Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:03:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy's Legacy
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy's Legacy  (Read 33652 times)
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2016, 02:41:03 PM »

Yeah I mean he sounds good still, just not great.

There's a clear drop in his vocal range and quality though since 2006ish or just after. It's not a huge drop and he's still great live for sure. The older he gets the less likely his vocals might stay great.

Axl is one of the greatest vocalists ever. So his vocals "dropping" is really a small thing.

IMO the "drop" was clearly in 2011. Hell, in 2010 he sounded even better than 2006, at least to me.

Yeah in 2006 he sounded as good as he ever has. Awesome.

I saw him late 2011 and he sounded fantastic. It just wasn't as good as the old days or 2006ish. he was still very very good.

2014 was a rough year for him I think vocally.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2016, 02:41:35 PM »

I attended numerous shows in 2014 and he sounded great.

You always bring this up... And I totally agree, but with a caveat. What you hear in person and what people hear on recordings/broadcasts are two totally different things.
I know being in Boston in 2002 at the Fleet Center and hearing the soundboard are almost like two different shows I though Axl and Robin sounded better live than when I listened back on CD and DVD. Same with the Hammerstein shows, I thought he sounded amazing like and I though it sounded weak on DVD (granted this is a less clear audience recording than the Boston Soundboard). I'm sure the people who were in the crowd in London and Las Vegas for the live broadcasted shows think they sound better than I do. Part of it is the acoustics of the venue and part of it is the adrenaline of the live experience.

What they could have to worry about is You Tube after the first 5 shows effecting the casual fan dropping money on the rumored Stadium tour if it 'sounds' like Axl is being blown off the stage by Slash... because I can tell you, like his material or not, he has been spot on flawless in his last few DVD releases.

I think it will be fine, but that is the risk...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2016, 02:41:39 PM »

We heard he wasn't at the first batch of rehearsals, which was discouraging.

Was there ever a credible source to that claim?

I remember reading something about that on some forum, coming from Steven Tyler, but no source was presented. Makes me think it was made up.

However, it wouldn't be unusual for Axl to skip rehearsals. But, it's maybe not even any point in him being there at the beginning while the band figures out the music together anyways. Him singing for a full three months ahead might also present a risk of wear on the voice even before the tour starts. Better for the singer to join in the last weeks when the music starts to sound tight.

I have not seen a credible source for that claim at all.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »

Terrible in South America, but solid by Vegas.

If you call up the clips from March down there, and then June up here...huge difference.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2016, 02:43:26 PM »

There's a clear drop in his vocal range and quality though since 2006ish or just after. It's not a huge drop and he's still great live for sure. The older he gets the less likely his vocals might stay great.

Axl is one of the greatest vocalists ever. So his vocals "dropping" is really a small thing.

IMO the "drop" was clearly in 2011. Hell, in 2010 he sounded even better than 2006, at least to me.

I saw him late 2011 and he sounded fantastic. It just wasn't as good as the old days or 2006ish. he was still very very good.

No-  he was more consistent in 2014 than in 1991.

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »

I attended numerous shows in 2014 and he sounded great.

You always bring this up... And I totally agree, but with a caveat. What you hear in person and what people hear on recordings/broadcasts are two totally different things.
I know being in Boston in 2002 at the Fleet Center and hearing the soundboard are almost like two different shows I though Axl and Robin sounded better live than when I listened back on CD and DVD. Same with the Hammerstein shows, I thought he sounded amazing like and I though it sounded weak on DVD (granted this is a less clear audience recording than the Boston Soundboard). I'm sure the people who were in the crowd in London and Las Vegas for the live broadcasted shows think they sound better than I do. Part of it is the acoustics of the venue and part of it is the adrenaline of the live experience.

What they could have to worry about is You Tube after the first 5 shows effecting the casual fan dropping money on the rumored Stadium tour if it 'sounds' like Axl is being blown off the stage by Slash... because I can tell you, like his material or not, he has been spot on flawless in his last few DVD releases.

I was relating my experience, and he sounded great to me- if I'm not mistaken Duff mentioned how good he sounded too.

I don't dwell on If's- waste of time.

"Shut the fuck up."
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2016, 02:46:06 PM »

I agree all the way. The Jungle/Nightrain any screetch songs are just going to get harder.

If anything those are the songs he sounded the best on live even during his 'weak' period from 2011 to 2013 that people are mentioning. It's the songs where he was trying to sing more than scream to me that highlighted his weakness.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »

Could not agree more.

I know discrediting Youtube (when its convenient...certainly never seen it questioned when he sounds good) is a rich pastime around here, but the rest of the world is not similarly motivated.

If the first clips have him sounding like Vegas 2014, good.  If its sounds like Vegas 2012, not so good.

To fill stadiums, you need a lot of folks.  The less reason you can give them to doubt, the better.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2016, 02:46:29 PM »

I'm glad that's your opinion and not fact.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2016, 02:47:02 PM »

If anything those are the songs he sounded the best on live even during his 'weak' period from 2011 to 2013 that people are mentioning. It's the songs where he was trying to sing more than scream to me that highlighted his weakness.

I find 'You Could Be Mine' to be a good measuring stick.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2016, 02:48:05 PM »

That is my opinion of course, I wasn't stating it or trying to pass it off as fact. I attended shows both years.

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »

I agree with Emily, to a point.  Because she's so nice to me.

But seriously, if you call up those bootlegs from the summer of 1991, he sounds a little rough.  Certainly by the end of the US leg.

However, even at his worst in 1991 (whenever you deem that be) its nothing like early 2014.  

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2016, 02:49:44 PM »

However, it wouldn't be unusual for Axl to skip rehearsals. But, it's maybe not even any point in him being there at the beginning while the band figures out the music together anyways. Him singing for a full three months ahead might also present a risk of wear on the voice even before the tour starts. Better for the singer to join in the last weeks when the music starts to sound tight.

Agree with all of that.

However, I think it would be better from a camaraderie standpoint if he at least stuck his head in.  Even if he's not singing.

But right now we don't know if he's been at rehearsals, right? Maybe he is.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2016, 02:51:35 PM »

I was relating my experience, and he sounded great to me- if I'm not mistaken Duff mentioned how good he sounded too.

I don't dwell on If's- waste of time.

I understand your experience, but that is sort of uncommon... there are a small number of people who have attended as many shows as you, so those others do rely on places like youtube, and I don't think the experience translates to video as well.
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »

You can't say his vocals in 1991 were not better than his vocals in 2014.

That's just fucking nuts.

He sounded better in 1991 than 2014.

No way in hell that is even a debate.

But don't damn me
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2016, 02:56:42 PM »

I agree with Emily, to a point.  Because she's so nice to me.

But seriously, if you call up those bootlegs from the summer of 1991, he sounds a little rough.  Certainly by the end of the US leg.

However, even at his worst in 1991 (whenever you deem that be) its nothing like early 2014.  

Fucking turncoat... hihi

All I know is the last time we heard Axl sing, he sounded good.  Really good.  I was getting people at work excited for the Vegas shows (ok I was bragging to my co-workers that I'm going to both shows) and they were questioning whether Axl's still got it.  I immediately sent around the 6/6/14 Jungle performance.  Needless to say, all were impressed that he's still got it.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »

You can't say his vocals in 1991 were not better than his vocals in 2014.

That's just fucking nuts.

He sounded better in 1991 than 2014.

No way in hell that is even a debate.

I agree with your point, overall.  Other than 2006, I don't think any time in the relaunch he has sounded as good as he did back in the day.

But, the memory cheats.  If you compare the summer of 1991 with even the summer of 1992, world of difference there.  Sounds much better in 1992.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2016, 02:59:29 PM »

Yeah 92 was a little better

I'm just in shock that ANYONE... (it is Emily though) thinks that he sounded better in 2014 than in 1991

no fucking way

2006 was like one of the best though man. Wish I had seen him then.

wait

I had tickets to a show but it was postponed... then cancelled...

lol

But don't damn me
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2016, 03:00:41 PM »

I immediately sent around the 6/6/14 Jungle performance.  Needless to say, all were impressed that he's still got it.

Hahahaha.  Did the EXACT same thing with the EXACT same clip.

One of my brother's buddies posted some big long thing about tickets being $2,500 and then posting the Bridge School clip.  Which, let's be honest, is terrible.

So I swooped in to point out that was a one off benefit show where he was under the weather.  I did concede that he sounded like shit, but stressed that was not how he sounded every night.

And then I posted a clip of WTTJ from 6/6/14 to prove my point.  Again, conceding it's not exactly 1992 Axl, but still pretty damn good.

That's the weirdest thing about this place.  Here, I'm an enemy of the fucking state.  ANYWHERE ELSE...I'm considered and Axl fanboy/apologist.  A total mark.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2016, 03:05:42 PM »

Yeah 92 was a little better

I'm just in shock that ANYONE... (it is Emily though) thinks that he sounded better in 2014 than in 1991

no fucking way

2006 was like one of the best though man. Wish I had seen him then.

wait

I had tickets to a show but it was postponed... then cancelled...

lol

Can you read?

I said more consistent in 2014 than in 1991.

How many shows did you attend in 91-92?

"Shut the fuck up."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: