Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:45:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Possible opening bands
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible opening bands  (Read 74385 times)
stvyrayvhn
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »

If this actually happens, you are going to be looking at huge crowds that are buzzing with excitement found at no other rock concert.  I don't think it would be conducive to the show to have an opening act, unless Axl is pulling his old shtick of showing up hours late.  But assuming he shows up at a reasonable time, there's no need for an opening act.

Several people suggested Halestorm, and I love them too, but I worry about how any opening act would be treated by the crowd, even if it's a good band.  Unfortunately, Guns N Roses fans don't exactly have the reputation of being the most polite fans in the world, so again, maybe it's better that they don't have an opening act.

Dead on accurate...  Seriously there's going to be too much anticipation for GNR to have ANY opening act...  This is too big...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2015, 04:42:58 PM »

I say this in all seriousness, but in the sprit of reconciliation and with what happened recently, how about The Eagles of Death Metal?

No to put them down due to what happened in France,  but I don't think (as Axl called them)  the pigeons of shit metal will share a stage with Axl ever again.

I also think the people who think GnR are going to sell out 60-70k+ seat stadiums in the US need to have a quick reality check.  Yes this is huge news in rock,  but rock isn't huge any more. They will need help filling seats. These aren't 15k seat arenas. The additional people who are going to fill those seats have a very limited knowledge of what this band has been up to over the last 20 years,  and for some of them the only news they remember is bad news. They are going to worry about no shows, walk outs,  riots,  late starts, etc... This why why I think this tour needs to 'break the mold'  it can't be mildly popular rock bands,  and certainly can't be 80's and 90's retreads. If this falls flat early on it could cut it short. Not to say the US dates would get cancelled,  but future dates may be hurt.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:52:58 PM by C0ma » Logged
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2015, 05:07:14 PM »

I say this in all seriousness, but in the sprit of reconciliation and with what happened recently, how about The Eagles of Death Metal?

No to put them down due to what happened in France,  but I don't think (as Axl called them)  the pigeons of shit metal will share a stage with Axl ever again.

I also think the people who think GnR are going to sell out 60-70k+ seat stadiums in the US need to have a quick reality check.  Yes this is huge news in rock,  but rock isn't huge any more. They will need help filling seats. These aren't 15k seat arenas. The additional people who are going to fill those seats have a very limited knowledge of what this band has been up to over the last 20 years,  and for some of them the only news they remember is bad news. They are going to worry about no shows, walk outs,  riots,  late starts, etc... This why why I think this tour needs to 'break the mold'  it can't be mildly popular rock bands,  and certainly can't be 80's and 90's retreads. If this falls flat early on it could cut it short. Not to say the US dates would get cancelled,  but future dates may be hurt.

The tour promoters use market analyzers to determine demand before they book tours. These people know what to look for and can in most cases give good predictions on ticket sales. The support acts will also count in a predicted total draw.

If they are booking a GNR stadium tour, it won't be just because they are hopeful people will buy tickets.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
overmatik
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2015, 08:23:24 PM »

Rock N Roll as a mainstream genre is dead in America, period. The buzz generated by the band's reunion has been massive and it will only increase, but there is absolutely no way GNR can do a Stadium Tour in America by themselves, not a chance.  no

Yes, Kiss did it, but this isn't 1996 anymore. They'll need a big co-headliner or a new band that can attract kids and hipsters. Of course, there are stadiums of all sizes and shapes so it may well be smaller ones, perhaps.

Have a look at the top 25 tours of 2014 in America: http://www.billboard.com/files/media/bb42-charts-touring-top-25-tours-2014-billboard-960.jpg
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:31:32 PM by overmatik » Logged
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2015, 08:44:58 PM »

Rock N Roll as a mainstream genre is dead in America, period. The buzz generated by the band's reunion has been massive and it will only increase, but there is absolutely no way GNR can do a Stadium Tour in America by themselves, not a chance.  no

Yes, Kiss did it, but this isn't 1996 anymore. They'll need a big co-headliner or a new band that can attract kids and hipsters. Of course, there are stadiums of all sizes and shapes so it may well be smaller ones, perhaps.

Have a look at the top 25 tours of 2014 in America: http://www.billboard.com/files/media/bb42-charts-touring-top-25-tours-2014-billboard-960.jpg

I agree.  If they want to pack stadiums, they need another popular act who is relevant.  Skid Row for example is NOT one of those.  Of the older bands who are relevant, your talking Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Metallica, and a few others.  If it's not an older band who is relative today, than I think it's got to be a newer band.  Maybe someone like Muse, but not sure they are big enough.  And if they aren't, which newer rock band is?  Maybe nobody...that's how bad rock is
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:50:39 PM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2015, 08:48:53 PM »

Personally I'd like it to be a double act Chilli Peppers would be great IMO and the fan base demographic would be similar
overmatik
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »

Personally I'd like it to be a double act Chilli Peppers would be great IMO and the fan base demographic would be similar

The Peppers last major tour was in 2012 and they averaged 13072 people per concert, so a joint tour would easily average 35 to 40k per concert, I'd guess...

We should also consider as a great possibility any of the guys that played on Slash's solo album, specially the more pop ones.
alexander
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2015, 09:07:53 PM »

Rishloo......... and I would die happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2015, 10:06:21 PM »

I am a huge Weezer fan.  They put on a good live show as well.  They also have a new album coming out. 

So...

My updated set is. 

Bush 45 mins
Weezer 45 mins
Kid Rock 1 hr
Guns N Roses 3 hrs
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2015, 10:07:06 PM »

I like Weezer.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
ericy210
Headliner

What's up..... homefuck!

« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2015, 10:10:20 PM »

I suspect promoters will want a huge opener, maybe almost a doubly eyeliner.
For that size of an investment, and with plans to sell out stadiums (I assume), having a major draw would be good insurance for potential soft asked.

Iowa City 1993, Leeds 2002, Quad Cities 2002, Chicago 2002, NYC 2006, Lisbon 2006, London 2006, Donnington 2006, Wembley 2006, Chicago 2006, Toronto 2010, Chicago 2011, Chicago 2012, Chicago 2016 x 2
Jeramy
Rocker

« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2016, 01:41:26 AM »

I kinda like the reunited Skid Row idea

"He's in my band, that's where Slash is, fuckhead. Go home!"
sandman
Legend

« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2016, 10:55:51 AM »

About 10 of the top 25 on that list are rock bands. I wouldn't say rock is dead as a mainstream genre in america.

GnR with Slash back in the band will fill stadiums. Promoters do their research. They know this.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2016, 11:08:02 AM »

Replacements, Hookers and blow and dead daisies combo.  Rewarding um for their commitment for keeping the band alive. ok
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »

About 10 of the top 25 on that list are rock bands. I wouldn't say rock is dead as a mainstream genre in america.

GnR with Slash back in the band will fill stadiums. Promoters do their research. They know this.

They are mainly older bands.  The point is, there is very little good NEW rock.  That list proves that there is a craving for good rock n roll

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
sandman
Legend

« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »

Actually, i just realized that list is worldwide ticket sales. Not america only. Cause no way did justin timberlake play 111 shows in america in 2014. My guess is that a list of american tours would look similar though with a healthy dose of rock (mostly older classic rock, gnr's exact category), a number of pop acts, and some country.

Despite what some have argued over the years on this board, the live concert business is strong in the U.S. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Headliner

Do you know where the f@*k you are?

« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2016, 12:26:27 PM »

Faith no more.... Anyone?  No?  Ok how about:
Van Halen
The Cult
Soundgarden
Alice in chains
A7X
Rage against the machine
Bodycount

Van Halen and the Cult are not opening for a "reunion" tour for GNR.  Mike Patton said the tour with GNR and Metallica was a shitshow.  FNM is out. Soundgarden might do it as they opened on the UYI tour.  AIC without Layne doesn't generate enough interest or audience.  A7X, who cares? Rage hasn't played in a few years. Bodycount isn't the same now that most of the original members are gone. So, Soundgarden by default?!?!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Headliner

Do you know where the f@*k you are?

« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2016, 12:31:52 PM »

I for once would love for it to be Alice Cooper and Skid Row, but I think they will get a new band to bring some young kids and hipsters to the gigs.

Oh yeah, what about The Cult? They have just released a new album.  beer

1. The Cult album does not get released until February
2. Ian and Billy are purists.  They don't want or need to open for anyone.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2016, 01:37:52 PM »

Faith no more.... Anyone?  No?  Ok how about:
Van Halen
The Cult
Soundgarden
Alice in chains
A7X
Rage against the machine
Bodycount

Van Halen and the Cult are not opening for a "reunion" tour for GNR.  Mike Patton said the tour with GNR and Metallica was a shitshow.  FNM is out. Soundgarden might do it as they opened on the UYI tour.  AIC without Layne doesn't generate enough interest or audience.  A7X, who cares? Rage hasn't played in a few years. Bodycount isn't the same now that most of the original members are gone. So, Soundgarden by default?!?!

Soundgarden likely would have no interest in opening for Gn'r
eyemojo
Opening Act

« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2016, 01:53:36 PM »

Black Crowes or Queens of the Stone Age
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:27:04 PM by eyemojo » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: