Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:49:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Possible opening bands
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible opening bands  (Read 74324 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: December 30, 2015, 05:38:49 PM »

So, if this stadium tour indeed happens, what are your best bets on opening bands?

Is it more likely to be a "bigger" band than normal due to the size of the venues, or do you think they figure GNR can draw full houses completely on their own?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »

I wonder if the names Axl and Slash together have enough 'industry cred' to pull a band that could typically headline an amphitheater tour who would be willing to take a back seat to GnR just to be along for the ride.

I also wonder if the crossover nature of songs like Sweet Child, Patience, and Paradise City would attract a more 'mainstream' top 40 like act that would also put asses in seats. I feel like anyone that would buy a ticket to a B or C level rock act is already going to buy GnR comeback tickets... BUT could you pull another 20K if you get someone like Adam Levine and Maroon 5 (who will really never play a Stadium Tour) to open... his crowd will know SCOM and will open the classic band up to a whole new audience and generation.

Again I'm not saying Maroon 5, I'm just thinking would a band with a huge following who plays in a slightly different segment of the industry help make the tour a success and potentially get them more/different press at times.

With a few rare exceptions a Skid Row fan is probably already a GnR fan, and will already be there anyway. 60-70K tickets a night is going to be a tall order.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 06:12:18 PM »

I wonder if the names Axl and Slash together have enough 'industry cred' to pull a band that could typically headline an amphitheater tour who would be willing to take a back seat to GnR just to be along for the ride.

Probably, if it was one of those "changing opening acts" thing. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those bands did a few shows. Why not?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 06:16:41 PM »

I think the bands will be bigger names.  If your going big, go BIG. 

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »

I can't see Skid Row being anything other than a 3rd string opener.

Much like 2006, I feel Guns will go for a more modern band (which will have to be bigger than Papa Roach was that year). I can see a more contemporary band like the Black Keys (who have plenty of cred with all age groups), Fallout Boy, Imagine Dragons, or even someone like Vampire Weekend. There has to be a hook, Axl and Slash are both savvy and I expect them to show that with their choice

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 06:19:04 PM »

Like I said in the previous thread, I would love to see Halestorm as  the opening act. They did cover Out Ta Get Me. Also Lizzy has played with Slash and Myles. I saw Halestorm at the Starland Ballroom  a few years ago. They were amazing!
deadtotheworld
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 06:49:14 PM »

Faith no more.... Anyone?  No?  Ok how about:
Van Halen
The Cult
Soundgarden
Alice in chains
A7X
Rage against the machine
Bodycount
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 06:53:01 PM »

Like I said in the previous thread, I would love to see Halestorm as  the opening act. They did cover Out Ta Get Me. Also Lizzy has played with Slash and Myles. I saw Halestorm at the Starland Ballroom  a few years ago. They were amazing!

That's the issue though, what's Starland hold? 1500 people? I just think a 60K+ seat Stadium Tour is going to need a bigger opener than that. I like the Imagine Dragons idea from The New Fiona Apple, they are pop influenced rock band that would add people that wouldn't normally buy a GnR ticket which is what I think is going to be needed to sell their first Stadium Tour of the US in 23 years. Plus if Universal decides to release a larger retrospective Greatest Hits that also includes a new track or two, they 'diverse' audience could lead to greater radio play, streaming, and downloads which would lead to better things in the future...
richbc
Opening Act

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 07:00:35 PM »

How about no opening bands and a 3-hour GNR set? Please not more than one opener!!
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 07:01:48 PM »

Faith no more.... Anyone?  No?  Ok how about:
Van Halen
The Cult
Soundgarden
Alice in chains
A7X
Rage against the machine
Bodycount

If this was an arena tour, sure... I just don't see any one of those adding many more tickets than what GnR would do themselves (the share similar audiences). Did you see DLR during the last tour, I would't want him and that circus in the same city as GnR never mind sharing a stage.

I feel like there are two separate questions at play... who do you want to see open? and who is the best business decision as an opener?
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 07:04:29 PM »

Possibly AX7 - good fit crowd wise...but in no way shape or form do I see Axl wanting the Maroon 5 crowd a part of this

Give me someone with some bite to them - preferably someone who is on the verge of exploding and respects all that is/was Gn'r
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:19:48 PM »

How about no opening bands and a 3-hour GNR set? Please not more than one opener!!

Typically, for a stadium show, you'd get 2 support slots. Sometimes 3.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 07:23:36 PM »

Ghost!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 07:23:53 PM »

That's the issue though, what's Starland hold? 1500 people? I just think a 60K+ seat Stadium Tour is going to need a bigger opener than that. I like the Imagine Dragons idea from The New Fiona Apple, they are pop influenced rock band that would add people that wouldn't normally buy a GnR ticket which is what I think is going to be needed to sell their first Stadium Tour of the US in 23 years. Plus if Universal decides to release a larger retrospective Greatest Hits that also includes a new track or two, they 'diverse' audience could lead to greater radio play, streaming, and downloads which would lead to better things in the future...

Halestorm would be a good fit in the 1st support slot. They are good with the crowd.

I mentioned a bunch of other possibles for the 2nd (main) support slot in the other thread. Afi, my chemical romance, disturbed, paramore, muse, avenged sevenfold, panic at the disco....theres a bunch more that would fit, too.

Together again,
deadtotheworld
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 07:24:07 PM »

Coma - Van Halen was always a circus with DLR - that was the beauty of it... Full on party time band, if you miss the point thats your problem haha besides, outside of hardcore fans, GnR has been more like a touring circus the last 10 years to a lot of people and top it off with a residency in vegas, pole dancing girls and flying piano... to accuse VH being a circus as a diss is quite amusing but then seriously mentioning Maroon 5, you have to be having a laugh!  Smiley
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 07:25:21 PM »

Possibly AX7 - good fit crowd wise...but in no way shape or form do I see Axl wanting the Maroon 5 crowd a part of this

Give me someone with some bite to them - preferably someone who is on the verge of exploding and respects all that is/was Gn'r

In rock?

The pickings are slim, in terms of acts like that (the last bit, on the verge), that would actually draw at a stadium show.  If we were back in the 90s....the cup would runneth over.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:28:15 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 07:27:34 PM »

Coma - Van Halen was always a circus with DLR - that was the beauty of it... Full on party time band, if you miss the point thats your problem haha besides, outside of hardcore fans, GnR has been more like a touring circus the last 10 years to a lot of people and top it off with a residency in vegas, pole dancing girls and flying piano... to accuse VH being a circus as a diss is quite amusing but then seriously mentioning Maroon 5, you have to be having a laugh!  Smiley

I think vh gets left off the list because of the previous crap with Azoff and the tour that wasn't.  Maybe not, but.....thats my gut instinct.

Together again,
deadtotheworld
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 07:32:46 PM »

Im thinking it will be in the same template as guns, metallica, faith no more tour - with like a decent opener and a double header with guns going on last. I could actually imagine foo fighters doing it, i know their was animosity in the past but if dave grohl can possibly get any more publicity for himself he will whore himself out regardless of if his band is a bigger draw than gnr in recent years.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 07:33:27 PM »

Van Halen couldn't open for Guns though right?

If anything it would've been as co-headliners.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 07:34:27 PM »

I saw them around 2010/2011/2012. It was the earlier part of this decade.  Since then, they have played in Rock in Rio and Central Park.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:39:26 PM by draguns » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: