Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash on Atlas Shrugged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash on Atlas Shrugged  (Read 28841 times)
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« on: March 09, 2016, 12:13:18 PM »

Does that mean that there a two solos on that song (from both Slash and Bumblefoot) or just one solo from Slash?

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 12:33:16 PM »

I see zero reason to keep Bumblefoot on there now.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 12:38:29 PM »

I think its possible. They kept Bucketheads and Robins guitar solos too when they left the band.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 03:38:05 PM »

I think its possible. They kept Bucketheads and Robins guitar solos too when they left the band.

They also were the ones that created it though.

In my opinion, Bumblefoot was only shoehorned onto CD stuff to give the appearance of collaboration.  So you could shut down the taunt he was just a hired hand.

Well, now he's gone, n'er to return.  So I don't see why we have to keep playing pretend.  He was just a hired hand.  We can say it out loud now.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 06:59:40 PM »

Did I miss something or are we talking hypotheticals here?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »

There was a rumor that Slash has contributed a solo on that song.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 07:07:27 PM »

There was a rumor that Slash has contributed a solo on that song.

Where did it come from?

EDIT: Ah, I just saw it came from MSL.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:11:47 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 08:54:26 PM »

I agree with DX here... if Slash is recording these songs, he is rerecording the lead guitar tracks from scratch. I can't see Bucket, Robin, or the other two sticking around. I would guess that only Richards rhythm work will remain.

If you are going to release something under this lineup drop all parts from  Bucket, Robin, Ron, DJ, Tommy, Brain, and anyone else that is no longer here. I think the power of Slash and Duff help legitimize things in the eyes of the label so we are less likely to see an overly layered track that people make Axl continually rework... I would also look to cut Harp arraignments and any of the BS orchestra stuff that muddied up some of the CD songs, but let Dizzy and Chris (if still there) fill in gaps where needed.
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 01:42:41 PM »

Are you serious? Buckethead, Robin, Tommy, Brain and the others helped to create those songs. It would be disrespectful to erase their parts.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 03:38:08 PM »

Are you serious? Buckethead, Robin, Tommy, Brain and the others helped to create those songs. It would be disrespectful to erase their parts.

No, I agree with you on this point.  For the reason you say, they created this material.  Totally agree.

But I don't feel that extends to Ron, or DJ, for that matter.  People got their panties in a bunch anytime they were referred to as hired hands.  That those years were not a band in the true sense, but rather a touring band for play songs for Axl to sing. 

I'm just asking if we have to keep that up.  Even while they were there, several of us pointed out they were never involved in creating, writing, or recording anything of note.  Now that they are gone...and never created, wrote, or recorded anything of note...can't we just say what it is with those two?

Do we need to keep up that charade?  I say no.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »

Very serious... If Slash and Duff record parts, re-record all of it. We already got an album with songs that had as many as 5 guitar players on the track... either release whats in the vault as is, or make it the band as currently constituted, but don't add Slash as the 6th guitarist to a song with 12-15 year old Bucket tracks. They cut all of Josh's parts for Brain (he re-recorded it beat for beat) so why not do the same here? Paul, Bucket, and Robin have been gone for 15, 12, and 8 years respectively, and each chose to do it.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 08:45:58 PM »

Does that mean that there a two solos on that song (from both Slash and Bumblefoot) or just one solo from Slash?
Do we know that the song has two solos? I may have missed something here.

Sosso
VIP

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 09:03:51 PM »

Do we know that the song has two solos? I may have missed something here.

Bumblefoot has talked about that song in the past

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 09:15:55 PM »

Oh ok, thanks. I'll search for some more info. Smiley

Sosso
VIP

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 10:01:46 PM »

"Atlas Shrugged, I was going to tell a little story about that song. Right now on my laptop, I actually have the old guitar solo that I played for that song, when, two days before the album was going to be mastered, I was like, let's see if we can squeeze it on to the album. I busted out some guitar tracks for it, I have my own studio...
But, because the CD could only be 74 minutes max, and it would've taken it past the limit of what a CD can store, we couldn't put Atlas Shrugged on Chinese Democracy. It wasn't worth making a two-CD album with just one song on the other CD, so hopefully, on ChiDem 2, it'll have Atlas Shrugged on there. Interesting song." (Bumblefoot, Eat More Heat, March 2013)
http://www.gnrevolution.com/song.php?pid=253206#p253206

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 08:19:46 AM »

"Atlas Shrugged, I was going to tell a little story about that song. Right now on my laptop, I actually have the old guitar solo that I played for that song, when, two days before the album was going to be mastered, I was like, let's see if we can squeeze it on to the album. I busted out some guitar tracks for it, I have my own studio...
But, because the CD could only be 74 minutes max, and it would've taken it past the limit of what a CD can store, we couldn't put Atlas Shrugged on Chinese Democracy. It wasn't worth making a two-CD album with just one song on the other CD, so hopefully, on ChiDem 2, it'll have Atlas Shrugged on there. Interesting song." (Bumblefoot, Eat More Heat, March 2013)
http://www.gnrevolution.com/song.php?pid=253206#p253206
Thanks. This one I remember, I may have actually watched the streaming live by that time. But I didn't find info about two solos and Buckethead being on it.

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 10:14:58 AM »

They also were the ones that created it though.

In my opinion, Bumblefoot was only shoehorned onto CD stuff to give the appearance of collaboration.  So you could shut down the taunt he was just a hired hand.

Well, now he's gone, n'er to return.  So I don't see why we have to keep playing pretend.  He was just a hired hand.  We can say it out loud now.

Outside of Axl, Dizzy, Stinson and Finck... they were all hired hands to me.

bumble and ashba were just hired guitar players, yeah Bucket played on the album too, but he was way too isolated from the band to be considered part of it in whole.

So that's that.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 10:18:21 AM »

I disagree. This is Axl's machine. He wrote the words for it in some way, either as solo writer or a co-writer. He "owns" the name right boys?

We all love that aspect of him owning the name right? So he can do whatever he wants right...?  hihi

For a song that's been in the bucket for going on 17 years now... does it really matter if its being re-recorded by the original/main (save it on Tracii) guitarist?

I'm sure SLash will put his own spin on the track anyways. He's not going to be playing "someone" else's riff that's for sure.

Over the last 16 years... other people mostly have been playing Slash's riffs and Izzy's riffs...

Like I said... that's that.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 10:55:29 AM »

I disagree. This is Axl's machine. He wrote the words for it in some way, either as solo writer or a co-writer. He "owns" the name right boys?

We all love that aspect of him owning the name right? So he can do whatever he wants right...?  hihi

For a song that's been in the bucket for going on 17 years now... does it really matter if its being re-recorded by the original/main (save it on Tracii) guitarist?

I'm sure SLash will put his own spin on the track anyways. He's not going to be playing "someone" else's riff that's for sure.

Over the last 16 years... other people mostly have been playing Slash's riffs and Izzy's riffs...

Yes, at concerts and sessions. They didn't replaced Slashs guitar work on unreleased studio tracks. There is a difference
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:31:18 PM by Sosso » Logged

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 12:44:25 PM »

Yes, at concerts and sessions. They didn't replaced Slashs guitar work on unreleased studio tracks. There is a difference

They actually did something similar when Axl had them re-record Appetite... we heard part of that during the credits of Big Daddy, and if Axl had his way we would have heard it during Black Hawk Down.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: