Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:27:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227806 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Time to bring Robin back
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Time to bring Robin back  (Read 39323 times)
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2016, 11:47:49 PM »

It's hilarious that anyone thinks Robin was not important to the band or should just be forgotten. If he wasn't a great guitarist do you really think Axl would have wanted him to replace slash?  Roll Eyes
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 12:02:53 AM »

I like Robin, but why would anyone want him back in the fold now?

He left Gn'R 2 times.

He's my favorite lead player in NU Gn'R. I like some of the things he worked on in CD. So who cares about any of this shit really?

At the same time, this is also a great time to discuss Nu Gn'R, since that chapter is closed, for good.

It isn't about bashing Nu Gn'R, it is about being able to truly evaluate it, since it is done.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 12:15:43 AM »

I don't really like the terms "old" and "new". GN'R will always be GN'R for me.  Like a book with different chapters

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 08:04:34 AM »

Yeah I've thought about that way of thinking about it, and for me I just can't.

I guess maybe the transition of Gn'R, then everyone leaving besides Axl and Dizzy, it was kinda like a reset or something.

Then the revolving door of guitarists coming in around Axl/Dizzy/Tommy. That just kinda makes it feel like a separate thing for me.

But don't damn me
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »

In my book, it's always GNR. I jumped a few chapters when Ashba came on board and even closed the book for a while, but here I am, back in this field.

All I am trying to say is that Robin is part of the GNR history, like it or not. And yeah, it is Guns N' Roses history, even more now that Slash and Duff are back and playing Robin's songs.

Why are you insisting on this? Only one person really wanted him back now.

Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 09:34:40 AM »

It's hilarious that anyone thinks Robin was not important to the band or should just be forgotten. If he wasn't a great guitarist do you really think Axl would have wanted him to replace slash?  Roll Eyes

Axl did a lot of other stupid things, so why not ...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:15:31 PM by Nikki_Sixx » Logged

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Continental_Drift
Headliner

MaoAxl (98-12)

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 12:41:53 PM »

I increasingly look at the Chinese-era (1997-2014) as sort of Axl being flung far out onto the high seas as some sort of rock n' roll Odysseus. A fascinatingly strange, epic journey with an elclectic cast of characters along the way (Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Brain, Robin, Dj, etc.)- but still very much part of the "GNR/Axl saga" (to me at least). Anyway- now it feels like (IMHO) Axl's reunited with some of his best warriors (Slash, Duff) from the past and is getting ready to make landfall on Ithaca to reclaim his throne and bride. peace

As far as Robin specifically goes- always enjoyed his work (most of all on Chinese)- but Richard and Frank are the crewmates (along with Dizzy) from the journey that Axl's seemingly bringing with him- and that's cool with me.  beer
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:44:23 PM by Continental_Drift » Logged

#GnFnR
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 12:45:13 PM »

In my book, it's always GNR. I jumped a few chapters when Ashba came on board and even closed the book for a while, but here I am, back in this field.

All I am trying to say is that Robin is part of the GNR history, like it or not. And yeah, it is Guns N' Roses history, even more now that Slash and Duff are back and playing Robin's songs.

Why are you insisting on this? Only one person really wanted him back now.

Because there's always this misplaced uprising and over the top support for Nu Gn'R. Even though the OP started this, and maybe it was troll 101, there's other people here that want this too, and its just a bad idea.

There's always 10 guest to 1 logged in user. More people want this, and it would be a bad idea. It isn't going tohappen so I guess it doesn't matter. So it's whatever.

But don't damn me
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 07:20:16 PM »

Because there's always this misplaced uprising and over the top support for Nu Gn'R.
Maybe because there's always those unfair (IMHO) cheap shots at those guys. People keep bringing songwriting credits desconsidering the ASCAP and correct booklet, people keep pointing out how unpopular the guy is when there's clearly people who cares.. There's a lot of reasons for that. Keep in mind, nobody is trying to do the same with Slash, tho I admit there were a lot of this before.

Even though the OP started this, and maybe it was troll 101, there's other people here that want this too, and its just a bad idea.
Yeah, there is the OP and the user rebelhipi. And that's it, they didn't even bothered to show up again. The rest of the thread is just you, D-X and Nikki trying to discredit Robin and me, Sosso and some others replying to that. Tongue

There's always 10 guest to 1 logged in user. More people want this, and it would be a bad idea. It isn't going tohappen so I guess it doesn't matter. So it's whatever.
What? So if a guest read the topic he/she suddenly agrees with the OT? How did you come up with this?

Sosso
VIP

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »

The fact that Slash plays songs written by him could be no greater proof of its importance in GN'R history.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:18:26 PM by Sosso » Logged

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2016, 08:57:07 PM »

The fact that Slash plays songs written by him could be no greater proof of its importance in GN'R history.

It is quite funny that years ago people were saying shit like oh hes only playing slashs riffs etc. Well now slash is playing some of Robins riffs......
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2016, 09:06:46 PM »

I increasingly look at the Chinese-era (1997-2014) as sort of Axl being flung far out onto the high seas as some sort of rock n' roll Odysseus.

That is brilliant.  An excellent way to imagine it.

Or, he's the rock n' roll C? Chulainn, spending ages fighting single-handed until the Ulaid are ready to fight once more...

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
Continental_Drift
Headliner

MaoAxl (98-12)

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »

I increasingly look at the Chinese-era (1997-2014) as sort of Axl being flung far out onto the high seas as some sort of rock n' roll Odysseus.

That is brilliant.  An excellent way to imagine it.

Or, he's the rock n' roll C? Chulainn, spending ages fighting single-handed until the Ulaid are ready to fight once more...

Ha! Thanks- and thanks for the C? Chulainn reference! Some interesting reading ahead for me! peace

#GnFnR
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2016, 04:43:18 PM »

No.

Robin was a key part of the band 1997-2007. But no more.

Robin was a great player. Wrote great songs. Had lot of heart and clearly loved the band. But with the band the way it is now, he need not be in the group anymore. Slash is now playing solos he wrote. Can't get any higher a statement of his integral part in the band than *that*

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2016, 05:32:06 PM »

No.

Robin was a great player. Wrote great songs. Had lot of heart and clearly loved the band. But with the band the way it is now, he need not be in the group anymore. Slash is now playing solos he wrote. Can't get any higher a statement of his integral part in the band than *that*

Well said.

They no longer need 2 leads to play stuff.

But don't damn me
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2016, 05:51:19 PM »

No.

Well said.

They no longer need 2 leads to play stuff.

They don't need two lead guitars for the old songs. But there is a need for them on the CD songs.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 11:42:35 AM »

I was just thinking... It's kinda funny how Robin (and all the other guys, really) were treated in comparison to Slash now. People always demanded them to play the solos exactly like it was in the old albums. I remember clearly when Robin modified the first half of the first solo in November Rain in 2001 and people claimed it was the end of the world. He actually played it like the original solo in 2002 and eventually handed it to Richard in the same year.

I know, I know. Slash IS part of GNR sound, is a guitar hero, he's iconic and yadda yadda. Still, I do think it was unfair. I enjoy when people try new things and make them sounding fresh. It's obviously not always the case. Still, I really don't think people gave some ex-members a fair chance.

They don't need two lead guitars for the old songs. But there is a need for them on the CD songs.
Actually, there's no need for three on CD songs either. There's almost no overlapping leads - I only can remember TWAT's ending, but that wasn't played like that in actual live gigs. The 3 guitar lineup worked for CD the same as it worked for old songs: it could get heavier because there were two rhythm guitars when one of them was playing the solo.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2016, 01:52:27 PM »

Robin has a lot of heart and loved the band so much, he quit during the process, only to come back and ultimately bolt before the album came out and never toured behind his own work.

Not sure this is a sterling definition of a team player.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »

Robin has a lot of heart and loved the band so much, he quit during the process, only to come back and ultimately bolt before the album came out and never toured behind his own work.

Not sure this is a sterling definition of a team player.
Again, unfair. He worked his ass off in the album for nearly a decade, but the only time he got a real tour was in 2006/07. Im not sure you can blame the guy for not staying in a band with that much downtime.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »

What can I say?

Slash is playing Robin's stuff now yeah.

At the end the the day Robin will of played more of Slash's things than Slash playing Robin's things. Just think about that.

And yes, for that I can't blame him for leaving. I would of left too.

But don't damn me
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: