Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Did Axl and Slash know it was the end (for now) at Argentina '93?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Axl and Slash know it was the end (for now) at Argentina '93?  (Read 5947 times)
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« on: January 12, 2016, 08:57:40 PM »

Given that Axl and Slash both played Let It Be (The Beatles' last single, and a song associated with breakups and the ending of things) both during and after the show, do you think Axl and Slash knew consciously or subconsciously, that that stage in Argentina would be the last they would share, at least for some time? Or was it chosen for a less profound reason?
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 09:27:26 PM »

How many topics are you going to start?

This is dead Horse material.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 10:01:14 PM »

Seriously. Dead horse plz.

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
Princess Leia
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 07:38:38 AM »

I don?t think they knew. Duff however in his book says he thought that show could be the end
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »

Yeah this is dead horse man.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 12:50:01 PM »

I think they knew.

I think they were sick of each other.  And likely knew that some time off was going to be the next move, and no real guarantee they would crack it back up again.

Still think they should have played Woodstock '94.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 05:33:14 PM »

They probably thought this was the last tour for a couple years or so. I don't think they thought it was over at that point. They probably thought that they'd take like 6 months off clean, then get together, make a record over the next 6 months then tour that next year or something.

Who thought it would be almost 20 years on the dot until they share a stage again?

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »

On GNR's Behind the Music, Gilby Clarke mentioned that nobody really wanted to go home after the Use Your Illusion tour ended, because they all knew it was over.
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 05:27:25 PM »

I think they knew.

I think they were sick of each other.  And likely knew that some time off was going to be the next move, and no real guarantee they would crack it back up again.

Still think they should have played Woodstock '94.

Woodstock '94 would've been a nice cap to their '90s career. Could've played a couple of TSI songs or a rarity or two. And it would've been at a big gig on their home turf. You know, they were invited to an event celebrating Elvis in 1994, but they declined because they didn't know what song to play.

Also, Axl apparently told Matt that he'd "see [him] in '96". Axl was planning on taking three years off. This is confirmed by Axl saying, in his January 1994 interview, that they were aiming at having the next GN'R record out in 1996. Also, back in early 1991, he said the plan was to get all the material out there and then sit back "for five years" and think about what they were going to do next.

Had history proceeded as it should've/was planned, GN'R would've had some sort of record out sometime in 1996.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 08:04:32 AM »

Well, they did try to write and record something in that time. I don't think live performances would change the fact that their relationship wasn't that great.

Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 10:16:02 AM »

Anyone in the band who says now they knew it was the end is talking with hindsight knowledge.  They didn't know.  They might have felt it would have been the last show for a long while, but it's not like they were planning on breaking up.  Every interview after July '93 confirms this.  Just listen to the Rockline interview with Axl and Slash in January '94.  Doesn't sound like a band that's about to end.

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: