Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:38:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  How much demand will there be??
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much demand will there be??  (Read 18546 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 03:44:43 PM »

Yeah, you're gonna have those diehard fans who gobble it all up.  On the other hand, you're gonna have a sizeable number of fans who just flat-out lost faith in the band over the years based on all the shit that's gone down.

And are unlikely to be swayed by some anecdotal story about how you saw them that time, and he came on early.

Perception is reality.  The perception of Axl Rose, let's face it, ain't great.  Its going to be a thing.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »

I don't buy it.  The Stones, U2, AC/DC, Metallica & Bon Jovi can do stadiums....But not a reunited Guns N' Roses?  Nope, don't buy it.

Yeah, and every single one of those bands has a MUCH better track record than present-day Guns N Roses has (regardless of the lineup).  Like I already said, they've earned it through years of consistency and reliability.  Guns N Roses struggled with those things even in their heyday.  It would be an especially tough sell now after everything that has happened since said heyday.

Yeah, you're gonna have those diehard fans who gobble it all up.  On the other hand, you're gonna have a sizeable number of fans who just flat-out lost faith in the band over the years based on all the shit that's gone down.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see someone thinking "Oh great, Axl and Slash have reunited! I've wanted this for years!!! But I guess I won't buy a ticket when it goes onsale tomorrow because of that time in 1992...."

I just don't see how "rep" plays into ticket sales when you're talking about a GNR reunion.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 03:46:56 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see someone thinking "Oh great, Axl and Slash have reunited! I've wanted this for years!!! But I guess I won't buy a ticket when it goes onsale tomorrow because of that time in 1992...."

I just don't see how "rep" plays into ticket sales when you're talking about a GNR reunion.

Why the hell not?

The last "local" shows he did here were in 2011 and 2012.  Came on past 11, both times.  That's 3 years ago, not 20. 

And those were small ass crowds.  People that only have memories of big ass crowds way back when tell the same story, if not worse.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 03:48:42 PM »

I gotta say, way to be positive in 2016!  hihi

If some of the so called hardcore fans are this excited about the prospect of a huge tour in their country, no wonder the media is busy writing articles about why GN'R isn't as culturally relevant as somebody who's famous for being famous....

Where's TheBaconman to tell us how Canada isn't that way....  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »

Yep, all of those things are going to continue to contribute to GNR's reputation, and will affect ticket sales.  Imagine a stadium shows not ending until 2 a.m. -- the parking lot wouldn't be clear until daylight!   Tongue

And the only dumber answer than the clich? about it "being rock n roll, dude" is the even dumber "then fuck you, stay home".

Real business majors, people that say that stuff.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »

Why the hell not?

The last "local" shows he did here were in 2011 and 2012.  Came on past 11, both times.  That's 3 years ago, not 20. 

And those were small ass crowds.  People that only have memories of big ass crowds way back when tell the same story, if not worse.

I'm not saying fans will necessarily forget/forgive the times he was ridiculously late, cancelled or whatever their beef is.  I'm just saying that, in my opinion, the sell of witnessing an Axl & Slash reunion far exceeds any apprehensions people may have about buying a GNR ticket.  That goes doubly for casual fans.

I just know that this is the tour that FOR YEARS people have speculated would make bank. Now that it's a reality, what's really changed?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 03:50:27 PM »

I gotta say, way to be positive in 2016!  hihi

If some of the so called hardcore fans are this excited about the prospect of a huge tour in their country, no wonder the media is busy writing articles about why GN'R isn't as culturally relevant as somebody who's famous for being famous....

Where's TheBaconman to tell us how Canada isn't that way....  hihi

You want to stick your head in the sand.  We want to talk about real world, relevant issues if you are going to try and sell a nationwide stadium tour.

You willful ignorance is not noble, sport.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 03:52:04 PM »

I just know that this is the tour that FOR YEARS people have speculated would make bank. Now that it's a reality, what's really changed?

In my opinion?  Talk of stadiums and $275 tickets.

All the talk I ever did about a fairytale reunion tour was in 15,000-20,000 arenas with ticket prices around $150-175.

If this all works out, fucking phenomenal.  But I think these are valid questions.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 03:53:26 PM »

Yeah I saw that "culturally irrelevant" article, it made me laugh.   Who exactly would want to be "culturally relevant" in 2016.  

A band that wants to fill up stadiums.  Cultural relevance is not strictly a matter of making comparisons to all the (admittedly) shitty music that's out there.  It's a mere contemplation point for how many tickets they can actually sell.

What? The only rock bands that can fill up stadiums these days are the ones who AREN'T "culturally relevant."  

Metallica, Bon Jovi, Rolling Stones, U2, none of them are culturally relevant.  They are all established timeless acts who sell what they sell regardless of the latest trends.  Guns N Roses are exactly that.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 03:54:17 PM »

I think they'll be fine.  Axl will go back to being as dependable, professional, reliable, etc. as he was in the early 90s, which was why they were able to sell out all those stadium shows...  wait, what?  
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2016, 03:56:55 PM »

You want to stick your head in the sand.  We want to talk about real world, relevant issues if you are going to try and sell a nationwide stadium tour.

You willful ignorance is not noble, sport.

You and your real world. Please.

All I said was, way to be positive. you're on a fan site. Did you forget? We're not your friends who will make fun of you if you're a bit excited about something relating to GN'R.

You're not even a bit positive. It's just the way it is. Yet another thread about how it's not gonna sell, people don't wanna go, Axl is always late and you can't help but repeating all that.
For once, would it be possible for you to move past the doom and gloom phase? Even with all the news, you're still there.....

I actually thought there might be a slight change in the shit you post with the latest news. But I admit, I was wrong. More of the same.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
beerman
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 03:56:58 PM »

The reality is promoters and such will guarantee $$$$ whether they're going to sell out the Stadium or not. So regardless, they will play the stadiums over the summer based on a guaranteed amount of money, anything after that is gravy. My personal opinion is they cut about 25-30% of the stadium off due to the layouts, will not sell anything behind the stage and will have a solid 40K per show for the initial run, that's not too crazy.

Either way, who gives a shit if they're touring, we'll all enjoy it!

5/91 AlpineValley
4/92 RosemontHorizon
1/01 HOB Vegas
11/02 AllstateArena
11/06 AllstateArena
11/11 AllstateArena
2/12 HOB Chicago
4/16 T-Mobile Vegas
7/16 SoldierField
11/17 UnitedCenter
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 03:57:28 PM »

In my opinion?  Talk of stadiums and $275 tickets.

All the talk I ever did about a fairytale reunion tour was in 15,000-20,000 arenas with ticket prices around $150-175.

If this all works out, fucking phenomenal.  But I think these are valid questions.

Put in perspective, the Billboard article that first mentioned the $250-275 ticket prices was them speculating where "top tier" sections would likely top out at base on the offers they heard GNR was receiving.  I'm quite sure tickets in the 50-75 range will still be made available. And, for better or for worse, that's a very common standard at high profile classic rock concerts today. I don't think that's going to spook many, if any, fans from buying tickets.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2016, 03:59:41 PM »

I would also make the argument that even at the height of their popularity, Guns N Roses were not a culturally relevant band.  You know what was culturally relevant when Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 were topping the charts?  New Kids on the Block, Kriss Kross, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer and troll dolls.

That didn't stop them from selling out every seat in the house everywhere on the planet.
Annie
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2016, 04:00:36 PM »

I have always preferred United Center over Godzilla's toilet and Allstate Arena.  Paul MCartney and Rollingstones did their last Chicago shows there.  But I plan on splurging for A VIP package which I am sure they will
Do on the Night Train.  Cool
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »

As just about the only one here willing to cop to being a lifelong Bon Jovi fan, I'm curious where all these U.S. stadium tours have been happening.

And for years around here, I have been told Metallica can't even tour the country in ANY capacity, as a means to explain why GNR was playing fucking nightclubs.  Now they are a stadium act?  Say what??

How about the Stones?  Stadiums act here, right?  Yep...sometimes.  Lot of arenas sprinkled in there the past 10 years.

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2016, 04:04:03 PM »

As just about the only one here willing to cop to being a lifelong Bon Jovi fan, I'm curious where all these U.S. stadium tours have been happening.

And for years around here, I have been told Metallica can't even tour the country in ANY capacity, as a means to explain why GNR was playing fucking nightclubs.  Now they are a stadium act?  Say what??

How about the Stones?  Stadiums act here, right?  Yep...sometimes.  Lot of arenas sprinkled in there the past 10 years.

Same thing for Bruce Springsteen.  Yes, he's played RFK Stadium in front of 90,000 fans.  But I saw him in a 13,000 seat arena -- and that was with the E Street Band before Clarence Clemons died.  Lots of arenas there for a man who's also been considered a stadium act.
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 04:06:34 PM »

Well a mix of arenas & stadiums would be good.

I think they'll make a killing in Europe. I'd just rather they did a long stint in arenas like the o2 rather than one night at Wembley Stadium. Stadiums suit AC/DC but I've always preferred Axl and co in arenas.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 04:07:04 PM »

Hahahahaa

And just like that, the thread is moved.  Fuckin' classic.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 04:07:50 PM »

Stones just did a stadium tour this last summer.  I saw Metallica play Yankee Stadium in 2011.  Bon Jovi routinely plays Met Life Stadium in Jersey, yes the fact that it is Jersey does inflate ticket sales..

If GNR are only doing about 25 dates in the major markets, I don't understand how some of you think they wont fill up all of those stadiums.  I think it will be hard to get good seats to those shows.  This is the most anticipated reunion in the last 35 years.

Motley Crue just did an enormous arena run.  I love Motley Crue but on their best day they weren't close to GNR on their worst.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: