Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:54:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228063 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who else is extremely sad about Tommy's departure?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who else is extremely sad about Tommy's departure?  (Read 23238 times)
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« on: January 05, 2016, 03:17:04 AM »

I'm gonna be honest: i am not as happy as 99% of you. And the 1% that may feel like me is not gonna express their feelings here.

Not trying to spoil anyone's happiness, but I got to say im VERY sad about not having Tommy in the band anymore.

I also think we're being a bit ungrateful to him: he helped rebuild the band when no one gave two shits for it, he was a key part of the band's reconstruction, and was a very important piece creatively wise in the ChiDem making. Now he's gone, and I don't see anybody -at least- thanking him for all what he did.

There are certain things we still dont know but I cant stop asking myself. I will put in bold my questions to you:

- Were DJ and Tommy forced to leave the band, so Slash and Duff could come back? (ron started to give bad signals from looong time ago, he clearly was having a nightmare being a GNR member and it's safe to say he wanted to develop his solo career, that's why I dont include him in this equation)

- Don't you think it's hard to understand how Axl could solve his problems with Slash after the immense amount of shit he spread all over him, issues that seemed irreversible for anyone with two working neurons? But now Slash is in the band and Matt Sorum isn't. Do you think Matt could have been asked to join the band and refused? Very unlikely. He most certainly wasn't asked. I know Axl and Matt are not exactly best friends but, until today, their issues were nothing compared to Axl vs. Slash. So, don't you think this ''hybrid'' lineup is, at least, VERY difficult to understand? Needless to say i dont want Matt in the band. I'm happy about Frank, in fact, i am desperately needing his confirmation...

- Do any of you feel A DESPERATE NEED for an explanation (even though it's obvious they dont have to explain us jack shit)? Or as long as Slash and Axl are back together, you dont need anything else? Do any of you feel (idk if this is the correct word, not a native english speaker) a little bit ''betrayed'' or ''used'', after spending a decade (and more) backing up Axl against Slash and all the harm he did to the band in the past (not something I say: Axl said it several times in different moments/ways)?

- If Axl and Slash's relationship don't go well in the long term, it's pretty safe to say Slash can move back to his solo project. But, can Axl continue GN'R without him after this partial ''reunion''? Do any of you, like me, think that GNR's life now depends on how much Axl and Slash can coexist in the same room?

i'm still diggesting all the things that have happened in the last days, specially the last hours. Just wanted to know your thoughts about these things.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:34:32 AM by estebanf » Logged

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 03:38:48 AM »

count me in, I'm just massively shocked by this twist of events.
on the other hand, I can quite feel why all this happened - hardly anybody enjoys 20 years in a band, that doesn't actually release stuff normally (I still think ChiDem release was forced by recording company or something like that). so it collapsed again. and one more thing - I don't think DJ or Tommy quit suddenly, it must have been long process. remember - there were so many guys in this band, who quit, most probably because nothing was happening. Robin, Bucket, Robin again, Ron, DJ, Tommy.
regarding the reunion - my guess is just that somebody just ran out of money, because it doesn't make any other sense at all. the worst thing about all this is - we most probably never see the material recorded during ChiDem era.

ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 03:44:01 AM »

tommy is definitely the man. theres no denying that. i dont think he was forced to leave. i think he chose the mats over gnr, and duff was there to take over when he did. i have no qualms with his choice. its his life. but if duff wanted in after all these years and was there when the band needed him, then maybe he deserves a shot. if anything comes up with guns in the future, im sure tommy could find his way back in. i dont see this as an either or thing. i think of gnr as a big extended family, and i kind of like it that way. tommy could still record, write, or do shows when hes needed. i dont see duffs entry as an ultimate tommy exclusion.

i think dj chose sixx am over gnr. i heard nikki sixx forced him to choose. i think sixx am was the more promising gig for him (guaranteed 2 years touring and 2 albums from what I heard, could be wrong), so thats where he ended up. i liked certain aspects of dj. his treatment of handicapped and homeless people was awesome. but at the same time, ive got no qualms with slash picking up where he left off.

we dont really know whats going on yet. the reunion could just be a temporary thing. if slash ends up returning to his band but on good terms, i think the public would be less critical of axl in the future.

i am a little bummed that the reunion seems to have swallowed up cd 2 and the cd remix, but im glad the band is getting so much attention, im hapy theres still stuff going on, and as i said, we really dont know whats going on.

a while back, no one could have imagined this would have happened. so how can we possibly try to guess what will happen next? anything could happen at this point.

i dont feel betrayed. people kiss and make up all the time. thats life, and probably for the better. if this is what axl thought was best for guns, he was probably onto something.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:46:36 AM by rj seitz » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 03:45:23 AM »

To answer the main question, I'm not extremely sad, because Duff is in my opinion one of the best bassists there is. Maybe not technically, but I have always loved his sound and style. Especially live! That's something Tommy (to me) seems to lack. But on the other hand I do feel that Tommy did not get all the credit he deserved/deserves. Although I don't know if he really gives a shit, seems like a true and easy going guy who's doing what he feels like.

Was someone forced out of the band? I don't know. Seems like they all had some other projects going on anyway. For all we know, it could be the other way around too; Tommy, Dj and Ron getting tired and frustrated with the situation and looking for something else to do, leaving the rest of the guys to find replacements.

But maybe it all went down in good terms..? Maybe it wasn't all fighting and backstabbing? Maybe they're all happy with the current situation Smiley

Do any of you feel a little bit ''betrayed'' or ''used'', after spending a decade (and more) backing up Axl against Slash and all the harm he did to the band in the past (not something I say: Axl said it several times in different moments/ways)?

People grow up. They get over things. They talk and they understand. They ask for forgiveness and they forgive. They find ways to go on and get along.

The funniest thing to me is that some of the fans (so called "true fans") who have bashed anyone who has said anything bad about the 2001-2015 era GN'R are now crying because the lineup has changed and they feel betrayed. Of course they have the right to feel bad, but what ever happened to the "I'm with the band no matter what, because I am a true fan, I don't care who's in the band!" hihi This was not directed to you estebanf, just a general observation Smiley

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 03:49:22 AM »

But maybe it all went down in good terms..? Maybe it wasn't all fighting and backstabbing? Maybe they're all happy with the current situation Smiley

definitely see that as a possibility.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 03:50:11 AM »

To answer the main question, I'm not extremely sad, because Duff is in my opinion one of the best bassists there is. Maybe not technically, but I have always loved his sound and style. Especially live! That's something Tommy (to me) seems to lack. But on the other hand I do feel that Tommy did not get all the credit he deserved/deserves. Although I don't know if he really gives a shit, seems like a true and easy going guy who's doing what he feels like.
yes, I agree. I've always liked Duff's attitude, style and solo stuff. it also seems that he and Tommy are on friendly terms, so maybe IF Duff rejoins GNR, there's a solid chance we will sometimes see Tommy join them onstage in the future, which is cool for me.

Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 04:15:47 AM »

count me in to. I'm pretty much sure that every fan that's been here longer than since yesterday(not counting the "why do you complain when...." people) appreciates Tommy, since he's been the stable part of the nuGNR. While others have come and gone, he's been there for better of for worse. Ever since Las Vegas01, till 2014. He's endured all the pressure, and I'm sad to see him go. I dont see him or Finck abusing their (ex)membership in GNR, like some of the other ex members have done, which makes me even more sad for not seeing them in this band.

but to be frank, It wouldnt be a reunion without Duff... and I wouldnt count out Tommy still making a guest appearance or 2.

what makes me anxious is the tracklist. It would be really disappointing if they only played the "oldies". Would be to embarrassing for me to go watch that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:22:54 AM by Lucky » Logged

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 04:28:23 AM »

- Do any of you feel A DESPERATE NEED for an explanation (even though it's obvious they dont have to explain us jack shit)? Or as long as Slash and Axl are back together, you dont need anything else? Do any of you feel (idk if this is the correct word, not a native english speaker) a little bit ''betrayed'' or ''used'', after spending a decade (and more) backing up Axl against Slash and all the harm he did to the band in the past (not something I say: Axl said it several times in different moments/ways)?

...no.  I don't feel betrayed or used about being a fan of a band and things happening which are far beyond my control.
--DEA--
Rocker

Try it!!

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 04:42:30 AM »

I'm not! I have missed Slash and Duff the whole time.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:44:29 AM by --DEA-- » Logged
Lucky
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 04:51:39 AM »

...no.  I don't feel betrayed or used about being a fan of a band and things happening which are far beyond my control.

dont take his words out of context... its obvious what he is trying to say. Everyone with a bit of sense of emotion understands what he's talking about.

Let me put it simple for you:

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/64110
http://www.mtv.com/news/1451669/i-was-curious-slash-says-of-gnr-show-he-was-banned-from/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf8FqSsQP28
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-admits-he-visited-axl-rose-s-house-in/
etc..etc...

its quite sad...
because axl basically admits that he was overexagerating his differences with Slash... or was so nearsighted and immature not to predict that one day he might regret it or change his mind.
People who actually believed Axls reasons for dissing Slash obviously feel like they believed in bullshit... and feel even more foolish after "spreading the Axl gospel" for all these years.

true... Axl doesnt owe anyone anything... and believers are stupid for even caring... but that doesnt make the taste of shit in the throat any less bitter.

to conclude: the rumor of "Atlas Shrugged" made me read that book. It turned out to be the best book I have ever read. One of the morals of the story is perseverance and integrity. With reunion... Axl lost a great piece of those.

a common occurence with the fans is:
a) they bow to Slash - Slash leaves... Shit on Slash
b) bow to Buckethead  - Buckethead leaves... Shit on Buckethead
etc.etc...
w) bow to DJ - DJ leaves... Shit on DJ

IMO this is quite shallow to begin with... since in the end... all that people around here do is act like cheerleeders in USA teen movie...

"OMG..... XY is friends with Axl...XY is so cool... BB4L"
... and once Axl gets ridd of them them ....
"...yeah... I know... XY was such a dick... like... did you see his shoes? ...that guy was such a moocher... yeah... he sucked ass "....
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:13:26 AM by Lucky » Logged

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
Boromir
VIP

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 05:02:19 AM »

I know what Esteban means, its a bitter feeling, having seeing this band 3 times and support those guys with all my heart... but im sure Axl didnt just change his mind about Slash in a day.

If Axl is happy, if they met and discussed and put Peace between them then i'll support their desicion because i love GNR.

Keep Calm and Listen to Guns N' Roses!
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 05:13:18 AM »

I know what Esteban means, its a bitter feeling, having seeing this band 3 times and support those guys with all my heart... but im sure Axl didnt just change his mind about Slash in a day.

If Axl is happy, if they met and discussed and put Peace between them then i'll support their desicion because i love GNR.

I believe, thought have no proof, that TB were able to broker this reunion. 

Past managers will have had monetary motives for this to happen, TB will have had the welfare of the man as their primary interest and as such, the meeting of the two parties will have been organised and agreed to be held in such a way that respects these people and the history that went before them. A conventional band management structure wouldn't have had a prayer in achieving this.

And to this end, well done Fernando and TB, and thank you.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 05:17:02 AM »

I'm gonna be honest: i am not as happy as 99% of you. And the 1% that may feel like me is not gonna express their feelings here.

Not trying to spoil anyone's happiness, but I got to say im VERY sad about not having Tommy in the band anymore.

I also think we're being a bit ungrateful to him: he helped rebuild the band when no one gave two shits for it, he was a key part of the band's reconstruction, and was a very important piece creatively wise in the ChiDem making. Now he's gone, and I don't see anybody -at least- thanking him for all what he did.

There are certain things we still dont know but I cant stop asking myself. I will put in bold my questions to you:

- Were DJ and Tommy forced to leave the band, so Slash and Duff could come back? (ron started to give bad signals from looong time ago, he clearly was having a nightmare being a GNR member and it's safe to say he wanted to develop his solo career, that's why I dont include him in this equation)

- Don't you think it's hard to understand how Axl could solve his problems with Slash after the immense amount of shit he spread all over him, issues that seemed irreversible for anyone with two working neurons? But now Slash is in the band and Matt Sorum isn't. Do you think Matt could have been asked to join the band and refused? Very unlikely. He most certainly wasn't asked. I know Axl and Matt are not exactly best friends but, until today, their issues were nothing compared to Axl vs. Slash. So, don't you think this ''hybrid'' lineup is, at least, VERY difficult to understand? Needless to say i dont want Matt in the band. I'm happy about Frank, in fact, i am desperately needing his confirmation...

- If Axl and Slash's relationship don't go well in the long term, it's pretty safe to say Slash can move back to his solo project. But, can Axl continue GN'R without him after this partial ''reunion''? Do any of you, like me, think that GNR's life now depends on how much Axl and Slash can coexist in the same room?

i'm still diggesting all the things that have happened in the last days, specially the last hours. Just wanted to know your thoughts about these things.

People have lives to live and dreams to fulfill. The GN'R bus, people get on, people get off. It's fun.
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 05:27:05 AM »

I also grew quite fond of the latest incarnation of GNR...I was always bummed when someone left, bit ended up liking their replacements..Out of all the CD era lineups this past on was my favorite...But, although not 100% for a reunion, I anxious for some live and possibly new releases from GNR!!
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 05:27:52 AM »

Extremely sad? I love him, he's a good & funny guy and great musician for sure, but with an expired contract. That's what happens when you're a fan of a bunch of hired musicians (not saying this in a negative way) and you think they're a "band" while they are litteraly a company with a boss owning, managing & directing it. You have to expect this, if you don't, you don't understand life & business. Maybe music shouldn't work that way but some people, with or without musical integrity, decide to follow that road. RIght or wrong? Dunno, but that's it.
So I'm not sad because I'm not naive enough... I didn't expect this but at the same time I'm not surprised at all.

You know..."Life doesn't owe you your own personal happy ending" in a way or another ok
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:32:45 AM by ITARocker » Logged
Lucky
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 05:28:01 AM »

People have lives to live and dreams to fulfill. The GN'R bus, people get on, people get off. It's fun.

are you the same Mysteron who was spawning false rumors in 2002?

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 05:30:35 AM »

are you the same Mysteron who was spawning false rumors in 2002?

Aye. Many years ago.  hihi
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 05:32:40 AM »

because axl basically admits that he was overexagerating his differences with Slash... or was so nearsighted and immature not to predict that one day he might regret it or change his mind.
People who actually believed Axls reasons for dissing Slash obviously feel like they believed in bullshit... and feel even more foolish after "spreading the Axl gospel" for all these years.
I'm sure a handful of people do feel foolish. They certainly looked foolish. Some people spent years(and thousand of posts) doing nothing but post "not in this lifetime", "Slash prostitutes himself for fortune and shame",etc. as a reply to any post. That's literally all they did.

Now look what's on the horizon?

You cant blame Axl for that. Its your fault for taking the comments so seriously. You probably took it even more seriously than Axl did. There's nothing wrong with Axl moving forward with his life or changing his mind about something.

Hell... these same types thought he hated Buckethead after he bailed in 2004. In 2008 Axl wanted to share a Dr Pepper with him. Do you blame Axl for that too?

One of the morals of the story is perseverance and integrity. With reunion... Axl lost a great piece of those.
Bullshit.

axlvai
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 06:48:48 AM »

!

We have to try to see the full half cup here.

Not the goddamn half empty.

Welcome AGAIN DUFF!!!

axlvai
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 07:08:21 AM »

I am bummed out by this.

Mainly because i would pick Tommy over Duff anyday of the week, as i would pick Bumble, Dj and Robin over Slash anyday of the week. Its just my preference.

Im happy that they are friends again, at least i hope its not one those, ok we hate each other, lets make a cash grab tour and call it a day.

The classic lineup was great while it lasted, im not super hyped to see a middle aged version of the ritz 1988 show when the original is on youtube.

I can only hope that we will continue seeing three hour shows with songs ranging from Nice Boys to Prostitute.

I really hope im wrong, but i cant help but think that this is the day GNR stopped being exciting.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »