Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:03:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy's Legacy
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy's Legacy  (Read 33662 times)
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2016, 03:06:05 PM »

You can't say his vocals in 1991 were not better than his vocals in 2014.

That's just fucking nuts.

He sounded better in 1991 than 2014.

No way in hell that is even a debate.

[

I agree with your point, overall.  Other than 2006, I don't think any time in the relaunch he has sounded as good as he did back in the day.

But, the memory cheats.  If you compare the summer of 1991 with even the summer of 1992, world of difference there.  Sounds much better in 1992.

His 'rasp' in 91-93 is better than any point since... but his rasp lead to less technical proficiency. I think the story around Sebastian getting him in touch with his 'voice guy' after Axl blew out his voice in the first 2006 show has lead to what people view as weaker vocals, because when he feels his throat giving out, he begins singing more from his diaphragm... shows were constantly effected by his throat in the 90's (postponement etc...) that hasn't happened much since 2006.

Also to DX's point if you are not in tip top shape and you rely on a more technical style of singing than he employed live in the 90's you are going to sound weak as you lose a little air and endurance.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »

I immediately sent around the 6/6/14 Jungle performance.  Needless to say, all were impressed that he's still got it.

That's the weirdest thing about this place.  Here, I'm an enemy of the fucking state.  ANYWHERE ELSE...I'm considered and Axl fanboy/apologist.  A total mark.

That's the cross we bear...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2016, 03:16:52 PM »

I immediately sent around the 6/6/14 Jungle performance.  Needless to say, all were impressed that he's still got it.

That's the weirdest thing about this place.  Here, I'm an enemy of the fucking state.  ANYWHERE ELSE...I'm considered and Axl fanboy/apologist.  A total mark.

That's the cross we bear...

DX falls for the first time...

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »

Maybe because here 99.995% of the time you're negative and criticizing everything Axl/NuGNR/TB/Jarmo does.  Whereas on those other sites 95% of your posts are pro-Axl/NuGNR/TB/Jarmo.

It's not weird.  Maybe you are subconsciously an attention whore that needs to post the opposite of the main direction of the thinking/focus on whichever site you happen to be on.  Maybe in your subconscious you think saying the opposite will make your posts stand out over everyone else's.

Least I hope it's subconscious.  hihi

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2016, 03:39:42 PM »

Maybe because here 99.995% of the time you're negative and criticizing everything Axl/NuGNR/TB/Jarmo does.  Whereas on those other sites 95% of your posts are pro-Axl/NuGNR/TB/Jarmo.

Oh, I don't mean other sites.  I mean in life.

This has been the only GNR board I've posted at for a few years now.

But its an interesting juxtaposition.  If my brother, any of my friends, any of my peeps on Facebook...if I told them some of the charges I get leveled at me around here about both this band and Axl himself, they would laugh hysterically.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2016, 04:03:03 PM »

But its an interesting juxtaposition.  If my brother, any of my friends, any of my peeps on Facebook...if I told them some of the charges I get leveled at me around here about both this band and Axl himself, they would laugh hysterically.

Doesn't matter if it's another site or "in life" as you say.  You're doing the same thing.  If someone says blue, (a good portion of the time) you're going to say green thinking your response will get more reaction because it's different from theirs. 

If someone in your real-life acquaintances says something negative about Axl/NuGNR/TB/etc., you're going to defend against the negativity because you're a fan.

You have to admit that the majority of your posts on HTGTH are negative against Axl/NuGNR/TB/Jarmo/etc.

Maybe you should let your real-life acquaintances read for themselves the things you post here and let them judge the level of the charges against you about both this band and Axl.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2016, 04:09:12 PM »

Maybe you should let your real-life acquaintances read for themselves the things you post here and let them judge the level of the charges against you about both this band and Axl.

I've told those very people about this board.  They are like, 97% sure that I'm making a lot of you up.

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2016, 04:21:36 PM »

I've told those very people about this board.  They are like, 97% sure that I'm making a lot of you up.

After reading some of the things people post here, I question our existence too.  hihi

Just to be clear, I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't have an opposing view on things.

Also, I don't know what juxtaposition means.

OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2016, 05:23:03 PM »

Doesn't matter if it's another site or "in life" as you say.  You're doing the same thing.  If someone says blue, (a good portion of the time) you're going to say green thinking your response will get more reaction because it's different from theirs. 

If someone in your real-life acquaintances says something negative about Axl/NuGNR/TB/etc., you're going to defend against the negativity because you're a fan.

You have to admit that the majority of your posts on HTGTH are negative against Axl/NuGNR/TB/Jarmo/etc.

I dont see it this way with DX at all. He is entitled to an opinion as much as anyone on this site or any other. I dont think he goes out of his way to garner more attention, i simply think that this sites owner has a every rose coloured outlook on GNR... and thats fine too.. but if you want interesting conversation, or even lets dare say debate, then DX tends to look like the bad guy in many peoples eyes because hes questioning things and legitimately so IMO.

I dont know the guy from a bar of soap, yet i dont see him being rude to the band, or Axl, it just grates people on here that he questions things and calls it as he sees it.. hes definitely not a hater of anything.

His negative comments will get 100 replies and an outcry...yet he makes many positives posts and they don't get any attention. You cant have it both ways.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2016, 05:33:16 PM »

His negative comments will get 100 replies and an outcry...yet he makes many positives posts and they don't get any attention. You cant have it both ways.

That's the only bit that's frustrating. 

Look, I'm not an idiot.  I know some of my opinions are going to rub people the wrong way sometimes.  And the smartass thing falls flat with some.  That's life.

All I try and do is not get personal, not get juvenile, and walk after the conversation starts getting circular.

People here that fight with me tend to want to fight with me.  Call it our dynamic.  I don't take it personal. 

OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2016, 05:38:21 PM »

^^^ See thats the thing.... i see a thread like this asking for opinions on the legacy of CD.

I think... gee, id like to put my opinion in this thread but i know damn well ill just be called a hater of the band, and unsupportive, so generally i avoid threads like this and i just read them.

The only reason i even commented was because the charges being leveled at you above are the same charges i face on here generally. I think this place has very limited middle ground which is actually where i see myself.. yet im tarnished with the "you're a negative hater" brush. Couldn't be further from the truth in real life or on here.. but i guess perceptions are just that... doesn't make them real. And that may go both ways.... either way... i have a damn lot of positive things to say about this band in real life and on here, yet the only stuff that ever warrants a reply is when i offend someone with something they dont like.

Such is life i suppose.  Wink

ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2016, 05:50:49 PM »

cds legacy... if cd 2 really is on the way, the outcome could still be pretty up in the air with it being the 2nd half of it and all. i know people like to bust balls if one refers to the vault, but even beltrami said the best song he worked on was 7, and we still havent heard that one. maybe they werent just making it up when they said they were holding out on a lot of their big guns.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2016, 05:52:16 PM »

cds legacy... if cd 2 really is on the way, the outcome could still be pretty up in the air with it being the 2nd half of it and all. i know people like to bust balls if one refers to the vault, but even beltrami said the best song he worked on was 7, and we still havent heard that one. maybe they werent just making it up when they said they were holding out on a lot of their big guns.

Suppose they get Slash and Duff on there.

How much would that change the song's sound overall, do you think?

OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #173 on: February 04, 2016, 05:54:17 PM »

massively. Slash's sound especially is very easy to distinguish.

In saying that.... thats only 50% of the problem....  the other 50% is definietely on Axl to deliver a song that is a bit more stripped back (just my opinion) and really give it a guns feel.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #174 on: February 04, 2016, 05:59:06 PM »

I agree.

I think it changes the sound.  Frankly, probably more to something I'd rather hear.

But to a lot of folks, they want to see what that line-up did.  They want them as untouched as possible.

ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #175 on: February 04, 2016, 06:00:28 PM »

hard to say! if i had to guess, i would say not too radically. my reasoning would be because the songs were supposedly already done. to radically rework them could likely not be done fast enough to take advantage of the reunion hype. plus, i think axl is only willing to compromise the stuff he came up with so much, because it means a lot to him and hes worked very hard on it.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #176 on: February 04, 2016, 06:02:20 PM »

I agree.

I think it changes the sound.  Frankly, probably more to something I'd rather hear.

But to a lot of folks, they want to see what that line-up did.  They want them as untouched as possible.

I'd say thats definitely true for the majority of people on this site... not so much in the rest of the world from my personal dealings with people. They couldnt even tell you who was in the band other then Axl since 1996.

Thats just the way it is... regardless of whether people on here want to admit that.

My interest level in anything to do with CD2 would spike massively if Slash and Duff are on it. No Doubt about it at all. But if they arent... then ill only be vaguely interested and that is on an account of Axl and Axl only.
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #177 on: February 04, 2016, 06:04:55 PM »

hard to say! if i had to guess, i would say not too radically. my reasoning would be because the songs were supposedly already done. to radically rework them could likely not be done fast enough to take advantage of the reunion hype. plus, i think axl is only willing to compromise the stuff he came up with so much, because it means a lot to him and hes worked very hard on it.

fair point.... it would come down to how much time Axl and the other guys would be prepared to spend on this as to how different it could sound. Which just blurs the lines on this record even further. Everything surrounding this record is a major cluster fuck at the moment and its one reason why i don't think it will see the light of day.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #178 on: February 04, 2016, 06:20:53 PM »

That is crap. CD is stand alone.

Even if a CD II comes out it would be 8 years and counting roughly. That wouldn't tie into the legacy. You don't release a 2nd part to an album 8 years later and have that affect the previous album or tie into it.

Chinese Democracy's legacy is set for right now. THe only thing that can make it better is if the reunion produces new music and the songs from that album are heard by different people and it puffs that albums popularity/awareness of it.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #179 on: February 04, 2016, 06:25:05 PM »

If CD II is done... then why isn't it out? I don't get it.

I don't want Duff and Slash reworking that stuff. I would love to hear it but that would mess with the components of the band. Put it out as a double album maybe? That might confuse the fuck out of people though.

Just release the damn album man. What is the big deal? I hate it so much.

After that album is out let the guys tour behind it for a bit, then record something new. If this reunion this is "for real" and not just a big ass tour... I want CD II and NEW MUSIC/Box set unreleased stuff from Gn'R in the next 2-3 years.

Axl owns the name...

and we all know how and why... so its up to him right? Roll Eyes

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: