Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:36:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Anniversary / deluxe editions - Yay or Nay? - a discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anniversary / deluxe editions - Yay or Nay? - a discussion  (Read 34795 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: October 21, 2015, 11:34:55 AM »

While most people are focusing on the alleged imminent reunion, another possible that seems to be overlooked is the fact that GN'R is one of few bands who haven't re-released their albums in those Deluxe or anniversary editions yet.

What's your opinion on these? Do you buy them from other artists bands you like? Do you go for the most expensive edition or something else (often there's a more simple version with only CDs and then the most expensive ones with LPs, Blu-rays, books and stuff)?

IF Universal Music and GN'R decided to release this kind of versions of the GN'R albums, what would you like to see on them? It seems like hardcore fans often have a better idea of what's available on bootleg than the average person who puts these things together.

So let's focus on the studio albums. What would you like to see on a anniversary / deluxe edition of these albums?

Appetite For Destruction
GN'R Lies
Use Your Illusion I
Use Your Illusion II
"The Spaghetti Incident?"
Chinese Democracy

Keep in mind, this is supposed to be somewhat constructive. No need to remind people that they are stupid for wanting something or that nobody would buy it etc.
Thanks!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:41:07 AM »

First thing that comes to mind would be better quality versions of :

Crash Diet
Brink It Back Home
Just Another Sunday

Now, they may not exist.  The versions that we have all had for 20 years, that might be all there is.  But even if they could just touch up the sound with some sort of studio wizardry, I'd be very interested in that.

In the more general sense, I'm always more interested in unreleased songs than I am 3 alternate takes of 'Welcome to The Jungle'.  Of the random live version of a song.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:52:24 AM »

Which release would those be on?

That's another discussion.
For example, Don't Cry existed in demo form before AFD was recorded, would you included that on AFD or UYI deluxe edition?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 11:52:32 AM »

RE-released on vinyl (picture disc's), with possible Axl Biography and genuine Live Era 86-2014  yes
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 11:59:25 AM »

An example:

Appetite For Destruction
Disc 1 - original album
Disc 2 - original album remastered
Disc 3 - demos from 1986 (album tracks, Heartbreak Hotel, Jumping Jack Flash)
Disc 4 - Possibly more demos or alternative mixes/versions
Disc 5 - Live in London 1987

GN'R Lies

Disc 1 - original album
Disc 3 - Live tracks without added crowd noise, Shadow Of Your Love, Alternative demo versions if they exist
Disc 4  -Live tracks if they exist from pre-AFD era. Live at CBGB.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:36:41 AM by jarmo » Logged

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »

I?m a fan of the re-releases with unreleased tracks.
In some ways, it?s the best case scenario, because even though the band clearly didn?t think those songs were ready for primetime back then, B-Sides recorded in the band?s prime are more often than not in my experience more appealing than more recent original material.

Rolling Stones, Faces, Thin Lizzy, Soundgarden are a few somewhat recent examples that come to mind.

Re-releases featuring only live versions are usually less appealing to me, but whereas Guns was so damn good live, I?d probably be tempted to pick that up if it were the case.

I?d prefer vinyl. Hate to say it, but think my CD buying days may be over, so if not released on wax, would probably just purchase the tracks I don?t already own on iTunes or something for the iPod.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 12:10:50 PM »

I?m a fan of the re-releases with unreleased tracks.
In some ways, it?s the best case scenario, because even though the band clearly didn?t think those songs were ready for primetime back then, B-Sides recorded in the band?s prime are more often than not in my experience more appealing than more recent original material.

Rolling Stones, Faces, Thin Lizzy, Soundgarden are a few somewhat recent examples that come to mind.

Re-releases featuring only live versions are usually less appealing to me, but whereas Guns was so damn good live, I?d probably be tempted to pick that up if it were the case.

I?d prefer vinyl. Hate to say it, but think my CD buying days may be over, so if not released on wax, would probably just purchase the tracks I don?t already own on iTunes or something for the iPod.

Yeah.  I'd like to see something new...like an unreleased track or a remix.  Something to add to what we already have. 
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 01:18:17 PM »

2016 - Use Your Illusions ? 25th anniversary edition

CD 1 & 2: Original albums
CD 3 & 4: Remastered albums
CD 5 & 6: Stripped down mixes of the albums (rawer sound)
CD 7: Demos and outtakes
BD 1 & 2: Live in Tokyo 92, remastered
BD 3: Perfect Crime - Use Your Illusion World Tour documentary + feature with news clips surrounding the release of the albums.

Book with interviews with band members and the people involved in doing the albums. History of the world tour accompanying the albums. Storyboards for the music videos.

Selection of posters from the world tour.

Guitar picks with design used on the tour.

2017 - Appetite For Destruction ? 30th anniversary edition

CD 1: Original Album
CD 2: Remastered Album
CD 3: Early live recordings of the songs
CD 4: Demos
CD 5: Re-recorded Appetite (1999)

All singles included in the box-set.

Book with interviews with the band members and the people involved in doing the album. Original ideas for music videos and album art.

Picture book with concert posters, band photos, live photos and photos from the studio.

2018 - GN'R Lies ? 30th anniversary edition

CD 1: Original album
CD 2: Remastered album
CD 3: Alternate takes
CD 4: Interview disc with band members.

Poster set with photos of the instruments used in the recording.

High Quality photo from the Patience recording/music video

Book with the story of getting signed to Geffen and the recording of Live Like A Suicide.

2018 - Chinese Democracy ? 10th anniversary edition

CD 2: 1999 mix of the album
CD 3: Outtakes
CD 4: Remix album
CD 5: Songs with alternate guitar solos
BD 1: Rock Am Ring
BD 2: Music videos

Book with the story of the making of Chinese Democracy, including photos from the studio.

All three booklets are included in the box-set.

Posters from the world tour.

Guitar picks with designs used during the world tour.

To sum up, I vote Yay.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »

Use Your Illusion I

Disc 1 - original album
Disc 3 - Demos (Don't Cry, November Rain, Back Off Bitch etc), alternative mixes/versions, Ain't Going Down
Disc 4 & 5 - Live show with Izzy from 1991

Use Your Illusion II

Disc 1 - original album
Disc 3 - Demos, alternative mixes/versions (KOHD from Days Of Thunder)
Disc 4 & 5 - Live show from 1993 with Gilby and the acoustic set

Chinese Democracy

Disc 1 - original album
Disc 2 & 3 - Alternative versions, demos
Disc 4 - Remixes
Disc 5 - Live tracks

/jarmo

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »

I recently purchased a deluxe box set of the velvet underground, I would personally love to see GNR release something in the way of a boxed compilation love

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »

I for one would love to see remaster deluxe sets.  I've bought them for my favorite artists, and for Guns I would go all in.

I'd like to see remastered versions of each cd, bonus tracks including unreleased demos, and live stuff from the vaults.  One in particular that deserves release is the '87 Marquee show.  Include DVDs (we know there's a treasure trove from UYI). 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »

2016 - Use Your Illusions ? 25th anniversary edition

CD 1 & 2: Original albums
CD 3 & 4: Remastered albums
CD 5 & 6: Stripped down mixes of the albums (rawer sound)
CD 7: Demos and outtakes
BD 1 & 2: Live in Tokyo 92, remastered
BD 3: Perfect Crime - Use Your Illusion World Tour documentary + feature with news clips surrounding the release of the albums.

Book with interviews with band members and the people involved in doing the albums. History of the world tour accompanying the albums. Storyboards for the music videos.

Selection of posters from the world tour.

Guitar picks with design used on the tour.

2017 - Appetite For Destruction ? 30th anniversary edition

CD 2: Remastered Album
CD 3: Early live recordings of the songs
CD 4: Demos
CD 5: Re-recorded Appetite (1999)

All singles included in the box-set.

Book with interviews with the band members and the people involved in doing the album. Original ideas for music videos and album art.

Picture book with concert posters, band photos, live photos and photos from the studio.

2018 - GN'R Lies ? 30th anniversary edition

CD 1: Original album
CD 2: Remastered album
CD 3: Alternate takes
CD 4: Interview disc with band members.

Poster set with photos of the instruments used in the recording.

High Quality photo from the Patience recording/music video

Book with the story of getting signed to Geffen and the recording of Live Like A Suicide.

2018 - Chinese Democracy ? 10th anniversary edition

CD 2: 1999 mix of the album
CD 3: Outtakes
CD 4: Remix album
CD 5: Songs with alternate guitar solos
BD 1: Rock Am Ring
BD 2: Music videos

Book with the story of the making of Chinese Democracy, including photos from the studio.

All three booklets are included in the box-set.

Posters from the world tour.

Guitar picks with designs used during the world tour.

To sum up, I vote Yay.

I think Spirit saved this thread, Id be happy with a box set like this, plus Jarmo's
suggestion of alternative versions of songs from Chinese, that'd be awesome!!! Not
interested in a simple coloured vinyl re-release  or something like that though.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 06:34:59 PM »

Here's another thought. Sometimes in order to fit songs onto an album (LP, CD), they need to be shortened.

When you have something like a boxset, you obviously got more space. So maybe songs that fade out on the version we have on the albums, would be different if they didn't need to fade them out?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:08:19 PM by jarmo » Logged

Regibold
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 07:40:21 PM »

All these ideas are great ones!!! Hell, I can't pick just one!!! These editions would be welcomed into my collection....next year is 30 years that GN'R formed so why not?
LeviSnuts
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 09:04:39 PM »

Hey Jarmo

I've mentioned before that I would love to see Chinese Democracy as a 24bit release (24/192 or 24/96) -- but more than ANYTHING, I'd love to see a Deluxe/Super-Deluxe version of the Chinese Democracy recording sessions, akin to Bob Dylan's recent 18CD super Bootleg Series 12 release of material from 1965-1966.  I would empty my bank account for this kind of stuff.

I would love to see all of the albums released as deluxe editions full of demos and sbd concerts and videos.  The hardcore fans, like me, will buy the super deluxe sets, and you can have smaller 2CD releases with a disc of b-sides, while the bigger sets get complete demo recording sessions, etc.

I would also gladly sell my soul for the terabytes of Buckethead noodling in the studio from 2000-2004.
Annie
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 10:26:56 PM »

All these ideas are great ones!!! Hell, I can't pick just one!!! These editions would be welcomed into my collection....next year is 30 years that GN'R formed so why not?

I agree. I'm such an iphone girl now, hopefully they would do something on itunes as well.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 07:21:27 AM »

I would also gladly sell my soul for the terabytes of Buckethead noodling in the studio from 2000-2004.

Ha!  hihi

I didn't know Dylan released an 18CD box. Wow!

/jarmo

CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 09:01:32 AM »

Use Your Illusion I

Disc 1 - original album
Disc 3 - Demos (Don't Cry, November Rain, Back Off Bitch etc), alternative mixes/versions, Ain't Going Down
Disc 4 & 5 - Live show with Izzy from 1991

Use Your Illusion II

Disc 1 - original album
Disc 3 - Demos, alternative mixes/versions (KOHD from Days Of Thunder)
Disc 4 & 5 - Live show from 1993 with Gilby and the acoustic set

Chinese Democracy

Disc 1 - original album
Disc 2 & 3 - Alternative versions, demos
Disc 4 - Remixes
Disc 5 - Live tracks

/jarmo

Sounds pretty perfect.
I would also like if, for a Spaghetti re-release, they released as bonus tracks other songs they had recorded for that album but never released. Gilby said they recorded a lot of songs, including a lot of Iggy Pop and Hanoi Rocks covers that didn't make the cut - It'd be cool to see those released on a Spaghetti Incident re-release.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »

AFD...would want the album remastered with the original artwork on the cover...just a badass pic and perfect for that album. Disc 2 would be the best alternate takes and demos from the AFD sessions which would include covers and demos for songs that ended up on UYI. I want stuff recorded during that timeframe.

Lies...just add Cornshucker.

UYI....nothing here really other than remaster, box together and add the UYI tour documentary as a dvd...

SI....nothing

CD....I can't really decide at this point because we haven't heard the rest of the recorded songs. But, if it was just Chinese songs, I would prefer to have it re-released with the red hand artwork and have a second disc of alternate takes, alternate mixes, demos etc.
***Ultimately, for Chinese, I would like to see all the A-listed tracks that were fully recorded prior to 2008 be released in a boxset. Tommy said there were 22 unreleased tracks that didn't make it on to Chinese. That makes 36 songs total....3 cd boxset. Bam!  peace

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 10:25:13 AM »

AFD...would want the album remastered with the original artwork on the cover...just a badass pic and perfect for that album. Disc 2 would be the best alternate takes and demos from the AFD sessions which would include covers and demos for songs that ended up on UYI. I want stuff recorded during that timeframe.

Lies...just add Cornshucker.

UYI....nothing here really other than remaster, box together and add the UYI tour documentary as a dvd...

SI....nothing

CD....I can't really decide at this point because we haven't heard the rest of the recorded songs. But, if it was just Chinese songs, I would prefer to have it re-released with the red hand artwork and have a second disc of alternate takes, alternate mixes, demos etc.
***Ultimately, for Chinese, I would like to see all the A-listed tracks that were fully recorded prior to 2008 be released in a boxset. Tommy said there were 22 unreleased tracks that didn't make it on to Chinese. That makes 36 songs total....3 cd boxset. Bam!  peace

I'd purchase all of this stuff... but the UYI documentary... i'd shell out anything and everything for that.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: