, he had more class than the current one.

/jarmo

Bush and Obama might have had a couple run ins with the media (and Obama's was with a particular outlet that wasn't really operating in good faith, with any degree of honesty, or with any thought at fair coverage), but they did not consistently, vigorously, and vocally undermine the entire press like Trump does.  Yes, Obama and Bush were wrong to do it and...if memory serves...the other press outlets defended Fox in the Obama spat.  So if they were wrong, Trump is wrong times a million since he does it a million times more, and with a million times more veracity.

On another note:

Bush was a terrible president.

But a charismatic one.  And a "nice guy" (which is what got him elected).

So the press covers him, now like a private citizen instead of like the president.  Just like they do with pretty much all past presidents.  He's treated like Carter, Reagan (before his passing), his father, and (mostly) Clinton are treated.

I'd point out Obama is the only one (besides Nixon, for obvious reasons) who has consistently (coming up on 2 years after leaving office) been really prominently covered by the press once they left office...and that's largely by the conservatives media sources who continue to bash him.  Likely because this president can't stop talking about him.  Talking about living rent free in someone's head!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:41:38 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2677 on: April 25, 2019, 07:02:58 AM »

The worst kept secret in US politics is out:

Biden is running for President.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2678 on: April 25, 2019, 08:07:16 AM »

The worst kept secret in US politics is out:

Biden is running for President.
I'm shocked said no one ever.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2679 on: April 25, 2019, 08:11:18 AM »

Yeah, and I wouldn't put a WHOLE lot of stock in that site, anyway.  Run by a shadowy figure (who probably isn't who he purports to be), who is a self described "armchair researcher".  And, if you read the methodology (which has never been scientifically validated) it uses is a largely subjective (if consistent) tool...and there are like 5 people who take care of the rating.  It's literally rife with opportunity for confirmation bias.

Oh so much irony, when i used that site on him and the good Senator when we were discussing the tax breaks the source was a far right mixed factual site going by that. Which they dismissed. Now they're singing its praises trying to say reputable news sites are right center.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 194 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: