Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:32:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash & Fortus
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash & Fortus  (Read 35803 times)
reayj2003
VIP

« on: January 10, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »

Is anyone else extremely excited about this combination? I think it's going to be incredible.
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 09:15:33 AM »

maybe, but GNR still lacks a solo guitar virtuoso, so we can possibly say goodbye to ChiDem songs in their full shape.

LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »

They've sought of played together with the Dead Daiseys...But from what I recall Richard Fortus, out of respect for Axl, was not in the studio when a slash played his parts..Not trying to stir anything up, just thought this was the ultimate sign of respect n' loyalty...
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »

They've sought of played together with the Dead Daiseys...But from what I recall Richard Fortus, out of respect for Axl, was not in the studio when a slash played his parts..Not trying to stir anything up, just thought this was the ultimate sign of respect n' loyalty...

They didn't. Richard had nothing to do with Dead Dasies at that point. He's not on the first album.

The quote your referring to is when Slash was going to guest on stage with Thin Lizzy.
Kenan
Opening Act

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »

maybe, but GNR still lacks a solo guitar virtuoso, so we can possibly say goodbye to ChiDem songs in their full shape.

Slash could easily play all those solos.
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 10:39:49 AM »

Shacklers?  That is NOT his style.

and don't get me wrong.....I love Slash, but different player play different things

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »

Well, just like Bumble, Bucket and Finck put their marks on old Guns songs, I guess Slash can do the same with Chinese songs. Although I do doubt songs like Shackler's Revenge will be played. Better, There Was A Time and Catcher In The Rye are songs I am curious to hear Slash's take on. Richard is also a very talented musician,  and I'm sure the chemistry between them will be good.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 11:04:40 AM »

and don't get me wrong.....I love Slash, but different player play different things

Whos gives a damn? I DON'T want to hear Shackler's Revenge on this tour/Coachella

omg who gives a fuck

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 11:17:54 AM »

Whos gives a damn? I DON'T want to hear Shackler's Revenge on this tour/Coachella

omg who gives a fuck

I have to admit surprise at how many people are ready to go to the mat for the CD songs inclusion.

I would have assumed if Slash and Duff came back, but the price was no more CD tunes being played, 95% of fans would have said...sure, where do I sign?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 11:22:30 AM »

Well, just like Bumble, Bucket and Finck put their marks on old Guns songs, I guess Slash can do the same with Chinese songs. Although I do doubt songs like Shackler's Revenge will be played. Better, There Was A Time and Catcher In The Rye are songs I am curious to hear Slash's take on. Richard is also a very talented musician,  and I'm sure the chemistry between them will be good.

I'd also love to hear Slash play This I Love. And yes, I'm very excited that Fortus is staying in the band. Ever since I saw him live... that dude is an amazing guitarist and has such passion and presence!

And to answer the question "Who gives a fuck about Shackler's", I do! I've been a fan since 1988 when I was 7 years old. Saw the video for Sweet Child and that nite made my dad take me to Sears to buy Appetite. They've been my favorite band ever since, and that includes the quiet era, Chi Dem, and all the incarnations. There are amazing songs on Chi Dem and just because Slash and Duff are back, does not mean to ignore those songs.
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 11:26:30 AM »

Slash could easily play all those solos.

Hahahahahaha!
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 11:30:06 AM »

I'd also love to hear Slash play This I Love. And yes, I'm very excited that Fortus is staying in the band. Ever since I saw him live... that dude is an amazing guitarist and has such passion and presence!

And to answer the question "Who gives a fuck about Shackler's", I do! I've been a fan since 1988 when I was 7 years old. Saw the video for Sweet Child and that nite made my dad take me to Sears to buy Appetite. They've been my favorite band ever since, and that includes the quiet era, Chi Dem, and all the incarnations. There are amazing songs on Chi Dem and just because Slash and Duff are back, does not mean to ignore those songs.

I guess it depends on style and what you are into.  I think there are some great songs on CD I just don't think Shacklers is one of them...  I would drop all of the songs starting with 's'  (exception being street of dreams,  of course I can't help but call it 'the blues')

I can see Slash playing a fair amount of CD if he agrees,  but Shacklers,  Sorry,  and Scrapped I just can't picture him playing at all. Partially that is me being a little selfish because they are my 3 least favorite songs on the album and I wouldn't mind to never hear them again... But again that's just my opinion.
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 11:31:16 AM »

Slash should have played on three songs from Chinese Democracy. So why not playing some of the songs live?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:17:17 PM by Sosso » Logged

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
sirp
Opening Act

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 11:43:54 AM »

I love the CD's song, so I hope they will play live a few of them. It would be intresting with Slash.
But my question would be who will play the solos of the old song that was played by Fortus? I would really miss his beautiful work for example in KOHD.

Remember in this game we call life
that no one said it's fair
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »

How in the hell does ANYBODY think that Better sounds like an old Gnr song.  Huh

It sounds absolutely NOTHING like 87-91 Gnr.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 11:45:39 AM »

I love the CD's song, so I hope they will play live a few of them. It would be intresting with Slash.
But my question would be who will play the solos of the old song that was played by Fortus? I would really miss his beautiful work for example in KOHD.

pretty sure Slash will handle almost all of the leads unless it is a CD era song.

Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 11:51:46 AM »

I hope that CD songs aren't dropped.  Seriously some people are treating this reunion as if it were a time machine.....zip back to 1998 or whenever and forget the last 15 years have happened.

I hope that this new GNR keeps everything and moves forward.

Imagine that....this is "a new GNR".....not the old GNR.

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 11:52:23 AM »

How in the hell does ANYBODY think that Better sounds like an old Gnr song.  Huh

It sounds absolutely NOTHING like 87-91 Gnr.

The argument you get it that it's 'guitar heavy'...  Which it is,  but style and tone apparently to some people are not that important. I agree with you it sounds nothing like classic GnR,  but that doesn't mean it's bad,  just different. Some people think that the only way to validate their opinion of the CD tracks is to compare them and grade them against the classic GnR curve.  

2 guitarists and limited effects vs. 3 guitarists (in some cases in the album 5) and a fair amount of effects...  They produce totally different sounds,  and that sound is totally outside of Slash's tone which is why I don't think he is going to be too fired up to play CD...  And if he does,  it is not going to sound like what the CD Era fans are used to and we are going to hear complaints.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 11:53:05 AM »

I am also excited about the potential jams between the 2....2 great lead guitar players is bad ass when they go toe to toe....think Allman Brothers with Duane Allman and Dickey Betts. Wouldn't Rocket Queen sound killer with a 5 minute guitar duel between Fortus and Slash?  drool
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:54:41 AM by sky dog » Logged

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 11:55:40 AM »

pretty sure Slash will handle almost all of the leads unless it is a CD era song.

Slash is not giving up any of his solos...  Richard will play the solos that Izzy and Gilby handled live.  The trading off that was done by DJ and Ron during SCOM is not going to happen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: