Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:31:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227799 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  How much demand will there be??
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much demand will there be??  (Read 18724 times)
reayj2003
VIP

« on: January 06, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »

What does everyone think? Are we looking at sold out stadiums across the world with more demand than even AC/DC?
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »

Stadiums seem ambitious to me, personally.  Arenas seem a far safer bet.

But, no one leaves money on the table.  They won't do arenas if their internal research suggests they can do stadiums.

The Philadelphia Eagles stadium holds 70,000 for a game.  Not sure what the concert configuration is, but we are talking a lot of people here. 

I do not think they can sell it out.  But I don't know any act other than Taylor Swift could.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 03:24:32 PM »

They will. Smiley

"...It don't really matter..."
johnreed3344
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 03:25:24 PM »

MetLife, Gillette, Lincoln Financial would all sell out

12/5/02
5/17/06
11/5/06
11/17/11
11/26/11
2/10/12
2/24/12
6/8/13
4/8/16
4/16/16
7/14/16
7/23/16
10/11/17
10/12/17
10/15/17
10/16/17
7/1/18
10/1/19
8/5/21
8/11/23
8/15/23 NE
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »

I'd prefer to see them in arenas as well. There was a rumour they would play the new arena in Las Vegas.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 03:26:35 PM »

What some see to not think about is the image.

If you book a stadium show/tour, everybody know it's supposed to be big. We've heard how the band "must" reunite and how it'll be the biggest thing since.... the last biggest thing.
So you guys are saying that this huge thing is basically the size of any arena band with a hit?

See, that's already making it smaller....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Giantrobott
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 03:28:43 PM »

They could do a huge tour in Canada if anything...They did great even with the Old new Gnr.  beer
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 03:29:22 PM »

LP Field here in Nashville is 68k or so capacity. I personally don't think they can sell that out either unless the supporting act(s) are good too.

It doesn't matter what artist you are. It's very difficult to sell out 60-70k stadiums now days.

If they did arenas (16-22k) they would easily sell those out. I do think Stadiums are the way to go though. If they publicize this the right way and don't screw off, they can get a lot of people to come.

I also don't think they are looking for every show to be a sellout... would you rather sell out an average of 19k seat arenas or average 35-45k in stadiums? They are looking for the max in attendance. No way they sell out every stadium or any at all, but they'll be getting much more attendance in stadiums.

There is nothing wrong with hitting 65-75% attendance in a place that holds 60-70,000 people. Relax guys.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 03:31:18 PM »

I think in the the bigger markets like LA, NY Chicago, Philly, Boston, Dallas etc...A reunited Guns N' Roses have absolutely no problem packing football stadiums. In the smaller markets, arenas are probably a safer bet, and will still likely sell out.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 03:32:10 PM »

If you book a stadium show/tour, everybody know it's supposed to be big. We've heard how the band "must" reunite and how it'll be the biggest thing since.... the last biggest thing.
So you guys are saying that this huge thing is basically the size of any arena band with a hit?

See, that's already making it smaller....

You can count the acts that can sell out stadiums here in the U.S. on one hand, without the thumb.  Saying they don't meet that standard is hardly a diss.

What they won't be doing is anything "up close and personal", allegedly out of the goodness of their hearts.  Arenas are as small as it would go.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 03:33:47 PM »

Well, they can write a whiny article any day of the week.

How "culturally relevant" are AC/DC?
How culturally relevant is hard rock music period?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 03:33:50 PM »

To be blunt, I don't think a Guns N Roses reunion is a big deal in 2016 to anyone except longtime, diehard fans.  There are already articles like this....

http://nypost.com/2016/01/05/guns-n-roses-is-back-but-now-theyre-culturally-irrelevant/

... that are pretty accurate in detailing the band's lack of cultural relevance at this point.  Yeah, we fans would gobble it up of course, but filling stadiums?  It's gonna take more than diehards to do that in present day.  Arenas are much more realistic.

I don't buy it.  The Stones, U2, AC/DC, Metallica & Bon Jovi can do stadiums....But not a reunited Guns N' Roses?  Nope, don't buy it.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 03:34:33 PM »

To be blunt, I don't think a Guns N Roses reunion is a big deal in 2016 to anyone except longtime, diehard fans.  There are already articles like this....

http://nypost.com/2016/01/05/guns-n-roses-is-back-but-now-theyre-culturally-irrelevant/

... that are pretty accurate in detailing the band's lack of cultural relevance at this point.  Yeah, we fans would gonna gobble it up of course, but filling stadiums?  It's gonna take more than diehards to do that in present day.  Arenas are much more realistic.

I am seeing more negative feeback than I anticipated.  I have to be honest.

And its pretty much all about Axl and his antics.  Sort of challenging this well worn talking point that anyone besides us has been paying attention to this band in 20 years.

All this supposed good behavior Axl has been exhibiting is news to everybody, it seems.  Last thing they know, he was a dick.  In 1992.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 03:35:36 PM »

I don't buy it.  The Stones, U2, AC/DC, Metallica & Bon Jovi can do stadiums....But not a reunited Guns N' Roses?  Nope, don't buy it.

Its going to take a bit more of a sell job than I think any of us anticipated.

Like it or not, it might take Axl coming out and assuring people he won't be a dick about it.  That's the #1 hurdle.

markreed
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 03:36:39 PM »

One night at Stadiums, in major towns (London, Paris, NY, LA, SF, etc).... no problem....BUT :

- The support acts have to be strong. I mean really strong, with one legacy act (Judas Priest, or ... crap, I almost typed Motorhead, but you know what I mean, for example), and one new act , both sizable and able to bring 3-4k tickets in themselves.

- GNR have to be *very* dependable. That means on stage before 10.45pm, and finished before 2am.

I don't want to labour the point around 'being on late', but everyone I know who is a casual fan (and that's what this tour is designed to being back, the people that lost touch with the band between 1995-2015) who saw them in 2009-14 who I spoke to, only had one takeaway from the shows, and that's stage times. I'm not saying I agree with them, but the people who like GNR and don't frequent messageboards still find it surprising the band go on stage at 11pm and finish at 1.30am on a Wednesday night, for example.

If tickets are $400 cashgrabs, there will be plenty of unsold tickets.

If they continue to do the 'going on at 11pm' thing, they'll go back to arenas - this is the one chance for Axl/Slash/Duff lineup to achieve reputational glory.

Success relies on three things :
- the machine has to work smoothly, to time and not to Axl O'Clock
- tickets need to be affordable and not at ridiculous prices
- the tour has to cover major markets and the venues have to accomodate demand

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 03:38:12 PM »

Its going to take a bit more of a sell job than I think any of us anticipated.

Like it or not, it might take Axl coming out and assuring people he won't be a dick about it.  That's the #1 hurdle.

Well yes, I agree that the world has to know they're back in a big way.  I am assuming that's coming.  And maybe shame on me for doing so.  I just feel like this is just too big for "them" to fuck up.  

Now please excuse me while I knock on every piece of wood I can find within a 50 mile radius...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 03:40:16 PM »

I don't want to labour the point around 'being on late', but everyone I know who is a casual fan (and that's what this tour is designed to being back, the people that lost touch with the band between 1995-2015) who saw them in 2009-14 who I spoke to, only had one takeaway from the shows, and that's stage times. I'm not saying I agree with them, but the people who like GNR and don't frequent messageboards still find it surprising the band go on stage at 11pm and finish at 1.30am on a Wednesday night, for example.

Same here.

No one ever wants to hear this.  Making me wonder if anyone talks to anyone about this band outside this board and others like it.

There is liking Guns N' Roses, which many do.  And liking them enough to have to take off work the next day to see them.  An accommodation no other band needs to ask for.  That's a thing, folks.

If they aren't onstage by 10, its a problem.  And 10 is even pushing it.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 03:41:15 PM »

You can count the acts that can sell out stadiums here in the U.S. on one hand, without the thumb.  Saying they don't meet that standard is hardly a diss.

The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, U2, Bon Jovi (?), Bruce Springsteen, One Direction, Taylor Swift... There's a few more I suspect could do it. How many fingers does your hand have?  Wink

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 03:42:01 PM »

Well yes, I agree that the world has to know they're back in a big way.  I am assuming that's coming.  And maybe shame on me for doing so.  I just feel like this is just too big for "them" to fuck up.  

Now please excuse me while I knock on every piece of wood I can find within a 50 mile radius...

Hahahaha.  Against all good judgment and every instinct I have about the man, I actually believe he will do this right.

Be prepared.  Be on time.  Be professional.

I don't even rule out he miht even rehearse for a change, because I think the others will demand that of him.  And should, frankly.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »

... that are pretty accurate in detailing the band's lack of cultural relevance at this point.  Yeah, we fans would gobble it up of course, but filling stadiums?  It's gonna take more than diehards to do that in present day.  Arenas are much more realistic.

Yeah I saw that "culturally irrelevant" article, it made me laugh.  They use the term like its a bad thing, but look at the things that are "culturally relevant" in 2016.  The Kardashians, Miley Cyrus, etc..  Who exactly would want to be "culturally relevant" in 2016.  GNR like those other big bands mentioned are timeless acts, not some flavor of the month.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:43:59 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: