Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:02:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Top 20 Hyped Albums That Utterly Disappointed
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 20 Hyped Albums That Utterly Disappointed  (Read 23027 times)
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 04:12:29 PM »

You make no sense dude.

If this reunion tour does well, and they put out a new album... people that didn't care before will start caring.

They'll sale more CD albums because of this. It will be referenced in articles and mentioned. It will help the sales somewhat, and let that album be known. At this point right now it is kinda brushed away and somewhat forgotten to the masses that aren't Guns N' Roses fans.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 04:18:13 PM »

You make no sense dude.

I make no sense because I don't think people excited about Slash and Duff being back in the fold will lead to them tracking down and showing love for an album neither man are on?

If you say so.

By this logic, once Bruce Dickinson rejoined Iron Maiden, the Blaze Bayley efforts were more accepted into the fold.  Did that happen?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 04:25:30 PM »

I make no sense because I don't think people excited about Slash and Duff being back in the fold will lead to them tracking down and showing love for an album neither man are on?

You make no sense because you assume everyone who will notice GN'R in the future, are only doing so because they know Duff and Slash by name.

The point he was making is that there'll be more attention on GN'R. Period.
Doesn't necessarily, or automatically, mean there's more attention to that album and this album, but definitely that other one.

Because do you honestly think the casual fans will go on Spotify or Apple Music and look up who plays on what Guns N' Roses song?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »

You make no sense because you assume everyone who will notice GN'R in the future, are only doing so because they know Duff and Slash by name.

Doesn't necessarily, or automatically, mean there's more attention to that album and this album, but definitely that other one.

Because do you honestly think the casual fans will go on Spotify or Apple Music and look up who plays on what Guns N' Roses song?

More than happy to respond to this.  But not before an assurance I can speak freely.

Do I have it?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 05:36:30 PM »

Gee, I wonder what kind of response we're in for if you're that sensitive about assurances.

No, I don't hand out assurances.
Don't be ridiculous. I have no idea what kind of possible drivel you're gonna post.

It was a simple question: Do you think every single person on planet Earth who will come in contact with GN'R will pay enough attention to who plays on what album/track to make choices on what to listen to based on that? Yes/No?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 05:39:56 PM »

Really not going to go through this same tired charade where you get mad I don't answer you...only to do so, then have you mad because you don't like the tone of my answer, or whatever the latest bee in your bonnet is that particular day.

Seems we are at an impasse. 

Just assume you're right and I'm wrong.  Save time.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 05:44:01 PM »

Hahahaha.

It's a yes/no question. Cheesy
Yes, I'm aware. You're not gonna have a discussion. Same thing, every time. I get it.

Let me spell it out for you. If you answer yes, I would say you're naive.
If you answer no, I would say that seems plausible. Not everyone is as invested in the band as we are.

Edited to add: I think the real problem is your contant need to put down the stuff that happened between Slash quitting and him rejoining.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:46:12 PM by jarmo » Logged

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »

More than happy to respond to this.  But not before an assurance I can speak freely.

Do I have it?

You know this is the internet right? It's not like a court of law.  Just say it instead of dragging it out like a drama queen.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 06:07:37 PM »

Do I have it?

You know this is the internet right? It's not like a court of law.  Just say it instead of dragging it out like a drama queen.

I don't remember askin' you a god damn thing!

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 06:13:09 PM »

lol....
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 06:18:52 PM »

I love that line, and its delivery.  Might be my favorite line in a movie full of them.

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »

Another great movie line that seems to sum up the situation every time someone asks you for a response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFxmAdyKcg
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 06:35:32 PM »

Another great movie line that seems to sum up the situation every time someone asks you for a response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFxmAdyKcg

A classic.

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 07:22:37 PM »

And a worst idea was Dr Peper. I remember back then there was a lot more talk about that fiasco than about the album itself
The Dr Pepper thing was NOT anything initiated by the GNR camp. 

Early in the year the Dr Pepper people, in an attempted to jump on the "CD is never going to be released" bandwagon, issued a "joke promotion" saying that if Axl released the album by the end of 2008, Dr Pepper would give everyone in the USA FREE Dr Pepper.  Axl, knowing that CD would be released, called them out on it.  Dr Pepper attempted to renege on their promotion but again was called out on it by the GNR camp and Dr Pepper did agree to issue coupons for a limited time for a 20 oz bottle of FREE Dr Pepper.

I still have my coupon!!!  Grin

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 12:23:56 AM »

/jarmo

Bingo Jarmo!

I'm sometimes difficult myself, but DX... man you take the cake.

Seriously though. If Slash/Duff/Axl release new music, whether it is a couple songs or a full album... and especially a full album, then obviously people will be more aware of the band's previous works.

RIght now there's probably younger people born in 98-2002 or something and don't know much about Guns N' Roses other than the name sounds cool, and now they might be hearing about this "reunion" and research them out etc...

If there's a full on new music and a new album people in general will be very interested in this "Chinese Democracy" album. It will intrigue new people. I'm telling you.

If they do like 10-20 shows, and then just fade away for 2-3 more years and that's it then it wouldn't make that much a difference. Imagine if late this year a new album is in the works or comes out? Articles would be saying "the first Guns N' Roses album since 2008's "Chinese Democracy" etc etc..."

Guess what new fan is going to buy that album? You bet DX ok

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 07:47:50 AM »

Agree. Specially considering the random nature of the playlists. People without a Spotify premium subscription can only listen to songs in random, and if they chose a GNR playlist it will play CD songs along with the older ones. Of course we all know who plays on what, but I bet the casual listener wouldnt tell the difference between the eras on This I Love/Street of Dreams and Breakdown/So Fine.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 09:07:19 AM »

RIght now there's probably younger people born in 98-2002 or something and don't know much about Guns N' Roses other than the name sounds cool, and now they might be hearing about this "reunion" and research them out etc...

And you think that helps the case you are making?

Let's even take your perfect candidate example, this mythical person born between 1998 and 2002.  What, exactly, is that "research" going to show them?

OK, so it looks like these guys broke onto the scene in the late 80s.  They were probably the biggest rock band of their era.  That's what I had heard.  Then, let's see...looks like they drop off the face of the Earth in the mid-90s.  Then Axl comes back in 2001 with a bunch of new faces.  Then, says here, they finally release an album 7 years later done by a cast of thousands, alright. 

But...wait, who are these people?  Just going by my "research" of everything written about this time period....wow, it was not well received, huh?  And it looks like all the stuff written about this reunion talks in terms of this being a more legit operation that can be called Guns N' Roses.

Well, seems to me I need to track down this 'Chinese Democracy' thing if that's the last one.  But looking at these song titles, have I ever heard one of these songs on the radio?  Not ringing a bell, to be honest.  What's the album with 'Welcome To The Jungle' on it?  Oh...wait, its the same one that has 'Sweet Child O' Mine' AND 'Paradise City'??  I should start there, I suppose.

Your perfect hypothetical candidate is not going to read all that and not go right for AFD or the UYI albums?  Under your parameters, they are supposedly taking all this in for the first time, and its all new to them, correct?

Would a younger guy getting into Iron Maiden do similar "research" and make it a priority to track down the Paul Di'Anno and Blaze Bayley stuff?  I tend to think they are going to go pretty much for the first 5 albums with Bruce Dickinson, based on all info available to them.  If they are so knocked out by what they hear, they may then track down that other stuff.  But its not a priority.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 09:43:34 AM »

Nobody's denying that Greatest Hits, Appetite, Lies and the Illusions will get discovered by new fans.

You're the only one saying that some of these same people will make the active choice NOT to listen to certain tracks because they will know what happened to the band.
Hell, chances are some of them won't notice some tracks they're enjoying has a different drummer on them!

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 09:51:17 AM »

I think the disconnect is whether you consider it of paramount important that both eras be seen as peers and need all album to be seen as equals.

I, myself, have never really been swayed by that pitch of what I would label phony relativism.  Nor seen the need for it to be accepted by all.

Not begrudging anyone their opinion on both.  But do question this constant need to swim upstream in terms of getting the general public to accept the contortions you have done in your own head to make it all work out for you.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:52:59 AM by D-GenerationX » Logged

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 10:09:25 AM »

Huh?

This isn't really about what album you prefer or your constant need to put down that particular era of the band.

Most others here are just saying that maybe everyone else doesn't share your need to pigeonhole everything. "Oh, no. I can't listen to this track that just came up on Youtube(Spotify/Apple Music/the radio because I did my research and I don't approve what happened to the band".

I get it. It appears like you carried that chip on your shoulder for two decades. You hung in there, you didn't really like it. You pretended and now you feel like you can be yourself again. Now you seem to think it's more than ok for you to go on and on about how much the last two decades sucked to be you. Well guess what, it isn't.  ok

/jarmo

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: