Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:03:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Possible opening bands
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible opening bands  (Read 74362 times)
richbc
Opening Act

« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2016, 03:04:33 PM »

So far I have only seen stadiums and arenas as a possibility. Given it is speculated as a summer US tour, has anyone considered amphitheaters as a viable option? Seem more appropriately scaled.

Regarding the opener, I have never seen an opener as a draw to buy tix (unless it is a co-headliner). Thus not a consideration for me.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2016, 03:09:50 PM »

Regarding the opener, I have never seen an opener as a draw to buy tix (unless it is a co-headliner). Thus not a consideration for me.

Not at smaller concerts no. Openers are usually smaller, sometimes unknown bands.

But when we're talking about stadium shows with a pretty sizable opener, it would help to draw people. Especially if ticket prices are high. Casual fans sitting on the fence might have an incentive to go then if they feel they get more bang for the buck.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
richbc
Opening Act

« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2016, 03:41:44 PM »

You mentioned a key difference. I assume we are not casual fans - I certainly am not. Thus I have little interest sitting through hours of openers I could care less about while "fighting" casual fans for quality tix in a 60,000 person venue.

I guess I have been spoiled seeing them in small venues such as The Joint, HOB, and Metropolis. Travelling to the US to see them in a stadium environment is difficult to stomach.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »

Yeah, I was speaking in general while you saw it from your (our) perspective I suppose.  Smiley

Sweetness is a virtue
richbc
Opening Act

« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2016, 03:54:09 PM »

Yeah, I was speaking in general while you saw it from your (our) perspective I suppose.  Smiley

Point taken.

That said, If I have to take time off work and spend thousands of dollars to travel from Canada to see my favourite band, I selfishly see things from my perspective.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2016, 03:59:22 PM »

Point taken.

That said, If I have to take time off work and spend thousands of dollars to travel from Canada to see my favourite band, I selfishly see things from my perspective.

Oh there's no doubt you, me and pretty much everyone here will probably stretch far in order to attend shows. Hopefully we'll get pre-sale privileges on gunsnroses.com (and I can get access to my account there in time for that... haha).

Sweetness is a virtue
overmatik
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2016, 09:48:36 PM »

Rock N Roll as a mainstream genre is dead in America, period. The buzz generated by the band's reunion has been massive and it will only increase, but there is absolutely no way GNR can do a Stadium Tour in America by themselves, not a chance.  no

Yes, Kiss did it, but this isn't 1996 anymore. They'll need a big co-headliner or a new band that can attract kids and hipsters. Of course, there are stadiums of all sizes and shapes so it may well be smaller ones, perhaps.

Have a look at the top 25 tours of 2014 in America: http://www.billboard.com/files/media/bb42-charts-touring-top-25-tours-2014-billboard-960.jpg

About 10 of the top 25 on that list are rock bands. I wouldn't say rock is dead as a mainstream genre in america.

GnR with Slash back in the band will fill stadiums. Promoters do their research. They know this.

Actually, i just realized that list is worldwide ticket sales. Not america only. Cause no way did justin timberlake play 111 shows in america in 2014. My guess is that a list of american tours would look similar though with a healthy dose of rock (mostly older classic rock, gnr's exact category), a number of pop acts, and some country.

Despite what some have argued over the years on this board, the live concert business is strong in the U.S. 

Yep, you're right, that's worldwide. That's the one for America only, and there's 200 instead of 25. Not much difference, though, look at the average attendance for the rock acts:

http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/charts2014/2014YearEndTop200NorthAmericanTours.pdf
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2016, 10:05:43 PM »

http://www.nme.com/news/acdc--2/90552

If AC/DC can be the No 1 act for selling the most tickets, I'm sure GNR can do this as well.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2016, 10:12:37 PM »

Faith no more.... Anyone?  No?  Ok how about:
Van Halen
The Cult
Soundgarden
Alice in chains
A7X
Rage against the machine
Bodycount

Van Halen and the Cult are not opening for a "reunion" tour for GNR.  Mike Patton said the tour with GNR and Metallica was a shitshow.  FNM is out. Soundgarden might do it as they opened on the UYI tour.  AIC without Layne doesn't generate enough interest or audience.  A7X, who cares? Rage hasn't played in a few years. Bodycount isn't the same now that most of the original members are gone. So, Soundgarden by default?!?!
After Cornell's solo tour they are going to spend 2016 working on a new Soundgarden album.

Doubtful they would open in 2016 although we can certainly have wet dreams of a SG/GNR tour in 2017.

Sixx AM would be my choice...
Ugh. I hope Ashba stays a light year away from GNR.

I think a more modern act makes sense since they are trying to fill up very big stadiums.
I agree 1000%

ID be good with The Pretty Reckless

Same here. It's the only current rock band I know.  hihi

Probably, if it was one of those "changing opening acts" thing. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those bands did a few shows. Why not?

/jarmo

Yeah just do it like the Stones have on previous tours. That would open it up to a wide range of acts.

If/when doing UK dates I wish they could talk Elastica into doing a brief reunion.

GNR reunion and Elastica reunion are at the top of my music bucket list.

eyemojo
Opening Act

« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2016, 04:50:20 AM »

A band from Ohio called Electric Citizen would be good.
gnrrock
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2016, 07:54:03 PM »

Avenged Sevenfold would be a good choice. They are fans of GNR and have a solid fan base.
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2016, 10:26:50 PM »

Not that i think any of these bands will do it but would love to see:

Volbeat
Sevendust
Killswitch engage
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2016, 10:28:47 PM »

I like Volbeat. Another new band that has a god deal of popularity. At least they did last I checked.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2016, 10:30:35 PM »

Volbeat has come on strong here in the states they have opened for metallica and i love their music it s like johnny cash meets metallica when they were good only problem with them though is their bassist either was fired/quit so unfortunately highly unlikely
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2016, 10:32:13 PM »

Maybe they bring along limp bizkit since good ole fred was the one who brought them back together right?  hihi
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »

Volbeat has come on strong here in the states they have opened for metallica and i love their music it s like johnny cash meets metallica when they were good only problem with them though is their bassist either was fired/quit so unfortunately highly unlikely

Volbeat would be a good call. They may be a little too big to be an opener, but I'd be pretty happy with this band being a part of this.
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2016, 11:38:39 PM »

http://www.nme.com/news/acdc--2/90552

If AC/DC can be the No 1 act for selling the most tickets, I'm sure GNR can do this as well.

Biggest diffrence is GnR has to prove themselves to the masses that the shows will happen. 

GnR did a good job getting the fans out between 2006-2013 but there is still a ton of negetive feelings regarding GnR no shows from decades past.  And even at those shows there are those who were very angry at the late start times especually in 2006. 
Personally I loved it but I also knew to expect it.

I would not be shocked to see soft ticket sales at a few of the venues until a few shows actually happen and people see the shows happening.  Espcially for those looking to travel. 

overmatik
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2016, 01:00:23 AM »

Damn, it seems a Skid Row reunion will never happen. I mean, if they don't get together to open for Guns in their reunion tour what will it take?  Angry

New SKID ROW Singer Rumor: Ex-DRAGONFORCE Vocalist ZP THEART

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/new-skid-row-singer-rumor-ex-dragonforce-vocalist-zp-theart/#4FbVQvm4quqp8pmy.99
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2016, 01:24:05 AM »

Volbeat would be a good call. They may be a little too big to be an opener, but I'd be pretty happy with this band being a part of this.

Too big?  I've never heard of them....maybe I've heard them
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:28:32 AM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2016, 01:57:41 AM »

maybe Velvet Revolver, or Buckethead, or Tommy Stinson or Sixx AM :O

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: