Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 01:33:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227985 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?  (Read 50905 times)
Manners
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #340 on: January 08, 2016, 08:26:31 PM »

But can you imagine Street of Dreams with Slash on lead? How much better would that song feel?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #341 on: January 08, 2016, 08:27:50 PM »

They should probably think twice about releasing any more music as GN?R unless Izzy is involved in the writing process.

While I like the idea of Izzy writing for GnR, in no way do I think they should not put music out if he isn't involved.    

He wasn't involved in CD and some great songs came out of that.

Having ust watched all of live at the O2 i think we are in are in safe hands with Frank and Richard (he play rythem guiter with so much enthusiasm!) Axls vocals at the O2 were fine, not perfect but fine, Duff will be Duff, it is down to Slash to be Slash! (and be abe to play some CD solos!)

Frank and Richard are great in the band.  

I do agree it would be interesting to hear Slash's take on some CD solos, so hopefully they keep a few of those songs in the setlist.

But can you imagine Street of Dreams with Slash on lead? How much better would  that song feel?

Not sure if better is the word I'd use because Robin's solo in that song is already pretty fantastic.. but I am certainly interested to hear it and know Slash would put his own cool spin on it.
Manners
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #342 on: January 08, 2016, 08:31:10 PM »

Maybe the feel was not the best way of putting it. I look at Ricahrd and think, wow, you are GNR through and through, you look the part, play the part, without doubt you are the part!
Manners
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #343 on: January 08, 2016, 08:32:57 PM »

I cannot but help thinking that some of the songs will sound better with Slash at the helm, not becuase he is a better player but his feel fits GNR more than any other guitar player ever will,
Manners
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #344 on: January 08, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »

The same goes for Steven, he is a legend but has he longevity?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #345 on: January 08, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »

On the original topic.. i think most fans are satisfied.

Being a GnR fan hasn't always been an easy ride.   The fanbase has been splintered but that should start to change with Slash and Duff in the band again.  

Some people of course will never be happy and just look for things to complain about, but you will find that in all areas of life.  crying
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #346 on: January 08, 2016, 08:38:35 PM »

I get your argument about Slash and the songs, the guy is a icon.

But Steven, no.   While his swing on AFD is awesome, I can't imagine he would be reliable for a tour, and no offense to him, I think Frank is probably a better drummer.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #347 on: January 08, 2016, 10:14:41 PM »

They should probably think twice about releasing any more music as GN?R unless Izzy is involved in the writing process.

Come on, while you can't take anything away from what Izzy contributed as far as songwriting goes from 87-91, do you honestly think the rest of the guys are incapable of writing good songs without him?  There is no way you really believe that.

While Izzy's songwriting with GNR was excellent, his  music since he left GN'R has been fucking dreadful. He has put out the same record like 10 times.  I cant even tell the difference between the songs.  The songs don't go anywhere without the other guys contributing.    Axl, Slash and Duff on the other hand have all put some really good songs without Izzy's input.  I understand you are not going to be satisfied unless you get the "Appetite" line up, but I think you are being a little dramatic with that comment.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:18:35 PM by Bodhi » Logged
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #348 on: January 08, 2016, 11:43:04 PM »

I'm not nearly the introspective and self aware when it relates to my constant whining and complaining.
rofl

The fanbase has been splintered but that should start to change with Slash and Duff in the band again.  
Agreed 100%. The fracturing of the fan base into Axl and Slash camps(and all the various sub groups) was the most unfortunate thing about the CD era.

Take you as an example. You were always a great poster but a certain group of people would shit on you just because you preferred Finck over Slash. People would act like that preference alone somehow disqualified your opinion.

Bucket fans took some shit as well once Ron entered the band, and who can forget Nesquick's rantings about how Buckethead was "a freak with no emotion" while at the same time raving on Richard's "beautiful gut wrenching solos" that were actually being played by Buckethead.

Not sure if better is the word I'd use because Robin's solo in that song is already pretty fantastic..
Finck was killer on that 2002 version of the song.

Come on, while you can't take anything away from what Izzy contributed as far as songwriting goes from 87-91, do you honestly think the rest of the guys are incapable of writing good songs without him?  There is no way you really believe that.

While Izzy's songwriting with GNR was excellent, his  music since he left GN'R has been fucking dreadful. He has put out the same record like 10 times.  I cant even tell the difference between the songs.  The songs don't go anywhere without the other guys contributing.    Axl, Slash and Duff on the other hand have all put some really good songs without Izzy's input.  I understand you are not going to be satisfied unless you get the "Appetite" line up, but I think you are being a little dramatic with that comment.

He does have a point though. I don't agree that they cant release anything good without him but when looking at the GNR discography with Izzy and the GNR discography without Izzy you can see why some fans might want him along for the ride and it have nothing to do with needing that AFD lineup onstage.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #349 on: January 08, 2016, 11:50:07 PM »

He does have a point though. I don't agree that they cant release anything good without him but when looking at the GNR discography with Izzy and the GNR discography without Izzy you can see why some fans might want him along for the ride and it have nothing to do with needing that AFD lineup onstage.

Of course we want him along for the ride, who wouldn't want Izzy involved?  I'm just arguing against the idea that Izzy makes or breaks the bands chances of putting out quality Guns N Roses music.  "Chinese" had 6 or 7 of the my favorite GNR songs of all time on it, and Slash and Duff have put out some excellent stuff minus Izzy as well.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #350 on: January 09, 2016, 12:14:50 AM »

Maybe the feel was not the best way of putting it. I look at Ricahrd and think, wow, you are GNR through and through, you look the part, play the part, without doubt you are the part!

I agree.  Of all the new guys, he was the one that would fit best with the old guys.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #351 on: January 09, 2016, 12:18:21 AM »

Of course we want him along for the ride, who wouldn't want Izzy involved?  I'm just arguing against the idea that Izzy makes or breaks the bands chances of putting out quality Guns N Roses music.  "Chinese" had 6 or 7 of the my favorite GNR songs of all time on it, and Slash and Duff have put out some excellent stuff minus Izzy as well.
Certainly. Only Izzy album I love is the Ju Ju album and after that its scattered songs here and there. I LIke a handful of VR songs, Snakepit(first album) was half killer/half filler, and Believe in Me was solid as well.

In Izzy's absence GNR released a covers album, two songs on a soundtrack, and then CD. I'm just assuming this is what LGD meant by that. The fan base is all over the map on their likes and dislikes of CD but while the quality of CD is subjective, the quantity certainly isn't.

I've seen some people not really care whether or not Izzy is involved. Like many I expect him to have a similar involvement just like he's had since 2006. If he jumps in to help write songs, I'd be all over that like Roseanne Barr on a loose meat sandwich but like you, I do think they can do something without his presence.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #352 on: January 09, 2016, 12:19:41 AM »

If they were doing an album, I'd absolutely want Izzy.  Would consider it vital.

For all the years people talked about Axl & Slash patching it up and doing another album...what does that sound like, sans Izzy?  We really have no idea.  I think Izzy is the real glue there, creatively.  

'Locomotive' and 'Coma' are the only 2 straight up Axl/Slash tunes (right?).  Though I'd argue, 'Estranged' should be.  All three, totally amazing songs.  But you can't have an album of just epics.  You need a few album cut rockers.  Your 'Pretty Tied Up's of the world.  Your 'Bad Obsession' type tunes.  That's what I think Izzy brings.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #353 on: January 09, 2016, 12:25:15 AM »

I believe someone just made this same point, but the revolving door routine only bothered me in so much as it always delayed the album release.

Each time someone new came onboard, Axl wanted to get them on the album in some capacity, so that meant more delays.
Yep. It felt like they were hitting the reset button. I remember some people who had been begging for the album for years all of a sudden cheering Bucket's departure and Ron's addition. I was like "You want the album yesterday but now you're happy its gonna be delayed a few years?"  Tongue

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #354 on: January 09, 2016, 12:28:20 AM »

If they were doing an album, I'd absolutely want Izzy.  Would consider it vital.

For all the years people talked about Axl & Slash patching it up and doing another album...what does that sound like, sans Izzy?  We really have no idea.  I think Izzy is the real glue there, creatively.  

'Locomotive' and 'Coma' are the only 2 straight up Axl/Slash tunes (right?).  Though I'd argue, 'Estranged' should be.  All three, totally amazing songs.  But you can't have an album of just epics.  You need a few album cut rockers.  Your 'Pretty Tied Up's of the world.  Your 'Bad Obsession' type tunes.  That's what I think Izzy brings.
Yeah its interesting how its perceived by some fans(especially generally speaking) as Axl/Slash when it's actually Axl/Izzy.

Its bordering on the equivalent of Stones fans considering Jagger/Wood vital while Richards is the expendable one.  hihi

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #355 on: January 09, 2016, 01:01:05 AM »

Yeah its interesting how its perceived by some fans(especially generally speaking) as Axl/Slash when it's actually Axl/Izzy.

Its bordering on the equivalent of Stones fans considering Jagger/Wood vital while Richards is the expendable one.  hihi

I wouldnt go there though.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #356 on: January 09, 2016, 02:30:23 AM »

But can you imagine Street of Dreams with Slash on lead? How much better would that song feel?

Why does it have to feel better? The Blues is one the songs where Robin shined the most. Dj never nearly reached Robin's magnificence. I wouln't be so sure that slash will sound better, in fact, I highly doubt it

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #357 on: January 09, 2016, 02:39:05 AM »

its interesting how its perceived by some fans(especially generally speaking) as Axl/Slash when it's actually Axl/Izzy.

I think it's just a phase every GNR fan has to pass. Their onstage image is too strong.

But once you're decently interiorized, you know it's Axl/Izzy without any doubts.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #358 on: January 09, 2016, 03:17:49 AM »

Why does it have to feel better? The Blues is one the songs where Robin shined the most. Dj never nearly reached Robin's magnificence. I wouln't be so sure that slash will sound better, in fact, I highly doubt it

Why would he have to sound better?

I for one, hope he Slash puts his own take on some of the songs....

Just like the replacements did on all the other guns songs.

There is nothing wrong with it
Annie
« Reply #359 on: January 09, 2016, 08:35:06 AM »

I get your argument about Slash and the songs, the guy is a icon.

But Steven, no.   While his swing on AFD is awesome, I can't imagine he would be reliable for a tour, and no offense to him, I think Frank is probably a better drummer.
Frank is a superior drummer and a much better human being. If the band wants to give Steven some guest spots for posterity then it's all good. I just really wouldn't care to be at that particular show. hihi
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: