Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 07:05:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Does anyone else wish CD had been more experimental?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anyone else wish CD had been more experimental?  (Read 14232 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »

The last point i would make is this.. If Axl released something so far removed from the Guns n Roses most people identify with, and that album wasnt well recieved, Axl would cop 10 times more shit then someone who just released that same album who hadnt had the success hes had. Axl would be a victim of his own great successes.. guess thats just how it works.

I'm not sure I agree with this.

The further you got away from the established GNR sound, the easier a sell it is why the band everyone knows is not on it.

And I don't think expectations are near as high.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2015, 04:31:11 PM »

but Slash has as much to do with CD songs as Axl does with VR songs... squadoosh.

One is released by Guns N' Roses.
The other is not.

Smiley

/jarmo

But it's not out of the ordinary for Axl to sing songs he didn't release, right?  Seeker, Whole lotta Rosie, etc.

IMO, I think it comes down to a (gulp) compromise between Axl, Slash and Duff.  I think if Axl wants a CD song on the setlist,  it's fair for Slash and Duff to want to play a VR song.  Reason being because a reunion tour is to celebrate the careers of the guys in the reunion.  

I think it's that or nothing, they just play the back catalog that they all helped to create.  Or hey, maybe they play some new music.  I'm ok with that, too.   Grin
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »

The last point i would make is this.. If Axl released something so far removed from the Guns n Roses most people identify with, and that album wasnt well recieved, Axl would cop 10 times more shit then someone who just released that same album who hadnt had the success hes had. Axl would be a victim of his own great successes.. guess thats just how it works.

I'm not sure I agree with this.

The further you got away from the established GNR sound, the easier a sell it is why the band everyone knows is not on it.

And I don't think expectations are near as high.

Amongst GNR fans who still hold a current interest like us, or the online facebook/twitter followers which is still quite a lot of people.. i think that it would ring true.

For Gen Y types who like stereosonic and taking a pinga... probably not.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2015, 04:35:44 PM »

Also, I hope people would have more respect for the material than what you assume.
Maybe I have that wish because I personally have more respect for the material than you. I don't know.

I 100% think this is part of it.

Not that I don't respect it, per se.  But if it were ignored entirely, I would shrug it off.  You would not.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2015, 04:40:09 PM »

But it's not out of the ordinary for Axl to sing songs he didn't release, right?  Seeker, Whole lotta Rosie, etc.

You mean songs from bands and artists that influenced him and the band? No, I don't think so.

But if it were ignored entirely, I would shrug it off.  You would not.

Because I'm the one that whines about the setlist....  rofl

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2015, 04:40:57 PM »

FWIW on the current argument about Slash and Duff playing CD stuff... i cant see them going for it too much but they'd probably be willing to bounce a song or 2 in there to meet half way... if Axl insists a couple of those songs are in there.. especially if it's a hybrid tour..etc

I think if there is a reunion tour, any CD stuff on the set-list would be extremely limited. In fact, i think the only song that would make it onto a set-list from that album would Cd itself. (again, just my op)

Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »

FWIW on the current argument about Slash and Duff playing CD stuff... i cant see them going for it too much but they'd probably be willing to bounce a song or 2 in there to meet half way... if Axl insists a couple of those songs are in there.. especially if it's a hybrid tour..etc

I think if there is a reunion tour, any CD stuff on the set-list would be extremely limited. In fact, i think the only song that would make it onto a set-list from that album would Cd itself. (again, just my op)

Agree.  Look, even the most recent lineup only played about 4-5 CD songs.  We're not talking a bunch here.  I would guess 2 tops, and probably from the following list (in no particular order):  TIL, TWAT, Better, CD.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2015, 04:50:44 PM »

Are we saying we'd be disappointed if any sort of reunion your excluded material done post-1993?  Are we THAT dug in?

Or are we just spitballin'?

I don't usually spend time being disappointed about GN'R. So, no...
You're asking the wrong person.  Cheesy

I should have realized you would find enough wiggle room in the term "disappointment" to avoid having to cop to it.

So let's phrase it more "not how you'd prefer it".

Fair?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2015, 04:51:46 PM »

Because I'm the one that whines about the setlist....  rofl

No, just EXTREMELY guarded.

You tend to come across like you think whoever you might be talking to is wearing a wire.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »

Hybrid lineup I see maybe 2 CD songs and a new song from CD 2......Izzy lineup straight 87-91 songs...just my 2...and of course, 10 covers! Arghhhhh.  hihi

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »

You mean songs from bands and artists that influenced him and the band? No, I don't think so.

/jarmo

So in this hypothetical scenario, you do not think it's a reasonable compromise to play both CD songs and VR songs?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »

I should have realized you would find enough wiggle room in the term "disappointment" to avoid having to cop to it.

So let's phrase it more "not how you'd prefer it".

Fair?

To be honest, they could pick any songs from the catalog at any show and it's fine with me.
That's been my motto for quite some time. It's not really a setlist discussion to be honest. Because I wouldn't be disappointed if songs weren't performed.

But you got fans who wonder what the UYI songs would've sounded like with Steven. Now, I bet some fans would wonder how the CD songs would sound with other people as well....

So in this hypothetical scenario, you do not think it's a reasonable compromise to play both CD songs and VR songs?

No.
Not really.

It would still be a GN'R show. Smiley
See, I don't see that big divide that some see... It's all different chapters of the GN'R book to me.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »

In some sense a song like Fall To Pieces does have a connection to Axl as it stems from work Slash did when still in Guns N Roses.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2015, 05:55:48 PM »

So does some of the Snakepit songs...

/jarmo

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2015, 07:00:16 PM »

I was thinking in terms of possible future performances by GNR. Fall To Pieces would rank way above any Snakepit stuff as far as popularity/familiarity goes.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
AHUGEAxlFan
Rocker

« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2015, 07:04:12 PM »

The original Chinese Democracy was cool.

"If you beat them up they'll die"

"Then you'll dig your road back to hell"

Join the new GNR forum. GNRnow.com we need help.

I love gnr, I hope you do to! Great band

-HugeAxlfan
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2015, 10:08:14 PM »

didnt duff comment at some point that he liked cd? i think slash didnt like it so much. but as an above poster pointed out, they dont play much cd material as it is, so i dont think slash or duff would make a big deal out of playing a few cd era songs. i just cant see it being a deal breaker.

what im wondering is where the cd 2 stuff could fit in to all of this. would the cd2 tour and reunion tour have to be done seperately, i wonder? and if so, which would come first?

if cd2 is going to come out, which i think and hope it is, then it makes more sense to me that a reunion tour would come later. to me it would make the most sense for the reunion tour to come at the end, after guns catalogue is completed. it doesnt make as much sense to me to reunite halfway and then carry on with the cd era. or maybe it just seems that way to me right now.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
axlvai
Rocker

« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2015, 11:58:32 PM »

Question: Does anyone else wish CD had been more experimental?

I said: oF Fucking course man!!!!!! Last night i dream about it.... im gonna tell you north people. I was dreaming a stage with GnR and VR, the setlist: Songs of GNR and VR.... more people happy!!!! damn...

Well... back to reality, of fucking  course i want a experimental things!!! GNR surprise me again motherfucker!!!!!! I can wait 20 years more!!!! try me!!

axlvai
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2015, 02:24:45 AM »

Ok.... No i dont wish CD was more experimental. It was too far removed from what most people would call a proper Guns n Roses record as it is.

Happy?

So you're saying that it's already too far, how much of a difference would it make if it's a bit too far, or further than that? 
I mean, for some people either it is, or it isn't. If it isn't, does it matter how much it isn't? Cheesy

/jarmo

i think the same applies for if a reunion doesnt happen and it turns out we see 2 new guitarists. for the people that will only settle for a reunion, they are already out the window. to them it wouldnt make much of a difference if bucket came back or what.

the people willing to roll with a non reunion scenario are basically able to roll with anything i think. i dont see anyone that has been hanging on this long giving up because two new guitarists show up. maybe a few people at most.

and at the same time, even if bucket and robin came back, i dont see that winning people over in droves. basically it seems to me that the biggest consequences will come from whether or not the reunion happens, and anything after that will not have much impact either way save for some articles and message board posts.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2015, 09:31:17 AM »

i think the same applies for if a reunion doesnt happen and it turns out we see 2 new guitarists. for the people that will only settle for a reunion, they are already out the window. to them it wouldnt make much of a difference if bucket came back or what.

the people willing to roll with a non reunion scenario are basically able to roll with anything i think. i dont see anyone that has been hanging on this long giving up because two new guitarists show up. maybe a few people at most.

and at the same time, even if bucket and robin came back, i dont see that winning people over in droves. basically it seems to me that the biggest consequences will come from whether or not the reunion happens, and anything after that will not have much impact either way save for some articles and message board posts.

This all makes sense to me.

The casual or lapsed fans are only coming back for Slash and Duff. 

People like us, we'd love Bucket and/or Robin coming back.  But that is hardly news outside the diehard community.

Axl deciding against any sort of reunion, as well as deciding to solider on with 2 more randos?  Obviously the worst option of the 3.  But it won't cost him any of us.

And, let's not lose sight of the fact that ANY of the 3 options are ALL better than the prospect of not doing a god damn thing. 

Action > Inaction.  Always, always, always.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: