Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:32:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Is it possible Slash and Duff are simply "filling in" for BBF/DJ/Tommy?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it possible Slash and Duff are simply "filling in" for BBF/DJ/Tommy?  (Read 11759 times)
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« on: March 10, 2016, 08:21:16 PM »

Given the lack of promotion, news and what have you about these concerts, I have to wonder:

Is it at all possible that Slash and Duff aren't 'returning to the fold' as full time members, but merely helping Axl fill missing places in the band with the unwanted/unexpected departures of BBF, Tommy and DJ? Perhaps Axl had planned for GN'R to tour this year, had venues etc lineup but with Bumblefoot playing footsy for the past year, and then DJ and Tommy suddenly and unexpectedly giving notice, maybe Axl called Slash and Duff? It's been said that the release of the 2012 London show helped ease tensions between Slash and himself, and he was already on good terms with Duff....

Is it possible, then, that the reason why a full tour hasn't been rolled out, and why this is being treated as basically "business as usual", is because Slash and Duff are temporarily filling the spots created by the departures of Bumblefoot, Tommy and Frank? As in, to Axl, it's not a "reunion" and as such isn't being marketed or treated as such, and also that would explain the lack of promotion. Perhaps Slash and Duff are doing Axl a favor and helping him fulfill concert obligations, and as soon as he finds "proper" replacements for DJ, BBF and Tommy, Slash and Duff will be out again. Basically, a situation akin to when Izzy was called to fill in for Gilby. Everyone still was angry at Izzy, and there wasn't much to-do made of his return for 5 concerts by the band; he simply did the band a favor, and then went home when he was no longer needed.

Could something similar be happening here?
gunslipk
Opening Act

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »

The only thing I know is that nothing will be the same, and I'm cool with it.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 08:35:32 PM »

No, Axl wouldn't set himself in a similar position as he saw himself being in back in 1996/97.

If Slash and Duff do some shows now, and then disappears, Axl will have a hard time moving forward once again.

He can do it of course, but the media and fans will be relentless.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 08:37:58 PM »

I don't think that their are just "filling in". Slash is not the guy to do such a thing.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 08:40:07 PM »

Perhaps Slash and Duff are doing Axl a favor and helping him fulfill concert obligations, and as soon as he finds "proper" replacements for DJ, BBF and Tommy, Slash and Duff will be out again.

The thing is, I think these concert obligations were planned and announced after Axl got back together with Slash and Duff.

Sweetness is a virtue
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 09:13:11 PM »

Perhaps Slash and Duff are doing Axl a favor and helping him fulfill concert obligations, and as soon as he finds "proper" replacements for DJ, BBF and Tommy, Slash and Duff will be out again.

The thing is, I think these concert obligations were planned and announced after Axl got back together with Slash and Duff.

Yes Sr.

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 09:34:28 PM »

Given the lack of promotion, news and what have you about these concerts, I have to wonder:

Is it at all possible that Slash and Duff aren't 'returning to the fold' as full time members, but merely helping Axl fill missing places in the band with the unwanted/unexpected departures of BBF, Tommy and DJ? Perhaps Axl had planned for GN'R to tour this year, had venues etc lineup but with Bumblefoot playing footsy for the past year, and then DJ and Tommy suddenly and unexpectedly giving notice, maybe Axl called Slash and Duff? It's been said that the release of the 2012 London show helped ease tensions between Slash and himself, and he was already on good terms with Duff....

Is it possible, then, that the reason why a full tour hasn't been rolled out, and why this is being treated as basically "business as usual", is because Slash and Duff are temporarily filling the spots created by the departures of Bumblefoot, Tommy and Frank? As in, to Axl, it's not a "reunion" and as such isn't being marketed or treated as such, and also that would explain the lack of promotion.

I don't think so.  I'm seeing people talk about lack of promotion, but there is nothing to promote, the shows are all sold out.  They are purposely keeping the media out of this, and I think it is a great move.  When the shows are all sold out, the media has nothing to offer. Eddie Trunk said Slash's people said there will be no media until after the first few shows right?  So that's that.  Personally I'd be surprised if you see Axl do any interviews, not saying he wont, just saying I'd be surprised.  I think if anything Slash and Duff will do most of the media that the band decides to do.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »

Eddie Trunk said Slash's people said there will be no media until after the first few shows right?

Hmm, it hadn't occurred to me before just now. Since Slash's people said that, wouldn't it would be safe to assume the rest of the tour won't be announced until after the first shows? Given they surely have to do some promotion if they are to do stadiums.

Seems like they might have known for some time when they will start going out there talking to the media.

Sweetness is a virtue
GNRMTL
Headliner

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 09:50:50 PM »

Oh my goodness are you for real?  Lock this shit up.  And promotion Guns hasn't gotten this much airplay in years.  I'd say the no promotion has been serious promotion.

Miami 92
Montreal 92
Toronto 02
4 nights at the Hammerstein
Ottowa 06
Montreal 10
Hiro 12
Miami Filmore 12
Montreal 13
New Jersey 16
Montreal 17
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 10:04:09 PM »

Salsh From August 2015, Not Says... NOTHING !!!

Shocked

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 10:39:06 PM »

BULLSHIT thread...NO.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 11:01:36 PM »

NO

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 02:45:09 AM »

The only thing I know is that nothing will be the same, and I'm cool with it.
possibly except for one thing - releasing stuff. I highly doubt things will change anytime soon at this (and I'd be happy to be proven totally wrong Grin )

eagle1209
Opening Act

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 03:45:34 AM »

The answer is NO
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 05:11:20 AM »

Absolutely not!

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 05:31:26 AM »

Well considering Axl's Vocals and energy onstage have been slipping a lot since 2006 and the difference between the 2010 shows and the 2014 are astonishing. Giving the fact that the old band (bbf, dj, tommy) never entered the studio to do a release with that line up and they were only a touring band. And that Slash and Duff in the band, for now, only means bigger venues but still mostly touring.

I'd say we're probably only gonna get concerts, which is fine by me, but watching videos from 2006, i don't think they're going to sound better, because Axl doesn't run anymore, just sits and stands there, doesn't really give an energy performance vocal wise, so that's pretty boring. I know he's getting old, but he's also terribly outta shape, which makes the latter concerts very boring IMHO.

I hope he's eating less carbs and working out so that he can try to deliver performances like in 2006 or San juan in 2010.

Slash can get fat all he wants, because we love him for his fingers and they're even faster now than back in 1993 when gn'r last toured.

If they do release music, then we can stop focusing on how the live shows pale in comparison to the old ones, because at least, they wouldn't be just selling the live shows.

Chinese Democracy!
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »

No, I don't think so.

But I don't know they are "back" in the sense that they are a band again.  I have no real expectations other than this tour.

I would obviously revise that if there actually is something new released with them on it.  But I have huge doubts about that.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 09:39:50 PM »

No, I don't think so.

But I don't know they are "back" in the sense that they are a band again.  I have no real expectations other than this tour.

I would obviously revise that if there actually is something new released with them on it.  But I have huge doubts about that.

I agree.  People (including myself sometimes) are having a grand old time speculating about new releases, even to level of who's playing how many solos on named songs... but there's not guarantee we'll get anything other than a tour.  In fact, until we see the dates, there's no guarantee that we'll get anything more than the shows that are announced now.

I certainly don't see Axl putting together yet another lineup after this one, but then again, you never know what's next with Guns N' Roses.  My money would be on occasional tours and festival gigs, with maybe the occasional new song here and there, maybe even an album.  But who can say?

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 07:24:23 AM »

Only thing we can guarantee is what's been confirmed....and we all know that can disappoint us at any time. I for one won't be confident until they're on stage in front of me. Been let down too many times over the years.

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 01:17:06 AM »

No. Mainly because most of the people who left, left because SLash and Duff came back.
At least that's how I see Tommy and DJ departures.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: