Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:43:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who else is extremely sad about Tommy's departure?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who else is extremely sad about Tommy's departure?  (Read 23231 times)
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »

because axl basically admits that he was overexagerating his differences with Slash... or was so nearsighted and immature not to predict that one day he might regret it or change his mind.
People who actually believed Axls reasons for dissing Slash obviously feel like they believed in bullshit... and feel even more foolish after "spreading the Axl gospel" for all these years.
I'm sure a handful of people do feel foolish. They certainly looked foolish. Some people spent years(and thousand of posts) doing nothing but post "not in this lifetime", "Slash prostitutes himself for fortune and shame",etc. as a reply to any post. That's literally all they did.

Now look what's on the horizon?

You cant blame Axl for that. Its your fault for taking the comments so seriously. You probably took it even more seriously than Axl did. There's nothing wrong with Axl moving forward with his life or changing his mind about something.

Hell... these same types thought he hated Buckethead after he bailed in 2004. In 2008 Axl wanted to share a Dr Pepper with him. Do you blame Axl for that too?

One of the morals of the story is perseverance and integrity. With reunion... Axl lost a great piece of those.
Bullshit.

definition of integrity is not up for debate. if you yield... you loose it. - simple as that.

as for believing... and everything else. I dont take it personally, and I dont blame anyone (as I already stated).
But I'm sorry that project failed, since I was fan of the CD mythology, and was hoping for it to have a romantic ending, where the underdog manages to achieve glory against all odds.

In this case, the underdog teams up with the guy that "bullied" him, and nothing romantic about that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 02:09:23 PM by Lucky » Logged

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2016, 02:09:45 PM »

Sad ? Yea. I liked Tommy in GN'R. He was a good fit. Thing is, I expect him to come back for a guest spot or two at some point. I don't think this is really a bitter ending. It was a good gig for him, and he also went back to the 'Mats not that long ago. So he's had a lot of closure, and is hopefully in a good spot.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2016, 02:10:46 PM »

Sad to see Tommy gone....But I love Duff too! Noe that's a luxury problem. Of the "new" members, I still follow  Bumble and Tommy, and Buckethead from time to time.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2016, 02:11:13 PM »

I don't go too overboard with the "respect" angle when it comes to Axl Rose.  He's a dude that sings songs I like.  He's not my spirit guide or my mentor.

But, having said that, I'd have to say I have a hard time saying I would respect a guy more for holding on to a silly grudge for the rest of his life than I would for a guy that grew up and moved past it.

How is the former admirable?  Isn't the latter a better place to be as a human being?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Lucky
Legend

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2016, 02:19:51 PM »

that "human being" stuff is newage bs

just because you forgave someone something, doesnt mean you are instantly best friends... or that you'd give em a second chance.
basically "you are fogiven, now GTF out of my way" is better then "you made me angry, and I hated you, said shit about you, but now I think I was wrong... so lets get back togather"  - thats what girls do.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 02:22:21 PM by Lucky » Logged

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2016, 02:26:31 PM »

that "human being" stuff is newage bs

just because you forgave someone something, doesnt mean you are instantly best friends... or that you'd give em a second chance.
basically "you are fogiven, now GTF out of my way" is better then "you made me angry, and I hated you, said shit about you, but now I think I was wrong... so lets get back togather"  - thats what girls do.

Didn't it ever strike you odd that Axl would never really elaborate on what supposedly had him so livid?

It was always some variation of "oh, he knows what he did...", right?

How many times did we all say it was hard to know how legit his beefs were since he never clarified them?

I even went a step further.  The longer it went on, I think he saw it was kind of silly, but was too dug in for too long.  I think he'd have felt silly telling us the real reson, because even he knew people might likely roll their eyes over it.

Regardless of how he got where he is now with Slash, I think you have to applaud it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2016, 02:30:42 PM »

I lump Tommy in with all of them in one regard.

Tommy, Robin, DJ, Ron, Brain : people I paid not one second of attention to before they joined the band, and resumed that total lack of interest the minute they left.

The only exception was Buckethead.  I was so impressed with his playing, I did check out some of his other stuff.  Can't say I listen to it all that often, but he at least held my attention, however briefly, even outside the GNR umbrella.

Tommy and Buckethead were the two exceptions for me (well, and Robin, to some extent, due to NIN..but even then, that's more Trent's thing).

I knew Tommy because I know the 'Mats, and knew of them long before his stint in GnR.

Buckethead because, again, I knew his virtuoso stuff before his involvement with GnR.  Still listen to his stuff because he's insanely talented.

On a different note: Tommy is the ONE guy I'm VERY sad to see depart the most recent incarnation.  I like DJ well enough, and like the SIXX AM stuff, too....but his departure I can live with.

Tommy?  Man, that one hurt.  That, to me, was the sign that something was brewing because, to me, he seemed like a lifer.

Yeah, I was also a fan of the Mats before he was in GNR, someone had said that Tommy was the backbone of the replacements and when I heard Village Gorilla Head I understood why, that album is awesome !

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2016, 02:36:01 PM »

I was very impressed with Buckethead in GNR, however his albums are what I call masturbation atari music. I get it you are a talented weirdo.
But with GNR his talent was channeled in a pretty cool way, on songs like Madagascar and Twat.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2016, 02:38:39 PM »

I was very impressed with Buckethead in GNR, however his albums are what I call masturbation atari music. I get it you are a talented weirdo.
But with GNR his talent was channeled in a pretty cool way, on songs like Madagascar and Twat.

You just sorta defined virtuoso style guitar music.  I mean, there are exceptions...and not all sound like atari music.  But..yeah..pretty much.

You either like it, or you don't.  Ain't no thing.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2016, 02:42:48 PM »

Mainly because i would pick Tommy over Duff anyday of the week, as i would pick Bumble, Dj and Robin over Slash anyday of the week.

Dear God. That is so sad...really.

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »

im not super hyped to see a middle aged version of the ritz 1988 show when the original is on youtube.
this.

So you only want the middle aged singer then ?
I was not in the ritz in 1988 nor i was in Vegas in 2014 when they played some 3,5h shows., but i have enjoyed the hell out of some bootlegs from 2014 compared to 80s ones. I belive they were a much stronger band in 2014.

What i want to see is something new, something interesting. Not a total nostalgia show about how cool they were in 1988. Im afraid its going to be like that, i really hope its not.

Lets wait and see.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2016, 02:53:29 PM »

What i want to see is something new, something interesting. Not a total nostalgia show about how cool they were in 1988. Im afraid its going to be like that, i really hope its not.

I think trying to label 'Appetite For Residency' as some bold, forward thinking endeavor is sort of a stretch.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2016, 02:56:51 PM »

I think Tommy supports the reunion wholeheartedly, this based on comments he's made in the past. He got to experience his own reunion as well, so he probably knows how it feels.

I can't imagine anything else than them parting as friends. Tommy seems like a real grounded guy, so I don't think he feels betrayed or anything.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2016, 03:14:07 PM »

Mainly because i would pick Tommy over Duff anyday of the week, as i would pick Bumble, Dj and Robin over Slash anyday of the week.

Dear God. That is so sad...really.
Just as sad as people preferring Duff over Tommy in 1998.

Tommy won some fans over, not that its a competition. Now ill see if the King of beers, can do the same.

We all have our fav songs, albums, drummers ect. Dosent mean that Jungle is a better song than Prostitute, its a question of preference.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:16:31 PM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2016, 03:26:30 PM »

Thank you all guys for the replies. I have read them all carefully  Smiley

i cant help but think that this is the day GNR stopped being exciting.

I agree with you in everything you said.

But, regarding this particular sentence, I think GNR will be exciting in a different way: the nostalgic atmosphere will bring massive audiences, giant stadiums, lots of new fans, huge media coverage, and ''our band'' will be back in the big leagues again. Good to presume with our friends  Grin

The thing is I cant see life after an hypothetical future Axl-Slash fight.

In the other side, with this hybrid reunion the hopes of seeing new ChiDem-Era stuff are over.

From 2001-2007, Axl bet for the future. IMHO, something changed when DJ entered the band: there was a HUGE blink to the past with his inclussion. Now, in 2015, Axl bets for the past. Im not saying ''future'' is inherently ''good'' and ''past'' is ''bad''. Im just saying how I see things.

What i want to see is something new, something interesting. Not a total nostalgia show about how cool they were in 1988.

Exactly my thoughts.

REAL fans support GNR no matter what the lineup is..............

Agreed! That's why im already working to diggest this, because I will be supporting this band like I always did. Can't say the same of a lot of ''top posters'' in this forum.

Maby it's just a temporary "reunion" and he will return in 2017 or 2018? I hope so.

I'm not sure they can go back to a lineup without Slash and Duff after bringing them back. It would be a pretty tough sell.

That's impossible. From now on, GNR will exist the time Axl and Slash can endure together in the same room. I see this is a collosal timebomb.

And now, please stop your whining. You're floating the board with all your negativity. rofl Sorry, couldn't resist. But I think I know you from the past.

I have almost 5000 posts in this message board, and have belonged to it for more than a decade. You have registered 4 months ago.

Can you please tell me how many times have I been ''negative'' and ''whiny'' regarding GNR in these 10+ years?

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2016, 03:50:05 PM »

IMHO, something changed when DJ entered the band: there was a HUGE blink to the past with his inclussion.

I agree that DJ's inclusion was problematic, but the change started when Buckethead left and his replacement, Ron, just did not fit in.  But the real hammer was losing Finck.  Just like Axl had said that he could not continue working on the mid-90s material without Slash, I think he discovered that the same logic applied in trying to develop the unreleased CD material without BH and Finck.  Those guys have a very unique way of playing, there's no imitations of them, not even bad imitations.  So they not only lost those 2 guys but the 2 guys who could not quite replace them.  So where could the band have gone from there?  Reboot it all again with 2 new guitarists?  No, this was the best that could have happened.  And I feel fairly confident that we're going to get incredibly great new music out of this.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2016, 03:51:13 PM »

I'd get extremely sad if someone I love would pass away. Tommy stepping aside gets a huge thumbs up and a thank you for what he has done.   ok
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2016, 04:24:34 PM »

I'd get extremely sad if someone I love would pass away.

are you able to understand contexts? we are in a GNR message board, and you have more than 10K posts... yes, it's only a rock and roll band... geez...

What a waste of a post...

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
ben9785
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2016, 04:29:59 PM »

I don't feel sad but he was an anchor within the preceding lineups, and I guess it's a shame that the various business or legal issues prevented them from moving forward sooner with more new material, promotion etc.
Lucky
Legend

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2016, 04:30:09 PM »

Didn't it ever strike you odd that Axl would never really elaborate on what supposedly had him so livid?

actually no. It was personal, and I never cared for the details nor did it concern me. All I/We could do is, either accept his stance, or refuse it.
The things got a bit awkward with all the name calling etc.

I always had high opinion of Axl... and unfortunately... reuniting just to go for the sake of a tour is something I'd expect from Motley Crue. Not Axl.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: