Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 11:48:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses: The Real Story Behind Their Return
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses: The Real Story Behind Their Return  (Read 32202 times)
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2016, 03:11:24 PM »

Agreed. If axl isn't 100 per cent vocally, he'll get destroyed. Most people I know are just itching to do it already!

Wow! I think you better get other kind of people around you if they are hoping that something goes wrong to destroy Axl  

That?s just low to say the least

It's not low- they just don't care! They only hear about GNR via me banging on about them! They see them as a joke (sadly) so will love the opportunity to criticize Axl.

The few that used to like them when we were kids have exactly the view that DX says- they wouldn't shell out any cash without evidence they can perform. I quite enjoy all these people from my past popping up though and asking me about them- my love of the band must have made a real impression on everyone when I was a kid!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2016, 03:14:32 PM »

Wow! I think you better get other kind of people around you if they are hoping that something goes wrong to destroy Axl  

Don't look at it that way.  That implies Axl Rose still holds a great deal of their interest in 2016.  That they are really hanging on the outcome here.  Not really.

It's actually the opposite.  If they hear shitty vocals and see him struggling on stage, they just check back out.  They aren't going to listen to our impassioned pleas to ignore what they hear, insist its all fine, or how wild and dangerous it all is.

They are just going to say "eh...thanks, but no thanks, he's done."  That they were willing to give it a chance, but not now.  That sort of thing.

I strongly disagree..

How many people out there are honestly going to go on youtube to hear how he sounds in Vegas and Coachella to be the determining factor if they buy a ticket over the course of the summer?

People who are interested in seeing Axl and Slash together, who maybe haven't paid to go see DJ and Ron the past few years... they are going to go no matter what Axl may sound like the first couple of weeks.

This is rock n roll history.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »

Don't look at it that way.  That implies Axl Rose still holds a great deal of their interest in 2016.  That they are really hanging on the outcome here.  Not really.

It's actually the opposite.  If they hear shitty vocals and see him struggling on stage, they just check back out.  They aren't going to listen to our impassioned pleas to ignore what they hear, insist its all fine, or how wild and dangerous it all is.

They are just going to say "eh...thanks, but no thanks, he's done."  That they were willing to give it a chance, but not now.  That sort of thing.

I strongly disagree..

How many people out there are honestly going to go on youtube to hear how he sounds in Vegas and Coachella to be the determining factor if they buy a ticket over the course of the summer?

People who are interested in seeing Axl and Slash together, who maybe haven't paid to go see DJ and Ron the past few years... they are going to go no matter what Axl may sound like the first couple of weeks.

This is rock n roll history.

There is SOME truth to this.  Even though its a different market, selling out Vegas so quickly proves this.  Because GNR in 2014 wouldn't have sold out two shows in Vegas @ 20k each

Like I stated in a different thread however, a better indication of interest will come once a couple other US cities are announced. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:20:11 PM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2016, 03:19:26 PM »

I think once dates are announced and we all start polling our friends, they aren't just going to take our word at face value because they know we aren't the least bit objective.

Now, I am.  At least, I think I am.  I know around here, some define that as me serving up Haterade by the gallon.  I can't help that.

But I have retained credibility with my friends on the topic of Axl Rose.  I've shown them clips I feel are good, and clips I feel are bad.  You have to do that, or you just come off like a fanboy detached from reality saying everything is super awesome.

But as much as they may see me as a straight shooter, they are unlikely to fork out $150-$250 without at least doing a quick check of their own.  I have to think that is not going to be a phenomenon exclusive to the 20 or so people I am talking about in the suburbs of Philadelphia.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2016, 03:23:07 PM »

I think once dates are announced and we all start polling our friends, they aren't just going to take our word at face value because they know we aren't the least bit objective.

Now, I am.  At least, I think I am.  I know around here, some define that as me serving up Haterade by the gallon.  I can't help that.

But I have retained credibility with my friends on the topic of Axl Rose.  I've shown them clips I feel are good, and clips I feel are bad.  You have to do that, or you just come off like a fanboy detached from reality saying everything is super awesome.

But as much as they may see me as a straight shooter, they are unlikely to fork out $150-$250 without at least doing a quick check of their own.  I have to think that is not going to be a phenomenon exclusive to the 20 or so people I am talking about in the suburbs of Philadelphia.

Agree with that totally, from a UK perspective!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Princess Leia
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2016, 03:27:28 PM »

Agreed. If axl isn't 100 per cent vocally, he'll get destroyed. Most people I know are just itching to do it already!

It's not low- they just don't care! They only hear about GNR via me banging on about them! They see them as a joke (sadly) so will love the opportunity to criticize Axl.

The few that used to like them when we were kids have exactly the view that DX says- they wouldn't shell out any cash without evidence they can perform. I quite enjoy all these people from my past popping up though and asking me about them- my love of the band must have made a real impression on everyone when I was a kid!

If they don?t care then they should focus on other bands they like. Instead they want things to go wrong so they would love to destroy Axl???
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »

And let's not forget he will be on stage with Slash and Duff, which will make it even easier and more pleasent to the media destroy him making all the absurd comparisons.

I really don't want to make any excuses for him as I know I've made in the past.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 03:35:30 PM »

If they don?t care then they should focus on other bands they like. Instead they want things to go wrong so they would love to destroy Axl???

I should probably stop mentioning them to them really! I imagine they would go through their lives unaware of the band, other than hearing SCOM at awful 80s bars if it wasn't for me!  Hard not to share some level of excitement though with friends.

Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2016, 03:57:40 PM »

I should probably stop mentioning them to them really! I imagine they would go through their lives unaware of the band, other than hearing SCOM at awful 80s bars if it wasn't for me!  Hard not to share some level of excitement though with friends.
[/quote]

Totally get you! LOL
Continental_Drift
Headliner

MaoAxl (98-12)

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »

So, Arlett Vereecke mentions Chinese Democracy and Madagascar specifically as songs being rehearsed.

I guess CD makes sense as it was the single, and maybe most well-known to the casual fan. Madagascar is a choice I like, but not sure about the reasoning behind it, it was played at the VMAs as well, so it might be for familiarity?

There will probably be a whole lot of people at these concerts that didn't attend in the past 15 years...

Yeah- "CD" for the reason you raise. As far as "Madagascar" goes- could be way off- but Loder was so glowing about it at RIR III (and rightly so- as it was a tremendous performance)- even comparing it to the Beatles- that I kind of wonder if it's stuck with Axl as a "well-respected" song through the years. It showed up at the VMA's for one and certainly got lots of play on the Chinese tour(s). Who knows though? Perhaps it's as simple as 5-6 Chinese songs were put forward as options- and "Madagascar" was the one Slash and Duff were most into? Certainly has that Illusions "epic-ness"/drama to it that they would be well-acquainted with IMHO... peace

#GnFnR
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2016, 04:29:35 PM »

So, Arlett Vereecke mentions Chinese Democracy and Madagascar specifically as songs being rehearsed.

I guess CD makes sense as it was the single, and maybe most well-known to the casual fan. Madagascar is a choice I like, but not sure about the reasoning behind it, it was played at the VMAs as well, so it might be for familiarity?

There will probably be a whole lot of people at these concerts that didn't attend in the past 15 years...

Yeah- "CD" for the reason you raise. As far as "Madagascar" goes- could be way off- but Loder was so glowing about it at RIR III (and rightly so- as it was a tremendous performance)- even comparing it to the Beatles- that I kind of wonder if it's stuck with Axl as a "well-respected" song through the years. It showed up at the VMA's for one and certainly got lots of play on the Chinese tour(s). Who knows though? Perhaps it's as simple as 5-6 Chinese songs were put forward as options- and "Madagascar" was the one Slash and Duff were most into? Certainly has that Illusions "epic-ness"/drama to it that they would be well-acquainted with IMHO... peace

It's also fits Slash's style of playing way better than a lot of the other songs.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »

I've always thought Street Of Dreams would fit Slash's style really well.

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2016, 04:58:20 PM »

Thanks for posting this Spirit.

Aren't all the people who gave quotes for this article no longer associated with GNR?? as in hasn't been involved with any aspect of the workings of GNR since like way before 1995??

And isn't that Arlett person that says GNR wouldn't reunite because of Axl's distain of Slash's ex-wife, in fact the same person fired from her duties with VR by Perla?

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2016, 05:43:47 PM »

One of the more interesting articles I've read since the reunion was announced.

FWIW I think the fans will be a mixed Bag. Those first shows have to be strong, in fact they really need to blow the roof off. It's the old saying, first impressions count, and the media is just itching to write up some shitty reviews so it's really on Axl to perform at a level. There's no indication that slash and duff won't be tight so it really is all on Axl at this point.

The part about rehearsing and laying down tracks is hard not to get excited about even if it is speculation. I wish I lived locally to that studio lol
I'd be hanging around daily sniffing for some sort of evidence lol

Hopefully Axl does get in there and rehearse, this band needs to be tight and it needs to be seen as a stable venture, Axl being absent from all of this just fuels the speculation and probably adds more pressure to the fact he needs to bring his A game on night 1.

I still think however that he will blow them away. Axl will get this right, as DX said, I don't know why and I have no evidence, but he will
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2016, 05:49:33 PM »

I think it depends on the media coverage honestly. If they rip his performance to shreds, people may choose to pass on buying tickets. If he gets heaps of praise, they'll be much more likely to shell out the dough. But your average music fan doesn't go out searching for setlists, YouTube clips of live performances, etc. They hear a band or artist is touring and they decide if they'd like to go see them. I really don't think as much investigative research gets done as you might think. Again, unless it's handed to them.

I shared some not so flattering clips from Rock in Rio 2011 with friends before attending a local show. I also shared good clips and reviews from future shows to balance things out. The negatives had more of an impact though, and some of my friends had low expectations heading to the show. Happy to say, they were pleasantly surprised when it was all said and done. But if I hadn't shared any of that information with them, they would have gone in with a clean slate. Obviously these shows will get a lot more attention so people won't have to work as hard to seek out the information. So that's why the media coverage may matter more than it has in the past.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »

Decent article giving a solid summary of everything that has happened to date.

No issues there. However what are people like Niven basing the "oh yeah they have at least a few songs done" stuff on? That just seems like wild speculation.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2016, 07:31:39 PM »

And, as an opposing anecdote, i have about a dozen plus folks i socialize with begging me to txt them when i hear tickets go on sale, and more than half are begging me to get tickets via the advance sale for nightrain members (i've said no, just cause i'm not comfortable fronting or passing around that kind of mbey amongst friends..lalways trouble, imho).

Anecdotes are like assholes. We all have one....even if its a bit different.

What we know is: vegas and mexico have both sold out (or practically so, for the 2nd mexico show), fast. So there is definitive evidence that there is interest, and people willing to buy tickets, sight unseen. Right?

We will see if that carries over to mult cities and dates....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:36:21 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2016, 09:31:46 PM »

Axl surely knows whats on the line. I expect him to be as professional about this as should be expected.  With big money comes big responsibilities.  Axl wouldn't put himself in this situation if he weren't planning to be ready. 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2016, 12:20:38 AM »

That was a good article thanks for posting.    Didn't really like some of the comments here from some daily ball cap wearing, non traveling homebodies.   

But

The article was good
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 06:47:24 AM »

That was a good article thanks for posting.    Didn't really like some of the comments here from some daily ball cap wearing, non traveling homebodies.   

But

The article was good

You mean by that-fans who live in the real world and are aware not everyone likes GNR?

Not sure what you're getting at with the 'non traveling homebodies' dig though. Pretty weird.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: