Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:39:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl confirmed as new singer for AC/DC tour (June 1, 2016: US dates announced)
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl confirmed as new singer for AC/DC tour (June 1, 2016: US dates announced)  (Read 488228 times)
alcapone_dudu
Rocker

Black Frog

« Reply #2340 on: February 09, 2018, 08:12:28 AM »

I'm feeling very selfish saying that but if it really happens it would be great. The best rock n' roll singer of all time with one of the best rock bands ever is a perfect combination.

It's definitely a good thing no matter how hard people try to turn it into a bad thing.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #2341 on: February 10, 2018, 12:32:51 AM »

I'm feeling very selfish saying that but if it really happens it would be great. The best rock n' roll singer of all time with one of the best rock bands ever is a perfect combination.

It's definitely a good thing no matter how hard people try to turn it into a bad thing.

No, it would be the best rock n roll singer with 1 member of one of the best rock bands ever.  That's a weird hybrid, no matter how hard you're trying to quote the legendary Diamond Dallas Page!   Tongue

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:37:06 AM by Bridge » Logged
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #2342 on: February 10, 2018, 01:04:03 AM »

Apparently some people here did not even read the synopsis of the article posted on this very damn thread, which very clearly states that Murray Engelheart is a noted authority on AC/DC (and in fact their official biographer). Not just "some guy spouting off rumors".

That said, the way he words it, I think he is saying that Angus liked Axl and wants to continue working with him, whatever form that may take. Obviously that could include an album, but he is clearly not saying that an album is in the works at any stage. Just that it's a possibility. Maybe Angus is considering it but has not even mentioned it to Axl yet, or even considered how it would fit in the schedule. And maybe if he did, Axl would respond that Guns is a priority in that regard and it would have to wait. So this does not even necessarily mean that a Guns album isn't in the pipeline.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #2343 on: February 10, 2018, 06:34:22 AM »

"Speculate all you want but I?ve said it before and I?ll say it again: AC/DC will continue with Axl on vocals - new album, touring, the whole nine yards.
What was a massive gamble by Angus turned out to be an equally enormous triumph that has set the scene for the future.""

sounds more than "a possibility" to me.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #2344 on: February 10, 2018, 02:31:58 PM »

"Speculate all you want but I?ve said it before and I?ll say it again: AC/DC will continue with Axl on vocals - new album, touring, the whole nine yards.
What was a massive gamble by Angus turned out to be an equally enormous triumph that has set the scene for the future.""

sounds more than "a possibility" to me.

Well, like I said, Angus may want to do an album [at some point], but may not have even passed the idea by Axl yet and therefore it could get put off by existing touring commitments or even a Guns album if that's already in the works at any stage. Because if there is any work going on behind the scenes on a Guns album, there is no question that becomes the #1 priority. The record company would never let him go off "wasting time" with Angus when he has a commitment to them for a project that could be insanely lucrative like that.

Think of it like Slash's Snakept's first album. The record company cut their touring funding once they basically paid off what it cost to make the album because they wanted him back with GNR working on the next album. It would be a funny and ironic twist if that were what Axl did this time around though. hihi

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2345 on: February 11, 2018, 02:48:22 AM »

How viable is that next tour though?

Keep in mind that a lot of us (myself included) were able to get seats on the secondary market from AC/DC fans that were pissed.  They didn't want to see Axl Rose.  But since the tickets were already sold based on seeing Brian, the shows were still in big spots.   

But a tour where you are upfront from the jump that it's Axl, and not Brain?  Do AC/DC fans still pack basketball arenas in the U.S. and soccer stadiums in Europe?  Would we do that for a Axl-less GNR?

Just think about us.  I loved my show.  But am I going again?  I've pretty much seen it, no?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #2346 on: February 11, 2018, 04:38:27 AM »

I had a great time when I saw Axl perform with AC DC....but this would be a kick in the gut...

After all these years... to have an ACDC record before a GNR one...

Especially with all the momentum the GNR name has at the moment...

Hopefully...this turns out to be false and GNR and a GNR record remain a priority over an ACDC record.
It might actually prove to be the catalyst to get him in the studio with GnR. If the experience and the Axl/dc record is received well, it may be the driver to see new music from our band.  It could also see him dipping his toes into the burning oils of the record industry practices these days, without his own creation being shafted. An old hand in Angus, will certainly help him see things working from a different perspective, and hopefully a positive one.

I've been thinking about this since writing it and think I might be wrong. 

I'd like to revise my comments to perhaps GnR going to the studio and releasing a single (or two) to both see how they'd be received and to add something new to the tour setlist
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #2347 on: February 11, 2018, 01:41:02 PM »

Keep in mind that a lot of us (myself included) were able to get seats on the secondary market from AC/DC fans that were pissed.  They didn't want to see Axl Rose.  But since the tickets were already sold based on seeing Brian, the shows were still in big spots.   

But a tour where you are upfront from the jump that it's Axl, and not Brain?  Do AC/DC fans still pack basketball arenas in the U.S. and soccer stadiums in Europe?  Would we do that for a Axl-less GNR?

Just think about us.  I loved my show.  But am I going again?  I've pretty much seen it, no?

My experience has been different in this regard
I know plenty of Ac/Dc fans who saw the shows and said Axl knocked it out of the park AND that they would see this show again.

I get that Axl turns some people off but my opinion is that a lot of Ac/Dc fans are also Gn'r fans - and if you have to replace Johnson - this is one of the better choices available

Unless of course there are Ac/Dc fans that want to hire a Mark Wahlberg/Rockstar type of singer confused
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #2348 on: February 12, 2018, 12:19:12 AM »

My experience has been different in this regard
I know plenty of Ac/Dc fans who saw the shows and said Axl knocked it out of the park AND that they would see this show again.

I get that Axl turns some people off but my opinion is that a lot of Ac/Dc fans are also Gn'r fans - and if you have to replace Johnson - this is one of the better choices available

Unless of course there are Ac/Dc fans that want to hire a Mark Wahlberg/Rockstar type of singer confused

Yeah, there are an unfortunately large number of AC/DC "fans" who want Joel from Airbourne or the guy from Krokus (god help us!). They'd rather have a shitty imitation than a fresh take from an incredible singer. It boggles the mind. But then, the complainers are always the loudest. If you judged by comments on youtube, everyone hated Axl. But we know that wasn't the case. I'm certainly a fan of both bands and I loved it. They didn't play near me though, so I'd be all over another tour.

Bridge
Legend

« Reply #2349 on: February 12, 2018, 01:28:32 AM »

What was a massive gamble by Angus turned out to be an equally enormous triumph that has set the scene for the future."

Something else to consider is that ever since the 1990s, AC/DC has gone 5-8 years between new albums, and that was WITH the classic lineup. 

Axl on the other hand, went 17 years in between new albums, and it's now been 10 years since his last release.

So even if the biographer is "official" doesn't necessarily mean he's got a full handle on the situation.  Hell, the band members themselves often don't know.
DeN
Legend

« Reply #2350 on: February 12, 2018, 01:08:05 PM »

yeah, but don't forget we're in 2018, and Axl is 56 and Angus 62.

Bridge
Legend

« Reply #2351 on: February 12, 2018, 06:37:20 PM »

yeah, but don't forget we're in 2018, and Axl is 56 and Angus 62.

Which means what?  Age typically means they're going to be even longer in between albums.
DeN
Legend

« Reply #2352 on: February 13, 2018, 01:14:43 PM »

meaning time flies, if you want to do things at that level, you can't wait for
another 10 years, because you get older and things are more difficult to do.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2353 on: February 13, 2018, 05:24:56 PM »

If Axl hasn't been inspired by any of this the past 2 years, why is that going to suddenly happen now?

The fact he's agreed to work with AC/DC so quickly tells you what still excites him.  And what he simply sees as his day job to pay the bills.

I still wouldn't trade this last tour for anything though.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #2354 on: February 14, 2018, 03:44:38 AM »

And what he simply sees as his day job to pay the bills.

I doubt he needs a day job to pay the bills. It has to be something else.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2355 on: February 14, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »

Let's examine that claim for a moment.

Despite their iconic status, this is not a band with a large catalog.  So royalties aren't what they could be.  Couple that with the fact that he was in a bad mood for 20 years and lived to spite his former bandmates.  That limited licensing opportunities.

He may have calmed down lately, but for far too long he was irascible and argumentative as hell.  Just try and fathom what his legal bills have been.

We've seen his house.  The sheer upkeep of that place costs more than a shiny penny.

But then there is the real kicker.  He left a flat out fortune on the table resisting any sort of reunion as he did the whole stop and go routine with the whole misadventure that was 'Chinese Democracy'.  The studio stopped paying for stuff.  The tours, such as they were, were total haphazard affairs.  Either in smaller places with smaller gates, or larger places that were nowhere close to full.  And he had a whole band to pay with those limited funds.

End of the day, is he clipping coupons?  Hardly.  Do I think he needed these past 2 years to make up for a lot of sins and miscalculations over the past 20?  I sure do.

SirTed
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2356 on: February 14, 2018, 04:49:57 PM »

I personally loved what Axl did with AC/DC.

I'd go so far as to say (gasp), I'm more excited about seeing Axl/DC in 2018/19 than I would be the GNR Reunion for a 3rd time. Guns is still my favorite band, but I really LOVED everything I saw Axl do with ACDC.

Further, not only is it reasonable to assume that Axl would love the payday (not that he needs it). But I remember seeing or hearing quotes from Axl along the lines of (paraphrasing) - It was refreshing to be able to just show up and wail. He didn't have  to shoulder all the usual responsibility that he would on a Guns tour. He could just show up and do his job. He's obviously a creative guy, and I don't think the paraphrased quote above reflects on his ambitions for Guns, but sometimes it's nice to just show up and work, and not have to worry about the big picture for a while. I dunno.

Do you, Axl.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2357 on: February 14, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »

Eh, ya know, the more I think about it I kinda feel like an Axl/DC album would sound cooler than anything GNR could put together in 2018. And probably more like classic Guns ironically.  And with Axl on vocals it would be just as GNR as Chinese Democracy was.
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #2358 on: February 15, 2018, 01:16:33 AM »

Let's examine that claim for a moment.

Not sure about the sources but sounds about right:

https://www.bankrate.com/lifestyle/celebrity-money/axl-rose-net

https://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celeb/axl-rose-net-worth

So, they say the man was recently worth $150m (that doesn't include whatever came from the succesful tour), which should be enough for most things. Of course, the figure is low as fuck compared to what could've been.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2359 on: February 15, 2018, 07:09:01 AM »

Further, not only is it reasonable to assume that Axl would love the payday (not that he needs it). But I remember seeing or hearing quotes from Axl along the lines of (paraphrasing) - It was refreshing to be able to just show up and wail. He didn't have  to shoulder all the usual responsibility that he would on a Guns tour. He could just show up and do his job. He's obviously a creative guy, and I don't think the paraphrased quote above reflects on his ambitions for Guns, but sometimes it's nice to just show up and work, and not have to worry about the big picture for a while. I dunno.

I also tend to think this plays a role in all this.

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: