Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:19:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228066 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is it still possible for the band to tour this year?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it still possible for the band to tour this year?  (Read 8483 times)
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« on: January 08, 2016, 08:42:29 AM »

Coachella has sold out, and we haven't heard any news about a tour. I was wondering if it was still logistically possible for them to tour this year? Obviously a big tour takes a large amount of planning, and a full crew of experts. I would imagine that most good crews will already be hired for the various big tours that are occurring throughout the summer and the rest of the year.

Is it possible for all this to be planned and worked out still? Obviously plans could be well underway and we haven't heard anything, but we've heard nothing solid in terms of dates or venues- and if crews were being lined up, venues penciled in, usually some of that leaks out.

If they're waiting to see how Coachella goes, I'd suggest any possible touring would have to be in 2017. What do others think?

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 08:46:24 AM »

They will Tour! On the flip side it takes so much work to bring everything together for just 2 shows.

The tweets etc have all been along the lines of "2016 is gonna be a great year".

The Rumours have been spot on so far. Soon is the word...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:48:19 AM by reayj2003 » Logged
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:58:03 AM »

I think that is the game plan...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 10:14:58 AM »

Coachella has sold out, and we haven't heard any news about a tour. I was wondering if it was still logistically possible for them to tour this year? Obviously a big tour takes a large amount of planning, and a full crew of experts. I would imagine that most good crews will already be hired for the various big tours that are occurring throughout the summer and the rest of the year.

Is it possible for all this to be planned and worked out still? Obviously plans could be well underway and we haven't heard anything, but we've heard nothing solid in terms of dates or venues- and if crews were being lined up, venues penciled in, usually some of that leaks out.

If they're waiting to see how Coachella goes, I'd suggest any possible touring would have to be in 2017. What do others think?

Quite simply, yes.  Likely because, if there's a tour coming, the planning stuff is already mostly complete.

They could easily announce in the next 30 days or so, and be on the road by June or July.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 10:19:03 AM »

Quite simply, yes.  Likely because, if there's a tour coming, the planning stuff is already mostly complete.

They could easily announce in the next 30 days or so, and be on the road by June or July.

Not to mention, if Billboards sources are to be trusted, an announcement for that summer stadium tour should be fairly soon. Obviously, nothing is real until it's real, but there's good reason to be hopeful for a tour.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:44:49 AM »

I agree with pilferk and sofine11.

If their intention was to tour this summer, they didn't start thinking about it yesterday. 

And its not even something you can say there is no proof of, because its not something that would happen out in the open.  If they are contacting venues to hold dates for them as they put together a full schedule, its not like that venue then blabs that all over.

Having said that, I would not be totally shocked if all parties were waiting to see how Coachella goes.  If that were the case, it might knock out a summer stadium tour, but perhaps a fall/winter arena tour would then be the plan.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:47:07 AM »

Would they really go thru all of this trouble to then go their separate ways after one festival?

Axl has to know there's no going back to guitar player X after this...

It would be stunning to me if they don't tour this summer... with that said.. I will sleep a little easier once I have my tickets in hand.  Smiley

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 10:48:52 AM »

There is also too much cash out there to be made to not do it big.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
matty29
Headliner

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 10:50:58 AM »

If their intention was to tour this summer, they didn't start thinking about it yesterday. 

And its not even something you can say there is no proof of, because its not something that would happen out in the open.  If they are contacting venues to hold dates for them as they put together a full schedule, its not like that venue then blabs that all over.

Having said that, I would not be totally shocked if all parties were waiting to see how Coachella goes.  If that were the case, it might knock out a summer stadium tour, but perhaps a fall/winter arena tour would then be the plan.

I would imagine that negotiations are in place.  Bands tend to use events like Coachella as a launch point for records and tours.  It creates massive social media as well as mainstream media buzz.  I would think second only to the super bowl halftime show (in the u.s anyway).  I would think that a tour would go onsale right after coachella.  Minimum runup time for a big stadium show is around 6- 8 weeks.  So that would make sense as far as timing is concerned.  Public onsale 4/29/2016 would be fine for shows going late june thru september.  

This is nothing more than speculation!  Just how it might play out.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 10:51:08 AM »

Would they really go thru all of this trouble to then go their separate ways after one festival?

But its not just the band that would want to wait and see.  So might promoters with a few questions about the elephant in the room, Axl's behavior.

Let's make you prospective promoter for a summer tour.  A big ticket, high profile summer tour.  The first night of Coachella, people start tweeting out that a half hour before they are scheduled to go on, Axl is not even at the venue yet because he insisted on being choppered in or some shit.

That wouldn't make you a bit wary?  

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »

Everything is pointing in the direction of a pretty big tour starting this year and possibly going for a long time..  Different legs, etc...

I honestly do not think anyone Is waiting to see how the festival goes....   Axls track record for the past few years has been great.  The guy has done close to 300 shows in the past 10 years.   Some in some very crapy conditions.  Both health and weather.   What that tells me, is that if he signs up for a show, he does the show.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »

Yep. There could very well be tentative plans in place for this summer, but it all could be on a "wait and see" basis. I will say that Coachella selling out as fast as it did and the media craze all bode very well for a full tour.
matty29
Headliner

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 11:06:02 AM »

But its not just the band that would want to wait and see.  So might promoters with a few questions about the elephant in the room, Axl's behavior.

Let's make you prospective promoter for a summer tour.  A big ticket, high profile summer tour.  The first night of Coachella, people start tweeting out that a half hour before they are scheduled to go on, Axl is not even at the venue yet because he insisted on being choppered in or some shit.

From a PR perspective yeah, for sure, from a financial perspective not really.  The contracts would be written that if the show gets cancelled they wouldn't pay.  So the only thing the venues would have to lose would be the value of the building for that day.  These venues arent booked all that much for summertime so i don't see it being a huge risk to the ownership groups.  If i was the promoter I'd be worried about laying out the money up front for advertising sponsorships and what not but the upside is huge and there are not that many opportunities to make that kind of money in the concert biz so I'd imagine someone would step up and take the shot.
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 11:17:51 AM »

I just really don't know about football stadiums in the US. This isn't 1991.  I don't know if rock is dead but it's not nearly as dominant as is as then. Country is what's selling out football stadiums. I could maybe see baseball stadiums but again if it's in summer that won't work.

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 11:22:20 AM »

No...

and I think you're really reaching on this one...

What has there been to wary about in regards to Axl's behavior over the past few years? 

If I am a promoter... I'm trying to push this as much as possible....I'm willing to spend big bucks to see this.. and I'm quite sure some others are too...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 11:29:28 AM »

No...

and I think you're really reaching on this one...

What has there been to wary about in regards to Axl's behavior over the past few years? 

If I am a promoter... I'm trying to push this as much as possible....I'm willing to spend big bucks to see this.. and I'm quite sure some others are too...

Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this "bad behavior" is basically a rock urban legend at this point. This isn't 1992, or hell 2002.  Really, since 2006 Axl's had his shit together in a big way and almost always delivers a dynamite performance. I think promoters are keen to this, and it's mainly talk-backers who don't really know what they're talking about who keep fanning those flames.

And putting things in perspective, does Axl do something that he swore up and down he'd never do, and mend those fences against all odds and risks....Just to do one festival?  Hell to the no he wouldn't. This is going to be BIG.  It's just a question of when things fall into place and get announced.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 11:46:11 AM »

I actually think Axl is going to do the right thing by everybody as to not fuck this up.

In fact, given the statements by Slash in the past about why he stopped performing with Axl, I imagine there is something in writing that will stipulate penalties for Axl if he does any of that stuff, so I don't think he will.

14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 11:50:46 AM »

I actually think Axl is going to do the right thing by everybody as to not fuck this up.

In fact, given the statements by Slash in the past about why he stopped performing with Axl, I imagine there is something in writing that will stipulate penalties for Axl if he does any of that stuff, so I don't think he will.

Been curious about this as well, if Axl accepted certain conditions from Slash.  Listen, Axl has been pretty good with getting on stage on time so I don't see why there would be a problem.  I'm sure Slash also looked at his more recent track history and was satisfied. 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »

There's got to be a certain amount of apprehension about Axl's behaviour (late starts, walk-offs etc) but I don't think that would stop promoters making offers. It's not that bad really.

If a crew is in place for a tour, that runs to hundreds and hundreds of people. I'm surprised we haven't had a solid leak on dates/venues. I'd go for any tour being winter or 2017, personally.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 11:59:50 AM »

Been curious about this as well, if Axl accepted certain conditions from Slash.  Listen, Axl has been pretty good with getting on stage on time so I don't see why there would be a problem.  I'm sure Slash also looked at his more recent track history and was satisfied. 

All well and good, but I'd still want it in writing, if I am them.

If Axl truly feels he will not have a problem meeting those requirements, signing his name on the dotted line should not be an undue hardship. 

And I think it best for the piece of mind of all involved.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: